Options

[Transformers: Devastation] - Til All Are One! Out now!

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    It got no marketing worth a damn. Marketing is 99% of a games sales. Did you know Rocksteady spent almost as much to market gta5 than it cost them to make it?

In todays market, if you do not advertise, the game vanishes into the ether. All of these problems you are bringing up are also in games that got a lot more sales than this one. You are pointing fingers at the wrong reasons.

Basically, you think that because it didn't sell well, you can point to the problems and say "this is why" and then you can point to the sales and say "This is why my opinion is right".

The only little problem with that theory is that the market doesn't really work that way. You've got yourself a correlation rather than a causation. We'd like it to, we think it probably should, but it doesn't. The price being too high and the complete lack of marketing for it doomed this game out the door. It was a deliberate choice on Activisions part to relegate this to a niche title. They likely think they got enough from the high entry cost from the transforming loving kiddies. Cos there's no way in HELL this game cost them that much to make. They overcharged so that even with low sales they'd still get enough money.
    Such a waste of a good developer to treat them like that. But that's Activision. They were never trying to make an AAA out of this.

Also people don't get the combat so the majority opinion thinks its got shitty combat too. Which is asinine. That, at least, is something I and others who care can do something about, by continuously showing off just how good it really is.

Also this game has very good encounter design. There are a lotof different boss fights with unique abilities, and they throw things like the top down segments and the turret sections at you with regularity, as well as chase seuqnces and races that use the transforming abilities well. The game actually has a little too many of these segments for me, and I would actually like it if "repetitive" was a complaint that was actually true. As it is I think the major stages have too much variation, since I kind of don't like turret sequences and stuff that is different from regular gameplay. So I don't agree with your claim of repetition at all. You are clearly just folding every single battle into the same big box and standing in front of the box saying "look, lots of fighting". In the process, you are ignoring every detail. The encounters progress naturally as you get better at fighting enemies, and the fights are all different combinations of enemies, in different situations, in different environments, each of which changes what you have to do. There's a lot of use of environment changing effects and the transformation abilities too, as well as a few platforming segments and environmental obstacles. The race sequences are pretty clever since if you are good enough, you can actually lock down and destroy your enemy right at the start.

You think that's repetitive? Guess what? That's every action game ever made. I could probably break down any popular action game that way. That's how this genre works, and the problem isn't that only the regular action game players bought it. The problem is that most of the regular action game players didn't buy it. I came out of nowhere, the point of its entire existence, of the genres entire existence, the combat, was misunderstood, and most people who stayed away because of the price then stayed away because of the inaccurate prevailing opinion that there's nothing worthwhile in the combat.

This is my take on buying this game:
    Anyone wondering who normally only plays a game through once should keep this game on their wish list and buy it whenever it drops to the price that they would normally buy a combat focused game for that kind of playthrough. It's unapologetically a platinum games game, which means story is a side concern. It's got a very good story for a platinum games budget title, but not compared to a regular transformer game.

If you are the kind of person willing to play through multiple difficulties, I'd probably still suggest waiting for a sale, but not as steep a drop would be required since it has a lot of content and the difficulties make a huge difference. The kind of person who is willing to play through multiple difficulties isn't going to really care about the story since they skip it on all subsequent replays.

If you really like good combat systems and you typically get more than your moneys worth out of them, ie you like to try and push yourself not just to get high ranks but to self improve, buy it now. It's worth the money. Saurian Dash has played this game for over 140 hours and he's still finding new and fantastic things you can do in this game. It has got serious depth. If that is the kind of thing that keeps you going, this game will completely outstrip the cost.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Oh and here's my take on that restrictions video I posted from Saur before. Challenge 04, Prime difficulty, D rank weapons only, no techs, SS rank, No Damage, Within time limit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-nfhXIVHWI&feature=youtu.be

Mine isn't as technically fancy and is more or less just blowing them all to hell rather than holding back and being stylish but there's a few things in there of note.

After a reversal uppercut you can jump after them to continue comboing or grab them, transforming from dino to robot mid air to continue comboing (I've also done this to robot grab), the second round where they all decided they weren't going to get hit by any of my shit (that's Prime for you!), and the guy in the first round who gets hit by shrapnel.

Something to note I learnt attempting this. You can cancel uppercuts recovery with a tap of aim. Doing this can let you use it to uppercut two different people, or even a whole group, pretty quickly. It's also useful if your first misses. Grimlock in dino form can uppercut cancel then uppercut again to knock them even higher with the tip of his tail, which could be useful for some combos for setups and the like.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Picked this up during the Winter Sale and I'll be honest, this is blatantly a budget title that Activision charged far too much for. The game feels like it was pulled right out of the Playstation era of level design, with modern textures and Platinum combat design. The different nods to the original Transformers cartoon are neat, sure, but it's a relatively primitive game overall.

Glad I got it on sale, because I would've been pretty annoyed paying full price for this. Combat is great, but everything else feels enormously clunky and/or antiquated to me. Honestly, I keep comparing it to the PS2 Transformers game (which came out way back in 2004) and I feel Devastation keeps coming up short for everything except combat. Yeah, I get that the G1 stuff was hokey, but dang, that doesn't mean filling up a game with the same horrible choppiness of writing is a good thing. And the story feels like an actual episode of the show, except sliced to bits and stretched out across several hours of random fights; the result is a reeeeaallly thin story, even for Transformers.

Don't at all regret buying it, I just don't get why Transformers games keep getting stuck with design so old it feels carved out of stone. I totally understand why this didn't get much notice, because this is just not for people who aren't okay with one aspect of the gameplay getting 90% of the design effort and don't have a problem with repeating game areas in lieu of there being a lot more game available. Definitely something that should've released at the $20-$30 range, not a silly $50.

Nothing about the game design is particularly primitive, or even very different from Platinum's bigger budget games.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Yep This is a very good just budget conscious version of Platinums usual fare, with all the depth that implies.

It was just priced too high.

I actually think its pretty amusing that the deepest combat system they've ever made was a G1 transformers game published by Activision of all places, but that's life for you I guess.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    This game was easily worth the money for me, no question.

I'm not into it as much as Morninglord is at this point but I was there day 1 and every moment of playing was a joy. So much so I ran through the challenge mode and multiple difficulties of the story with different characters,

The combat was engaging and allowed for unlimited creativity. The original voice actors was such a great touch I was more than happy to pay full price to encourage those kinds of decisions.

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    It's a shame that this game got so overlooked do to its price. The combat is difficult, but not unfair, and very rewarding when you pull it off, and the nostalgia factor is more spot on than any other game I've ever played. I just vaguely remembered loving Transformers as a kid (was pretty little, and Beast Wars ended up being my real jam growing up), but playing this game brought back so many memories, and is just a joy to play and rediscover things that I forgot I onced loved.

Makes me sad that the TNMT game they are working on isn't based on the 90's cartoon though. Like, really really sad. That cartoon was my lifeblood for many years growing up.

chuck steak on
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Having Grimlock's original VA makes this game so good. So good.

Dino Dodge!

The shit talk when he is fighting Starscream is so beautiful it brings a tear to my eye.

Because I am laughing so hard.

Also the fact that the levels have character specific voice overs and differences. This might not be like the other transformers games, which I've never played, but this is definitely a Platinum game, and it is showered with love for the series. There is character specific stuff everywhere. And its all great.

The only weakness of this game is the lack of variety in the levels and the badly implemented weapon UI (seriously, you have to sell weapons one at a time, what were they even thinking), but even that comes with a caveat: the city level is actually fully interconnected, with secret pathways, and the game picks the shortest path through it. You can also pick a different path to the objective in several levels. It's one of the freest maps they've ever created: normally everything is 100% linear and you can never go anywhere other than forwards. Not so here.
    You can spend time running around the entire city for secrets, including secret battles and G1 related lore. It's chocked full of them, as well as secret fights that pop up and special challenges.

You also get utterly fantastic artwork as a reward for many collectibles. I normally don't give a shit about artwork but this artwork is amazing.

There's even a model viewer that lets you press the button to hear them fucking SPEAK. I think it might be based on the speaking toys. It also plays their theme tune in the background!

The love for this show is real here. A shallow cashin it aint.

Shallow cashin games don't get original voice cast back and then actually use them everywhere even for things that aren't even necessary and most people will never see.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Also the soundtrack, which you already mentioned. But it deserves to be mentioned again. THIS SOUNDTRACK

is uh.... it's good.

• Options
    My personal favorites include Megatrons final theme and Shockwaves theme. The theme from when you're trying to escape the Proudstar near the end definitely is one of my favorites. But I love the one they made just for when you fight other autobots in the challenge mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blG5kFTw-1A

It totally caught me off guard to. I was like "Wait...I've never heard this bef...oh my god!"

• Options
    edited December 2015
    Yeah, I agree, that's amazing. Can't believe they made a theme just for that. I also like how difficult Prime is. He would wipe me out on Prime whenever he appeared so many times.
    What I really like about all these themes is the variety in them. There's enough for all kinds of preferences.

But yes the guitar in shockwaves theme is so good. It actually only starts in his second phase.

These bosses have musical variations just like revengeance, where the lyrics would start at certain points or after certain times. In this game its kick ass guitar riffs or something else equally epic.

Absolutely everything about the first menasor fight cemented this game as fucking amazing and especially the fucking ending of that scene my god.
    "I...did not see that coming."

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Also whenever I beat Prime in the autobot challenge as Grimlock I always hear Grimlock's voice in my head cheerfully saying "Sorry Boss!"

It's not a line he has, and I've never heard him say either word, I can just totally imagine him saying it.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Yeah, I agree, that's amazing. Can't believe they made a theme just for that. I also like how difficult Prime is. He would wipe me out on Prime whenever he appeared so many times.
    What I really like about all these themes is the variety in them. There's enough for all kinds of preferences.

But yes the guitar in shockwaves theme is so good. It actually only starts in his second phase.

These bosses have musical variations just like revengeance, where the lyrics would start at certain points or after certain times. In this game its kick ass guitar riffs or something else equally epic.

Absolutely everything about the first menasor fight cemented this game as fucking amazing and especially the fucking ending of that scene my god.
    "I...did not see that coming."

That's what I love about it, and that fight in general is when he's all "We WILL control the Plasma Energy!" and the guitar starts and throws out all of those reflectors.

The change in the Insecticon theme when the others show up is also really nice.

And yeah, I'm glad they gave Bumblebee some really great lines. One of my favorites is actually when you switch him to his Goldfire skin and he says "They call me, Goldfire! ......... ridiculous, I know."

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    i buy platinum game for one reason

the mem-

no wait, the fightan

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Much as I like be the game, I know it's not triple-A, but I don't think it's fair to call it budget, either.

You occasionally hear people talk about how there used to be this middle tier that you don't see any more. I think that's where this fits, but without the price model in the modern marketplace, they just erred higher.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    I'd say its a bite sized Platinum game. All the P* fighting mechanics you love. But with just a smaller campaign, but plenty of challenge rooms and difficulty. It feels like you're playing a 3 part episode of the G1 Transformer series.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Kinda, yeah, but with an arguably greater sense of continuity (the movie references) and the addition of newer elements from over the last few decades. Maybe a little less cheesiness.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    AGDQ is under way and it looks like Transformers: Devastation is up next.

Thought I'd throw it up here for interested parties. I'm very curious as to what tricks they've found.

edit:

Apparently the runner will be doing it one handed...

Grove on
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Jesus the last chapter of this game is a card-carrying member of the Not Fucking Around gang.

Also the Absolutely Fucking Bonkers club.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    yeppers

im a little disappointed the last fight is a forced prime vs megatron, cos i only ever play grimlock

i had to fight megatron with a level 50 something prime with c rank weapons on the highest difficulty

i mean i did it

but yeah

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Let's be fair, part of the reason it didn't sell well is because the majority of the modern gaming audience wasn't around when the 80s show was popular. There's really no logical reason this should exist.

I mean, I'm glad it exists and all, but this is pure fanservice for a relatively small blob of fans. Activision probably put exactly as much resources as they should into this.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    One handed playthrough is up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woeymJHyFmw

• Options
    GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    Dunno what it is about this game but whenver I play it my eyes hurt and I get a headache.
    Can only play it for a few minutes at a time. Which sucks cause I love running around as Sideswipe,

• Options
    edited February 2016
    Well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mE8BRxMe_Xc

that was satisfying
    I hate them both so much. So much. It's personal. I have grudges.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mE8BRxMe_Xc

that was satisfying
    I hate them both so much. So much. It's personal. I have grudges.

I love watching your videos... knowing that when I get this game I won't even begin to be able to do what I see you do. But it is awesome getting to watch someone else do it.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    Morninglord's keeping the game alive!

• Options
    It isn't just me. A lot of people in the action game community are still plugging away at this game. From the description of that video.
    If you wanna know how I was able to stay in dino mode without transforming back to robot, check out D3taylz Gaming's discovery of Just Frame special attacks:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2H0_PgDSLI
    There were a few instances where Focus was extended while I was attacking the enemy, refer to Saur's excellent discovery of Focus Extension:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC8R80KuvWY

Based on having done this, and I'm not entirely sure about this, but I think if you do the just frame special attack correctly, your attacks are less likely to be parried, and I think it extends to other attacks input at the same timing. I was doing the uppercuts and gunshots with the same timing and in the whole video I only get parried a couple of times, when the enemy is near death.
    On Prime, these chuckle fucks parry you almost every hit: there is simply no way I got that lucky, it is statistically impossible. Especially given previous attempts had me doing basically what I was doing here, I just kept choking near the end and getting hit. It seems consistent.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Morninglord: so, you can modify if you stay in robot form or dino/car form after doing vehicle attacks
    Morninglord: you tap or hold the button
    Morninglord: grimlocks is reversed
    Morninglord: normally you hold to stay in car form
    Morninglord: grilock stays to transform back to whatever form he was in previously, so if you hold in dino form, he stays in dino form
    Morninglord: some of his attacks automatically stay in the same form, those ones holding will swap modes
    Morninglord: tell people in the transformers thread this for me
    Morninglord: they'd probably want to know

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
  • Options
    I really need to reinstall this. Loved it a year ago, but it's been too long since I've rolled out.

• Options
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Picked this up on PSN as the free game and it is amazing. I am shocked at how much of a love letter to the kids who grew up with this it is. Going to go through the videos and posts and really dig into the combat mechanics so I can earn the platinum trophy. Should be a fun 25 hours or so.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    furlion wrote: »
    Picked this up on PSN as the free game and it is amazing. I am shocked at how much of a love letter to the kids who grew up with this it is. Going to go through the videos and posts and really dig into the combat mechanics so I can earn the platinum trophy. Should be a fun 25 hours or so.

Yeah it's a great game. I keep meaning to come back to it and finish off the achievements.

• Options
    Finally playing Transformers: Devastation. Is there much of a compelling reason to fart around synthesizing weapons and such, beyond equipping the obviously awesome weapons you get? Because I'm not really a min-maxer and I get the feeling a better use of the time would be to continue punching Decepti-creeps in the face.

• Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Finally playing Transformers: Devastation. Is there much of a compelling reason to fart around synthesizing weapons and such, beyond equipping the obviously awesome weapons you get? Because I'm not really a min-maxer and I get the feeling a better use of the time would be to continue punching Decepti-creeps in the face.

Nah, if you're not a min/maxer just play the game and enjoy it.

I do recommend trying out the challenge mode. You will get some extra weapons/items but there are some fun fights and sequences in that mode. Especially where the game will have you fight 3 fights of 2 v 1, the challenge mode will be 6v1.

Hope you enjoy it!

• Options
    Grove wrote: »

I do recommend trying out the challenge mode. You will get some extra weapons/items but there are some fun fights and sequences in that mode. Especially where the game will have you fight 3 fights of 2 v 1, the challenge mode will be 6v1.

Hope you enjoy it!

Cool, thanks!

I really am enjoying it, for the most part. I was like eight when the original show came on so this thing is like a nuclear nostalgia bomb for me. Love the look, love the combat, love the variety of Deceptions they managed to get in there.

I will say I'm getting sick of the environments. I think I'm 2/3rds of the way through (just finished the Blitzwing fight) and like 80 percent of the game so far is in the same damn city, where every block looks exactly the same. I'm just thankful the map makes it easy to find your next objective, and I guess if Platinum had to cut the budget somewhere, that was probably the best place for it.

• Options
    Grove wrote: »

Hope you enjoy it!

Cool, thanks!

I really am enjoying it, for the most part. I was like eight when the original show came on so this thing is like a nuclear nostalgia bomb for me. Love the look, love the combat, love the variety of Deceptions they managed to get in there.

I will say I'm getting sick of the environments. I think I'm 2/3rds of the way through (just finished the Blitzwing fight) and like 80 percent of the game so far is in the same damn city, where every block looks exactly the same. I'm just thankful the map makes it easy to find your next objective, and I guess if Platinum had to cut the budget somewhere, that was probably the best place for it.

Yeah, you can definitely tell where and why they cut corners but having the original Voice Cast present more than makes up for it.

I obviously loved the game and wish there had been a sequel/decepticons spin off. Or even just playable decepticons even if it was only in challenge mode. Still, I'm thankful for what we got. I really should reinstall soon...

• Options
    Frankly it's bananapants we got an 80s Transformers game on consoles at all. And that it's mostly really good.

• Options
    Frankly it's bananapants we got an 80s Transformers game on consoles at all. And that it's mostly really good.

Have you had any favorite moments yet or is there a particular autobot you prefer to play as? I went wheeljack my first time through but ended up loving sideswipe.

• Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    I need them to give me a game where I can play as the Decepticons for a game so I can play as my boy Soundwave.

SOUNDWAVE SUPERIOR! CONSTRUCTICONS INFERIOR!