Options

Legend of Legacy -- The SaGa returns October 13th

• Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    I have learned spells but the only one is healing hands, I've used hailstorm and water shield so many times yet I can't learn them. I also haven't had anyone gain a single point in support.

You won't gain support levels, and possibly support skills, if your not in a Support stance.

• Options
    homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    KiTA wrote: »
    I have learned spells but the only one is healing hands, I've used hailstorm and water shield so many times yet I can't learn them. I also haven't had anyone gain a single point in support.

You won't gain support levels, and possibly support skills, if your not in a Support stance.
    Indeed. Like I said earlier in the thread, you need to make a few formations as soon as you gain access to the menu so that characters can go into different stances in order to have a chance at gaining the related stats.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I'm probably going to restart anyway because having two weeks of messing around and ships is going to throw everything way out of whack

damn there's still over a week til release

• Options
    I'm probably going to restart anyway because having two weeks of messing around and ships is going to throw everything way out of whack

damn there's still over a week til release

Oh sweet, that means I might have cash for it when it comes out. Maybe.

• Options
    finished the demo, want to play more. two concerns though:

magic is really difficult to learn. I have yet to learn hailstorm, even against a shadow giant.
    eloise/liber feel too mandatory because healing packs greatly outclass elemental healing

• Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    finished the demo, want to play more. two concerns though:

magic is really difficult to learn. I have yet to learn hailstorm, even against a shadow giant.
    eloise/liber feel too mandatory because healing packs greatly outclass elemental healing

For the first part, I think this will be better in the full game since it won't just be a bunch of weak enemies and then a super strong enemy. I think at this point I have no chance to actually learn anything from the regular enemies, which won't be the case as I play through the game.

You'll also find more healing packs (I think I have 2 of the next one up from the starter one). And keep in mind that healing packs don't gain stats, healing magic does. I think late game healing magic will outclass the packs.

• Options
    Any idea when the eshop updates?

• Options
    edited October 2015
    It's out!

Now... Who to play as...

Apparently Bianca has a bonus to awakening rate. Makes sense given she's amnesiac...

But... King of the frogs!

KiTA on
  • Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    Been playing for a bit this morning. I do like that you unlock different maps as you go, not necessarily as you complete places. So if you get tired of one area you can go check out another for a bit. The difficult enemies are definitely there. So far it's actually been pretty good about telling me too, only been a couple encounters that caught me off guard and that's mostly due to running into stronger enemy types that I was able to deal with anyway.

However, the game is frustrating. Can't walk an inch without running into an enemy or something in the environment. You'll fight. A LOT. Which I guess helps with the RNG issues of stat gains, but once you've got some decent stats for an area the fights are just tedious. In the first area after the 2 demo areas there's things flying around that if you touch you fight a super strong enemy. So basically if you're exploring and you touch one you just have to start over at the beginning of the map which after 10 or 15 times is pretty obnoxious.

All in all? I think I still like the game. I'm gonna keep playing it, for sure.

• Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Just got this game today, played it only a little bit but liking it quite a bit so far. HOWEVER. I have some questions, as some of the systems seem a bit... obtuse? Or at the very least, non-transparent.

So, I've been able to figure out that attacking with a weapon type gives you a chance to randomly unlock new skills for that weapon. Okay cool, right? But I've noticed some of the skills seem, uh, not worth using at all?

For example, Eloise has two Staff skills, Hard Knock and Punish. Punish has an attack value of 5, and is the skill she started with. Hard Knock has an attack value of 3, and is the one she learned. Why would I ever use Hard Knock over Punish? It doesn't seem to do anything different, just less damage.

And another example, Bianca has several S-Sword skills (because she's crazy good at getting Awakenings, I have found out). She started with Cheap Shot, which has 2 attack. She gained Cut (3 atk) and Slice (4 atk). Again, any reason at all to use anything other than Slice?

Oh also, is there any reason to hang onto items like Glass Fragment/Clay Fragment? Or can I just sell those off?

Edit: Also where do I find Water Shield? I've found Water Contract, Purify, and Hailstorm in the Forest Ruins.

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    If you started with Eloise, she starts with a staff and an improved basic 0-SP skill. All characters start out with something like that. You just happened to be unfortunate enough that the first skill Eloise learned was a weaker basic attack.

As for Bianca and Slice, use Slice if it has no SP cost. It's an improvement. However, in previous SaGa games, some skills could only be learned by using a weaker attack (and then a powerful skill could only be learned off that new attack). Since this isn't a real SaGa game, I can't say if that is the case here, but it's worth some experimenting.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Finally started into this game - the items I find such as metal/clay fragments, can I just sell those or do they come into some crafting setup later?

• Options
    Doesn't look like it, so I just sold them.

As far as neat features go, if you sell a completed map to a vendor, you'll start seeing NPCs prowling around that area, and it's totally worth exploring previous areas to find them. Some NPCs will help you out like providing inn services, and I've even found one that taught me an improved attack stance.

• Options
    They'll also show up if you sell an uncompleted map, but only in the areas that you had filled in when you sold it. I think the idea was you could sell early and get some helpful services to aid in getting through the area, or tough it out with nothing and get better rewards for a full map.

• Options
    Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    Plus, you get more ST for complete maps.

What does ST mean anyway? What is the money called on Avalon?

• Options
    So you can poison even tough enemies, apparently. And it fucking hurts. The gryphons that fly around the ruins were taking 630/tick from poison when I applied it to them, totally gross.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    So you can poison even tough enemies, apparently. And it fucking hurts. The gryphons that fly around the ruins were taking 630/tick from poison when I applied it to them, totally gross.

Status effects have almost always been great in Saga games.

There's a particularly hilarious one in SaGa Frontier (I) that skips enemy turns for the turn you cast the ability... that works on final bosses as long as the character goes before them.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    bee stinger stops working after a while. enemies are straight up immune to poison

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    archwing, why you have so much hp?!?

also, i kind of hate online guides usually but other than continuing to grind and 100% maps, is there something more specific i should be doing?

• Options
    Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    Initially, you start out by opening up all the available maps, looking for all the elemental singing shards, and fighting the three golems to renew each area.

I'm still working in the next part and I have more grinding to do. I got to the point where archwings were easily dispatched, some of the regular enemies are even more difficult and appear in larger numbers. I thought I might have already over-leveled my team, but I guess not.

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    yeah with bee stinger or whatever it is, archwings drop pretty quickly now. spoiling just in case
    so i got to the wind temple area, got the ability to summon wind, but i didn't find a golem there to fight. i've 100% all the howling winds areas and the lair areas. i'm headed off to the burning sea but i feel like i missed some fights?
    guess i need to find a good walkthrough, this one has been OK so far http://thelegendoflegacy.wikia.com/wiki/Walkthrough

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    For the wind temple:
    After you get the Singing Shard, it activates a few teleporters inside the ruins. One of them takes you to a new room which has the golem in it. I initially thought they were only minor shortcuts, but I eventually realized that there were an odd number of them and went back to check them all.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    I beat the game, some of my observations:

large swords might initially seem overpowered, but bows are actually the best weapon. earliest aoe and immune to counters, plus the best one is just a ship drop. spears are the best support weapon with that great tsunami skill
    ship drops can imbalance the first half of the game, use at your own discretion. by the second half though you will probably want to use them to fill out missing gear slots.
    meurs is clearly the strongest character, followed by garnet and owen. that said stacking your party with strong characters you might not want to use isn't a good way to enjoy the game. the only party composition advice I'd say is be wary of stacking too many fragile ones(bianca, eloise, liber). there are some nasty unblockable aoes later on.
    you can play around not having a shield user but for the first playthrough it will make it much easier. shield skills are the cheapest and most effective defense skills. note that filmia does not have shield aptitude.

a few places you might get stuck(minor post ruins spoilers):
    after finishing the temples go to the deserted village
    once the second half of the game starts your goal is to go through the bogsaur marsh and into the bottomless pit.
    once you have seen the events there you want to head to the ship graveyard

Jars on
  • Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Wait, really? Is that the intended order?
    I had been trying to bust into the ship graveyard first, because it was the one I found without needing to buy the map. I was putting the Bottomless Pit off until later because it sounded the scariest.

It was going okay until I encountered two of those ship monsters at the same time, at which point they killed me super dead.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    So is it bad in this game to grind levels and/or abilities like in the other games? Does stuff get locked out or stronger?

• Options
    no you can grind as much as you want. it might make sections of the game boring though because you won't unlock anything new for a while

• Options
    I looked around thoroughly for the second time and I'm wondering if there really is no way into bogsaur without buying the map, which seems kind of lame.

that said if the game starts dragging around tabletop(it did for me) push on a little more, bogsaur and bottomless pit are dramatic improvements in both environments and story. be careful in the bottomless pit though.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

How do you kill the gryphons? I mean I am stuck on the Howling Canyon because the end boss is one and I sometimes get one as a random event
    I am just really stuck at this moment

• Options
    Brainleech wrote: »

How do you kill the gryphons? I mean I am stuck on the Howling Canyon because the end boss is one and I sometimes get one as a random event
    I am just really stuck at this moment

Each element has a specific effect when it's dominant over the field. Fire increases incoming and outgoing damage, Wind decreases incoming and outgoing damage, and I'm not sure what water does myself. I've found it really helpful to make sure to keep wind the dominant element on the field, and just poison the gryphons. The poison is based on % max health, so it does ridiculous damage regardless of the dominant element. Until I got strong enough to just flat out brutalize them, an extremely effective early strategy was to turtle up and let the poison do the work. (you really want someone with some shield skills no matter what)

If you can turn the water fairies to your side as well for some passive health regen, it also helps a lot.

• Options
    I don't have anything to poison them
    I just have the water regen and water shield
    I know the shield but can you upgrade it or?

Like I said I am really stuck

• Options
    I think you may want to explore other places for now. I know I got the poison move(Bee Stinger - wind) well before I started killing my first Gryphons, so it's floating around somewhere. (I don't recall where specifically)

• Options
    I also lack the elemental thing to use wind

• Options
    It's in the tower in Valley Ruins.

• Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    I got started with SaGa Frontier 1 and 2 on PS1, but never finished either. How random the game (and I suppose entire series) could be was a huge detriment, in my eyes. Enemy strength varying from "cake" to "you have NO hope" on the same screen, with oldschool random battles, necessitating a 1-touch quick-save anywhere; that was in no way enjoyable. Neither was RNG determining whether you learn skills in your first battle or after 3 hours of grinding attacks of the weapon category the skill is in. Really, just RNG in general is the bane of my being completely into this. All the other quirkyiness was great. All the attacks and whatnot were way cooler than anything Final Fantasy offered ... Rosario IMpale, anyone? A more structured approach to the same thing would have made me stick with it, but its enduring nature saw me passed on SaGa after Frontier 2.

I went into this blind, and when it hit me what Legend of Legacy was, I was indeed surprised. It still has some of the same issues, but changes in the other parts of it seem to make the whole thing actually work this time: No random encounters, starting every battle fully healed, starting the game with an infinite-use heal for use in battle, and the way formations let you manage who tanks/heals/attacks, etc. I don't own the game, yet, but I did clear everything in the demo but a couple of bosses, and I will be keeping my eyes open for this to go on sale. The whole unwillingness to get away from the RNG or place some kind of limit on it -- a backup system for when the RNG just gets stupid, it sours me on paying full price. (The skill example I gave actually happened while playing this demo, just like I never got Dream Super Combo on my barehand ace after DAYS grindingin SaFr1 .. also that reminds me, screw that Earth Dragon in the Lab.)

Edit: Wanted to add that I think portable is the right environment for SaGa. It's sad that Frontier is on PSN in Japan but not anywhere else; it'd have been be a good way to pass time via PSPGo.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Nitpick: SaGa Frontier 1 did not have random battles, they were visible on the map like in Legend of Legacy. Good luck avoiding some of them though. Can't remember if SaGaF2 was the same, didn't borrow it from my PSX owning friends as much by the time it came out.

homogenized on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    so, how good is this game

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Nitpick: SaGa Frontier 1 did not have random battles, they were visible on the map like in Legend of Legacy. Good luck avoiding some of them though. Can't remember if SaGaF2 was the same, didn't borrow it from my PSX owning friends as much by the time it came out.

SaGa Frontier II was the same. It was also easier to learn various skills in II if you knew what you were doing because it -also- had a 1v1 duel battle system where you could use a guide to input specific combinations for attacks to learn them if you qualified.

Frontier II was an incredible game, but not the same type of game. It was a more linear affair (not non-linear like most of the series) that was extremely heavily story focused telling a storybook tale across three generations of characters, among two different tales that eventually intersect and combine, featuring both high political affairs and one-ring style corrupting evil artifact. And it was all done in a beautiful watercolor style art style.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular

I love this game, but I am a person who likes games that are commonly not liked by other people.

If you liked the saga games from square, you'll love this game. If you didn't, then you probably won't like this game.

If you've never played the saga games... I don't know. It's hard to say one way or the other.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »

I love this game, but I am a person who likes games that are commonly not liked by other people.

If you liked the saga games from square, you'll love this game. If you didn't, then you probably won't like this game.

If you've never played the saga games... I don't know. It's hard to say one way or the other.

Thankfully there is an excellent demo for that (well, it's basically "play the first two areas")

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    I did misremember about enemies chasing you (you're right about some being unavoidable), but "random" is still fairly accurate in that the enemy parties were not fixed to the sprite. The same enemy party sprite, on the same screen of the same map, did not lead to fighting the same group of enemies. You could encounter pretty much anything from the area's enemy list, and their strengths were all over the place, from a mere distraction to something guaranteed to utterly decimate you.

What I played in the Legend of Legacy demo is far more consistent in that regard. If I run into an evil purple cat, I fight an evil purple cat. Sometimes its friends are different, but usually there's several big, evil, saber-tooth cats. Same if I run into a wisp or spider, I fight mostly elemental wisps, or bugs.

Edit I couldn't keep playing SaGa Frontier 2 after all the cool main characters I spent time building up became unplayable for various story reasons, and their successors were spectacularly unimpressive as replacements. It was utterly gorgeous, but I can't handle losing the entire cast to the cruelties of time to focus on a new cast who simply couldn't compare. I'd compare it to having MGS2's story be the second act to MGS, within the same game, only worse, because everyone you were following the story of is out of the picture.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra