Options

Stand by [Final Fantasy] and FFXV (FF9 on Steam *NOW*, FFXV release 9/30/16)

• Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    MrTLicious wrote: »
    So I've decided that it's time to get back into final fantasy, having dropped off after VIII because I didn't have a playstation.

The question is: Do I start with IX or XIII? And is there any legit way to play the others on PC?

Start with IX. It's better in almost every way and I am one of the ones who likes XIII.

IX has a better story, characters, music, etc. It's a classic. Do yourself the favor.

Then do XIII! And play XIII-2 as well.

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    The Sauce wrote: »
    X's opening is by far my favorite. Short & sweet combat tutorial, larger-than-life ?wtf? moments going on around you that don't even attempt to explain themselves for quite while that fill the player with a sense of mystery, gorgeous art design, the creepy solo bit where Tidus is alone, the al-Bhed not speaking your language. It's a fantastically-paced whirlwind of experiences that asks lots of questions and leaves you really wanting the answers.

VI is alright (stellar sound work really carries it), but it suffers from 16-bit-syndrome:
    Powerful empire sends its prized half-esper magic warrior slave alone with two other soldiers, equipped in their state-of-the-art magitechnology, to... investigate rumors of an esper unearthing in the mines of a semi-hostile town? Why only three people? And why send your half-esper slave to encounter a real actual esper when you don't know what's going to happen should she come face-to-face with one? (arguably she did come into contact with them since the Empire had plenty, but for some reason none of them could shatter the slave crown before?)

The numbers thing can be chalked up to system limitations (same reason towns have 7 people living in them), but the rest of it is just bad "we've never really done this kind of thing before and have no idea what we're doing" writing.

Alternate reading: Empire sends it's deadliest weapons to seize magic found in the mine of a small town, brutally crushing their entire defense force with only three soldiers in a terrible show of power. (Also they had no idea that was going to happen to Terra - makes sense to send your magic person to investigate magic creature and likely attempt to enslave it)

Final Fantasy 6 had a great story. The whole thing is basically an opera (i.e. Les Misérables style with your rebels and evil empire and such) which ironically has an opera inside it. It's great!

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Grove wrote: »
    So I've decided that it's time to get back into final fantasy, having dropped off after VIII because I didn't have a playstation.

The question is: Do I start with IX or XIII? And is there any legit way to play the others on PC?

Start with IX. It's better in almost every way and I am one of the ones who likes XIII.

IX has a better story, characters, music, etc. It's a classic. Do yourself the favor.

Then do XIII! And play XIII-2 as well.

As a diehard Final Fantasy fan..

I'd say he should stay 10 and under to get back into it.

12 and up start making weird changes, like you only control one party member and cede control of the others to AI. In 12 it was okayish cause at least you could program them to a degree, 13 its just..set what amounts to a class and hope for the best.

• Options
    MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    I played everything up to VIII growing up. I would love to play X but I'm probably not going to buy a PS2 to do it.

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Get IX. Seriously.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    I played everything up to VIII growing up. I would love to play X but I'm probably not going to buy a PS2 to do it.

If you happen to have a PS3 or PS4 (or access to one via a friend or whatever) there's the FFX HD remaster, which is really great.
    edit: Though buying that new might cost more than a used PS2+ one of the abundant used copies of FFX.

Hell, if you happen to come across a PS2 by whatever means I think I still have my old PS2 copies of FFX laying around and could send it to you

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Nah, he said PC so yeah if it's between IX and XIII (I'm sorry XIII I like you!) but it's gotta be IX. And with all the cheats...I mean boosters, it's the best version.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    I feel like the only person that doesn't like 9. I harp on the gameplay a lot, but just...none of it. I don't like the plot, I don't like the characters...none of it worked for me.

Great music, though. I'll definitely give it that.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    Blackjack wrote: »
    I feel like the only person that doesn't like 9. I harp on the gameplay a lot, but just...none of it. I don't like the plot, I don't like the characters...none of it worked for me.

I'm in the same boat. It just felt stale to me, and I played it when it came out.

• Options
    CiriraCirira IowaRegistered User regular

I don't know that I've ever heard anyone say they don't like anything about 9 before. People usually love Vivi at the minimum. 8 is the only FF that just didn't work for me. I tried to play it and just couldn't get into it. I think I've only ever made it to Disc 2 on 8.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I played IX once when it came out to completion. And though I liked it, today I couldn't tell you a damn thing about the story or the plot. And my pet theory as to why is that the game is filled with a lot of nods and callbacks to previous FF games. And this was still at a time where the "missing FF games" still weren't super well known. I don't know how the release dates line up, maybe II and V just had their PSX release, but it still proves my point. The game either referenced games I hadn't played yet, or referenced the ones I had, but I'm more inclined to remember the original reference. When I think desert antlion, my mind goes straight to IV. I can barely remember the IX version, other than it was a clear nod to IV.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    I played IX once when it came out to completion. And though I liked it, today I couldn't tell you a damn thing about the story or the plot. And my pet theory as to why is that the game is filled with a lot of nods and callbacks to previous FF games. And this was still at a time where the "missing FF games" still weren't super well known. I don't know how the release dates line up, maybe II and V just had their PSX release, but it still proves my point. The game either referenced games I hadn't played yet, or referenced the ones I had, but I'm more inclined to remember the original reference. When I think desert antlion, my mind goes straight to IV. I can barely remember the IX version, other than it was a clear nod to IV.

I honestly wouldn't play the older games on PSX. The load times are terrible, and at least for me, one of them (I think FFV) was broken and just didn't work.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Heh, the Steam card for Amarant says his Japanese name (Salamander).

QA Division: "Who was this guy again?"

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited April 2016

I wanted to like it because I loved the way that it took a tighter control of your party for story purposes instead of just dumping a bunch of completely customizable blank slates on you (aside from limit breaks) who are SUPPOSEDLY all different but not at all and going "eh, whatever" like 7 and 8 did, but I ended up not caring about or even actively hating most of them, especially Quina, Eiko, and Amarant. Then the standard clusterfuck of a nonsense plot kicked in and everything came to a head and lost me completely. It was pretty reminiscent of 8 in that way.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular

I'm with you. The best thing I can say about 9 is that I like it more than 8. Well, the gem system for assigning learned abilities was pretty cool too.

Honestly it's the only FF where I dislike everyone. At least 8 had Rinoa and Laguna.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    FFIX is one of my most favorite FFIX.

Sure, I only played thought it once. But that was because the limitations of the PS1 was really starting to show with the long loading times.

I'm so happy it's out on Steam. Once I'm done with Dark Souls 3, I'll be going through FFIX.

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Other than Vivi, I have 0 desire to ever replay 9. I barely remember anything about it. I don't even recall what Gaia had to do with the plot.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    Other than Vivi, I have 0 desire to ever replay 9. I barely remember anything about it. I don't even recall what Gaia had to do with the plot.

You mean Terra. Gaia was the planet you were on. Terra was...
    (Spoilers for the entire fuckloop of FF9's endgame)
    The planet in another dimension, filled with dead people and empty bodies, but since soul power or whatever is a zero sum thing for planets apparently, needed to have all of Gaia's life genocided in order to move in, so they sent two monkey kids, but one of them didn't have the power of SPRINGTIME OF YOUTH, so he was a failure until he absorbed the soul power and destroyed Terra before killing you, but everything worked out because he also pissed off ULTRA MEGA DEATH, so you killed that, came back to life, and became his friend.

I mentioned it in the FFRK thread, but there is not a single mainline FF besides VI that I've played that had an ending/endgame that I'm confident I could actually explain what was going on or what happened, although I haven't played II or III so maybe they're where the sanity was. Lord knows FFI wasn't though. And that's because VI's plot totally evaporates once you hit the World of Ruin. Oh yeah, Kefka's blowing shit up, like that one house over there as you arrive... and that's it. Not helping was that my favorite characters/party was Edgar/Mog/Sabin/Shadow, and their WoR 'arcs' were "Sup? Let's go." or being dead because that floating continent thing was stupid and it was before the internet.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    A steak! wrote: »

I'm in the same boat. It just felt stale to me, and I played it when it came out.

My only two real problems with it was how slow it felt on the back of broken ass FF8 and FF7. That and Tetra Master being objectively worse in every way to Triple Triad. But aside from that it's probably my favorite game in the series from the PS1 era.

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    9 is by far my favorite FF. The only thing I can ever say bad about it is that it should've left your party as only Zidane, Garnet, Vivi, and Steiner. Everyone else was unnecessary.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

I love the amount thought going into the character animations.

That's the kinda shit that will really make these bros stand out.

hypehypehype

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    9 is by far my favorite FF. The only thing I can ever say bad about it is that it should've left your party as only Zidane, Garnet, Vivi, and Steiner. Everyone else was unnecessary.

This was pretty much my party for 70% of the game, though I'd switch to Quina every now and then, too.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    I liked Freya and Amarant well enough but they were definitely tier 2 compared to the original 4.
    This is why X is my favorite. Not having to choose your battle party was the best.

Also picked up Quina in my game but changed his name to Quinoa, because for years i couldn't see that word without thinking of FFIX.
    I don't remember how it was in the original, but this version seems confused about Quina. There's even a line where Quale says 's/he' and 'him' in the same sentence.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    My Quina will always be a beautiful lady.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

This was pretty much my party for 70% of the game, though I'd switch to Quina every now and then, too.

I used Freya instead of Steiner because she was way cooler.

• Options
    Freya usually joined my group in place of Steiner or Zidane (depending on the part of the game). The only FF9 characters I didn't really care for were Eiko and to an extent Quina.

• Options
    JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    In X, I liked the ability to swap party members in & out in mid-fight (and wish that was a more common mechanic), but hated the fact that only party members who participated (and survived) got experience.

• Options
    I'm one of those weirdos that picks a set party in every jrpg and never changes it even with in combat swapping or if the others don't get xp. They can stay at level 5 forever they aren't part of the murder squad.

• Options
    edited April 2016
    The perfect party system, bar none, was Breath of Fire 4 with party swap mid-fight, the guys in the back recovered vitals, everyone received exp. More big party games should take this approach. Was glad that FFXIII took that mechanic to dynamic battles, with the exception of recovering the "back row" characters. It is a shining example of a great battle system.

El Fantastico on

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    I like how Suikoden does it. Zillions of characters, only 6 per party, but the way experience works characters who are behind reach the current stasis point very quickly, and then you can use basically everyone in giant war battles.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    Wasn't there one where characters not in your party got 1/3 XP or something? If FFX had done that for characters that didn't act it probably would have been perfect.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    The perfect party system, bar none, was Breath of Fire 4 with party swap mid-fight, the guys in the back recovered vitals, everyone received exp. More big party games should take this approach. Was glad that FFXIII took that mechanic to dynamic battles, with the exception of recovering the "back row" characters. It is a shining example of a great battle system.

I liked it a lot, but Mana Khemia's is my gold standard. Identical design philosophy, but faster paced, smoother integration, gorgeous spritework/animations, spent the entire game adding new tools and expanding in both visuals and mechanics instead of just moving from Fire1 to Fire2, and fantastic use of the back row support attack/defense mechanics. MK2's added even more, but fucked up the character balance so things didn't work nearly as well (in addition to all kinds of other issues). Shame the game(s) wasn't hard at all, even on the supposed hard mode, and the plot was somewhere between nonexistent and banal. The whole Dusk series was a slow crawl ALMOST back to Khemia's engine, but just highlighted for me all the things that they're still screwing up with the alchemy system and combat but were so good about MK's.

If a game dumps a mountain of characters on me, I naturally want to play with all the toys in the box, and if they add barriers to that like having to level each one individually or go through and futz with equipment constantly, I get annoyed and frustrated pretty fast. My Ogre Battle armies were always a hodgepodge of goddamned everything possible. I don't care how bad those imps are. At least one of them is ending up in a unit somewhere.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular

Breath of Fire 4 is one of my all time favorite games and this is just one of the many reasons. Combat was so enjoyable in that game and having Ershin occasionally fire from the back row for an extra free attack...goddamn I want to fire that up again right now!

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Wasn't there one where characters not in your party got 1/3 XP or something? If FFX had done that for characters that didn't act it probably would have been perfect.

I mean, that just makes it slightly easier to grind your other characters. I'd rather everyone just get the EXP. This gives me the freedom to swap around the characters as I want without handicapping myself for doing it.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Grove wrote: »

Breath of Fire 4 is one of my all time favorite games and this is just one of the many reasons. Combat was so enjoyable in that game and having Ershin occasionally fire from the back row for an extra free attack...goddamn I want to fire that up again right now!

I have fond memories of BoF4 and the War Shout skill. Ershin says something long and complicated in Japanese. Scias utters an unenthusiastic woof. So good.

• Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    I really miss a lot of those series. As much as I've always like FF, I played just as much BoF, Suikoden, Mana and SaGa when those games were alternatives, and enjoyed them just as much if not more.

They've also aged a lot better (aesthetically) than their FF contemporaries (with the possible exception of the translations of SaGa Frontier and BoF3, which are pretty rudimentary). BoF3's graphics were nothing special by 90s standards, but the sprites were well-animated and the environments were lovingly crafted. It still looks pretty good on a modern TV, whereas FF7 looks like a relic. Konami and Capcom had some of the best sprite art and animation ever seen in the industry, and it really shined in the PS1 era.

EDIT: Although I have to be honest and admit that 2D hand-drawn sprites on a 3D background is by far my favorite style of video game art. Probably a little biased there.

Duffel on
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    I loved IX until I left the first continent, then quickly got bored with it. I get why the other continents were largely empty, but that didn't make playing it very fun.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    @Duffel

I too really enjoy lovingly crafted sprites on the 3D background.

Best part is they'll still look pretty good 10+ years down the line. Maybe not great, but certainly easier on the eyes then their contemporary 3D modeled counterparts.

Edit- I'd kill for a new BoF, Front Mission, or Suikoden.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    I really want a new BoF game now. I was just looking up BoF yesterday to see when/if a new one had been done and was very disappointed that there hasn't been one in the US in a decade from what I can tell.