Options

[steam] manual says to cut the third wire, but only if it's not blue!

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Stolls wrote: »
    Wanted to touch on this since it got brought up in the last thread, and I just finished crying over how bad the Bears suck this year. Spoilered for me bitching about Metal Gear Solid in general.
    The problem with Metal Gear Solid, for me, isn't so much the anime silliness as it is the games' inability to maintain tone, compounded by laughably overwrought dialogue that badly needs trimming down. Both are issues that seemed to get progressively worse with every installment, and at some point it just became a bridge too far.

Nobody ever just exists in the Metal Gear universe; they're part of a larger continuity with an insanely tortured backstory tailored towards producing some of the most fucked-up people imaginable. Nobody ever just talks in the Metal Gear universe; they deliver hamfisted monologues that drag on for twenty fucking minutes before basic gameplay tutorials have been covered. Nobody ever just acts in the Metal Gear universe; it's part of a long series of Machiavellian twists that has to strain even further to accommodate all the strange shit that's been piling up over the last two decades. Even the fucking crotch grabbing is an important thing for some asinine reason.

And then a man poops himself. Oh, isn't that funny, like when that guy pooped himself in previous games, and now he's got a backstory and a dad with the same problem in the past and the pooping is because nanomachines and he goes on to marry Meryl and christ almighty just drop the gag it wasn't that funny the first time.

I enjoyed MGS1 in spite of the silliness, though I would argue that Psycho Mantis, the most outlandish character in the game, was still a character; someone with a role to play besides "boss fight" and something approaching an understandable backstory. Since then the rogue's gallery of weirdos has gotten progressively more outlandish and less human, and my interest has waned accordingly. There is simply a point where things get too weird and too wordy, and for me the series crossed that line some time ago. It's the same incline that goes from Spencer Mansion to punching a boulder on an active volcano, and I think it's the inevitable result of nobody ever telling Kojima 'no'.

TL;DR: At this point the series is just not for me, and I don't expect MGSV to change that. I simply don't trust it to explain itself concisely or even to shut the hell up and let me enjoy the game.

As someone who thinks that MGS's universe and story are consistantly full of itself and rolls my eyes every time people gushes over Kojima's alleged storytelling genius, MGS5 is damned fun in spite of itself. It's probably as mechanically sound as the series ever has been, and that's enough to ignore the narrative nonsense (and believe me, it is some nonsense). The overindulgence in cutscenes that the series has become known for are surprisingly restrained this time around, to the point where a lot of diehards think they're too short. No codec scenes to be found, no long expositions on how NUCLEAR WEAPONS ARE BAD OKAY NANOMACHINES LOVE ON THE BATTLEFIELD PATRIOTS LA-LI-LO-ASDLBALD. That suits me fine.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    Sunday Night Football is playing on your local NBC affiliate. This means betting is closed. Best of luck to all the contestants.

Seahawks
    @anoffday 28-7
    @chris: waffle king 21-0
    @Corsini 31-19
    @Ed Gruberman 21-17
    @f3rret 24-21
    @Jazz 24-17
    @tacticalheadache 21-14

Packers
    @Coffey 27-20
    @cooljammer00 47-7
    @Karoz 18-15
    @Pixelated Pixie 17-10
    @shdwcaster 24-17
    @TeeMan 20-15

Lots of late entries and they favoured Green Bay. Let's see what happens.

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• Options
    MaguanoMaguano Registered User regular
    xiears wrote: »
    There must be something in the water, quite a few steam thread babies on the way!!!

i love how all these hopeful romantics think they will get gaming time in during the first month, (aka the worst month of your life ever, no sleep, mass confusion)
    err, i mean, congrats on the baby making.

steam:maguano2
    gamertag:Maguano71
    Switch:SW-8428-8279-1687
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    I kinda panned Skyline's BEDLAM in the old thread, but I've been hunting around their official and Steam forums (that is how much I want to like this game) and I'm happy to see the devs talking to their community about a wide range of issues in the game. They don't appear to be above wholesale changes to game mechanics, but not in a Darkest Dungeon kind of way. If anything, the people who've been able to finish it are pushing for changes just as much as people really struggling in the early-game. I'll give it a couple of weeks to simmer and watch the patches roll in.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Annnnd... That's Hunted: The Demon's Forge beaten.

I don't care what I've read/heard, I thought it was a great game. It had some rough edges, true, but not enough to keep me from enjoying it all along the way. I played solo the whole way through as E'lara, the elf archer, and the AI did a very solid job as the other character... I'd wager better than a human player would have done (for example, I had to revive him a total of twice the entire game). Mechanically it was solid and run-n-gun archery never got old. And I don't know where explosive arrows come from but they are giggletastic.

The story was not original but still interesting and the ending was good. I really enjoyed the way the lore and story were developed through bits and pieces discovered throughout or drawn from the spirits of dead people along the way. It seamlessly set the background and colored in the world bit by bit.

The voice acting throughout was top notch (but hey, Laura Bailey and Lucy Lawless were in the cast so of course).

61 metacritic score, bah. Definitely better than that. I liked it enough I'll file it away in my "replayable" category.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Maguano wrote: »
    There must be something in the water, quite a few steam thread babies on the way!!!

i love how all these hopeful romantics think they will get gaming time in during the first month, (aka the worst month of your life ever, no sleep, mass confusion)
    SLEEP IS FOR THE WEAK
    CAFFEINE IS FOR PARENTS

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    CoffeyCoffey Terre Haute, IndianaRegistered User regular
    Quical wrote: »
    So you're the new kid this year? It was me last year.
    You wait until the fall sale... 8-)

I reckon. I bear that cross.

76561197967491341.png
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    I don't think he understands.

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Annnnd... That's Hunted: The Demon's Forge beaten.

I don't care what I've read/heard, I thought it was a great game. It had some rough edges, true, but not enough to keep me from enjoying it all along the way. I played solo the whole way through as E'lara, the elf archer, and the AI did a very solid job as the other character... I'd wager better than a human player would have done (for example, I had to revive him a total of twice the entire game). Mechanically it was solid and run-n-gun archery never got old. And I don't know where explosive arrows come from but they are giggletastic.

The story was not original but still interesting and the ending was good. I really enjoyed the way the lore and story were developed through bits and pieces discovered throughout or drawn from the spirits of dead people along the way. It seamlessly set the background and colored in the world bit by bit.

The voice acting throughout was top notch (but hey, Laura Bailey and Lucy Lawless were in the cast so of course).

61 metacritic score, bah. Definitely better than that. I liked it enough I'll file it away in my "replayable" category.

Hmm, I should probably play Hunted at some point. The game's always looked fun, but I never got around to just jumping in.

And I want to try the other guy, archery is fun and all, but swinging around a big honking blade is where it's at.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Don't bet against Aaron Rodgers at home, son. Day one stuff!

Edit: Looks like a tie between me & @shdwcaster. We were both off by 3 points of exact score. You can give him the prize, @an_alt as this community have gifted me a few things lately. I don't mind. :)

Coffey on
    76561197967491341.png
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Packers win 27-17 in a tight, well played game. That puts both @Coffey and @shdwcaster within a field goal of calling the score perfectly. Unfortunately, as anyone who has watched Highlander knows, there can be only one.

Geth roll 1d2 for alphabetical order.

Edit: Coffey wins!

alphabetical order:
    1d2 1 [1d2=1]

an_alt on
    Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    That timing. See my edit above your post.

76561197967491341.png
  • Options
    Very classy of you Coffey!

@shdwcaster wins! I'll be in touch for your winnings.

Pony wrote:
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Belated thanks to @Drake for Road Redemption. Haven't had chance to really play it much yet, been a busy weekend, but hoping to give it a spin soon.

• Options
    ReverseCreationsReverseCreations Registered User regular
    TIMEframe finished. The "real" ending, not the "what you get after 10 minutes" ending. Took me 9 playthroughs total.

In a word: beautiful.
    SOMEONE, QUICK SHE'S CLEARING HER BACKLOG AGAIN!

on seperate note. Finding it hard to pick something to play, got through a bit of MGSV, barely touched Mad Max, but kind of burned myself out for a little bit on Open World games. so not sure what I feel like playing on Steam :l

1C54320038BDF735D2D088D168D6275F7F2FBE3C
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    So I booted up Shadowman to play it for the first time in... uhhh... fifteen years? And damn, the sound design and general atmosphere in that game is still incredible. If any of you are looking for a game to play near Halloween and the idea of a voodoo-drenched Zelda clone sounds interesting then I heartily recommend it.

Plus there's an undead Irish snake wearing a top hat!

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    !!!

Thanks @ReverseCreations for Final Fantasy V! Can't wait to play it when it comes out :D
    Just finished Final Fantasy 13-2, so I'm definitely in the mood for some more Final Fantasy on Steam :D

Thanks again! <3

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    DaringDirk wrote: »
    Hey everybody! I'm here, and I'm alive, and a new thread is just the thing to bring me back out of lurksville! New baby is on the way, Mrs. Dirk is 11 weeks into pregnancy! Upcoming Christmas gift to myself will be a Surface Pro 3 (or 4, if that's out), something portable for Steaming! Also, big fat awesomeness callout to @Antoshka, for randomly gifting me Valkyria Chronicles a week ago! Also, exclamation points!
    Okay, I'm all for typical steam shenanigans, but I think it's going a bit too far when you resort to making new people to gift games to

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    ReverseCreationsReverseCreations Registered User regular
    I walk away to finish some laundry off before going to bed and I come back to my PC to see this
    y4p7nejctlly.jpg

What did I ever do, No clue.

Thanks @Antoshka for Undertale, it looks and sounds utterly god damned charming.

1C54320038BDF735D2D088D168D6275F7F2FBE3C
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Killing Floor is seriously good fun, you guys. Almost missed the boat on this one

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    k8scg6b.png

More shenanigans involving @Antoshka and @ReverseCreations I see. Neither of them can be trusted to be let out of my sight for a moment.

Thanks for adding to the Resident Evil collection. Might take me a while to get to this one since I just started on the HD Remaster of the first one last night.

<3<3<3

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Wooo finally got my library sorted. Shifted all the stuff that was sitting in the default "games" thing that I'm finished with into an archive so I can close that and never see them again! Now just the 400 or so in my backlog along with the stuff in currently playing to play through.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular

Nothing against you, because it's certainly a popular yarn, but that's the thing. I read/heard this nonstop before my son was born. Everyone. You're pregnant? Shit, hope you don't like sleep! Hahhaah. Oh man, you sucker!

But it was bullshit.

Babies sleep a lot. Sleep when they do. And every baby is different. Some are up all night. Some sleep all day. Some are in a cycle, if their parents are into that.

I was certainly able to get gaming in with a newborn. They weren't the marathon sessions of my early-twenties, but I did and still do find plenty of time for my hobby.

But it annoys me now to see the same lie told to new parents at every opportunity.

The truth? Your life will change, and it will be awesome.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Figgy wrote: »

Nothing against you, because it's certainly a popular yarn, but that's the thing. I read/heard this nonstop before my son was born. Everyone. You're pregnant? Shit, hope you don't like sleep! Hahhaah. Oh man, you sucker!

But it was bullshit.

Babies sleep a lot. Sleep when they do. And every baby is different. Some are up all night. Some sleep all day. Some are in a cycle, if their parents are into that.

I was certainly able to get gaming in with a newborn. They weren't the marathon sessions of my early-twenties, but I did and still do find plenty of time for my hobby.

But it annoys me now to see the same lie told to new parents at every opportunity.

Nothing against you, but as a father of two children...

Every baby's sleep schedule is different.

My daughter was a pretty good sleeper; my son far less so. Those "yarns" come from parents with a kid that only slept in two hour bursts at the max, leaving them too exhausted to do anything but nap along with them.

Anyway, (pre-emptive) congratulations to all the new SteamParents; may your children sleep well and your backlogs deplete!

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    Figgy wrote: »

But it was bullshit.

Nothing against you, but as a father of two children...

Every baby's sleep schedule is different.

My daughter was a pretty good sleeper; my son far less so. Those "yarns" come from parents with a kid that only slept in two hour bursts at the max, leaving them too exhausted to do anything but nap along with them.

Anyway, (pre-emptive) congratulations to all the new SteamParents; may your children sleep well and your backlogs deplete!

Uh, so you agree with me in that every child is different so telling all new parents to say goodbye to sleep is a lie?

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    You know, I'm at that adult-ass age where starting a family is a thing people are doing. My parents bug me about it, and sometimes I ponder that would possibly be a fulfilling new milestone of my life.

And then I look at the list of bullshit on my Steam list and I think lolno.

(Much love for the kid-having forumers still on that gaming hustle though.)

• Options
    edited September 2015
    And then somewhere around 18 to 22 years later they move out and there's an empty spot in the house and at the dinner table and in your chest. And you wonder if you taught them everything they need to know but then you suddenly remember a thousand things you probably never did teach them. You wonder every morning and night if they're okay and happy and you anxiously and eagerly look forward to when you'll see them again. Then you wonder what the holiday season will be like. And it's just a huge ball of worry and angst like you haven't known since they were newborn.

... and then you take them to dinner on a Sunday and you talk and you see that they're happy and doing well and pursuing their goals and you finally realize: yeah, they'll be okay.

It's been a rough few weeks. Just sayin.

Then you go home and start furiously working on that Steam backlog.

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I'm just going to pretend Pixie's post doesn't exist and bury my head in the sand.

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    "Finished" and uninstalled Cook, Serve, Delicious in that any other achievements that I'm missing will take too long to do so now I need to dig up another time waster from my backlog that I can fire up for five minutes at a time when I can't be bothered to invest more than a half hour into something like XCOM or other games that require a bunch of time investment.

For anyone that likes getting hungry as they play games and gets an odd pleasure out of pounding out correct combinations for different recipes definitely check out Cook, Serve, Delicious the next time it goes on sale.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    And then somewhere around 18 to 22 years later they move out and there's an empty spot in the house and at the dinner table and in your chest. And you wonder if you taught them everything they need to know but then you suddenly remember a thousand things you probably never did teach them. You wonder every morning and night if they're okay and happy and you anxiously and eagerly look forward to when you'll see them again. Then you wonder what the holiday season will be like. And it's just a huge ball of worry and angst like you haven't known since they were newborn.

... and then you take them to dinner on a Sunday and you talk and you see that they're happy and doing well and pursuing their goals and you finally realize: yeah, they'll be okay.

Mine are 5 and 1, stop with this.
    Something is up with the ventilation at work here, my eyes are all irritated and watery.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    edited September 2015

I'd love to recommend a game that captured this feeling for me (a guy who hasn't gone on a date but is interested in at least the idea of having kids) and could also do that for anyone else childless/without kids or just wants an overload of feels. However, I'm afraid that it would spoil too much.

Karoz on
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »

I'd love to recommend a game that captured this feeling for me (a guy who hasn't gone on a date but is interested in at least the idea of having kids) and could also do that for anyone else childless/without kids or just wants an overload of feels. However, I'm afraid that it would spoil too much.

The Walking Dead S1? :P

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Drovek wrote: »

http://store.steampowered.com/app/244710/

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular

http://store.steampowered.com/app/359050/ Moar liek

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Daimar wrote: »
    "Finished" and uninstalled Cook, Serve, Delicious in that any other achievements that I'm missing will take too long to do so now I need to dig up another time waster from my backlog that I can fire up for five minutes at a time when I can't be bothered to invest more than a half hour into something like XCOM or other games that require a bunch of time investment.

For anyone that likes getting hungry as they play games and gets an odd pleasure out of pounding out correct combinations for different recipes definitely check out Cook, Serve, Delicious the next time it goes on sale.

That game was hard enough when I had streamlined my menu to only serve simple things I could make quickly. Then they added the
    you have been robbed, describe the robber to the sketch artist
    mechanic and I had to stop, as I recall they asked you this as customers were still coming in.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular

God damn it, Pixie. I just called my Mom yesterday (her birthday) and now I want to call right now. And I can't. Because I'm at work.

And now I hope that I will have a better relationship with my kids than I do with my parents because I'm not super close with my folks (big dumb family fight rooted in my Mom and wife mutually not being each other's favorite people), and now I'm thinking about how in 13 short years my kids might not be close to me anymore.

I'm feeling emotions over here, and it's all your fault!

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    edited September 2015

Both wrong, but if people are just going to throw out guesses then I'll just spoiler it:
    Edit: That is not to say those aren't good choices just that in both
    the parent or guardian dies which forces the child to find their place in the world. Death is the catalyst for this change but it is also the easy way out of this situation. Shelter 2 faces you with the challenge to keep living after your kids leave by their own choice while you are now stuck with a void in your heart.

Karoz on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    So my research into games that work with the Dualshock 4 is pretty depressing. Only a handful work perfectly with prompts changing. A couple more work but use the Xbox prompts, a minor issue. And the rest require fiddling with external programs which I did not want to do. Suuuuuuuucks.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular

It's funny, but having kids of your own changes you in ways you never would have realized. Ten years ago, I would read/hear/watching something about parenting, kids, growing up, etc. and go "yeah, that was nice." Nowadays the same books, music, movies, etc. are seen through the eyes of a parent, and it's a completely different experience.

For example, I love Star Wars. I watched the first one when I was five (Episode IV of course) and it was the best thing ever. Saturday I was holding my six month old in my lap and had Star Wars on. She would giggle at the laser blasts, Chewbacca, etc., and the experience of sharing it with her, even at the age of 6 months, was far better than any time I had seen it before.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
This discussion has been closed.