As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Second Republican Debate Thread - CNN Stream in OP - I Will Fight WWI Navy Barefisted

1545556575860»

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Oh this is wrong thread whoops.

Quid on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    I can't bring myself to watch the JV debate. Just, eh.

you aren't really missing anything. I'm just pretending I'm not drinking alone,

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    MSNBC has the JV debate on in the background while Chris Matthews does his show. Not even bothering to pay it any real attention.

488W936.png
  • Options
    jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    notdroid wrote: »
    Looks like Kasich just had a brief moment of lucidity:

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/10/john-kasich-critiques-gop-2016-candidates-215233
    "I've about had it with these people," Kasich said at the rally in Westerville, Ohio. "We got one candidate that says we ought to abolish Medicaid and Medicare. You ever heard of anything so crazy as that? Telling our people in this country who are seniors, who are about to be seniors that we're going to abolish Medicaid and Medicare?"
    Retired neurosurgeon Ben Carson has acknowledged that he would like to gut Medicare.
    Kasich went on, saying, "We got one person saying we ought to have a 10 percent flat tax that will drive up the deficit in this country by trillions of dollars" and there's another challenger in the field who "says we ought to take 10 or 11 [million] people and pick them up — I don't know where we're going to go, their homes, their apartments — we're going to pick them up and scream at them to get out of our country. That's crazy. That is just crazy."
    Donald Trump has expressed support for deporting immigrants living in the country illegally.
    "We got people proposing health care reform that's going to leave, I believe, millions of people without adequate health insurance," Kasich says. "What has happened to our party? What has happened the conservative movement?"

we need to get back to the core values i stand for

that i've fought for

like voter suppression and gutting labor laws

Well, he is a Republican

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    So is this the thread or will there be a new one

I just turned on CNBC to see Lindsay graham, when asked if republicans could just vote for any republican to beat hillary Clinton, protest no! Vote for me! You gotta vote for me!

It's like watching a child try to reach for the cookies on top of the fridge

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    kaid wrote: »
    notdroid wrote: »
    Looks like Kasich just had a brief moment of lucidity:

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/10/john-kasich-critiques-gop-2016-candidates-215233
    "I've about had it with these people," Kasich said at the rally in Westerville, Ohio. "We got one candidate that says we ought to abolish Medicaid and Medicare. You ever heard of anything so crazy as that? Telling our people in this country who are seniors, who are about to be seniors that we're going to abolish Medicaid and Medicare?"
    Retired neurosurgeon Ben Carson has acknowledged that he would like to gut Medicare.
    Kasich went on, saying, "We got one person saying we ought to have a 10 percent flat tax that will drive up the deficit in this country by trillions of dollars" and there's another challenger in the field who "says we ought to take 10 or 11 [million] people and pick them up — I don't know where we're going to go, their homes, their apartments — we're going to pick them up and scream at them to get out of our country. That's crazy. That is just crazy."
    Donald Trump has expressed support for deporting immigrants living in the country illegally.
    "We got people proposing health care reform that's going to leave, I believe, millions of people without adequate health insurance," Kasich says. "What has happened to our party? What has happened the conservative movement?"

Except that he's just as bad, if not worse:
    Kasich is trying to play to the sane Republicans, and while there are sane voters left in the GOP ranks, let's not be fooled for a second by Kasich pretending to be a nice guy here. Maybe he doesn't want to get rid of Medicare or Medicaid like Carson, and he doesn't want to forcibly deport 11 million like Trump, but he does want to end abortion (and has already closed two-thirds of Ohio abortion clinics with TRAP laws) and is still gunning for a federal balanced budget amendment, which would require massive austerity cuts across the board.

Let's not forget either that Kasich was the guy behind the Contract With America budget, as Digby points out.
    In April 1995, Budget Committee chairman John Kasich (R-Ohio) muscled through the House of Representatives the Contract with America budget plan. It was a towering achievement by Washington standards. Three cabinet departments--Commerce, Education, and Energy--were to be eliminated. Hundreds of small government programs and several large ones--from the National Endowment for the Arts, to mass transit grants, to the federal helium reserve, to the peanut subsidy program--were to be canceled. In short, it would have dramatically halted the government's fiscal expansion of the past 40 years.

The only difference between Kasich and the Trump/Carson wing of the GOP is that Kasich has the benefit of experience and is hiding his massive austerity cuts under the "balanced budget amendment" farce.

In a lot of way, he'd be worse than Carson or Trump ever would be as President, because unlike those two, Kasich knows how the game is played.

As I told my coworker just because he is not as far around the bend as the others running in the GOP primary does not mean he himself is not also around the bend.

You can still see him. The others have passed out of sight around the bend.