As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Super Mario Maker] Create your own Mario levels and share them with everyone!

• FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    So in case anyone hasn't seen this level floating around yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sxY8pELhqM

It took the creator five hours to make it, and then another nine hours just to beat it so he could upload it.

Looks like time well spent so that everyone that even looks at it will just swipe past.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
    Xavier1216Super Namicchi
  • Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Some people do not make levels to be played by the random level selection of 100MM. They make them for those who are interested to grab the code and go at it.

There are people who would like to play this kind of level. I kind of actually would like to give it a shot. As long as its not crazy like that AND with a hard time limit I think I could do it eventually.

Billmaanglazedkoala
  • glazedkoalaglazedkoala Registered User regular
    Figgy wrote: »
    Looks like time well spent so that everyone that even looks at it will just swipe past.

Watching him make this was actually a lot of fun. People looking for a challenge like this will find it through the ID. It's nice that the 100 Mario Challenge let's people skip levels so that things like this don't ruin your run though

Ethan Benanav
    www.superhappyfunblock.com
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Neat trick you can do with P-switches and piranha plants...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glDvW9fVmrU&feature=youtu.be

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    Nitsua
  • TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    I finished a level I'm quite proud of! It's called "Mario's no good, very bad day."

66BC-0000-0067-C482

The idea was basically to create an epic boss battle, which is generally hard to do as players can just RUN PAST bowser. I've prevented that from happening.

Anyway, good luck and let me know what you think (here or on the level itself)!

@glazedkoala I think it's an interesting way to force a boss battle, but I eventually lost interest and kept trying to skip passed the boss which I eventually did. I waited for the boss to be close enough and anticipate when the bob-ombs would be shot out, so I could bounce off of them at a higher height which was enough to propel me upwards and beat the level without beating the boss. I think the problem here is the playing field is too small. It's really easy to get trapped on the left side or by tons of spam which even the helmet can't protect against in some situations it seems. Also, far too often i was accidentally hitting the blocks (like the mushroom block) or hitting both of the lower blocks and then canceling out the two extra helmets by having them kill each other.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
    glazedkoala
    Kai_San wrote: »
    Some people do not make levels to be played by the random level selection of 100MM. They make them for those who are interested to grab the code and go at it.

There are people who would like to play this kind of level. I kind of actually would like to give it a shot. As long as its not crazy like that AND with a hard time limit I think I could do it eventually.

It is pretty cool to watch someone beat it, let alone create something and test it enough for it to be beaten, but my issue is, without going to the editor or seeing it done once, would anyone be able to figure out what you're supposed to do and eventually beat it? I feel like not.

MiserableMirthTDawgDirk2112
  • MiserableMirthMiserableMirth Registered User regular
    I've seen multiple levels try to force boss battles, but it never seems to work out well. Unless Nintendo releases more tools for that, I don't bother with boss fights.

TDawg
  • gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    Yoshi can also eat bones thrown by dry bones and spits them back out in a set of 3 projectiles, just like with fire.

It's awesome.

I wanted to use that but Fire is more reliable

If he eats a bowser flame you get one huge ass fireball

That's what the level I posted earlier is based on

Dragon Fire - EDAA-0000-005A-3400

• pirateluigipirateluigi Arr, it be me. Registered User regular
    I've seen multiple levels try to force boss battles, but it never seems to work out well. Unless Nintendo releases more tools for that, I don't bother with boss fights.

The only ones that always seem to work are the ones that put Bowser or Jr in a clown car and make the clown car itself required to get out of the room.

http://www.danreviewstheworld.com
    Nintendo Network ID - PirateLuigi 3DS: 3136-6586-7691
    G&T Grass Type Pokemon Gym Leader, In-Game Name: Dan
    MiserableMirth
  • TDawgTDawg Registered User regular

Watching him make this was actually a lot of fun. People looking for a challenge like this will find it through the ID. It's nice that the 100 Mario Challenge let's people skip levels so that things like this don't ruin your run though

The question is just how many lives you lose on it before you realize you aren't going to beat it any time soon. Hopefully not many, but in an Expert level 100 Mario Challenge, every life can be precious.

Seriously, every time I see Bowser Jr. I just run past him, and I have never encountered a situation where I can't do so. We need some sort of gate system.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games

The only ones that always seem to work are the ones that put Bowser or Jr in a clown car and make the clown car itself required to get out of the room.

Donut blocks are pretty much the best way to make some kind of blockage you need to finish a boss to pass.

Like, 4 D blocks over a P switch that you need to hit to get past a wall of bricks. It takes WAY too long to fall through 4 Donut blocks that the boss would easilly bring you down before you could hit it.

MiserableMirth
    TDawg wrote: »

The question is just how many lives you lose on it before you realize you aren't going to beat it any time soon. Hopefully not many, but in an Expert level 100 Mario Challenge, every life can be precious.

Seriously, every time I see Bowser Jr. I just run past him, and I have never encountered a situation where I can't do so. We need some sort of gate system.

In one of Wyvern's Chain Chomp levels, there was an interesting way to make a "boss battle" that you can't skip by having a conveyor system take up an enemy until it gets to the right spot to kill the "boss". It's an endurance round, so you have to try and stay alive until that happens. I think the area was too cramped (which a lot of "forced" boss battles seem to be), but an interesting idea nonetheless.

edited September 2015

Donut blocks are pretty much the best way to make some kind of blockage you need to finish a boss to pass.

Like, 4 D blocks over a P switch that you need to hit to get past a wall of bricks. It takes WAY too long to fall through 4 Donut blocks that the boss would easilly bring you down before you could hit it.

I feel like you could still push through this with one or two invincibility periods, but I guess I don't know.

And if you're not giving the player super/fire/leaf/feather before forcing the boss fight, then you're kind of being cruel, I think. Or at least giving the upgrades within a reasonable time frame before the fight.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Hey I made something with an optional boss room:

Bowser Jr.'s Hidden Treasure (2336-0000-005A-8E7E)

• FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular

It looks him 9 hours to beat it once and he was the one who designed it. I don't think anyone else is going to bother.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
    Dirk2112

I feel like you could still push through this with one or two invincibility periods, but I guess I don't know.

And if you're not giving the player super/fire/leaf/feather before forcing the boss fight, then you're kind of being cruel, I think. Or at least giving the upgrades within a reasonable time frame before the fight.

It seems to be like one second per D block. Max invincibility would be two times unless there is a mushroom in there and you can time it to hit you just as you go small or close enough you can get it and get back before the first D block respawns.

I mean it is definately possible, the number of D blocks can be tested.

• Dirk2112Dirk2112 Registered User regular
    I received an update to the game. It's now version 1.10. I see no difference.

I suppose we should retest our uploaded levels if we used any exploits.

NNID = Zepp914

It looks him 9 hours to beat it once and he was the one who designed it. I don't think anyone else is going to bother.

Some people will try it and eventually beat it. They are just a different type of person than most of us.

• Dirk2112Dirk2112 Registered User regular

Some people just want to ice skate uphill.

NNID = Zepp914

It seems to be like one second per D block. Max invincibility would be two times unless there is a mushroom in there and you can time it to hit you just as you go small or close enough you can get it and get back before the first D block respawns.

I mean it is definately possible, the number of D blocks can be tested.

The other thing I'm thinking is, you're probably forcing them to do this with a wall followed by a "slot" full of donut blocks and a P at the bottom. If there's no wall, they can walk right up to the P and do a short hop to skip most of the donuts. But if there is a wall, that blocks the boss from some of the damaging things they can do after you get down a few.

I picture it as more of a square arena with a 1 space wide downward slot full of donuts and a P at the bottom. Then, a brick wall in the back of the arena.

The damaging aspect is an issue, but then maybe put said pit up higher but blocked off in the arena. Somewhere that boss projectiles can still hit you.

pirateluigi
    Someone check the invincibility glitch that let you use a door while blinking to become unkillable.

• Tim is on the InternetTim is on the Internet On the Internet Edmonton, ABRegistered User regular
    Someone check the invincibility glitch that let you use a door while blinking to become unkillable.

I haven't checked myself, but word on the street is that this was fixed.

Discord: TimIsOnTheInternet#0056
    Steam: TimIsOnSteam
    Battle.net: TimIsOnBnet#1745
    Switch: SW-7012-4788-7410
    PSN: TimIsOnTheNet
    edited September 2015

It wasn't fixed, people have tested it: https://www.reddit.com/r/MarioMaker/comments/3m54p8/update_110/

UncleSporky on
  • Tim is on the InternetTim is on the Internet On the Internet Edmonton, ABRegistered User regular

It wasn't fixed, people have tested it: https://www.reddit.com/r/MarioMaker/comments/3m54p8/update_110/

The street is terrible and I need to stop listening to it.

• Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Problem with the glitch is fixing it would leave a load of levels that you could never compete, not that they are right now to most. I'm guessing they probably can't identify them.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Problem with the glitch is fixing it would leave a load of levels that you could never compete, not that they are right now to most. I'm guessing they probably can't identify them.

I think that's just a risk they have to take. It'll sort itself out eventually when the level falls off the map because nobody can complete it. I doubt that discovery of the glitch led to an influx of more than a few hundred levels taking advantage of it, out of over a million.

Honestly, any patch to any minor game mechanic could make any level impossible. Someone in the thread I linked said that they thought enemies come out of pipes sooner than before. Whether it's true or not, I bet there are plenty of automatic levels that rely on the precise timing of the rate that happened when the level was created. Automatics are notoriously full of deadly stuff all over the screen, I wouldn't be surprised if some broke after a change like that.

Someone else said they had identified another glitch that was fixed:
    I found something!
    They fixed a bug in the way spike tops behave. Before the patch, if you created a semi-solid platform or mushroom platform, put a spike top on it, and then made a copy of the platform one block higher than the original, the spike top would walk off the edge of the platform.
    This doesn't work anymore; the spike top just walks back and forth like it should.

It's possible that any number of levels might've relied on that behavior as well.

• Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
    That's strange, I read multiple reports that it wasn't fixed. I'll have to try it out myself sometime.

You'd think Nintendo would put some effort into creating real patch notes by now

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    That article is suspect without ANY source or visual proof. Just like how a bunch of comments on reddit of "I tried it still works" are.

Until someone here actually goes and tried it, I don't feel convinced either way.

edited September 2015
    Oh, you know what Nintendo could've done? They could make old levels run on the pre-patch behavior! "If level uploaded before X date and time, use this function, else use this updated function."

That would cause the conflicting info. Some people are playing levels that were already made to use the glitch, and some are going into the editor and trying it right now.

UncleSporky on
    Oh, you know what Nintendo could've done? They could make old levels run on the pre-patch behavior! "If level uploaded before X date and time, use this function, else use this updated function."

That would cause the conflicting info. Some people are playing levels that were already made to use the glitch, and some are going into the editor and trying it right now.

It would be a fairly elegant solution to levels that required that glitch now being unbeatable. I now hope that's how they did it.

OneAngryPossum
    Speaking of levels, here's a new one! Summer & Winter AFC1-0000-0069-AC39

• WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    TelMarine wrote: »
    TDawg wrote: »

In one of Wyvern's Chain Chomp levels, there was an interesting way to make a "boss battle" that you can't skip by having a conveyor system take up an enemy until it gets to the right spot to kill the "boss". It's an endurance round, so you have to try and stay alive until that happens. I think the area was too cramped (which a lot of "forced" boss battles seem to be), but an interesting idea nonetheless.
    Yeah, timed boss arenas is a concept that I've devoted some research into.

Chain Chomp Factory Heart has the one TelMarine is talking about. My first stage I ever uploaded, Shell Chase in Piranha Cavern, ends in a rudimentary arena: you follow a shell into the arena and it bounces back and forth destroying blocks until it clears a route under a wall to escape through. I say rudimentary because the shell is actually in play and can hit you (by design in that case, but not generally appropriate in others). Ludicrous Speed shows a way to do a MOVING arena: forward and backward movement is blocked by impossibly tall cannons, carried by enemies (or a conveyor belt) beneath a semisolid platform. You're trapped between them until the front wall is carried off a cliff and drops away. Caveat: no solid blocks within the area you move through, or it'll block the cannons (solid blocks on tracks are okay, if you desperately need solid vertical walls/crusher traps).

The ideal mechanism would probably combine elements from all of them:

A cannon shoots a spiny shell somewhere out of play (above the ceiling or below the floor). It bounces back and forth, destroying blocks. Eventually it clears a path to bounce or fall to the next level, where there are MORE blocks to slow it down. Finally, it destroys a block holding up a cannon-wall, which falls away and lets you pass. I'm sure it's possible to make it more compact than my bob-omb mechanism was (I specifically wanted to use bob-ombs for flavor reasons, and I wanted the area under the sedentary boss to drop clear down to lava, which was also expensive in terms of space).

I can try to prototype this at some point if anyone cares. I'm sure I'd do it eventually anyway.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
    pirateluigi
    edited September 2015
    On that note, I tested this mockup I posted in the last thread:

9SwJlpp.png

It works very well. You don't even need the blocks to be densely packed or fed from elsewhere, in fact you only need 2 blocks going the same direction, one starting under the door and the other one track after it.

This works having the blaster slide downward as a door opening, too. You're only limited by how long it takes the blocks to slide out of the way underneath it, and how tall the blaster is. Obviously you need some clearance at the bottom of the screen, but you can run blocks all up the side next to the blaster to keep it shut as long as you need. It's not as slow as bob-ombs blowing out a wall or a shell bouncing, but it might be aesthetically what you want.

I know blocks by themselves could block the door just as easily but they would have to be dense, you don't want people trying to slide through and being crushed. Or maybe you do, I don't know! But I also just like the idea of a bill blaster as a door that slides downward.

I might make a level based on this...blaster doors...blast doors...something something.

UncleSporky on
    Aiouapirateluigi
  • TayaTaya Registered User regular
    While checking the people I follow, I noticed that a lot of levels that I beat and starred (and sometimes left a comment) wasn't starred. I know they didn't reupload it because my flag is on the preview. Anyone else notice this?

• RamiRami Registered User regular
    I've noticed it can sometimes take an hour or two to appear (after receiving notification that someone star'd my course), but nothing more than that.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif