As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MGSV: a logo creation program with a stealth minigame attached

• Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    yeah, people still borrow or rent games

I imagine this is especially true for AAA games

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    ONE HUNDRED PERCENT COMPLETE
    4492C1DCFB993813AA52A329996C9CDC9810519C

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    I'm still only at 56 percent.

Also S ranking code talker is a bitch. It takes so long to do everything.
    I'm always 5000 short. Ugh.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited September 2015

Regular or extreme?
    After the fight with the skulls, if you go through the left side of the jungle and then climb on the rocks, you can get to the back of the mansion and the only soldiers you have to deal with are the two by the back entrance. After getting Code Talker it's not that hard to avoid all the guards if you just stay a good distance to the right of the road. I didn't even see the armored vehicle until I went looking for it for the objective.

Also, if you continue from checkpoint right after picking up Code Talker it skips his speech and you can run immediately.

Peewi on
  • Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »

Regular or extreme?

After the fight with the skulls, if you go through the left side of the jungle and then climb on the rocks, you can get to the back of the mansion and the only soldiers you have to deal with are the two by the back entrance. After getting Code Talker it's not that hard to avoid all the guards if you just stay a good distance to the right of the road. I didn't even see the armored vehicle until I went looking for it for the objective.

Also, if you continue from checkpoint right after picking up Code Talker it skips his speech and you can run immediately.

I feel like this conversation should be in spoilers.
    You can also avoid fighting the skulls at all by following the river and climbing cracks near the waterfall, and then dodge zombies on the way out for a quick finish.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited September 2015

Regular or extreme?

I do all that. I don't want to lose the checkpoint bonus. The guards are vanished until that finishes anyway.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Man, someone please just do episode 22 for me please

• Options
    I would if I could.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Looking at the trophy data and seeing that only like, 90% of players have finished the Prologue just tells me I have no idea how people actually play games

I found the prologue to be kind of a slog. I can imagine people without much investment going "nah, fuck this". Particularly if they just wanted a shooter.

I've never played Metal Gear before (not counting vague memories of playing the first game), and the prologue was what sucked me in.

• Options
    -Tal wrote: »
    that account's copy may just be playing a friend's game for a minute and not caring much for it, or renting it for a night and not caring much for it

I'd like to see the completion stats on most games. Just from trophies, it looks like a significant portion of people never play past the first mission on 90 percent of the games I own.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    It's pretty easy to tell if a game isn't up your alley, quickly. I borrowed The Evil Within recently, and got maybe an hour in before going, "Oh, this isn't for me."

• Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    I love games

a lot

but I hardly ever finish them these days.

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    I tend to finish games I'm interested in, but I rarely ever 100% games, even if I'm really interesting in them, unless there's something about them that makes getting everything fun.
    Like, I platinumed prototype, but everything in that game was made better by the movement system, and I loved the movement, so I was always rewarded, even when it was a bitch.
    I'll probably 100% this too, just because I want more excuses to run around and do things in the game. But if there's part of that 100% that is boring, I probably wont finish it.
    It's pretty easy to tell if a game isn't up your alley, quickly. I borrowed The Evil Within recently, and got maybe an hour in before going, "Oh, this isn't for me."

In this case the prologue is completely different from the rest of the game and takes roughly an hour. It's actually a psyche out. Hey remember all those old metal gears? This is what they were like.
    Then the next mission is "And now this is MGSV."

You can imagine Kojima stepping in front of you and spreading his hands wide as if to say "Do you like it?"

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    i dunno how much i'd say the prologue is like old metal gears

it felt much more like a modern action spectacle setpiece-based game, like uncharted or somethin

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    like you could use the prologue as the basis for a disney world ride

let's go this way OH NO A MONSTER let's go that way instead

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular

81% here. I guess the sun rises slowly, ehhhhhh? ehhhhhhhhh?

• Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    The opening to MGS4 is not dissimilar

Albeit V lacks the 25 minute breaks between small gameplay sections and is much more dependent on in game models

• Options
    edited September 2015
    Yep, its pretty much MGS4's intro with shorter cutscenes.
    If you replay it, you can't do anything except what the game wants you to do. It's a big interactive cutscene. Anything else you either die or there just isn't an animation for it that will let you. All one way corridors, closed doors except the one you are supposed to go through, etc. Can't go backward, can't interact with enemies in a different way. There's on sequence near the end that is slightly more free, but after that its back to scripted sequences again.
    When I replayed it, I skipped most of the cutscenes, and I do not see a big difference between it and MGS4.
    The feeling of restriction is very similar to the most tightly scripted sequences in previous metal gear games, where on a replay you can't do much but keep going through the story.

I'm not talking about the ambience, or the atmosphere, or the way the story is told. None of that, just the way the gameplay is designed.

Also Kojima expressed that sentiment himself in the guide. It's where I got it from. The prologue is meant to be, basically, what the old metal gears would have been like on the ps4, ie if he could have done them with better hardware.

He seemed extremely enthusiastic about the whole freeroam nature of the game with his comments, and sort of subtly downplayed the prologue. That's where I got that mental image from.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    I just got a new cutscene, a good 20 hours after beating the game. Nothing story related.
    I left poor D-Dog alone at Mother Base too long, and was punished with doggy kisses.

Now that's a scene ripe for some model swapping

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Ashcroft wrote: »
    I just got a new cutscene, a good 20 hours after beating the game. Nothing story related.
    I left poor D-Dog alone at Mother Base too long, and was punished with doggy kisses.

Now that's a scene ripe for some model swapping

Jesus

I thought people datamined this game already

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    I beat episode 22!

• Options
    edited September 2015
    I beat episode 22!

Fuck yeah!

:^:

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Was it ever explained what about the parasites allowed the Skulls to materialize their guns out of nowhere?

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Was it ever explained what about the parasites allowed the Skulls to materialize their guns out of nowhere?

That part was actually nanomachines.
    No, I don't think that was ever mentioned by anyone.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular

s'cool

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular

M-metallic archaea...?

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options

That part was actually nanomachines.
    No, I don't think that was ever mentioned by anyone.
    I assumed it was some kind of wormhole tech.

• Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    What if The Skulls are able to pull their guns out of thin air because they are all protagonists in their own video games.

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    All of Snakes guns are on his model tho.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Stealth camo, same with their other abilities and Quiet's.

• Options
    edited September 2015
    They pull it out of their own hand tho. Like they put their hands together and pull them apart and there's a gun.
    It looks like they're creating it.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    It comes from the same place Grey Fox's sword and gun arm do.

• Options
    I think it looks cool

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    It comes from the same place Grey Fox's sword and gun arm do.

Cool Guy Action Land

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Skulls
    I figured it was the Metallic Archea creating it, because parasites/metallic archea are this game's nanobots.

JayKaos on
    Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    it's wormhole tech. it has the same effect as the wormhole fultons

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    What if you shit a nuke through a worm hole

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options

good typo

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular

good typo

"typo"

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

s'cool

Old men

WARNING

WARNING

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
This discussion has been closed.