Options

Why is the [MGSV The Phantom Pain] thread still here? Just to suffer?

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Reynolds wrote: »
    The feeling of accomplishment for successfully sneaking through? Like, that's what a stealth game is! The thrill and intrinsic value of finding the way.

Getting into a fight is the punishment, the fail state. It's not meant to be the way you progress through the game.

But I was able to progress through and clear the game. And far faster and easier than if I had stopped and crawled through every area. There was no sense of accomplishment for sneaking because it did not give you any in game reward, and was in fact more time consuming and complicated than rushing through.

BjQDUzNCUAAxVO2.jpg

We come from very different worlds, Reynolds

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    PrjctD_CaptainPrjctD_Captain iFizzRegistered User regular
    Reynolds jumping in a thread to complain about a game that people in the thread love? Never seen this before. Oh, wait, yes I have.

Steam: BrightWing
    PSN: BrightWing13 FFX|V:ARR Bright Asuna
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    I'm glad abducting rescuing child soldiers is the most effective way of lowering demon points. Hosing down a bunch of the vicious little bastards with rubber bullets is fun. I'll never get tired of tossing Eli down flights of stairs either.
    No child left behind, thanks D-Dog

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Reynolds jumping in a thread to complain about a game that people in the thread love? Never seen this before. Oh, wait, yes I have.

This usually happens because I want people to help me understand how to play it properly or what I can do differently to enjoy it more.

Sometimes I wind up loving the game (Persona 4, Bloodborne). Or at least enjoying it while not really thinking it is amazing (Danganronpa).

Sometimes I just recognize they're a good game that isn't what I was looking for (MGS3, Rising, probably Monster Hunter, I guess Mass Effect after 1).

Then sometimes the games are actually bad but I finish them and make sure I fully understand everything about it just so I can confidently talk shit about it (Fire Emblem).

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    You just hate love and puppies man

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Reynolds wrote: »

This usually happens because I want people to help me understand how to play it properly or what I can do differently to enjoy it more.

Sometimes I wind up loving the game (Persona 4, Bloodborne). Or at least enjoying it while not really thinking it is amazing (Danganronpa).

Sometimes I just recognize they're a good game that isn't what I was looking for (MGS3, Rising, probably Monster Hunter, I guess Mass Effect after 1).

Then sometimes the games are actually bad but I finish them and make sure I fully understand everything about it just so I can confidently talk shit about it (Fire Emblem).

Note this isn't to say I won't give you any props. When you pick something to play you always seem to finish it, no matter how little you like it. Which is good! More power to you. It just always comes across as diametrically opposed to the rest of the thread, and when people do jump in to offer advice, you usually ignore it on the grounds of "well, it's in the game, it's a legit playstyle" and just continue to dislike it. The best example I got here is that while you can shotgun your way through the game, it's not the intended style, even though the game keys you do it anyway. Saying there is no reward for stealth is true in itself, there is no immediate or overall reward in game really for doing the sneaky thing. Not that there aren't any rewards. But you as the player should feel accomplished for "playing by the rules" so to speak. Really fulfill that badass one man out foxing an army fantasy. That's what the game hopes to accomplish I believe.

The easiest comparison I can make is this: sure you can beat Bayonetta with the awesome PKP combo all day, but you better believe the game is going to give you a shitty score for it and basically ask you to try harder. But if you play by the games rules, mix it up, don't get hit, do fancy combos, the game will judge you better. All Bayo wants you to be is the best player you can be, and it tries to reflect this on the scoring. Not that Bayo is the best example, I know first-hand how shit the game is at explaining it's own systems.

Also, I think you come across as overly harsh sometimes, P4 being my example here.

• Options
    I do tend to come here to complain when a game frustrates me. But complaining online is definitely one of the main reasons the internet exists.

For P4 I just thought the game was wildly overrated, after getting so far in on P3 and not being hooked. So I went into it actively disliking it and just wanting to finish the story so I knew what everyone was talking about and could confidently say it was bad. Then I liked it eventually, but still have a few complaints, and now think it's only kinda overrated. Like a solid 9/10 instead of 11/10 like most people seem to say.

For MGS3 I just wanted to play 1&2 again. I assumed that's what I would get, since they were popular and had multiple updated versions and a semi-remake released. It's disappointing on multiple levels, but it's not a bad game...I just don't like it. But since there's a story going on here, I needed to finish it if I want to play anything else. I've got like three or four other MG games that I've been stalled on because I needed to do this one first.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    "Reynolds wrote:
    I do tend to come here to complain when a game frustrates me. But complaining online is definitely one of the main reasons the internet exists.

Agree wholeheartedly.
    "Reynolds wrote:
    For P4 I just thought the game was wildly overrated, after getting so far in on P3 and not being hooked. So I went into it actively disliking it and just wanting to finish the story so I knew what everyone was talking about and could confidently say it was bad. Then I liked it eventually, but still have a few complaints, and now think it's only kinda overrated. Like a solid 9/10 instead of 11/10 like most people seem to say.

So would you say that you reached out for the truth? Kidding aside, that one is weird to me because they are very similar games. P4 has a much better cast though imo, and the little changes like controlling the whole party add up.
    "Reynolds wrote:
    For MGS3 I just wanted to play 1&2 again. I assumed that's what I would get, since they were popular and had multiple updated versions and a semi-remake released. It's disappointing on multiple levels, but it's not a bad game...I just don't like it. But since there's a story going on here, I needed to finish it if I want to play anything else. I've got like three or four other MG games that I've been stalled on because I needed to do this one first.

Question, cause I don't remember if anyone asked: Which version of MGS3 did you play?

Also, I assume that you plowed through MGS3 on your way to MGSV?

• Options
    I borrowed FES and played that first. Then I actually broke down and bought P3P after I beat P4, just to see if I could get some more of that magic. It's just not the same. Really hoping P5 pulls it off again, it looks good so far.

I'm playing it off of the PS3 collection. I've got the MGS4 disc in there now. And I got Ground Zeroes free from PS+, so that's after that. I don't think I'll bother with Peace Walker...apparently it's not so good?

I really want to play more of Acid, the only problem is having to use my PSP. Ugh.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Peace Walker is... grindy. And that's coming from an MGS fan.

The story is interesting*, and it fleshes out Big Boss as a character, bringing shades of the charismatic leader that everyone's always talking about during the rest of the series, and is actually quite important to the plot of V, such as it is. The game suffers for being on the PSP, but the PS3 version uses both sticks for so it's a lot easier to control.

If you decide to go down that rabbit hole, there are two options:
    1) Just go for the story, and maybe to get high scores on your own. That's fine, and I recommend that you play through the story in single-player mode anyway because you don't need some randos charging through the entire game and skipping all the gameplay.
    2) Try to build up the base/equipment by replaying over and over and over and over... Like I said, grindy. Multiplayer shines here, as taking on the bonus vehicles without some people by your side takes upwards of half an hour if you actually want to catch them (and you gotta catch 'em all, you know).

*Barring the occasional foray into Kojima's ego and skeeviness. This is the one where Paz takes a while to dictate a visual novel about... well.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    I think Peace Walker is like, ranked 2nd or 3rd on my list. imo it was mechanically the most versatile and best-playing Metal Gear game before MGSV came out, had a shit-ton of story and detail, and has a stellar final boss fight that really evoked the classic Metal Gear fight. It's also a continuation of the Cold War setting, in Latin America (probably the most intriguing location and time period used in the series) and fleshes out Big Boss' transitional period into Big Boss. And as much as I love MGSV and think it's one of the betters in the series, Peace Walker executes that particular aspect in a more detailed fashion.

There is some annoying grind but imo the majority of the game doesn't require it (only the very final final ancillary chapter). It also introduced the Fulton system, one of the most elegant gameplay devices ever made to incentivise stealth over lethal violence.
    All this on a single UMD!

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I liked the grind of Peacewalker.

What ultimately killed it for me was the bullet sponginess and difficulty of bosses. I thought it was horribly unbalanced.

But as everyone knows the best Metal Gear game is Metal Gear Ac!d.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    "Something called 'Metal Gear'---"
    "Metal Gear!?"
    "You've heard of it?"
    "No... I just felt like shouting that for some reason."

GNU Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    Hah, I posted earlier about the major ending point of the game, and I'm even further confused now.
    So it looks like there's actually very little additional story after defeating Sahelanthropus. Mildly lame if true, but ok. Do I need to do the stealth and extreme missions to get the remainder of the story missions? I've been stuck for a little bit and unless I need to go do those or just repeat old Side Missions, I'm not sure how to trigger the next story mission. I think I've completed through mission 41.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    You only have to do the ones marked yellow, including important side ops, also yellow. Sometimes it'll stall out, you need to deploy and clear more random side ops and then return to base to keep it chugging along, but nope, you never have to do the harder repeat missions if you don't want to.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    Thanks, that's simple enough.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    But as everyone knows the best Metal Gear game is Metal Gear Ac!d.

Fuck. Yes.

I have no idea what the story was about, but easily the finest resource-managing card-based stealth espionage game I've ever played.

Sure, it was also the only resource-managing card-based stealth espionage game I've ever actually played or even know of, but it was pretty dang fun.

• Options
    Hey, there's Ac!d 2

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    This appears to be the mostest currentest MGS thread.

Someone teach me how to not suck at MGS3. Fired it up to give it another try today, and I am terrible at sneaking. Like, there are guys everywhere and nowhere to hide, and sitting in the tall grass is all fine and dandy until they step on you.

• Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    One of the most important things is knowing how to stalk. Use the d-pad and you make no noise whatsoever walking up behind people. Don't hesitate to just shoot anyone who's about to discover you. Try to hold people up and shake them down for items. You'll get more suppressors that way. If you can't shake a guy down, kill him. Pick up his body and drop it twice for items. It only gets you two instead of the four shaking down does, but it's something. Change your camo any time there's a risk of you getting spotted. Mostly... practice and learn guards' routes.

• Options
    But the Major said not to leave any trace that I was there. Shooting guys seems to be in violation of that.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Man I hated the whole stalk mechanic. This is what analog sticks exist for, people! You'd think you could just lightly push the stick and tiptoe up to them, like in every other damn game, but nope. They'll always hear you. Gotta use the dpad.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    The Major says a lot of things. Scroll up a page and read Reynolds' posts to see just how sloppily you can play the game and still "succeed".

WhiteZinfandel on
  • Options
    Fuck it, got spotted again, so I beat everyone up and got to Sokolov. Then I watched an hour of cutscenes.

Worth it for the intro titles.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Houn wrote: »
    But the Major said not to leave any trace that I was there. Shooting guys seems to be in violation of that.

It doesn't really matter. Shoot all the people you want. Leave as many bodies as you want (as long as they're reasonably hidden).

There's different codec scenes which explain it. If you ghost it, there's no problem. If you kill soldiers, Snake just tells the Major there was no option, and that he killed them before being ID'ed.

Also, very important, are you playing Subsistence? Or the original game? Because the 3rd person camera is a HUGE advantage. The game was originally designed for that 3/4 top down view like in Sons of Liberty.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    CromartyCromarty Danielle Registered User regular
    This appears to be the mostest currentest MGS thread.

Someone teach me how to not suck at MGS3. Fired it up to give it another try today, and I am terrible at sneaking. Like, there are guys everywhere and nowhere to hide, and sitting in the tall grass is all fine and dandy until they step on you.
    Save your game, find a stationary guard, get ye camo index to 75+ while prone, and stalk-crawl right up to him from the front, in the open, until he reacts. I don't remember exactly how close you have to get, but it's pretty close, and before you reach that point, you are invisible, no matter how obvious it looks to you.
    With the right camo, you can hide anywhere at all and move freely without being seen. If anyone's facing your way, just stay outside that distance from them, or take advantage of tall grass and the like (85 is about where they have to step on you to find you).

Also:
    If you run up behind a guy, the moment he turns around is roughly the same moment you get into range to grab him.
    If you can grab a guy and throw him down on his face, and then hold him up, he will stay down indefinitely.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

If the Major wants to not-shoot commies, he can come down to the place himself.

Alternatively, you can just catch spiders and venomous snakes to throw at the enemy. Technically it's not you that's killing the soldiers who get bitten.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    @manwiththemachinegun: I'm playing the version in the PS3 HD collection, which I believe is based on Subsistence. It does have the 3rd person camera.

How do you move bodies? I couldn't figure that out, no button would grab them.
    How to you hold people up?

• Options
    Moving bodies: put your gun away and then hold Square.

Holding people up: get up close to them without them noticing and then ready your gun, but don't fire. The easiest way is to get them facing away from you, either by sneaking up behind or by getting them to face in a different direction (magazines [both print and thrown]), hungry man rations, knocking on walls, etc. You can also toss people on their faces and then hold them up while they're lying down.
    Once you're holding someone up, they're more or less at your mercy, but if you don't watch out some enemies will think you aren't serious and will try to pull a knife on you--watch their hands! Point your weapon at their head or crotch while they can see you and they'll drop ammo or an item. (The same is done in MGS2 to get dog tags.)

GNU Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    I, uh...

I didn't know you could hold people up in MGS2.

• Options
    Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 So Raven Registered User regular
    hah

yeah, you dodged a collection bullet there. I held up everyone on every difficulty to collect every dog tag.

On the highest difficulties you even need to collect a few from marines in the tanker holds. Via creatively pulling them out of the crowd, or putting a tranq in the head of every marine except the one you want. It's nuts.

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    I, uh...

I didn't know you could hold people up in MGS2.

I had the exact opposite problem.

I held them up.

Then tranqed them.

Then dragged them to a secluded location.

Then shot them in the head.

This was a time consuming process. Did I need to do this? No. BUT I DID IT ANYWAY.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    If an enemy is facing away from you, you have enough time to run up at full speed, and CQC slam them to the ground without triggering an alert. You have to be out of sight of other guards naturally, but feel free to be aggressive with CQC. It won't hurt your stealth or kill total, and it beats have to go at a glacial pace for each and every enemy.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Haven't even started playing and they are shoving tits in my face.
    considering that Quiet's attire was one of the reasons (not only, or the main) i did not buy game earlier, this is not a good sign. :D
    Oh well, soldier on and hope for the best.

edit-
    Well, now that i am "playing", i spend half my time staring at some dudes ass through an open at the back hospital gown.
    So atleast there's something for anyone no matter what gender you are attracted to.

Nyysjan on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    Haven't not even started playing and they are shoving tits in my face.
    considering that Quiet's attire was one of the reasons (not only, or the main) i did not buy game earlier, this is not a good sign. :D

edit-
    Well, now that i am "playing", i spend half my time staring at some dudes ass through an open at the back hospital gown.
    So atleast there's something for anyone no matter what gender you are attracted to.

At least one forumer had Big Boss run around the main game with less clothing than Quiet in a show of solidarity.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Good FOB event going on. Guards with super tough riot suits that aren't that observant, fun to sneak through.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    Really should not judge a game based on a prologue.
    But when a prologue that lasts an hour, has maybe a minute of enjoyment in it (i found the whale genuinely funny), there is something wrong.
    Oh well, should get better now that i am out of the hospital and not bombarded with cutscenes every half a minute.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    Haven't not even started playing and they are shoving tits in my face.

edit-

i pretty much used Quiet exclusively as my partner during the game. It made me really sad that it took so long to get her some damn clothing but by golly was it worth it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Well couple missions down, plus one side mission, and things are looking up (literally, for the enemies i keep knocking out).
    Not happy with the controls, too imprecise when the rooms i navigate are full of easy to knockdown or break objects, but apart from that, it's fun.

Loving the Fulton system, i shall liberate Afghanistan, one airlifted russian soldier at a time.

• Options
    the controls are super precise

camo_sig2.png