As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Stand by [Final Fantasy] and FFXV (FF9 on Steam *NOW*, FFXV release 9/30/16)

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    The wife got Squall's blade. I got Edward's harp.

Good night!

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Took another 50 mythril shot.

Finally got a 5* after 3 strikeouts... Ruby Cuirass though... well light armor of that rank is actually pretty great defense wise. And maybe this paralyze SB doesn't have an embarrassingly low hit rate.

Also got a 4* FFI heavy armor... I didn't even know there was FFI gear in yet. :)

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Pulled on SB5 banner in my continuing quest for a Gun Relic. My hot streak has ended at the worst possible time. No Vega, no 5* at all, 11 pieces of useless garbage. I'm feeling super down and disappointed. Blargh!

Orihalcum Dirk
    Ancient sword
    Defender
    Nodachi
    Gravity rod
    Flame staff
    Rune staff
    Dark Bow
    Diamond Shield
    Golden hairpin
    Diamond armor

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Pulled on SB5 banner in my continuing quest for a Gun Relic. My hot streak has ended at the worst possible time. No Vega, no 5* at all, 11 pieces of useless garbage. I'm feeling super down and disappointed. Blargh!

Orihalcum Dirk
    Ancient sword
    Defender
    Nodachi
    Gravity rod
    Flame staff
    Rune staff
    Dark Bow
    Diamond Shield
    Golden hairpin
    Diamond armor

FFV Golden Hairpin I guess? The FFIV one is 5* and it's not bad really.

They need to not have so many of the same name weapons from different games. Like Defender; there's a 4* FFI version, a 3* FFIV, and a 5* FFIX.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    so what did they change with their update? characters got buffed? augmenting? easier medals?

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited September 2015
    If you're thinking about pulling I'd honestly wait. The FFXIV banner that's purportedly coming up is really sweet, with the best physical weapon in the game.

EDIT - Also, the White Dragon in ++ drops a Greater Summon Orb if you feel like farming that!

A duck! on
  • Options
    ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    BGH251F2 was probably the easiest ++ fight. Taunt + Dark Buster just trivializes it completely. Shiva for clean-up afterwards.

Looks like I'll just save mithril for the FF14.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Ff14 event on the 17th looks like.

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Ff14 event on the 17th looks like.

Nuuuu! Too soon! I haven't had enough time to get more mythril!

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    I didn't realize Dark Bahamut would open with a Megaflare. I don't think I'm getting this +++.

• Options
    A steak! wrote: »
    I didn't realize Dark Bahamut would open with a Megaflare. I don't think I'm getting this +++.

how much did it hit for?

• Options
    also, there's apparently an easy way to cheese the fight.

you bring characters who can jump and jump away from the mega flares after the first and then bring characters with dispel and reflect so that you can make him double flare himself. its a very tight timing but it seemed doable.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I'm glad for the character updates. Mog is now useable.

• Options
    ArdorArdor Registered User regular

Yeah, you'll want to make sure your characters have 3500 hp or so and at least, 150 resistance out of the gates I'd guess. Between counting, he will also act. Most of the time, he simply attacks, but he'll hit petty hard even for the back row folks. I put auto haste on my white mage, so I could heal everyone before the next megaflare and under magic break/shellga, it didn't hit very hard at all.

He reflected himself all of once during the fight (I used Advance to beat him) and I dispelled it relatively quickly so he could flare himself.

• Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    So I feel kind of stuck on FFRK at the moment. I think I just need to wait for more events: I have Tyro/Cloud/Kain/Aerith/Vivi all to 50 and only Tyro is broken (@52 right now). I think I've hit a wall in terms of how much further I can survive in the story without improving. I don't want to waste a ton of mithril failing story dungeons but not sure what else I can do save wait for events which provide me with crystals to break the members of my time to level them further. I've gone back and done a heap of elite stages, but once they start pushing past 60 difficulty, I'm getting ground up a bit.

Is it just a matter of waiting out for the right events and orbs to break through? I mean, I know it's technically just a mobile game, so I should be used to more of a time delay. It's just so damned unexpectedly fun that I want to keep playing it.

• Options
    So I feel kind of stuck on FFRK at the moment. I think I just need to wait for more events: I have Tyro/Cloud/Kain/Aerith/Vivi all to 50 and only Tyro is broken (@52 right now). I think I've hit a wall in terms of how much further I can survive in the story without improving. I don't want to waste a ton of mithril failing story dungeons but not sure what else I can do save wait for events which provide me with crystals to break the members of my time to level them further. I've gone back and done a heap of elite stages, but once they start pushing past 60 difficulty, I'm getting ground up a bit.

Is it just a matter of waiting out for the right events and orbs to break through? I mean, I know it's technically just a mobile game, so I should be used to more of a time delay. It's just so damned unexpectedly fun that I want to keep playing it.

I think around 50 difficulty, I started hitting a wall until I started honing abilities and seriously looking into using the retaliate strategy, since it cuts down the amount of good gear (specifically weapons) that you need to start clearing those stages. Once I started using retaliate and honing abilities, I started seeing a huge increase in what I could tackle.

• Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    I'll check that out. I just made retaliate for the first time, and I know I've really been shirking my honing. Maybe I need to look at my -gas and my double cuts and start spendin' orbs.

Thanks!

• Options

Clouds memory crystal is pretty easy to get. its Gapra Whitewood(Elite), level 56. Kain is a level 80 hein's castle elite. Aerith and vivi only come from events.

my suggestion would be to grab some non 50 characters that you have memory crystals for and start using them. maybe egg them to 30 first.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

If you feel weak, it's your abilities that are probably the issue. Level 50 characters are good enough to do TONS of content (all of the story out right now) if your abilities are good enough. Master the Heroic of every Daily at least once and look into what abilities you need. R3 of each element spell, R3 or 4 Curaga, R3 of each kind of break, and R3 of Retaliate are some of the good stuff.

Next thing to look into, how are you using Mythril? Aim for 50 and then do the pull. If you haven't pulled a lot, 3 stars, 4 stars, and 5 stars will all be mana from heaven.

Finally, use all day Sunday for the XP Daily. Pick either characters you want to use (Lightning, Garnet, Celes, etc) to get them ready for prime time or characters who are awful to get them to their Record Materia (Black Mage, White Mage, Summoner, etc).

• Options
    I'll check that out. I just made retaliate for the first time, and I know I've really been shirking my honing. Maybe I need to look at my -gas and my double cuts and start spendin' orbs.

Thanks!

I assume you may know the gist of retaliate, but for the most part, hone retaliate and double cuts. For many of the bosses you'll start facing at 50, having R2 double cuts, maybe 2-3 of these plus a retaliate of R2 or more should suffice. I would also recommend making power/magic/armor break. Mental break is nice for when you are using spells.

For later elite stages where the normal mobs are difficult to kill, you can also use retaliate against them. If you start with retaliate and are able to kill the mobs in round 1/3 with the other 4 attacking your retaliator, you can usually finish that stage on a single retaliate charge.

• Options
    Dunadan019 wrote: »

how much did it hit for?

I have a lot of synergy and resistance gear and it was around 3k. Everyone was in one-shot territory, basically. I ALMOST had him with Retaliate, because if you dispel his Reflect he'll nuke himself on both a regular attack and one counter. He was probably two hits away when he did his second Megaflare.

• Options
    Ardor wrote: »

Thanks!

I assume you may know the gist of retaliate, but for the most part, hone retaliate and double cuts. For many of the bosses you'll start facing at 50, having R2 double cuts, maybe 2-3 of these plus a retaliate of R2 or more should suffice. I would also recommend making power/magic/armor break. Mental break is nice for when you are using spells.

For later elite stages where the normal mobs are difficult to kill, you can also use retaliate against them. If you start with retaliate and are able to kill the mobs in round 1/3 with the other 4 attacking your retaliator, you can usually finish that stage on a single retaliate charge.

One other thing: keeping your battle speed down at 2 or 1 is necessary to squeeze the most usage out of Retaliate. Back when speed was default at 3 and couldn't be changed, I would often run out of Retaliate at the beginning of R3 of trash stages, or only be able to fit one ability between Retaliate instead of two.

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Mastered the boss rush after throwing a mythril at it because fuck these guys. Haven't attempted the ++ yet but it just looks mean, let alone Dark Bahamut. Hopefully those R4 Bioras from Seifer's event hold up!

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options

Thanks!

One other thing: keeping your battle speed down at 2 or 1 is necessary to squeeze the most usage out of Retaliate. Back when speed was default at 3 and couldn't be changed, I would often run out of Retaliate at the beginning of R3 of trash stages, or only be able to fit one ability between Retaliate instead of two.

I think the reasoning for this is: whenever a mob dies and drops something, you'll notice that ABT bars continue charging. So while the order of actions is still correct, time still passes.
    Ilpala wrote: »
    Mastered the boss rush after throwing a mythril at it because fuck these guys. Haven't attempted the ++ yet but it just looks mean, let alone Dark Bahamut. Hopefully those R4 Bioras from Seifer's event hold up!

So the ++ and +++ bosses are not weak to poison, they simply aren't resistant to them. I used advance + retaliate for both of them and used whatever I needed to in order to get the targets (non-elemental like comet).

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Okay yea, advance cleaned up ++ pretty well. Only had to S/L I think twice to get mitigation up in time, lost a medal for damage, but that's that.

On Dark Bahamut, does getting him to hit himself with Flare satisfy the non-elemental requirement? Also I'm reading that while he enters Reflect AI instantly after gaining Reflect, he only goes back to Normal AI after a countdown/Megaflare, so you could Dispel him, hit him with a few Breakdowns or even regular attacks, and hope to trigger a Flare counterattack on himself?

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    Okay yea, advance cleaned up ++ pretty well. Only had to S/L I think twice to get mitigation up in time, lost a medal for damage, but that's that.

On Dark Bahamut, does getting him to hit himself with Flare satisfy the non-elemental requirement? Also I'm reading that while he enters Reflect AI instantly after gaining Reflect, he only goes back to Normal AI after a countdown/Megaflare, so you could Dispel him, hit him with a few Breakdowns or even regular attacks, and hope to trigger a Flare counterattack on himself?

As far as I can tell, you cast Reflect on him, but have to Dispel the Reflect between the time he announces his countdown to Megaflare and finishes casting Flare. You have a 0.3 second window at speed 3.

• Options

As far as I can tell, you cast Reflect on him, but have to Dispel the Reflect between the time he announces his countdown to Megaflare and finishes casting Flare. You have a 0.3 second window at speed 3.

I think around the count of 3, he has a very high chance of putting reflect on himself. I didn't bring reflect and at one point he did put reflect on himself. I dispelled it and his next action was to flare himself.

So he can reflect himself as an action. Reddit seems to say it happens around the count of 3.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Has FFIV Bahamut's Megaflare ever been effected by Reflect? I could almost swear it did in some version, which would be why After Years's Bahamut fight includes a Black Hole to screw you up.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Has FFIV Bahamut's Megaflare ever been effected by Reflect? I could almost swear it did in some version, which would be why After Years's Bahamut fight includes a Black Hole to screw you up.

Definitely worked in the SNES version.

• Options

I think around the count of 3, he has a very high chance of putting reflect on himself. I didn't bring reflect and at one point he did put reflect on himself. I dispelled it and his next action was to flare himself.

So he can reflect himself as an action. Reddit seems to say it happens around the count of 3.

Yeah this happens basically every time. He'll also give you at least one free Flare Counter, so you get 20k off that Dispel.

• Options

Yeah this happens basically every time. He'll also give you at least one free Flare Counter, so you get 20k off that Dispel.

It should happen every time. He has an internal "Reflect check." After taking three actions without the Reflect status, he casts it on himself, unless his next turn would be Megaflare.

• Options

It should happen every time. He has an internal "Reflect check." After taking three actions without the Reflect status, he casts it on himself, unless his next turn would be Megaflare.

I only said basically because I gave up after 5 resets. I'm trying to figure out how to set up my guys to even have a chance, because I can probably heal up and weather a second one, but I imagine that would hurt my medals.

• Options

I only said basically because I gave up after 5 resets. I'm trying to figure out how to set up my guys to even have a chance, because I can probably heal up and weather a second one, but I imagine that would hurt my medals.

For whatever it's worth, I lost 2 medals to damage but none else using advantaliate. I took 2 megaflares (the initial plus one more). I used shellga and magic break to weather the second one and in the meantime, used Yuna to curaga each person to survive one more attempt.

This was with a 5* RS though (one of my few). So if you are not using RS, that could make a difference.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Reading about the EX battles for this event I'm not sure if even want to try.

They sound frustrating as hell.

EDIT: Maybe it'd be a good time to work on Elite story dungeons anyway, so I have some mythril for the XIV event.

EDIT EDIT: Bioaga though :rotate:

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options

You're going to lose two medals to Damage Taken, but as long as you complete all the bonus conditions, killing him and losing zero or one action medals should be doable, since they upped the number of actions you can take per medal.

EDIT: Maybe it'd be a good time to work on Elite story dungeons anyway, so I have some mythril for the XIV event.

Just did the Fiends boss rush, it's not that bad, especially with the re-balanced medals. They don't have a lot of HP. Killed the first two regular, and the last two with Advance-Retaliate. I actually killed Barbariccia before she went Tornado mode, but it didn't matter since I got every other medal in the boss rush. I thought Rubicante was going to have his cloak up

The only thing I would recommend is running Protectga and Shellga over breaks, since every boss has an awful counterattack to physical attacks (which retaliate doesn't trigger).

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Are the Four Fiends counter-attacks 100% every time they take a physical hit, or just a really high chance?

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    Are the Four Fiends counter-attacks 100% every time they take a physical hit, or just a really high chance?

Per this, the % chance ranges from 15-25% for Physical hits on all of them, and 50% for using fire on Scarmiglione (but you don't want to do that anyway).

I was ok with just Protectga and Shellga. The only person I had attack normally was my Retaliator, so there was one attack per turn cycle that might trigger a counter.

• Options

I only saw one counter to my Breaks the entire time through, so they're not that bad.

@The Dude With Herpes I thought the rush was going to be a bitch and a half, but it was actually pretty easy. Most of the bosses have low HP, and you really only need to bring Jump and Thunder and Ice attacks, which isn't the worst. I blew one mythril to get through, but I'll trade that for what we get.

• Options

there are ethers after every boss. its pretty straight forward and you can definitely do it.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Whewww, that White Dragon fight...

First went in trying to do it completely straight, bringing in every piece of poison/non elemental magic I could muster. Wasn't gonna happen, ran dry at about maybe 10% left. Doubtless I'd have blown the time and damage medals anyways.

Ok fine, we'll cheese you out with Advantilate. Utterly spank it 6 ways from Sunday.

...Oh fuck me, I blew the "Deal non-elemental damage" bonus!

Everything else was perfect though, so barely got the Champion. Lucked that one out. :)

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."