As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fitness and Weight Management

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    I can now squat and deadlift over a hundred pounds and not feel like I'm gonna die.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    My advice is to honestly not even really sweat weighing yourself. The fuck does the weight really have to say about anything?

For an obese person who won't necessarily see the differences quickly, weight is a metric that should reliably be trending downwards and is a good thing to measure somewhat regularly. When weight gets closer to overweight or average things like build and muscle mass make weight a sketchier metric.

It's also just a good motivator for a lot of people to see that number go downwards. Fitness frequently brings "am I doing this right? Is it working? Is it worth it?" thoughts and having concrete "this is doing something" evidence can be important.

Like my weight stayed at 85-87 for several months and while there were a lot of possible explanations for that and I didn't sweat it too hard, it was a relief to see it finally drop to 83. One way or another, I know that reaching my goal is going to involve that number going below 80 and if it isn't getting close to that by the end of the year I'll know I'm doing something wrong.

tldr whether you should measure scale weight and how often is complicated.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    My advice is to honestly not even really sweat weighing yourself. The fuck does the weight really have to say about anything? Your goal is to become more fit and healthier. You become more fit by exercising. Have you been meeting your exercise goals, which are physically tiring? Then you have met that success metric. Have you been meeting caloric and dietary goals? Then you are becoming more healthy, and are being successful there. Weight less will inevitably follow and can be something to look at once in awhile.

But honestly, what the fuck does tracking pound metrics on anything but a biannual basis really mean? Weight fluctuates a great deal. Adding muscle and bone density increases weight. Water weight and hormonal changes have up to 10 pound swings on your body.

If you put all of your success/failure pressure on the scale, you will absolutely inevitably be disappointed. If you put your success/failure pressure on whether you're meeting your personal commitments and feel good, you WILL lose weight, and you will not be targeting a shitty metric.

Note: Exceptions are made for people DEEP into fitness. A weightlifter will track metrics more closely because they've already met the macro goals and are targeting micro goals now.

So as I've gone on the scale became rather important to me, but I also had a lot to lose when I started. So much so that in the beginning I never weighed in. I didn't want to know how heavy I was or if I was fluctuating a ton due to just starting out a heavy workout regimen and not precisely eating well just yet. I didn't start weighing regularly till the first day I accidentally didn't recognize myself in a quick glance back at the mirror at the gym. Now I check in on the scale a bunch.

I still have some goals that are lower than where I am at, but I'm not sure hitting them is possible without getting really nitty gritty on some stuff, and forsaking most foods. Especially if I keep up on the cardio and lifting heavy (heavy exercise will give you the munchies worse than the dankest of nug), and even more especially if I'd like to keep consuming carbohydrates.

However I'm pushing towards something like 10% body fat at this point, and overall weight wise my fat loss is just being countered by muscle gains.

So I've kinda had to work on not caring what the scale says again. It isn't going to keep dropping like it was over the past year. I keep up on my exercise and I try to keep my calories low. That's the bigger more important conclusion. Being able to keep healthy habits.

I'm still checking my weight regularly, you know, making sure that cheat day/vacation wasn't too damaging, catching if I should chance to hit a new low, seeing how much that dump weighed, etc. but I'm just not necessarily using it as my success metric anymore.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    My advice is to honestly not even really sweat weighing yourself. The fuck does the weight really have to say about anything?

For an obese person who won't necessarily see the differences quickly, weight is a metric that should reliably be trending downwards and is a good thing to measure somewhat regularly. When weight gets closer to overweight or average things like build and muscle mass make weight a sketchier metric.

It's also just a good motivator for a lot of people to see that number go downwards. Fitness frequently brings "am I doing this right? Is it working? Is it worth it?" thoughts and having concrete "this is doing something" evidence can be important.

Like my weight stayed at 85-87 for several months and while there were a lot of possible explanations for that and I didn't sweat it too hard, it was a relief to see it finally drop to 83. One way or another, I know that reaching my goal is going to involve that number going below 80 and if it isn't getting close to that by the end of the year I'll know I'm doing something wrong.

Alright, fair enough. Most of what I've read says that a lot of people drop out in the first year of a regimen because they don't see the scale results they were expecting, and that frustrates them, even though they're actually on track.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Stayed up really late last night and ate crap.

Main problem I have when I do that is I feel like crap the next day and don't want to do anything. Can become a slump if I let it.

Just got to get right back into it so I don't make it worse.

• Options

Alright, fair enough. Most of what I've read says that a lot of people drop out in the first year of a regimen because they don't see the scale results they were expecting, and that frustrates them, even though they're actually on track.

It really depends where you're starting from. Like my weight change since I started lifting again in June? Zero. Within the margin of error. I have old muscle coming back, I'm getting back into a routine rather than starting a new one... any number of things that could throw it off. I need other metrics. If my scale weight is staying the same but my lifts are going up, something is going right. That's what I relied on.

If you're say, six foot and weigh 250lbs untrained, even muscle gains shouldn't cancel out how much fat you're losing on a weight loss diet. Your scale weight should be trending downwards, if it isn't then something is probably wrong. Scale weight is very useful for that. It becomes less useful the closer you get to a "normal" range.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    As far as scales goes I've just kept two things in mind.

- I always try to measure my weight on the same day as soon as I wakeup and go to the restroom to reduce fluctuations.

- I realize on average a healthy amount to be losing per week is 2lbs. Though sometimes I manage 3 while staying within good numbers.

I will say sometimes the scale is off by a lb or two when it comes to week by week that's why I mainly focus on monthly goals even if I do weigh myself regularly.

Like buy a calendar and give yourself a realistic end of the month weight goal. If you're somewhere around there when the day hits you're doing well, if not you might need further adjustments.

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    When I was going through my weight loss push it helped me to weigh myself every day because if it was less frequent I probably would have missed weighing one week and then it's just that much easier for me to fall off the wagon. It's not for everyone since you do see the numbers bouncing up and down on a daily basis but that's not the kind of thing that demotivates me, however, I can see how it would get to someone else.

Also, I was focusing solely on weight loss through eating less with little to no extra exercise thrown in so there was no offsetting muscle gain to get in the way of weight loss.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Weight is just one of many metrics that can be measured. I'd say the big three are weight, body measurements and exercise improvements(weight lifted/time ran, rocks climbed, etc...)

No matter the end goal of a person they should determine what success is for themselves and find multiple metrics that can define it.

I'd say defining useful goals is a challenge in and of itself.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Weight is just one of many metrics that can be measured. I'd say the big three are weight, body measurements and exercise improvements(weight lifted/time ran, rocks climbed, etc...)

No matter the end goal of a person they should determine what success is for themselves and find multiple metrics that can define it.

I'd say defining useful goals is a challenge in and of itself.

I think compliance goals are one of the most broadly useful. Like if you have less than a year of exercise or dieting under your belt a compliance goal is probably all you need

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    He probably cut back on the beef jerky.

I believe it to be him having tamed the forums compared to the wild frontier they used to be.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    so, my fitness has been a bit all over the place since i've been hit by depression and illness and a few other things

but, i have now gone below 95 kilos (209 pounds), which means that, since febuary, I have lost 20 kilos (44 pounds). I'm planning on getting down below 90 kilos (although I'm sure i could get to 80ish if I really wanted to), but christ. That's a pretty big difference, and a decent achievement.

I couldn't quite keep up weightlifting on my own, so i didn't manage to get to my dream about becoming somewhat buff (but hey, maybe later if I ever get a partner), but it's weird, for the first time in my life, to be getting kinda lanky.

i'm looking forward to buying a whole bunch of nice shirts come october

• Options
    I managed a 4 minute plank this morning

• Options
    You should try making them tougher. Actively contract all the muscles involved!

• Options
    You should try making them tougher. Actively contract all the muscles involved!

Ooh i was like shaking by the end of minute 4, that shit is intense. I think my goal is to get it up to 5 total, but that might take a few weeks.

• Options
    Does anyone know if wallsits are actually any good? Back when I wrestled I mentally lodged a rule that if I can't complete a set of something, or if I think I've wrapped up an exercise early, I should go wallsit until I want to cry. So I do that. But I haven't actually really spent much time researching whether wallsits are a legitimate exercise, or some stupid shit I'm doing.

Planks and wallsits are basically how I finish most workouts.

• Options
    Does anyone know if wallsits are actually any good? Back when I wrestled I mentally lodged a rule that if I can't complete a set of something, or if I think I've wrapped up an exercise early, I should go wallsit until I want to cry. So I do that. But I haven't actually really spent much time researching whether wallsits are a legitimate exercise, or some stupid shit I'm doing.

Wall sits are pretty much the same as planks, just for different muscle groups. If it leaves you a quivering mess at the end it is probably good for you.

• Options

Wall sits are pretty much the same as planks, just for different muscle groups. If it leaves you a quivering mess at the end it is probably good for you.

You know what I can't even figure out which lewd joke to make with this

• Options

That's not necessarily true, though. I mean, yeah, you worked SOMETHING out. But was it a useful thing to work out?

It shows up on a ton of snowboarding and rock climbing exercise lists, though, so I'll just consider it a useful target for me still.

Planks are core, and everyone always benefits from more core.

• Options
    Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    I would do squats over wall-sits because of the increased load and more muscle groups involved, but they're great isometric isolation work for your quads and your glutes. I'd put them on par with planks

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    here is a question

if you have a friend who was always on the larger side but has slowly been gaining weight to the point where it is kinda worrisome, over the last 7 years or so

and you know he has expressed desires to drop that weight and get in shape

and in the past you've helped him out by giving him advice and stuff, with workout plans and whatever

but he's kinda fallen off of things and it's kind of getting worse

but like, you want to be nice and helpful and supportive (and you know that, since he's said it, he does want to get in shape and lose weight) - and you know he has some hang ups about people telling him things because of his mom etc, and you wanna be sensitive of that

what's the best way to help him?

without being nagging and knowing he has to want to do it on his own, and you can be supportive etc, but... like... you're worried for his health

like, can i do anything
    i've been afraid to say anything or bring it up

poo
  • Options
    here is a question

if you have a friend who was always on the larger side but has slowly been gaining weight to the point where it is kinda worrisome, over the last 7 years or so

and in the past you've helped him out by giving him advice and stuff, with workout plans and whatever

but like, you want to be nice and helpful and supportive (and you know that, since he's said it, he does want to get in shape and lose weight) - and you know he has some hang ups about people telling him things because of his mom etc, and you wanna be sensitive of that

without being nagging and knowing he has to want to do it on his own, and you can be supportive etc, but... like... you're worried for his health

like, can i do anything

I bet he probably knows his situation. Being a big man myself I would advise inviting him out to do low impact stuff like easy hikes/walks, disc golf, other stuff like that. At least for me getting out and doing stuff with someone is a lot more meaningful than someone just telling me something.

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    here is a question

like, can i do anything

I bet he probably knows his situation. Being a big man myself I would advise inviting him out to do low impact stuff like easy hikes/walks, disc golf, other stuff like that. At least for me getting out and doing stuff with someone is a lot more meaningful than someone just telling me something.

Don't give advice unless it is specifically solicited. Webguy's got the right advice, invite your buddy to do things that create incidental exercise; you get to hang out and do fun things together and it puts you into a situation where if they want to ask you for advice, you'll be right there.

• Options
    That's a good idea, I like that

poo
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Alternatively, if you feel like working out or improving your physical condition, invite him along. Not in a 'you need to work out, like me' way, but rather in a 'hey, people enjoy working out more and are more likely to stick with it [an area I need help in; you may or may not want to hit that point] if they work out together, so let's help each other out' kind of way.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    God, I hope that made sense. It made sense in my head!

• Options
    Yeah, that kinda stuff was definitely an easy thing in college, like I'm going to the gym wanna come let's be gym buddies

That helps a lot

A bit tougher these days with different people in different places and different gyms

But definitely a good idea

poo
  • Options
    I guess that depends on the person and what kind of people you want around. My friends definitely call me out if I start eating outside my goals, and that's the kind of people I want around, because it helps me meet my goals.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    So two people commented today on how my face is visibly thinning now.

I guess shit is getting real.

Now if I can break 200 getting to 160 will be ezpz.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    So I've been working out at home and it's going ok given my lack of access to weights. Just 2 quick questions: I general push myself to around muscle fatigue but even so I don't really feel any strain after a short time. Is soreness a sign of pushing your limits or unimportant?

Also what would you say a good baseline for jog time for someone new to exercising? I've read somewhere that a "couch potato" should be able to jog for 15 minutes and I can't do that now, three plus months in. I haven't timed it (will tonight) but I'm thinking maybe 5 minutes?

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Magus` on
  • Options
    After you've been lifting for a while the soreness aspect kinda just goes away. At least it did for me.

As for jogging, you should be able to do maybe a mile of a straight jog (about 15 minutes). If you can't you can't though, not a big deal. Just stop if you think you need to stop. For me I get stupidly phlegmy when I run, so I have to stop occasionally anyways. Do 5 minutes one day, 5.5 the next, and then keep improving from there. With running it's more an issue with how well your lungs adapt so you'll find yourself picking up speed quickly. The couch to 5k thing is really good for helping you get there. It focuses less on a pure jog and more on building up your stamina with sprinting. I definitely recommend it.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Magus` wrote: »
    So I've been working out at home and it's going ok given my lack of access to weights. Just 2 quick questions: I general push myself to around muscle fatigue but even so I don't really feel any strain after a short time. Is soreness a sign of pushing your limits or unimportant?

Soreness is unimportant, but if you're not pushing yourself to the point where your body is forced to adapt you're not getting much out of it. This is the problem with most home workouts.

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    I started Couch to 5k this week too! I was pleasantly surprised how gently it breaks you into it, and the cheesy music is fun. My fitness has got worse the past six months what with various work/life things getting in the way, but now I've moved house I've no excuse. (Not that my weight has changed, but I feel generally unfit).

I'm planning on taking the stairs to eighth floor of my university as often as I can and avoiding the lifts.

• Options
    I tested my jog time and it was maybe 3 minutes. I'll look into the couch to 5k thing. I think I can do like 1/3rd a mile before I can't catch my breath anymore. I think my form is still lacking though since it seems like I shouldn't fatigue quite this fast. That and I am maybe justing just how fast (slow?) a jogging pace is.

Keep in mind I've been exercising for months and this is my max. It's really disheartening. Hopefully the guide mentioned above will give me an idea of what's going on.

• Options
    think of jogging as a slightly faster walking speed

if you're trying to go sonic fast, you're probably on the border of jogging and running

jogging is mostly slowish, but still faster than walking

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    back down to 207

3 years ago I went from 280 to 199

then I slowly went back up to 215

cut out soda (ok, maybe one or two a week instead of one or two a day), walking 10 miles a week, and doing weights 3 nights a week.

can't wait to fit into my two favorite shirts again!

• Options
    Kamiro wrote: »
    I did deadlifts yesterday morning and then went climbing yesterday afternoon and now I think a baby has a stronger grip than me currently.

Pretty sure you've seen me on this subject before, but that's exactly how I tore my shoulder labrum and biceps head, so I STRONGLY suggest you never lift and climb on the same day. Benching is fine as it's antagonistic, but deadlifts and climbing is bad news without a rest cycle in between.

• Options
    edited August 2017
    Magus` wrote: »
    I tested my jog time and it was maybe 3 minutes. I'll look into the couch to 5k thing. I think I can do like 1/3rd a mile before I can't catch my breath anymore. I think my form is still lacking though since it seems like I shouldn't fatigue quite this fast. That and I am maybe justing just how fast (slow?) a jogging pace is.

Keep in mind I've been exercising for months and this is my max. It's really disheartening. Hopefully the guide mentioned above will give me an idea of what's going on.

Running is a specific exercise that needs to be trained for like anything else. For example if all you do is squats I wouldn't expect amazing things from your bench. You gotta train what you want to be good at. Let me jump on the bandwagon of couch to 5k as well. If you don't see improvement after a month, like you're still out of breath early on, go get checked for asthma or a related issue.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    You have to figure out your limits for yourself. I do some rowing on climbing days, sometimes, though. But yeah, deadlift at high weights and aggressive climbing is a loooot of strain on those tendons. If you've been at it for years and have toughened up your tendons? Maybe you're good. If you're in your first five years, though, it's pretty risky. I've heard it a few times from the climb harder folks, you're either a climber who sometimes lifts or a lifter who sometimes climbs, but you can't be both.

• Options
    edited August 2017
    bowen wrote: »
    think of jogging as a slightly faster walking speed

if you're trying to go sonic fast, you're probably on the border of jogging and running

jogging is mostly slowish, but still faster than walking

I was jogging once with a person and they had me slow way down and it took a lot of mental effort to maintain that speed. Admittedly I was over a foot taller than her but I know I need to work on pace.

Also maybe not do all my exercises each day for 6 days of the week.

Edit: What are people's opinions about the C25K app?

Magus` on
This discussion has been closed.