As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

No, YOU La Mog! [Magic: the Gathering] Thread to praise Taramoor because

• KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    wotc needs to get their shit together

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Note that by concessions they mean concession

liEt3nH.png
  • E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    Were the bathrooms at a.. pee'mium? ^.^

• SixshotStrikerSixshotStriker Registered User regular
    I could use some advice.

Lately I've been finding myself in a rut. I'm always playing some kind of variant of aggro or ramp in standard at my local FNM and I'm just getting beat*. I'm looking to break away from my usual style so I've been toying around with an Eldrazi ingest deck with a possible mill sub-theme. Any ideas on what cards would be good for this? Benthic Infiltrator is an obvious choice, Ruination Guide also seems a good pick. If I'm going with a mill sub-theme then Sphinx should be a no-brainer. Beyond those, I'm not sure. Any tips would be appreciated.

Also I'm trying to keep this under $40.

*The decks everyone seems to be running are just 4-color-whatever.

Never sub-theme mill. Be full mill or don't even touch it. Sub-theming mill is like saying "and i've put a few cards in my deck that do literally nothing"

liEt3nH.png
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    I could use some advice.

Lately I've been finding myself in a rut. I'm always playing some kind of variant of aggro or ramp in standard at my local FNM and I'm just getting beat*. I'm looking to break away from my usual style so I've been toying around with an Eldrazi ingest deck with a possible mill sub-theme. Any ideas on what cards would be good for this? Benthic Infiltrator is an obvious choice, Ruination Guide also seems a good pick. If I'm going with a mill sub-theme then Sphinx should be a no-brainer. Beyond those, I'm not sure. Any tips would be appreciated.

A suite of white removal would help out with fueling the processors. Silkwrap, Stasis Snare, Quarantine Field, Suspension Field almost all just get better when you process the thing they exiled (unless it's a Deathmist Raptor or Jace or something). Blight Herder and Oblivion Sower are probably your best bet for processing payoff, so Ruination Guide helps there. If you're willing to go into black, Wasteland Strangler and Ulamog's Nullifier are the other best value processors.

KalTorak on
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    No day 2 for me. Did the complete clusterfuck of the event show through in coverage?

No day 2 for me. Did the complete clusterfuck of the event show through in coverage?

no more than any other WOTC stream unfortunately, but people have been spreading horror stories

liEt3nH.png
  • BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    I could use some advice.

Sphinx's Tutelage combined with anything that lets you draw cards. Burn Away exiles a graveyard, Mindscour Dragon mills 4 cards when it deals combat damage

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
    Sigh I only had one bad play-based experience today but the more I think about it, the more upset it makes me. My first loss was to twin. Game 1 I had a great hand for an unknown opponent except whoops t4 twin. Cool fine. I know what to do now. Game 2 gets grindy. Here's where the problem happens. He has a deceiver in play. Draws, reveals that it's splinter twin, sets in on the board on top of his lands, says "twin," I say "ok play it out," he says "oh. NOW I have to think about this,"picks twin up and just attacks with the exarch.

I don't know if that was illegal but it was definitely completely shady and I got flustered and didn't think to call a judge in the moment.

now i know to call a judge for everything. No more clearing up confusion between me and my opponent

• APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    I could use some advice.

A suite of white removal would help out with fueling the processors. Silkwrap, Stasis Snare, Quarantine Field, Suspension Field almost all just get better when you process the thing they exiled (unless it's a Deathmist Raptor or Jace or something). Blight Herder and Oblivion Sower are probably your best bet for processing payoff, so Ruination Guide helps there. If you're willing to go into black, Wasteland Strangler and Ulamog's Nullifier are the other best value processors.

I don't know what Ulamog is at, but if your Blight Herding and Sowering, might as well take Advantage of all that mana

• DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Sigh I only had one bad play-based experience today but the more I think about it, the more upset it makes me. My first loss was to twin. Game 1 I had a great hand for an unknown opponent except whoops t4 twin. Cool fine. I know what to do now. Game 2 gets grindy. Here's where the problem happens. He has a deceiver in play. Draws, reveals that it's splinter twin, sets in on the board on top of his lands, says "twin," I say "ok play it out," he says "oh. NOW I have to think about this,"picks twin up and just attacks with the exarch.

I don't know if that was illegal but it was definitely completely shady and I got flustered and didn't think to call a judge in the moment.

now i know to call a judge for everything. No more clearing up confusion between me and my opponent

did he actually tap for mana like he was casting it, or did he just put it on the table

if its the latter then i don't think he technically did anything wrong, just revealed information to you (that he had it)

which afaik one can do, I just think those people look like jackasses 90% of the time

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular

did he actually tap for mana like he was casting it, or did he just put it on the table

if its the latter then i don't think he technically did anything wrong besides reveal information to you (that he had it)

which afaik one can do, I just think those people look like jackasses 90% of the time

Yeah if he just revealed it to you I don't think he did anything illegal. I think the best course of action is to respond with something less committal as a response. "Are you casting it?" maybe. Or just "OK?".

Quire.jpg
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Or just say "Resolves."

• SixshotStrikerSixshotStriker Registered User regular
    Good suggestions all around. I'll continue brewing and let you know how it turns out.

craig wescoe is 11-2 at the gp with g/w hatebears

craig wescoe is my hero

http://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/gpkob15/top-8-decklists-2015-11-22

kobe top 8 includes b/w warriors and g/u ramp, along with only one abzan list

liEt3nH.png
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Wow, Kiora makes an appearance

BDM just said "pick your poison" in reference to someone playing against infect and randy buehler didn't even acknowledge it because randy buehler is the worst

• WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    I have completely turned around on Randy buehler, he is the worst

finals of gp pittsburgh is affinity vs. jeskai(???) twin

• The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    Jeskai.... Twin....??

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
    this dude's affinity deck is all foils

respect

Adding white to u/r twin for more removal doesn't really seem super weird to me

liEt3nH.png
    if removal is what you want, grixis is just better though

jeskai has historically been the weakest twin variant

TIMES CHANGE

liEt3nH.png
    what amuses me is that once again a bunch of pros were whinging about how broken amulet bloom is and once again it is nowhere to be found in top 8

you know what did make top 8 though?

motherfucking scapeshift

• facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    I googled "Edge Champion" to read about the card and got a bunch of results about former, beloved WWE wrestler Edge.

... Etched. Okay.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
    wow, jeskai twin won it

Kilroy wrote: »
    wow, jeskai twin won it

NOW WHO'S BETTER THAN GRIXIS HUH

i don't know why i'm acting like this is some sort of longstanding feud between us

i'm just putting on a work

a shoot

kayfabe money in the bank ddt

liEt3nH.png
    what amuses me is that once again a bunch of pros were whinging about how broken amulet bloom is and once again it is nowhere to be found in top 8

Can't even make the argument that nobody is playing it this time, There were 17 day 2.

Quire.jpg
    I saw a lot of bloom there. They just Lost a lot. The way broken decks always do

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    TIMES CHANGE

yes, people used to play u/r, now they play grixis

problem decks can still lose

amulet bloom has not put up enough results to conclusively call it a problem deck

liEt3nH.png
    edited November 2015
    PiptheFair wrote: »

problem decks can still lose

Problem decks have to actually be a problem though.

Amulet is not breaking the format nor is its turn 2 or 3 kill even as consistent as infects or Storm.

So if the deck isn't "to good" and doesn't break the "No consistent kills before turn 4" rule then what reason is there to ban it?

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
    I think the deck is fine, just arguing with the logic that a broken deck will always top8

sometimes when you look for excuses to argue, people will think you believe the thing you are arguing

liEt3nH.png
This discussion has been closed.