As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

All I want for Christmas is a shiny new [FFRK] UI update (Live!).

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Just finished Zidane's event, the dungeon update, and the new bonus quest. Back to Orb farming. I think bonus battles are Sunday, when the new banner comes out, so farming all weekend until Monday.

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    I got Irvine's gun. Is he useable? Honestly my blind hatred of 8 has kept me from exploring them despite having the whip for Quistis and now this gun.

• Options
    ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    I ended up going for an 11 pull on Zidane banner 1 and I am catching up after 2/55 on lucky banners! Coral sword, healing rod and gungnir. I now have at least a 4+ non-dagger for all realms save III, V and VIII.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I'm trying to clean up my quest log. So far pretty underwhelmed with the rewards, but I've also been very inefficient about it and not been completing the quest as I've been running the dungeons/crafting the abilities the first time around.

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Gnizmo wrote: »
    I got Irvine's gun. Is he useable? Honestly my blind hatred of 8 has kept me from exploring them despite having the whip for Quistis and now this gun.

He's 5* Support, so he suffices as a decent character to use Full Break with since you have his Relic. If you don't have any other 5* ranged weapons, hold on to the gun for kicks, but otherwise, teach the SB to Irvine then use it for Augment fodder if you just don't need the synergy.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options

He's 5* Support, so he suffices as a decent character to use Full Break with since you have his Relic. If you don't have any other 5* ranged weapons, hold on to the gun for kicks, but otherwise, teach the SB to Irvine then use it for Augment fodder if you just don't need the synergy.

The only thing I would add is to hold the gun for a while. If nothing else, you can have Tyro use it for synergy and retaliate plus taunt in the back row. If you ever find yourself swimming in relics, you can consider using it as an augment.

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    So when you're in a FFVII mission, Cloud gets a bonus to his stats and anyone wielding a Buster Sword gets a bigger bonus to their stats (because items are rarer/harder to acquire than characters, I guess.) Obviously if Cloud is wielding a Buster Sword he gets both bonuses; my question is, if you're in a FFX mission does Cloud get any kind of bonus for wielding that Buster Sword?

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    No. He just gets a bonus for being Cloud.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    Rius wrote: »
    So when you're in a FFVII mission, Cloud gets a bonus to his stats and anyone wielding a Buster Sword gets a bigger bonus to their stats (because items are rarer/harder to acquire than characters, I guess.) Obviously if Cloud is wielding a Buster Sword he gets both bonuses; my question is, if you're in a FFX mission does Cloud get any kind of bonus for wielding that Buster Sword?

Nah, weapon bonuses are separate from character bonuses, though obviously the two can stack. Character bonuses equate to +10 levels, and the equipment bonuses vary. So Cloud doesn't get inherent bonuses for using a Buster Sword, anyone using a Buster Sword in an FFVII dungeon gets the same bonus. The only 'character unique' aspect of any given weapon/armor is if the armor is capable of teaching a Unique Soul Break. Once the character masters the Soul Break, though, there's no extra benefit to using that weapon vs a weapon with better raw stats.

• Options
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    Ardor wrote: »

The only thing I would add is to hold the gun for a while. If nothing else, you can have Tyro use it for synergy and retaliate plus taunt in the back row. If you ever find yourself swimming in relics, you can consider using it as an augment.

it is worth holding onto, Irvine is a 5* support but the utility of the unique SB is very low. having a gun is important for using Irvine but having the SB doesn't make Irvine better. it may be better on sahz or barret than on Irvine himself.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Since I got Barrett's SB gun-arm he's now my go-to 5* support. Kinda disappointing that I got a weapon that nobody else (tyro excepted) can use, but having any 5* support weapon is better than not.

• Options
    Since I got Barrett's SB gun-arm he's now my go-to 5* support. Kinda disappointing that I got a weapon that nobody else (tyro excepted) can use, but having any 5* support weapon is better than not.

His RM 2, which I believe is Reload 2, is also very good.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Pulled on the legendary Mage banner. Ice Staff. I can run mage-meta in any realm now.

• Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    Pulled on the legendary Mage banner. Ice Staff. I can run mage-meta in any realm now.

Yeah I nabbed that one as well, seems like a very solid weapon but how many 5* do you need for Mage Meta? 3? 4?

I can run Terra w/ Enhancer and now a second Mage with Ice Staff, and I have a Gravity rod++ but I'm not sure that's enough really.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular

I should probably pull on that since I only have two whips for 5* mage weapons right?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    edited November 2015
    38thDoe wrote: »

I should probably pull on that since I only have two whips for 5* mage weapons right?

It's up to you. For me personally, I've had terrible luck getting "good" relics, but I've gotten a lot of generic ones. I've personally aimed for a retaliate meta practical approach, which is to look for Gilgamesh and/or Cloud usable weapons in each realm that are 4+ or better. So my best mage weapon is Fujin's Chakram (Rinoa or Hope only due to Throwing weapon) and since I got a IX 5* synergy sword, I'm holding off for something else.

EDIT: Sorry, had to run and grab my daughter and hit submit. I'm finding that having synergy to clear all realms and events easier with retaliate would hopefully allow me to then just save up for the relics I really want in hopes I get them, instead of having to decide all the time with pulling in regards to relics that are great, for characters I really like or because I need some synergy.

Ardor on
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    damn thing refuses to let me pull. i hit the button and it refuses to gooooo and just hangs at now loading forever.

bleh.

edit: only got one 5* in my 11 pull....

but it was vivi's staff brb spiking the footballllllll

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Note on Soulcage, you really have to use Blind, or at least account heavily for his Physical damage. I tried it with just Full Break and Stoneskin II and he crushed me.

• Options
    Ardor wrote: »
    38thDoe wrote: »

It's up to you. For me personally, I've had terrible luck getting "good" relics, but I've gotten a lot of generic ones. I've personally aimed for a retaliate meta practical approach, which is to look for Gilgamesh and/or Cloud usable weapons in each realm that are 4+ or better. So my best mage weapon is Fujin's Chakram (Rinoa or Hope only due to Throwing weapon) and since I got a IX 5* synergy sword, I'm holding off for something else.

EDIT: Sorry, had to run and grab my daughter and hit submit. I'm finding that having synergy to clear all realms and events easier with retaliate would hopefully allow me to then just save up for the relics I really want in hopes I get them, instead of having to decide all the time with pulling in regards to relics that are great, for characters I really like or because I need some synergy.

Good Point. My only non Whip 5* is Steiner's Defender, so I probably should ignore these banners. So far I'm making good progress on clearing elites even with crappy gear so I'm trying to stay positive. I'm more worried about the higher difficulties coming up.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    well my 11 draw got me the Golem Flute so I now have vivi' rod, eiko's flute and Garnet's flute....

so my IX mage team looks pretty good.

• Options
    A steak! wrote: »
    Note on Soulcage, you really have to use Blind, or at least account heavily for his Physical damage. I tried it with just Full Break and Stoneskin II and he crushed me.

yeah, IMO you need:

Blind in some form
    protectga
    shellga
    magic B/BD

and DON'T use fire. at all. ever. even when blinded its an instant interrupt aoe attack.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    I did two 50 pulls on the new banner. First one was a really bad pull... only one 4* and nothing else.

Pulled a second time, thinking I'm a dumbass the whole time... but then got 4 5*s. 2 Defenders, an ice staff, and a healing rod. Hell yeah, I am so set on mage gear now.

• Options
    Finished classic and elite ff 8 and 9, only one non stamina shard dungeon left in 1,2,3. Scared of the 4,12,13 elites.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    BluecyanBluecyan Buzz.. Buzz Buzz? BUZZ! Buzz buzz BuzzRegistered User regular
    Got two 5*s from the "mage" banner. Cat claws and my 2nd kaiser knuckles (XIII). Technically this is better than no 5*s... but still disapointing.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    i kinda wanna pull for the flute for aoe halz, but i think i'm just going to wait until the festival. don't push my luck since i got vivi's staff

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Getting the Golem flute is nice because it's AoE heal plus haste, which is really nice, but at the same time, that means using Eiko. Sure, she's a WHM/SMN, which is very useful, but... it's Eiko. She was annoying in IX. :P

• Options
    ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    Hm..I was planning on pulling but I took a stock of my mage gear. I'm comfortable enough with what I have (Ice Whip/Guard Stick/Thyrus/Healing Rod/Dusk Lance) and various hats, that I'll just wait and bank more for Rifts.

100-pull got me another Wing Sword (II) which I'm super pumped about.

• Options
    So now my 100+ MAG gear gear consists of Full Metal Staff (which is a rod), Ice Staff (which is a staff), and Thyrus (which has more MND than MAG). As long as I keep in mind Rydia can't use Staffs, I should be okay, assuming my healer is okay with using a 4* Staff.

• Options
    ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    Stuff like a Stardust Rod++ hits 112 MAG in realm. So you'll be in good shape.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Got a 2nd blitz sword, a shinra helm, and storm staff in my 11 pull! Yay actual *5 Mage weapon that's not limited on what mages can use it!

• Options
    Reddit is completely shitting on the Soulcage +++ fight. Apparently all of its attacks OHKO your whole party if it goes before you get up double mitigation.

• Options
    And that's new for any fight at difficulty greater than 115, how? Most bosses have the capability to OHKO before any mitigation goes up. But I shouldn't really talk. Soulcage opened up with Mustard Bomb (no damage, sap only) allowing me the time to set up that mitigation.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Eh.. Edea left some room for error in the execution. Some of the +++ fights are horrible bullshit, but some are just fine with decent planning.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Yeah, this one is particularly bad because he either hits your entire team for over half their HP or saps a dude, and he's three times more likely to hit with the AoE. It's why I exhorted the usefulness of blinding, then all you really have to worry about is his Fira, which still hits for 2.5k through resistance gear!

A duck! on
  • Options
    As a new player at 50 mythril, I'm wondering if I should do the newest banner draw. I have two 5* swords, a 4* sword, some 4* daggers and a 4* axe, all plain. I have the Bustier, but for mage weapons I only have a 3* rod and 3* staff. I have a second of whichever one of those is the MAG one, so it can become 4+, but it's tempting to go after some good mage gears.

• Options
    This is basically your best bet to get rods and staves for a while. The FFX banner also has a decent number, but like this one is has some extremely specific equipment (Lulu's doll, Blitzballs).

• Options
    Did the pull, got Coral Sword and Estharian Helmet. 4* were a dagger and Thornlet, and the 3* included a heavy armor, whip and spear, none of which I had any of before, so that's nice.

Went looking for mage weapons and just got more 3* ones, but that helm looks nice? It's got more MAG then MND, but not by much. Statwise helms look like a good compromise between offense and defense?

Having 3* axes and spears seems irrelevant now that I have three 5* swords, but I'm sure there's nuance to using them at some point.

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Postin real late, but my Black Friday pull was.

A Dup Mythgraven Blade, Runic Blade for Celes, Garnet's Staff(STILL DON'T HAVE GARNET!), and a Healing Grimore for Tyro(UGH). So Horrah Celes

Then I mythril pulled from Squall's SSB Banner, since it was actually really good, got nothing.

Then I pulled again, money this time, I don't know why, and got only one 5 star.

Which was Squall's SSB weapon.

So now Squall and Cloud are level 80 SSB bro's Kingdom Hearts evrry day.

• Options
    edited November 2015
    Nice! One day I shall have 80s. One day.

I just unlocked Terra a couple of minutes ago. Turns out her Elite stage is only difficulty 25, and I was able to clear it pretty convincingly. Cloud had 155 attack and I borrowed @Savant's Advance, so Kefka got right smacked.

Welcome to the party, girl. Here's a nice corset for you to wear!

Rius on
This discussion has been closed.