Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Ethical Sourcing

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited September 2015 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Ethical Sourcing

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here


Unknown User on

Posts

  • Options
    LittlestarsLittlestars Registered User regular
    I don't know man. Making your own when there's already so many out there... So many people just buy them when they're little, and as they get bigger they end up getting abandoned and needing a home. I think you should consider rescue Tomb Husks as the more ethical choice.

  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    3M7g40g.png?1

  • Options
    GDT1985GDT1985 Registered User regular
    This joke just does not land for me. I get it, but I just don't think it is funny, I can't remember the last time that happened.

  • Options
    OmegaDezOmegaDez CanadaRegistered User regular
    Destiny Arcade.

    It's been ages since PA talked about a game I actually played. Did they ever make a Splatoon comic?

  • Options
    WordLustWordLust Fort Wayne, INRegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    OmegaDez wrote: »
    Destiny Arcade.

    It's been ages since PA talked about a game I actually played. Did they ever make a Splatoon comic?

    Yeah... I don't wanna rain on all the fun they're having, but I am also getting a bit worn out on the singular fixation on Destiny. Especially because it's not just the comics. It's the comics, and the news posts, and the podcasts... destiny, destiny, destiny. I'd like to move on.

    WordLust on
  • Options
    OmegaDezOmegaDez CanadaRegistered User regular
    WordLust wrote: »
    OmegaDez wrote: »
    Destiny Arcade.

    It's been ages since PA talked about a game I actually played. Did they ever make a Splatoon comic?

    Yeah... I don't wanna rain on all the fun they're having, but I am also getting a bit worn out on the singular fixation on Destiny. Especially because it's not just the comics. It's the comics, and the news posts, and the podcasts... destiny, destiny, destiny. I'd like to move on.

    I'm... I'm not complaining or anything, the gaming world doesn't revolve around me and my tastes of course. But I've been reading PA since the very start (well, almost) and I can't recall a single game or event ever getting as much comics dedicated to it as Destiny.

  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Destiny just had its big expansion drop, so it's sort of topical.
    OmegaDez wrote: »
    I can't recall a single game or event ever getting as much comics dedicated to it as Destiny.

    Um, WoW for sure, just off the top of my head.

  • Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Destiny just had its big expansion drop, so it's sort of topical.
    OmegaDez wrote: »
    I can't recall a single game or event ever getting as much comics dedicated to it as Destiny.

    Um, WoW for sure, just off the top of my head.

    Yeah, there are like 40 WoW comics<edit, the archive says 64>.

    YoungFrey on
  • Options
    WordLustWordLust Fort Wayne, INRegistered User regular
    Yeah, they definitely did a lot of WoW comics, but how long has WoW been a thing versus how long has Destiny been a thing? I don't remember them doing WoW comics quite so frequently in such a short span of time. It's the density of Destiny content that seems a little different. And like I said, it's not just the comics. It's more that it's the comics, and newsposts, and podcasts as well. Like the entire PA conversation keeps coming back to Destiny. I never played WoW, but I never felt quite this way about them talking about WoW. But maybe it was just as dense and I just don't remember that well. Could be.

    Don't get me wrong. They like what they like and I'm not saying that Destiny is a bad game and they are not allowed to talk about it or like it. I'm sure for all the people who play Destiny this is an absolute fiesta. But for people who don't like or don't play Destiny, they may feel a little excluded...?

    Bah, now you guys done made me feel like I'm hatin'. I do not share their ongoing obsession with Destiny, but I love PA and what they do.

  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    I don't feel like you need to have played Destiny or know anything about it to enjoy comics like this though. I've never played it but I still liked the comic because the joke here isn't really about Tomb Husks in Destiny, the joke is about the whole concept of ethically sourced/fair-trade/free-range/etc. You can swap in almost any random video game item instead of Tomb Husks and the joke still works, the characters having the conversation would just look different.

  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    YoungFrey wrote: »
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Destiny just had its big expansion drop, so it's sort of topical.
    OmegaDez wrote: »
    I can't recall a single game or event ever getting as much comics dedicated to it as Destiny.

    Um, WoW for sure, just off the top of my head.

    Yeah, there are like 40 WoW comics<edit, the archive says 64>.
    To be fair, some of those aren't actually WoW comics (they're just comics with "Wow" in the title or whatever). Also some are pretty tangentially related to WoW (e.g., the PA auction one).

    Yes, they have done a lot of WoW comics, but just searching for "wow" isn't really going to give you an accurate picture.

  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    WordLust wrote: »
    Yeah, they definitely did a lot of WoW comics, but how long has WoW been a thing versus how long has Destiny been a thing? I don't remember them doing WoW comics quite so frequently in such a short span of time. It's the density of Destiny content that seems a little different. And like I said, it's not just the comics. It's more that it's the comics, and newsposts, and podcasts as well. Like the entire PA conversation keeps coming back to Destiny. I never played WoW, but I never felt quite this way about them talking about WoW. But maybe it was just as dense and I just don't remember that well. Could be.

    Don't get me wrong. They like what they like and I'm not saying that Destiny is a bad game and they are not allowed to talk about it or like it. I'm sure for all the people who play Destiny this is an absolute fiesta. But for people who don't like or don't play Destiny, they may feel a little excluded...?

    Bah, now you guys done made me feel like I'm hatin'. I do not share their ongoing obsession with Destiny, but I love PA and what they do.
    I think another part of it is that a lot of the WoW comics you could understand without having played the game. The strip pretty clearly communicated the joke to outsiders (as long as they had at least a general familiarity with gaming or RPGs or whatever). A lot of these Destiny comics seem to be a lot more "inside jokey," tied very specifically to a character's behavior or personality. They're a lot more "you had to be there" than most of the WoW strips were.

    So that may be why you're feeling Destiny burnout more than anything.
    Gaslight wrote: »
    I don't feel like you need to have played Destiny or know anything about it to enjoy comics like this though. I've never played it but I still liked the comic because the joke here isn't really about Tomb Husks in Destiny, the joke is about the whole concept of ethically sourced/fair-trade/free-range/etc. You can swap in almost any random video game item instead of Tomb Husks and the joke still works, the characters having the conversation would just look different.
    I agree for this comic, but some of the Destiny strips have been a lot harder to pierce, like Wednesday's.

    forty on
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    Gaslight wrote: »
    I don't feel like you need to have played Destiny or know anything about it to enjoy comics like this though. I've never played it but I still liked the comic because the joke here isn't really about Tomb Husks in Destiny, the joke is about the whole concept of ethically sourced/fair-trade/free-range/etc. You can swap in almost any random video game item instead of Tomb Husks and the joke still works, the characters having the conversation would just look different.
    I agree for this comic, but some of the Destiny strips have been a lot harder to pierce, like Wednesday's.

    I dunno, I guess I can see how someone would feel that way, but I got a laugh out of it just from the idea of "Overly dramatic video game character who speaks only in ponderous spooky cryptic statements goes to fast food restaurant." I don't feel like you need to know who/what Oryx is to understand the joke.

  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    I don't play Destiny and was completely lost by this comic. I could kind of figure out the Wednesday one where I guess it was some spooky guy talking about McNuggets, I dunno.

    I agree there seem to be a LOT of Destiny comics tho.

    Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    I don't play Destiny and was completely lost by this comic.

    There isn't really much to this comic Destiny related besides the aesthetic. They might as well be talking about bafmodads.

  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    I don't play Destiny and was completely lost by this comic.

    There isn't really much to this comic Destiny related besides the aesthetic. They might as well be talking about bafmodads.

    What is a Tomb Husk and what is a "conflict" Tomb Husk? Why is it funny that he makes his own? I honestly don't understand any of this comic.

    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    I don't play Destiny and was completely lost by this comic.

    There isn't really much to this comic Destiny related besides the aesthetic. They might as well be talking about bafmodads.

    What is a Tomb Husk and what is a "conflict" Tomb Husk? Why is it funny that he makes his own? I honestly don't understand any of this comic.

    http://www.debeers.com

    MichaelLC on
  • Options
    WordLustWordLust Fort Wayne, INRegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Gaslight wrote: »
    I don't feel like you need to have played Destiny or know anything about it to enjoy comics like this though. I've never played it but I still liked the comic because the joke here isn't really about Tomb Husks in Destiny, the joke is about the whole concept of ethically sourced/fair-trade/free-range/etc. You can swap in almost any random video game item instead of Tomb Husks and the joke still works, the characters having the conversation would just look different.

    I feel like I'm repeatedly not being understood here. I don't care that they made *a* comic about Destiny and I never argued that there isn't humor in there that is impossible to pick up on without having played Destiny. The concern I raised was that Destiny has been talked about a lot lately, not just in this one comic, but in several recent comics, and in news, and in podcasts. It's more of an overall feeling than a this specific comic feeling.

    Despite feeling a bit left out of the destiny club, I'll still come for the humor, though, for sure.

    WordLust on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    I don't play Destiny and was completely lost by this comic.

    There isn't really much to this comic Destiny related besides the aesthetic. They might as well be talking about bafmodads.

    Or a Sourdough Jack.

    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    I don't play Destiny and was completely lost by this comic.

    There isn't really much to this comic Destiny related besides the aesthetic. They might as well be talking about bafmodads.

    What is a Tomb Husk and what is a "conflict" Tomb Husk? Why is it funny that he makes his own? I honestly don't understand any of this comic.

    A Tomb Husk is apparently some kind of drop, but the rest of it - the heart of the joke, IMO - is stuff that doesn't appear in the game at all, and really comes from a place that's antithetical to the "kill people/critters for their phat lewt" model. A "conflict" diamond, etc, is a resource produced by a morally unpleasant regime that engages in wars and other conflicts and bad things; certain parties will rush to assure the concerned public that their products are not tainted by (metaphorical) blood; see also "sustainable harvesting", etc etc. And of course, the most morally pure thing of all is to make the thing you need yourself, at home, where you (supposedly) know everything that goes into it and that it's 100% cruelty-free, etc.

    Again, none of this applies to typical MMO loot, most of which is plucked or ripp'd from the still twitching carcass of something you just hacked/shot/blasted to bits. The joke comes from juxtaposing that sort of acquisition with the sort of business and/or consumer who pride themselves on only selling/buying "ethical" goods.

    Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    I don't play Destiny and was completely lost by this comic.

    There isn't really much to this comic Destiny related besides the aesthetic. They might as well be talking about bafmodads.

    What is a Tomb Husk and what is a "conflict" Tomb Husk? Why is it funny that he makes his own? I honestly don't understand any of this comic.

    Your problem here has nothing to do with your unfamiliarity with Destiny and everything to do with the fact you've never happened to hear of people being concerned with products being ethically sourced/conflict-free/fair-trade/free-range/etc. The fact that the idea of "conflict" Tomb Husks and making Tomb Husks yourself at home doesn't make sense is the point of the comic. The humor comes from the idea of video game characters applying these concepts to mystical sci-fi video game MacGuffins.

    They could have done this comic with Mario and Luigi talking about conflict mushrooms and home-grown fire flowers and you still wouldn't have gotten the joke because they're just using the trappings of a video game to parody something from the real world, and you happen to be unfamiliar with that real-world thing. That being the case I sympathize with your confusion but "Too many Destiny comics" isn't the issue.

    Gaslight on
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    I don't play Destiny and was completely lost by this comic.

    There isn't really much to this comic Destiny related besides the aesthetic. They might as well be talking about bafmodads.

    What is a Tomb Husk and what is a "conflict" Tomb Husk? Why is it funny that he makes his own? I honestly don't understand any of this comic.

    Your problem here has nothing to do with your unfamiliarity with Destiny and everything to do with the fact you've never happened to hear of people being concerned with products being ethically sourced/conflict-free/fair-trade/free-range/etc. The fact that the idea of "conflict" Tomb Husks and making Tomb Husks yourself at home doesn't make sense is the point of the comic. The humor comes from the idea of video game characters applying these concepts to mystical sci-fi video game MacGuffins.

    They could have done this comic with Mario and Luigi talking about conflict mushrooms and home-grown fire flowers and you still wouldn't have gotten the joke because they're just using the trappings of a video game to parody something from the real world, and you happen to be unfamiliar with that real-world thing. That being the case I sympathize with your confusion but "Too many Destiny comics" isn't the issue.

    Well, those are two completely separate issues (the later not even one brought up by me, I'm just agreeing that there have weirdly been a lot of Destiny comics)

    I have never heard of a "conflict" diamond - I've certainly heard of "blood diamonds" though. I still think the whole thing is rather confusing and not really funny even knowing what they were going for. *shrug*

    Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    LittlestarsLittlestars Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Krahulowitz holds a kind of malice for people who feel a certain kind of way about those things, the environment and such, like he feels the need to balance that seesaw and sit on the other end, spilling oil into the ocean and clubbing baby seals yelling slurs at Al Gore while blowing a hairdryer on glaciers in the ice caps, seasoning his triple-decked steak burgers made from six different endangered species with hippie tears.

    I know that not everywhere is like WA, where that ethical stuff runs rampant, but even in parts of Texas where we play chicken with oil rigs, we know that it's a thing. Where do you people live that this joke couldn't be grasped?

    As for the use of Destiny, they're striking while the iron is hot. Maybe if Zelda was released yesterday we'd be talking about ethically sourced hearts, which, you know, they've gotta come from somewhere.

    Littlestars on
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Eh, they're definitely releasing Destiny focused comics at a higher rate than they normally do for games. As a fan of Destiny I actually rather enjoy this, but I can certainly see why someone would prefer a greater variety of games.

  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    I don't play Destiny and was completely lost by this comic.

    There isn't really much to this comic Destiny related besides the aesthetic. They might as well be talking about bafmodads.

    What is a Tomb Husk and what is a "conflict" Tomb Husk? Why is it funny that he makes his own? I honestly don't understand any of this comic.

    A tomb husk is just some bafmodad. The rest is just hippy talk.

    I agree it's not one of their funnier comics but eh.

    Quid on
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »
    forty wrote: »
    Gaslight wrote: »
    I don't feel like you need to have played Destiny or know anything about it to enjoy comics like this though. I've never played it but I still liked the comic because the joke here isn't really about Tomb Husks in Destiny, the joke is about the whole concept of ethically sourced/fair-trade/free-range/etc. You can swap in almost any random video game item instead of Tomb Husks and the joke still works, the characters having the conversation would just look different.
    I agree for this comic, but some of the Destiny strips have been a lot harder to pierce, like Wednesday's.

    I dunno, I guess I can see how someone would feel that way, but I got a laugh out of it just from the idea of "Overly dramatic video game character who speaks only in ponderous spooky cryptic statements goes to fast food restaurant." I don't feel like you need to know who/what Oryx is to understand the joke.
    From the context of the comic (in particular with Gabe interacting with this mystery character in real life) you don't even know it's "Overly dramatic video game character." Maybe NASA announced contact with alien life the day before and that's who this is supposed to be. Yes, you can probably guess that it's a video game character, but why is it behaving that way?

    Here's a contrasting example from the archive link YoungFrey posted.
    For the first two panels, I don't know why Gabe is interacting with this cow man, but then the punch sheds contextual light on everything: why the first two panels are Gabe and a cow man in the woods, what game they're playing, etc.

  • Options
    His ShadowHis Shadow Registered User regular
    The ethics of conflict resources in the context of subjugated spacefaring races.

  • Options
    ChaosPathChaosPath Registered User regular
    GDT1985 wrote: »
    This joke just does not land for me. I get it, but I just don't think it is funny, I can't remember the last time that happened.

    Yeah, the thing is, you need to be able to exaggerate at least a little bit for comedy and this could be pulled straight from a transcript of the kind of shit you can hear people saying to each other 100% in earnest any day of the week up here

  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    ChaosPath wrote: »
    GDT1985 wrote: »
    This joke just does not land for me. I get it, but I just don't think it is funny, I can't remember the last time that happened.

    Yeah, the thing is, you need to be able to exaggerate at least a little bit for comedy and this could be pulled straight from a transcript of the kind of shit you can hear people saying to each other 100% in earnest any day of the week up here
    I think the entirety of the joke is, as @Littlestars points out, "people like this are people to laugh at!" I too don't see a lot of hilarity in the concept but there are definitely people who like to laugh at, for instance, hippies and their ilk, simply because hippies are different or whatever. "I make my own X" people are like the next generation of that.

    For a funny version of the joke see this comic:

    tips-for-autumn-canning.gif

  • Options
    Plastic BoxPlastic Box Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    My dark secret is that despite ferociously lurking The Video Game Discourse I literally, practically play zero video games. So this feeling of 'left out of the joke' that a bunch of non-destiny readers are feeling? Buddy **thumps chest** me, all the time

    It's true if you stop thinking about the game that forms the wrapping of this comic strip, and instead read it in terms of its framework, there's nothing that can't be reasonably guessed from context! But I can certainly vouch that the feeling of "I know the thing! I'm part of the audience of this punchline!" is of no small importance. It's like, when you and your friends manage to spin some errant comment into a sprawling, elaborate in-joke. It's not even a particularly funny joke, most of the time. But somehow things are just more enjoyable when you've been steeped in its contents.
    It's easy enough to get used to filtering out the game-specific flavour of a joke snowclone; that's how I've managed this whole time. But I get why being constantly locked on the other side would be a new, alienating experience for some.

    I think the entirety of the joke is, as @Littlestars points out, "people like this are people to laugh at!" I too don't see a lot of hilarity in the concept but there are definitely people who like to laugh at, for instance, hippies and their ilk, simply because hippies are different or whatever. "I make my own X" people are like the next generation of that.
    I know you don't mean for it to come off this way, but my suspicion is Holkins' intention was a bit less hostile than that! I'm getting a sense the joke is more about the mundanity of it all. "Some things never change, even in intergalactic space wars" and all that. Organic paleo-fitspo young adults just happened to be a silly, convenient go-to, for an object that sounds slightly unnecessary and high-falutin'. Kale chips, celery sticks. Tomb husks.
    I suppose I haven't technically disproven that a great deal of people would be laughing at these characters, though.
    Sorry, let me now dispose of this joke's dissected cadavar, before we can all stand around and mourn over it.

    Plastic Box on
  • Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    "What do I know about Tomb Husks? I'm a Crucible promoter. Up until a week ago, I was a happy Crucible promoter. And then... well, what do I know about Tomb Husks?"

    Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    ziddersroofurryziddersroofurry Registered User regular
    >.>

  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User, Moderator mod
    Look, he's just raising awareness! You can join my cause* to ethically raise your OWN Tomb Husks and help save the environment one hewn husk at a time. #SaveTombHusks #GrindingForJesus #TombBomb

    * Subscribe for 19.99, plus shipping and handling, and you also get a tote bag and a newsletter.

    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    teknoarcanistteknoarcanist Registered User regular
    Concerning the Nolan North blog post:

    Roger Ebert once made a pretty compelling case (writing of Clint Eastwood) that actors who only "play themselves" needn't necessarily be considered lesser for it. As he put it, these actors (and I'd argue even someone as beloved as Morgan Freeman is one) bring a certain psychic payload to their roles. You look at Morgan Freeman or Clint Eastwood in a role, and you don't see them — you see 30+ years of film-icon, and they bring that heft to every role. Every movie Morgan Freeman is in, he's not "Morgan Freeman the actor" he's "~~~!!!!MORGAN FUCKING FREEMAN WHAT WAS IN SHAWSHANK N BATMAN N ALL!!!!!~~~"

    While it's trickier to make that case for a voice actor, I think it could be done. Frank Welker, for example. I know him every time I hear him, even if he's just playing Totoro's snores or a growling bear, and while it would be easy to argue he doesn't have a lot of range and that makes him "bad"...that would be insane. He's Frank Fucking Welker. He is who he is, and his voice does what it does: carry its own legacy.

    Maybe in 30 years, they'll be saying the same thing of Nolan North.

Sign In or Register to comment.