Options

Legend of Legacy -- The SaGa returns October 13th

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    But the potions become so balls cheap it is more about how long it takes to buy / use them. Like the amount of time can and has to be weighed against how long the game is

Mutants in that game are hilarious because they can just sometimes skyrocket in stats early on.

I just played through all 3 on the original gameboy like a year ago. I really wish the remakes on the DS came over cause they are SO HOT.

• Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    Yeah, I was fiddling with the GB version of SaGa 1, I have the translated version of the Wonderswan Color SaGa1 too, that one's neat.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    "SaGa" is not a google-friendly name.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    holy crap I had no idea this was a SaGa game. I fucking loved every single one of those I could get my hands on.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I wasn't very interested in this until I heard it was a SaGa game without the official title.

I then decided I must have it.

SaGa Frontier is still one of my favorite games on the PS1.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Okay... I have two boss type things in the forest and am way underleveled and how does stat boosts and skill learning work I don't know how to break this system please help.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    None of it is explained in the manual beyond "use skills to boost them!"

Shame, this is a visually impressive game but the total lack of story coupled with random stat gains has curdled my interest

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Random stat gains were always a part of the SaGa design, though it was usually more noticable when your party was fighting monsters of equal or greater strength that you'd have sudden windfalls of gains per fight, or more success learning new skills.

The problem came in not knowing when/where enemies were stronger than your party, as usually SaGa games were linear to start and then you could literally wander in to a new area that would decimate your team. The difficulty in SaGa games were also usually higher than your average jRPG, but once you noticed you weren't gaining any more stats from an area (usually no new stats after 10 fights or so) you knew you could move on. The curve always trended downwards after a while.

As for it being light on story, well, it's only a demo right now. When I couldn't find the demo at first, I made the mistake of googling and stumbling on a reddit page where people were already shitting on the game for not being what they expected/wanted, it was too light, too hard, not enough story, etc., and I'm all "Well, it's a demo. Being too hard or not what you expect is one thing, but saying there's not enough story yet when you've only played for 2 hours and it's not the full game?"

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Most of what I have read states that the story in the full game is bare-bones at best, but I'd like to be proven wrong

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    Hopefully that's not the case. I don't usually need great story telling to compel me to play a game, but I'd prefer to see it succeed so we can get more of these types of games out there.

• Options
    PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    Last Remnant had a pretty weak story but that didn't stop me from logging 100 hours on one playthrough

pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    Phonehand wrote: »
    Last Remnant had a pretty weak story but that didn't stop me from logging 100 hours on one playthrough

I skip through pretty much all the quest dialog and cutscenes in WoW, but my /playtime shows I've logged a solid year and a halfs worth of hours into that game.

I also played and beat FF Mystic Quest like, ten times. Story helps make a good game, but it's not the driving factor for some people to play. Still, would rather that something like a weak plot for a new game not drag it into the mud.

• Options
    Well, cheesy yet existent plot > complete lack of it.

MQ actually had story going on. Like there was things happening. There are some games (and in the vein of this thread, Saga Frontier comes to mind) where it just just outright missing. You can go multiple places and through lots of dungeons and see a few lines of plot. That meandering can be fun, but for me at least when I play a single player console game I need to have purpose and be at least somewhat led around to enjoy it.

On that point, I really did enjoy the Legend games (the first 3 SaGas) but REALLY disliked Frontier. The combat was neat but just everything else felt so empty and pointless.

• Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    All in all, I definitely like the game. However, it's pretty clear from reviews of the Japanese version that the game is not particularly strong in the story department. Which, to me is fine since I really enjoy the rest of the game, but I can see why that might put off others.

Since progress carries over I haven't felt too bad about spending time on the demo. My timer is at like 4.5 hours and there's still some stuff I've missed. I'll be grabbing this game day one.

• Options
    Lets not forget that the SaGa games have never been really traditional in their storytelling, I don't expect this to hand hold us like a modern FF game either.

Hell, SaGa 1's story was awesome. There's a tower. People keep going in and never coming out. Now you got the boneheaded idea to do the same thing. Good luck!

• Options
    Fired up the demo, finally turning on my 3DS in months.

... So yeah, apparently n3DS XLs have the same defect as original 3DSes -- the bottom bezel scratches the top screen. Simply amazing.

On the plus side, playing as the frog is funny. He has some pretty amusing reactions to things, like the empty pond. Although at the same time I'm kinda interested in the Amnesiac girl's storyline, hm...

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Kai_San wrote: »
    But the potions become so balls cheap it is more about how long it takes to buy / use them. Like the amount of time can and has to be weighed against how long the game is

Mutants in that game are hilarious because they can just sometimes skyrocket in stats early on.

I just played through all 3 on the original gameboy like a year ago. I really wish the remakes on the DS came over cause they are SO HOT.

The good news is that SaGa 1 and SaGa 2 remakes on the DS were both fan translated by fans giving us what Square Enix wouldn't.

I've messed around with 1, but not 2 yet. I also never played the originals on the Gameboy so I can't compare them. I jumped into SaGa with the PS1 and then went back in time to the translated SNES titles

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Zerozaki IshikiZerozaki Ishiki Registered User regular
    I was pretty sold on this after the introductory quest, and unsold pretty fast after.
    Encounter rate seems a bit too high, so just getting to the next map and the boss fight takes forever and feels like a chore. Strategic elements are minimal, and the boss design is cheap bullshit I don't even know how I'm supposed to prepare for. (Maybe the reason palm strike exists is to snap the dude the boss confused out of it so he doesn't kill the whole party, attacking for twice what he's ever done to a monster?)

There's two kinds of hard, and this game is on the kind caused by lousy design. I've got these EO remakes lying around if I wanna do hard by people who know how to make it fair.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I was pretty sold on this after the introductory quest, and unsold pretty fast after.
    Encounter rate seems a bit too high, so just getting to the next map and the boss fight takes forever and feels like a chore. Strategic elements are minimal, and the boss design is cheap bullshit I don't even know how I'm supposed to prepare for. (Maybe the reason palm strike exists is to snap the dude the boss confused out of it so he doesn't kill the whole party, attacking for twice what he's ever done to a monster?)

There's two kinds of hard, and this game is on the kind caused by lousy design. I've got these EO remakes lying around if I wanna do hard by people who know how to make it fair.

You can run from enemies if you don't want to fight them, and you can avoid getting their attention at all if you're careful. Each type has a different pursuit behavior that you can take advantage of.

Some of the strategy is supposed to come from the elementals and the field effect. On my second water temple boss attempt I figured out how to time forging my water contract to steal it away from her immediately after she tried taking it from me. It ate up one of her turns, prevented her from healing, and I think keeping her from using her nastiest attack (although I'm not super sure about that one).

It seems like you can flee in battle from most enemies (including bosses?), and you shouldn't be afraid to flee if things are going south.

A few more tips for people having trouble with the difficulty:
    Your characters probably aren't wearing armor in all of their slots. There's a few things that can potentially be equipped that can be bought at the store in town, and there are some items that drop off of monsters (there's a ring that can drop off of one of the spirit type enemies). The shadow cat things can also drop a powerful shortsword that was a huge upgrade for two of my dudes.
    The SaGa series has actually been really good with LGBT characters compared to many Japanese JRPG series. The Last Remnant is another good example, because it's literally the main characters of Rush and David, though they heavily censored the dialog in the English release sadly (but not the actions), unlike SaGa Frontier.

I really wish they hadn't censored that part. It would have made David's motivation a lot more clear, and would have made scenes like the one in the garden make way more sense.

All that aside, this is definitely a day 1 purchase for me.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular

Have you tried being lucky enough to have an overpowered sword randomly drop for you from a Shadowcat? That's what I did near the end, and it worked pretty well.

• Options
    Kai_San wrote: »

The good news is that SaGa 1 and SaGa 2 remakes on the DS were both fan translated by fans giving us what Square Enix wouldn't.

I've messed around with 1, but not 2 yet. I also never played the originals on the Gameboy so I can't compare them. I jumped into SaGa with the PS1 and then went back in time to the translated SNES titles

2 and 3, not 1 and 2. And I don't think 3 was completely translated?

• Options
    Pretty sure 3 was.

I just do not have the equipment to take a normal version of the game and apply a patch to it to be playable in the DS. Of course I have no idea how that is done, and I assume no one is mentioning the other method.

BTW I actually thought the plots in all 3 of the GB SaGa games were solid. Even if it was devoid of lots of dialogue, there was always something going on to follow. In fact, when it came out I felt SaGa 1 was AHEAD of Final Fantasy in that regard. It applied world building and even established a few NPCs in a simple but believable way. I thought SaGa 2 and 3 had legit early FF stories as well. I have never played the Romancing entries though.

• Options
    SaGa 3 had a great story, but it didn't really have the SaGa gameplay I was expecting. It felt like Mystic Quest using a touch of SaGa -- it had elements and the monster beast cyborg robot stuff, but also levels and... yeah. It's still one of my favorite JRPGs if only because of the story.

SaGa 3 DS went back to the SaGa 2 engine, so... Yeah. Really wish we had gotten that in the US.

Legend of Legacy Demo is fun. I've ran through it as Frog Prince and Amnesia girl, who started with Frog Prince as a sidekick. Amnesia girl seemed to start with almost NO hp but it jumped up quite a bit. After you are done in town you can return to the tutorial area and it's quite a bit higher "level," I think. Definitely wasn't expecting that.

One thing I did notice is that some characters seem to have an improved "default" attack. The Frog Prince has a "Leaping Strike" attack that replaces the default Spear attack, Amnesia girl has a similar one for short swords, and "I just want to be young forever" mage girl has one that replaces the default staff attack. Kinda neat, I am assuming it's related to their natural affinities for a given weapon type.

• Options
    Yeah I agree that SaGa 3 lost that SaGa combat and building. As a kid I actually liked that because it felt more like a FF game (And at that point I thought they WERE FF games because we didn't have the internet to tell us otherwise). The remake basically fixes it in a spectacular fashion and even makes the story more entertaining.

I kind of have a soft spot for SaGa 2 though. I thoroughly enjoyed how that story worked and the whole game was a neat experience from beginning to end.

• Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    I like the style, I like the characters, but I'm not sure if I'm sold on the game systems yet, need to find time to play through the demo.

What I already love though is the music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4iG4kENg4I

Not surprising since I love Masahi Hamauzu's work.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    That one the reason why I choose to get the collector's edition instead of getting it on the eshop

• Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    Talith wrote: »
    I like the style, I like the characters, but I'm not sure if I'm sold on the game systems yet, need to find time to play through the demo.

After FFXIII, I put him up there with my other favorites. Love the FFX stuff too.

• Options
    You should get your hands on the Unlimited Saga soundtrack. I think he did an even better job there than he did with XIII.

• Options
    Zerozaki IshikiZerozaki Ishiki Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »

Have you tried being lucky enough to have an overpowered sword randomly drop for you from a Shadowcat? That's what I did near the end, and it worked pretty well.

I definitely had that sword, yeah. That's what made me hope I could DPS past the confused party member.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    played this a little, but couldn't bring up any sort of menu to save. tried every button including start/select which did... something

• Options
    Jars wrote: »
    played this a little, but couldn't bring up any sort of menu to save. tried every button including start/select which did... something

It takes screenshots, I think? You have to finish the first bit before you can open the menu for some reason.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Is there actually any sort of system behind how stats and abilities increase? From the demo, it appeared to be entirely random. Getting stronger seems to just involve fighting enemies over and over until the game arbitrarily decides to let you be stronger.

jothki on
  • Options
    homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Is there actually any sort of system behind how stats and abilities increase? From the demo, it appeared to be entirely random. Getting stronger seems to just involve fighting enemies over and over until the game arbitrarily decides to let you be stronger.
    That tends to be how SaGa games work, yeah. One thing to note is that in this game the stances used in battle have some effect on the chance of a stat increasing, in that if a character never uses a particular type of stance, the associated stat will never increase for that character or their skills. So once you get past the tutorial and are able to open the menu, one of the first things you should do is set up a few formations, since by default you only have an all Attack stance formation and maybe a one Guard and two Attack stance formation (at least the frog does). I recommend at least making an all Guard formation and all Support formation.
    LD50 wrote: »
    Jars wrote: »

It takes screenshots, I think? You have to finish the first bit before you can open the menu for some reason.
    Also you can only make a "normal" save at the inn, though you can quicksave from the menu and though a button combination, "X" + "R" I think?

homogenized on
  • Options

If it's anything like old SaGa games, there's a way it calculates how strong an encounter is, and you have higher odds of getting stronger based on how strong you are in comparison to those encounters.

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    for those going through the demo, have a question
    is the end of the demo clearing the two forests? I had another location but when i try to go there it says that's it for the demo. I killed the boss that formed from a bunch of tiny guys, i killed a big wolf that dropped a nice ring i think. are there other things to do? I bought a cheap boat and sold my 100% maps to the vendor guy but i don't see any way of getting enough cash for the special armor/weapon. I have a ton of statues and ore and stuff, sell or save?
    thanks in advance!

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Talith wrote: »

After FFXIII, I put him up there with my other favorites. Love the FFX stuff too.

I never finished FFIV13, but after Bravely Default and EO:U2, its refreshing to hear music that doesnt sound like I'm hunting Titans.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Pailryder wrote: »
    for those going through the demo, have a question
    is the end of the demo clearing the two forests? I had another location but when i try to go there it says that's it for the demo. I killed the boss that formed from a bunch of tiny guys, i killed a big wolf that dropped a nice ring i think. are there other things to do? I bought a cheap boat and sold my 100% maps to the vendor guy but i don't see any way of getting enough cash for the special armor/weapon. I have a ton of statues and ore and stuff, sell or save?
    thanks in advance!

Area you may have missed.
    You can go up the stairs where you fought the first boss.

• Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    This game snuck up on me! I used to read the Nintendo Power walkthroughs of the FF Legend games, and The Last Remnant is one of my all-time favorite RPGs.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Well, 100% completion on all 11 maps available in the demo.

I also bumped into what seemed to be some kind of random boss fight? It was a slightly larger than normal wolf shadow and then suddenly it's going all boss fight on me. But since I'd already found all the whispering shards it was trivial (because Block+Water Shield makes physical attacks of any sort useless on the party basically... easily the best charm in the demo.)

I don't know that I'm going to pick this up on launch day (it's the end of the year and that means releases aplenty), but probably sometime in the next six months. It seems perfect for a game to play on the bus (because downtown is hell to drive and parking is fucking expensive I take the bus 20 min each way, and turn based RPGs are so damned good for that ride)

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Found a boss in the Forgotten Woods. 4 elemental enemies merge and create a super elemental spirit. It attacks first, hits for like 35HP, I figure I can survive. Bianca uses Swift Lunge and it immediately counters with some whirlwind attack. 120HP to everyone. All dead. Game over.

Yup. SaGa game effing you up because difficulty knows no bounds!