Options

Stand by [Final Fantasy] and FFXV (FF9 on Steam *NOW*, FFXV release 9/30/16)

19495969798100»

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Maybe a new Front Mission, but Capcom and Konami are in such a weird place that I'd rather BoF and Suikoden stayed dead for now.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    I loved IX until I left the first continent, then quickly got bored with it. I get why the other continents were largely empty, but that didn't make playing it very fun.
    8 and 9 had such terrible overworlds. They'd very clearly changed their writing & design focus by this point, leaving the overworld feature feeling completely tacked-on and out of place. I feel like it's this more than any other reason why 10+ have no overworld and Square has communicated a complete lack of interest in ever going there again.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Axen wrote: »
    Edit- I'd kill for a new BoF, Front Mission, or Suikoden.
    Cirira wrote: »
    I really want a new BoF game now. I was just looking up BoF yesterday to see when/if a new one had been done and was very disappointed that there hasn't been one in the US in a decade from what I can tell.

Enjoy your Breath of Fire 6.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pq1k_jCHW9Q

On mobile devices. Practically autoplays itself. With gacha and everything. Sigh... At least my beloved Ogre Battle hasn't been tainted this way yet. Can't say the same for Valkyrie Profile.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    The Sauce wrote: »
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    I loved IX until I left the first continent, then quickly got bored with it. I get why the other continents were largely empty, but that didn't make playing it very fun.
    8 and 9 had such terrible overworlds. They'd very clearly changed their writing & design focus by this point, leaving the overworld feature feeling completely tacked-on and out of place. I feel like it's this more than any other reason why 10+ have no overworld and Square has communicated a complete lack of interest in ever going there again.

Huh weird. I feel like 8's overworld was p rad. A bunch of hidden dungeons and random islands and shit really made that world feel fun to explore.

I actually don't remember 9s very well so it's hard for me to speak about it but I was still sad when I learned about the changes for 10 even though I totally understand it.

• Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    I'm on board with no "overworld" ever again. It just doesn't make sense to have a separate map like that when you're at the level of fidelity most AAA games use. Either skip to the interesting parts (like X and XIII) or go XII/XV style, with big open zones that lead to and from interesting places.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    Cirira wrote: »
    I really want a new BoF game now. I was just looking up BoF yesterday to see when/if a new one had been done and was very disappointed that there hasn't been one in the US in a decade from what I can tell.

Enjoy your Breath of Fire 6.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pq1k_jCHW9Q

On mobile devices. Practically autoplays itself. With gacha and everything. Sigh... At least my beloved Ogre Battle hasn't been tainted this way yet. Can't say the same for Valkyrie Profile.

Why must you be the screen door on my submarine?

Also yeah I forgot about Konami. Yeesh, here's hoping they forget about a great many of their games.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Also yeah I forgot about Konami. Yeesh, here's hoping they forget about a great many of their games.

I'd rather they not forget about them but instead decide to sell the franchises off to other companies that will actually care about them :D. Quick, someone convince them this is more profitable than pachinko machines!

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I'm on board with no "overworld" ever again. It just doesn't make sense to have a separate map like that when you're at the level of fidelity most AAA games use. Either skip to the interesting parts (like X and XIII) or go XII/XV style, with big open zones that lead to and from interesting places.

Oh I mean that's a given now. We have the technology now that there's no need for that.

The way FF15 is going about it seems the proper evolution

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular

Gonna sound like a broken record here, but.

Lost Odyssey had the perfect approach to this. List of locations available when traveling, actual overworld map when navigating by boat/airship to discover secret areas.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Ilpala wrote: »

Gonna sound like a broken record here, but.

Lost Odyssey had the perfect approach to this. List of locations available when traveling, actual overworld map when navigating by boat/airship to discover secret areas.

Loved Lost Odyssey! I still feel like it was the perfect evolution of the Final Fantasy franchise (sort of like what FF 12/13 could have been if they stuck closer to the turn-based roots)

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjXs3OYcjQ4

Samurai-themed FF jobs?

That's a cool concept I never knew I wanted.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    @Duffel

I too really enjoy lovingly crafted sprites on the 3D background.

Best part is they'll still look pretty good 10+ years down the line. Maybe not great, but certainly easier on the eyes then their contemporary 3D modeled counterparts.

SUIKODEN?

SOMEONE SAID SUIKODEN?

ARE THEY MAKING A NEW SUIKODEN?

• Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    @Duffel

Best part is they'll still look pretty good 10+ years down the line. Maybe not great, but certainly easier on the eyes then their contemporary 3D modeled counterparts.

SUIKODEN?

SOMEONE SAID SUIKODEN?

THEY WILL NEVER MAKE A NEW SUIKODEN THAT YOU WANT TO PLAY, GO BACK TO SLEEP.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    Yeah as much as I'd love a new one it'd probably turn out like that Ripley clone and be just begging for death. :(

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular

Samurai-themed FF jobs?

Wait a second. Isn't a Samurai themed Knight just a Samurai?
    I know nothing about real Samurai besides....uh maybe Rurouni Kenshin?

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options

Samurai-themed FF jobs?

Wait a second. Isn't a Samurai themed Knight just a Samurai?
    I know nothing about real Samurai besides....uh maybe Rurouni Kenshin?

A better description would have just been Eastern/Japanese medieval versions of classes instead of the typical Western medieval.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    @Duffel

SUIKODEN?

SOMEONE SAID SUIKODEN?

This is the most depressing post on the forums.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    Blackjack wrote: »
    @Duffel

SUIKODEN?

SOMEONE SAID SUIKODEN?

This is the most depressing post on the forums.

Almost...at least we can still play the old games...

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    @Duffel

SUIKODEN?

SOMEONE SAID SUIKODEN?

Why are you so evil and hurtful

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Can't say the same for Valkyrie Profile.

I remember posting a few months back about how I was surprised that VP hadn't become a mobile game yet. It's whole searching for doomed souls mechanic is perfect for a gacha game. They could even force churn by having Asgaard provide incentives for sending certain types of einherjar in the form of extra loot rewards or other mechanics.

• Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    @Duffel

SUIKODEN?

SOMEONE SAID SUIKODEN?

Hey, I didn't kill Suikoden. Konami did. :(

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    @Duffel

SUIKODEN?

SOMEONE SAID SUIKODEN?

Hey, I didn't kill Suikoden. Konami did. :(

As the old proverb goes, "If you speak the truth, have one foot in the stirrup."

• Options
    Artereis wrote: »
    Can't say the same for Valkyrie Profile.

I remember posting a few months back about how I was surprised that VP hadn't become a mobile game yet. It's whole searching for doomed souls mechanic is perfect for a gacha game. They could even force churn by having Asgaard provide incentives for sending certain types of einherjar in the form of extra loot rewards or other mechanics.

I blame you for this fiasco then.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular