Options

All I want for Christmas is a shiny new [FFRK] UI update (Live!).

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Rius wrote: »
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    If you aren't using the Samurai part of Cloud's kit, then there's not a whole ton to argue him for (besides that he also has amazing stats and great soul breaks).

The great stats also make him the best spellblade.

Final Fantasy Cloud Keeper

At level 50, Bartz has ~100 more HP, 14 more MAG, 7 less RES and 1 less SPD than Cloud. They both have 110 ATK. They're identical in every way that counts!

At level 65, they both have 140 ATK. Still identical!

Obviously Cloud wins over 65 because Bartz doesn't have an MC2 yet, and won't until the next "Choose Your Own Unlocks" event, but his RM2 is "(unknown)% chance to doublecast Spellblade abilities" which sounds amazing.

I mean, the actual reason cloud wins is that cloud has samurai 3 and thus is crazybroken with retaliate while also having p much all the best soul breaks. but if you don't have any of that or don't retaliate, bartz is fine yea.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    3* armor from the SSB banner 100-gem, Lenna's banner got me a 5* Diamond Sword (IX). Nice little bit of synergy!

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Decided to go 100 mythril, and true to word, Squalls SSB, Cecil's SSB, or 100 mythril only. Two 5*s for my efforts, a Circlet (combined for 6*) and the Mage Masher FFIX dagger, which is kind of a bust, and I'm considering sacrificing for an augment stone because the SB is terrible and I have Steiner's XI sword for synergy on a Retaliator.

Ah well. By the time Cloudy Wolf and Ramza come up, should have plenty of mythril to blow on their banners. Screw the 2nd SSB banner fest because most of those characters, I don't care about, and the weapons all pale to getting a BSSB or Ramza/Agrias relics. They're that OP.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Whoever makes the next thread, I hope you continue the tradition of changing the title to reflect current goings on in the game, and I will love you forever if you can work some terrible but awesome puns in at the same time.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I got identical 3* items from each of my 100 gem pulls just now. Yay?

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Next thread should add a tally for how many times we lap the main FF thread.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Next thread should add a tally for how many times we lap the main FF thread.

I will probably have to create a new FFRK thread before I have to create a new Final Fantasy thread, unless FFXV gets a release date in April and the thread blows up.

• Options
    So I'm trying to figure out what I need for Omega. So far I've got:

RW: Advance

Cloud Thundara Strike/Retaliate (Stack ATTACK)
    Support 1 Armor Breakdown/Double Cut
    Support 2 Boost/Double Cut/Auto-Reflect materia
    WHM1 Stop/anything? Auto-Haste materia (STACK MIND)
    WHM2 Stop/Esuna Double Hit materia (STACK MIND)

• Options
    SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited December 2015

Advance will probably take you over the atk soft cap, if so boost isn't wonderful. You can try to do the math but full break might be better in that slot. You might bring along your own reflect and use another auto-haste instead. His first two turns are aoe-blind followed by either another blind or a reflect on himself.

I had one full time stopper and missed one regular stop and I think he got off four turns against me using all 10 casts plus a couple SBs with stop procs. Stop probably won't have 100% uptime even with two stoppers, so watch out for the occasional counter when it is down, which is less of a worry if you are bouncing everything and retaling for almost all your damage.

Savant on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular

Almost exactly what I used.

Cloud: Thundara Strike/Retaliate
    Sazh: Armor Breakdown/Double Cut, Mako Might w/Boon
    Tidus: Boost/Double Cut, Auto Reflect
    Selphie: Stop/Reflect, Double hit
    Aerith: Stop/Esuna, Auto haste

The details:
    -The haste from Sazh's SB probably heavily tipped the scales, but I don't think you'd really need it. He never got to use Breakdown because I totally spaced on the fact he'd be blinded and just didn't find a moment to heal it
    -I'd try to wait for both WHM's to get a full bar, then Aerith would cast stop. If it hit, Selphie would double hit Cloud, otherwise she'd cast Stop. Having Esuna on Selphie might have been better, she could have healed Sazh.
    -Reflect was just in case the auto wore off. It never did, but that might have been because of the haste.
    -Always cast stop on the person with reflect, even if Omega hasn't got reflect himself. I learned this the hard way. Play it safe.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    What's a good strategy for Exdeath?

I too would like to know a good strategy. I went in with what I thought was a good strategy, and I ran out of umph with about 30% remaining and then he just vacuumed me to death or whatever that bullshit spell is called that does like 4k damage with no defenses up.

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    My 100 Gem pulls for Phase 5 and Faris #2 were a 3* FFXII sword (which I now have a 3*++ of) and a 3* FFXII Rod. I do not always get rainbows!

The day after I say this, my daily draw gives me a 5* Full Metal Staff, which is actually a Rod, with 111 MAG at 20/20. It has a shared SB that does AoE Holy damage and is actually MAG based, and uses a NAT damage formula so it doesn't count as BLM or WHM.

Don't know what to think of this other than the game keeps telling me to play all mage parties and I'm getting the message.

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    My 100 Gem pulls for Phase 5 and Faris #2 were a 3* FFXII sword (which I now have a 3*++ of) and a 3* FFXII Rod. I do not always get rainbows!

The day after I say this, my daily draw gives me a 5* Full Metal Staff, which is actually a Rod, with 111 MAG at 20/20. It has a shared SB that does AoE Holy damage and is actually MAG based, and uses a NAT damage formula so it doesn't count as BLM or WHM.

Don't know what to think of this other than the game keeps telling me to play all mage parties and I'm getting the message.

I think that Rod has a strange niche in one of the later misfortune battles where you can't (or shouldn't) use magic. I'll have to look it up.

• Options
    ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    Wish I had your luck! I parked 50 mithril in the Bartz banner 2 with no 5*. Fate has told me a 4+ axe for ffv is the best I get for now.

I think I will now be saving for bssb and fft banners since I have good hones for mage stuff and all realms save 8 with pretty good to great retaliate synergy.

• Options
    As much as I would love to have the Aevis Killer bow, I think it's time to begin saving mithril again. My next 50 will go towards the Beginner's Choice, so I can secure Cyan's Katana and have at least one 5* Katana in my collection. Then I'll start saving for Cloud's Super Saiyan Soul Break Supreme.

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Fuck Exdeath and the boss rush on this event. I'm not sure I'm going to be able to get Lenna's crystal, and I really want it. Spent almost 40 minutes beating Exdeath, then I couldn't get past the first boss in the rush (because it's all random bullshit status effects that can just up and screw you over with no control).

This is what I used to beat Exdeath:

Gilgamesh (with his Kotetsu) using Armor Break and Double Cut, making him a solid damage dealer
    P.Cecil with Protectga and Shellga (have a decent V-synergy axe on him for mediocre damage)
    Rinoa with Slow and Thundaja (she can't use Slowga and I don't have it honed enough anyway)
    Wakka with Power Breakdown and Magic Breakdown (with All-Rounder, so his damage is passable)
    Lenna with Curaga and Diaga
    The RM set wasn't what I was looking for, so I went with Black Materia for some burst damage in the end

Exdeath is a chump the first half of the fight. As long as he doesn't hit you with an early Doom, he's not going to do much to you. Mitigations are critical at all times. Rinoa cast Slow almost without pause; I'd throw out a single Thundaja after one landed, but then I'd go right back to Slow. It only lasts for about four rounds on Exdeath, and you absolutely must have it up on him at all times (frequent restarts were because it would just refuse to land, especially late in the fight).

Try to avoid hitting him with your powerful damage stuff too early. Once he gets to a bit under half his health, he gets really fast, attacks twice, and randomly does Counter Dispel. BEFORE THIS HAPPENS, you need to reset your defenses, land Slow again, and have your Soul Breaks ready (this is the biggest reason not to nuke early, you want to build gauges). Go ahead and use stuff like Rampart and Mass Regen (if your RM is a wall then even better, use it at this point). Then nuke the crap out of him.

The biggest trick is getting off Diaga with your healer in the second half. It can deal >9000 damage per hit, making it important for downing the boss, but your healer is going to be stressed every time Exdeath uses one of his big multi-damage spells. If you keep Breakdowns going and your -ga defenses up, his Vacuum attack should hit for less than 1500, his regular attacks for under 1000. Then it's just a race to get him down before Slow wears off (this is where you use all your Breaks; Death Claw and Wishing Star in particular did incredible damage for me, and Attack Reels made Wakka more useful between Breakdowns).

Fleur de Alys on
    Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    My problem with Exdeath has been when Shell and Stoneskin wear off and I'm out of charges. Then I'm fucked.

• Options
    edited December 2015
    Exdeath (Ultimate) down.

Admittedly, a bit of luck was required on my part. Here was my setup.

Y'shtola: Curaja R4/Protega R2, Mako Might RM since I have SS2.
    P. Cecil: Magic Lure R2/Shellga R2, Double Hit RM
    Terra: Firaja R3/Blizzaja R3 (to meet bonus requirements), Devotion RM
    Cloud: Thundaga Strike R4/Retaliate R5, Dragoon Determination RM
    Sazh: Full Break R2/Magic Breakdown R4, Dr. Mog's Teachings RM, since I have Boon

Y'shtola and Sazh open up immediately with mitigation SBs, but P. Cecil also pops a use of Shellga in case he goes first before Exdeath and Sazh to minimize first hit RNG. Cloud sets himself up as required while Terra hits objectives. Her magic damage is actually stronger than Cloud's counterhits so she continues to cast spells instead of beat him with a stick. Sazh is on a rotation of Full Break>Magic Breakdown>Attack Cloud while hasted, so he's building SB for a second Boon while also getting in a little extra damage. Cecil is hitting Cloud twice every turn until Exdeath hits 50% where he then adds a use of Magic Lure every once in a while. I had Cecil equipped with a Crystal Armor+ and the Protect Ring for additional resistance/HP. His resistance was only 187 but even that (with all the mitigation AND Magic Lure) reduced the damage from Exdeath's single target spells down to about 300-400 damage. Y'shtola fired off one Protega and spent the rest of the time casting Curaja as needed to build a second SB before SS2 wore off. It is imperative. If you go with a caster-heavy team, SS2/SG is already two uses, so you won't have to worry about that.

My Y'shtola does have Medica 2 as well, but I got by without casting an AoE heal, which I honestly think is where the luck comes in to play, like all boss fights. At 50% health, Exdeath favors his single target spells, so P. Cecil will eat most of the damage and the rest of the team will take minimal amounts, but there's no doubt that Exdeath might be a jerk and hit you with a Dispel, or constantly Earth Shaker/Vacuum Wave. Dispel will not remove effects like SS2/SG or Advance, but you will lose Protega and Shellga, and a Shellga should go up ASAP, which is why I have it on P. Cecil for emergency use instead of Y'shtola as she'll need to do a Medica 2 or Curaja instead. On my killing fight, Exdeath did not cast Dispel once. I only S/L'd maybe 3-4 times. -2 medals for damage taken, -1 for turns. Mastered.

Obviously not everyone can use this set up, so ymmv, but I hope this helps.

El Fantastico on

• Options
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    My problem with Exdeath has been when Shell and Stoneskin wear off and I'm out of charges. Then I'm fucked.
    Save Stoneskin until the second half; you don't need it on the first half.

Can you hone Shellga once? Took me three casts due to spending so much time healing / casting Slow. Worst case you could try bringing a Boon along (the Haste will be very nice) -- in that case use Shellga for the first bit and Boon for the second.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    When you say "second half" are you referring to some sort of form change? Because I haven't even killed his first form if there are multiple forms involved. Or if you're just referring to him getting to 50%, what changes at that point?

I've got Sasz with his Vega 42's. I didn't bring him on my last run, but I can try it with him.

• Options
    Yeah, there's no visual effect for Exdeath at 50%. He'll just start using single target spells more and acts a bit faster than 100-51%.

• Options
    I noticed that if Exdeath gets a killing blow, he immediately gets a second free cast. He can wipe a party real quick.

• Options
    Ah, right, he also gets to doublecast at sub-50%, so there's that, too. Mitigation becomes extra important at that 50% mark. Shellga, Magic Breakdown, Magic Lure should help, but Lure won't do anything when he wants to bully you with AoE casts.

• Options
    edited December 2015
    He acts almost twice as fast below 50% health. That plus his double actions (sometimes it's an attack) means his damage output effectively quadruples, especially if you consider his Counter Dispel.

That's why you need to save your big damage abilities and Soul Breaks for this stage, and you need to make sure you've refreshed everything you can (protectga, shellga, slow, breaks, and if possible -- wall, regen, and haste) just before you start that portion of the battle.

I would have Championed my successful run, but he threw two big attacks at P.Cecil and downed him just before I hit him with the killing blow. Gargghkjshalkjghd.

Fleur de Alys on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I've been throwing damn near all these upgrade materials I've been getting towards weapons, even adamantite. Still got 10 or so items to get through, but I think I can do it. Will likely not have the chance to stockpile a bunch for future pulls like I wanted, but that's okay as long as I can get through this backlog.

• Options
    Beat Exdeath with Double White Mages and Pecil.

Now on the boss rush and good god. Dragon Pod is the worst. I just want to blow past it with Advantialiate, but that's hard when 3 of the powders can incapacitate Gilgamesh, and they can't be dodged with Retaliate. And I don't have any moves that can kill a crop of dragon flowers in one go.

• Options
    I tried Sleep on the flowers with no luck so far (brought it for the medals on the second boss). Looks like all the damage is magic (same for the final boss set?), so this is definitely a Resistance / Shell rush.

Any other mitigations work? Or should I keep trying Sleep and hope for better luck?

• Options
    BluecyanBluecyan Buzz.. Buzz Buzz? BUZZ! Buzz buzz BuzzRegistered User regular
    Exdeath (Ultimate) down.

Admittedly, a bit of luck was required on my part. Here was my setup.

Y'shtola: Curaja R4/Protega R2, Mako Might RM since I have SS2.
    P. Cecil: Magic Lure R2/Shellga R2, Double Hit RM
    Terra: Firaja R3/Blizzaja R3 (to meet bonus requirements), Devotion RM
    Cloud: Thundaga Strike R4/Retaliate R5, Dragoon Determination RM
    Sazh: Full Break R2/Magic Breakdown R4, Dr. Mog's Teachings RM, since I have Boon

Y'shtola and Sazh open up immediately with mitigation SBs, but P. Cecil also pops a use of Shellga in case he goes first before Exdeath and Sazh to minimize first hit RNG. Cloud sets himself up as required while Terra hits objectives. Her magic damage is actually stronger than Cloud's counterhits so she continues to cast spells instead of beat him with a stick. Sazh is on a rotation of Full Break>Magic Breakdown>Attack Cloud while hasted, so he's building SB for a second Boon while also getting in a little extra damage. Cecil is hitting Cloud twice every turn until Exdeath hits 50% where he then adds a use of Magic Lure every once in a while. I had Cecil equipped with a Crystal Armor+ and the Protect Ring for additional resistance/HP. His resistance was only 187 but even that (with all the mitigation AND Magic Lure) reduced the damage from Exdeath's single target spells down to about 300-400 damage. Y'shtola fired off one Protega and spent the rest of the time casting Curaja as needed to build a second SB before SS2 wore off. It is imperative. If you go with a caster-heavy team, SS2/SG is already two uses, so you won't have to worry about that.

My Y'shtola does have Medica 2 as well, but I got by without casting an AoE heal, which I honestly think is where the luck comes in to play, like all boss fights. At 50% health, Exdeath favors his single target spells, so P. Cecil will eat most of the damage and the rest of the team will take minimal amounts, but there's no doubt that Exdeath might be a jerk and hit you with a Dispel, or constantly Earth Shaker/Vacuum Wave. Dispel will not remove effects like SS2/SG or Advance, but you will lose Protega and Shellga, and a Shellga should go up ASAP, which is why I have it on P. Cecil for emergency use instead of Y'shtola as she'll need to do a Medica 2 or Curaja instead. On my killing fight, Exdeath did not cast Dispel once. I only S/L'd maybe 3-4 times. -2 medals for damage taken, -1 for turns. Mastered.

Obviously not everyone can use this set up, so ymmv, but I hope this helps.

After a few late game S/Ls I can say if he counter-dispels you in the 2nd half its pretty much game over unless you're about a turn or two from winning. Losing half your mitigation is bad enough, but losing hastaga means he'll probably hit you with 2-4 more attacks before you can get it back up and you'll be fighting a losing healing battle after that. Only thing to do is make sure the 2nd half is as short as possible. Also, 2nd round dispel-alls can go to hell.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Beat Exdeath with Double White Mages and Pecil.

Now on the boss rush and good god. Dragon Pod is the worst. I just want to blow past it with Advantialiate, but that's hard when 3 of the powders can incapacitate Gilgamesh, and they can't be dodged with Retaliate. And I don't have any moves that can kill a crop of dragon flowers in one go.

Got Odin? They're all vulnerable to Death.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    The Counter Dispel does seem to be low percentile at least, but it's still the WORST when it happens. You may as well go ahead and reset the fight unless like you said, you're 1-2 hits away from a win. The luck element involved in these fights is never mentioned and can't be accounted for in any strategy. I know there are still a few people here who despise using the Retaliate meta, but fights like this make it so easy to consider using it for a Master win.

• Options
    Does that mean Lai Strike might be a good move to equip on a samurai?

Unrelated - given the relative scarcity of Rosetta Stones, should I be saving them all for if/when I ever get a BSSB? I got Rinoa's Cardinal during phase 2, and I just got Cecil's uh... sword... this phase. Do I want to invest in one of those now, or should I stockpile for future investment?

• Options
    ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    With Rosetta Stones being awarded in events now, I didn't feel the need to keep saving them and dumped them into Celes's Rune Blade. It's my strongest sword period, the stones make it even stronger.

I figured if I get a SSB/BSSB I'll just put stones there as I get them.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Yeah I've been trying to save my stones for items I know I'll use a lot, and mostly for future pulls. The XP they give just makes me not want to throw them on as purely an augment. My Cardinal + has a total MAG of like 140 because of this.

• Options
    edited December 2015
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Does that mean Lai Strike might be a good move to equip on a samurai?
    Not for the flowers, no. They die in 1-2 skill hits anyway, and the boss quickly revives them. I don't believe the boss has any other actions it takes, so attacking the flowers saves you nothing.

Much better if you can slow/stop/sleep/paralyze them or something instead. Not sure what the chances are of landing any of that, though.

Fleur de Alys on
  • Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Switched RW to tyro's with SSB decked out in V gear for first half of event battles. Can switch back to boon or SG on request. eSvR is the code I believe

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    For the Flower boss, I just put basic Retaliate + Boost on Cloud. I brought the Advance RW, but didn't want to burn a use on the first boss with the other two bosses waiting. Terra with R3 Ruinga was enough to deal with the flowers. You do take 1k per flower attack, but Terra (or a 65 Krile, or an 80 Rinoa) with an FFV weapon should have enough magic to either wipe out the flowers completely, or get them real close to death that any attack from any member should finish them. Then focus fire on the main flower as much as you can before it sows more adds. Even after taking what I thought was surely enough damage to cost me 2 medals, I only lost 1. The other bosses are much easier comparatively.

El Fantastico on

• Options
    Whew. Beat the boss rush and the Antlion. I now have Lenna's MCII.

Thankfully, the difficulty is front-loaded. If you get past Dragon Pod and Atomos, Gilgamesh can make the crystals into a joke. Until yheir health drops, they only use physical attacks, so Draw Fire + Retaliate completely invalidates their attacks. And the retaliates come so fast they didn't get to use their spells.

After Exdeath and Dragon Pod, Antlion was a piece of cake. He also only uses physical moves, so Gilgamesh shone again. Be careful if you use Berserk to get the extra medals, though. Antlion's Berserk script is to use physical attacks on random targets, regardless of Draw Fire.

• Options
    So I've been trying to get Josef's Double Strike RM lately. I am feeling the pain that many of you have already gone through. This is kinda sucky. I've been clearing Elite dungeons because I hadn't done them before. But I'm almost out. I'm on the second to last one. Guess if I don't get it by the time I'm done with the elites I'll just spam run the first dungeon. Or is there a preferred one to run for the RM?

I'm super duper far behind on story and elite dungeons, so it hasn't all been bad. I've been getting stamina shards and orbs from these missions. But once I am out of elite missions it will feel very hollow.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    So I need to actually redeem these things in the special area for missing heroes/memories/l2 memories.

Any specific ones I should keep an eye out for to make sure I get because they're otherwise missable?

• Options
    I think someone said earlier in the thread that just plain ol' "Warrior" is only obtainable through this event and is not otherwise available. Outside of him, I think most other characters are in story missions or rotate with events.

This discussion has been closed.