As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Super Mario Maker] Create your own Mario levels and share them with everyone!

1356776

Posts

  • glazedkoalaglazedkoala Registered User regular
    TelMarine wrote: »
    I think it's an interesting way to force a boss battle, but I eventually lost interest...

    @TelMarine good feedback! To be honest, I suspected it might be TOO hard and players would resort to leaping off the bob-bombs. I made another version of it: Mario's Not Good, Pretty Bad Day that gives you unlimited Fire Flowers. I'm not near my Wii U now, but I'll post the code later (or you can find it through looking at my profile if you are interested)

    Ethan Benanav
    www.superhappyfunblock.com
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Taya wrote: »
    While checking the people I follow, I noticed that a lot of levels that I beat and starred (and sometimes left a comment) wasn't starred. I know they didn't reupload it because my flag is on the preview. Anyone else notice this?

    Yeah, I read about this earlier. People were saying the game only remembers the last 100 courses you played and starred.

    However that person doesn't lose your star, so you can play it and star it again to give them another star!

    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    Taya
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    @MNC Dover @The Sauce

    Contest entry! Something pretty simple as I kept running into the situation where every idea I had wouldn't work within the height constraints.

    "This Old Funhouse"
    7071-0000-006A-8AD4

    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Dungeon Crawler Advanced:

    F22E-0000-006D-B2E4

    My most elaborate Metroidvania yet. Can you solve it before time runs out? Features a "boss" battle inspired by my Goomba Arenas.

    Fleur de Alys on
    Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
    Dirk2112SaraLuna
  • ikillkennyikillkenny Registered User regular
    Regarding boss battles, I made a Pikmin themed one in this this level called Olimar's New Planet:

    99F0-0000-005A-FF72

    The idea behind it is that you, as Olimar, are using your Pikmin (green Koopas) to eventually take down Bowser by kicking shells at him in a similar way that you'd throw Pikmin at a boss from one of those games. I tried to prevent the "run through the boss" problem by not giving you much space to get around Bowser and to require you to have a power-up to proceed past him (there's a Bullet Bill you can't avoid afterwards).

    Billiardball
  • Dirk2112Dirk2112 Registered User regular
    2B21-0000-006A-98B9

    Board the Blooper of the Seas a new vessel by Koopa Cruise Lines LLC. Enjoy an outdoor ice rink, a rock climbing wall, fine dining, and even a tour of the engine room.

    NNID = Zepp914
  • ikillkennyikillkenny Registered User regular
    Here's my stab at the contest

    Koopas on a Hot Tin Roof

    0A42-0000-006A-B053

  • ikillkennyikillkenny Registered User regular
    Dirk2112 wrote: »
    @MNC Dover below is my SMMC entry.

    068D-0000-005F-6B5D - Not so Fantastic Voyage

    This one was very clever.

  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    ikillkenny wrote: »
    Dirk2112 wrote: »
    @MNC Dover below is my SMMC entry.

    068D-0000-005F-6B5D - Not so Fantastic Voyage

    This one was very clever.

    Haha took me a bit to get it.

    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    @MNC Dover @The Sauce SMMC entry:

    Master of Disguise - 44AF-0000-006A-E9D3

    Just a silly idea I had a while back that happened to be well-suited for this restriction.

    Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
    pirateluigi
  • DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Alrighty I am back with another Bobble Bubble tribute level. I did not realize you couldn't make the time any longer until I'd already tested this one so there is a bit of a time crunch on it. Seven boards is a little to much for one level I guess.

    Cave of Monsters 4: Kind of scary
    BEC3-0000-006A-F020
    WVW69ia_bgsZ7CSvPK

    Other Cave of Monsters levels:
    Journey to the Cave of Monsters
    C9B6-0000-004C-A885
    WVW69iZk_fwD7j71DK

    Cave of Monsters "Not so deep"
    06D1-0000-0051-DD4F
    WVW69iZyn9k_fyE3dP

    Cave of Monsters 3: Going deeper
    C445-0000-0059-61A5
    WVW69iaGOAYaLGDh-w

    Hope you guys give the levels a try.

    Dritz on
    There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • ConnConn Registered User regular
    A new level from me!

    Nature's Reclaimation
    A856-0000-006B-10F5

    Checking the mail early one morning, Mario is surprised to receive a letter from Great Uncle Fuckley, to remind him of some of his inheritance of an estate some centuries old. The property in question, despite being several square kilometers in size, is valued in fewer than $3,700 in the real estate market. More baffingly, the letter was posted a full 17 years after Great Uncle Fuckley's passing, and on the anniversary of his passing, no less. Not content to let his confusion stand, Mario sets out to his Great Uncle's mansion, to find that the plants and beasts have reclaimed it for their own.

    XBL, PSN, and NNID: "ConnConnor" for all three.
    Andy Joe
  • Dirk2112Dirk2112 Registered User regular
    Figgy wrote: »
    ikillkenny wrote: »
    Dirk2112 wrote: »
    @MNC Dover below is my SMMC entry.

    068D-0000-005F-6B5D - Not so Fantastic Voyage

    This one was very clever.

    Haha took me a bit to get it.

    I was worried people would rush through without noticing the bigger picture and the scene at the end by the flag. Thanks for taking the time to give it a go.

    NNID = Zepp914
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Seen on reddit...

    Nintendo is in the process of doing a Mario Maker world tour of sorts, inviting youtubers around the world to make levels, which Tezuka and other Nintendo developers will then play.

    So you're given this honor. You get to make a level to be played by one of the co-creators of Nintendo's most classic games. What do you do?

    Make the worst, most assholish troll level you possibly can, apparently.

    Italian, where the first jump requires pinpoint accuracy to avoid death, and multiple places where you are required to take a hit as big Mario to proceed

    Portuguese, complete with Kaizo block on the first jump and deathtrap doors

    Tezuka gives these levels like 3 or 4 lives before he passes the controller on, and from what I can see Nintendo has to call in their star players just to complete them.

    tY7sq9Q.png

    Poor Tezuka.

    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    Last day for this week's contest entries!

    If you haven't entered anything yet, give it a shot. I've been playing every course (including last week when I didn't have to judge them) and following all the creators, playing their other courses as well. I'm sure others are doing the same. It's a great way to get more play for your courses (and more stars for medals!).

    Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Dirk2112Dirk2112 Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    The Sauce wrote: »
    I've been playing every course (including last week when I didn't have to judge them) and following all the creators, playing their other courses as well. I'm sure others are doing the same. It's a great way to get more play for your courses (and more stars for medals!).

    I have been doing the same. I have never met any of you, but everyone here has a style to making levels. I think if there was a way to upload levels anonymously, it would be fun to try and guess which person on here made it.

    complete with Kaizo block on the first jump and deathtrap doors

    I love when people do this in Expert mode. I can swipe after only losing 1 life.

    Dirk2112 on
    NNID = Zepp914
  • Xavier1216Xavier1216 Bagu is my name. Show my note to river man. Greater Boston AreaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    I came across a Kaizo level in Expert mode and skipped after the first jump used an invisible block to drop you into a pit. I went back after the 100 Mario challenge and trial-and-error'd my way through the level (once you encountered one kind of trap, it was easy to see where the author would apply the same trap in other places). I was the only person to beat the level at the time, but starred it because it was actually fun and each death was a learning experience instead of feeling cheap. I think the level was titled "Kaizo Mode Engaged" if anyone wants to try and find it.

    As an aside, what does Kaizo mean? I've seen that word used a lot when talking about Mario (and now Mario Maker), but I don't think I've ever seen anyone discuss its origins.

    Xavier1216 on
    SMMB_Xavier1216_Large_zpscdweorm9.png
    PSN: PLD_Xavier | NNID: Xavier1216
  • Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    It was just the name of a set of custom mario levels that were pretty much made to outright troll people. For the most part, they were ONLY beaten using save stating.

    The name Kaizo was the name of the guy who made them I think. At the very least, it is just what he named them.

    I think they are mostly notorious for being the first "stupid hard" mario levels ever fan made. So the naming is mostly Memetic.

    Xavier1216
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Xavier1216 wrote: »
    I came across a Kaizo level in Expert mode and skipped after the first jump used an invisible block to drop you into a pit. I went back after the 100 Mario challenge and trial-and-error'd my way through the level (once you encountered one kind of trap, it was easy to see where the author would apply the same trap in other places). I was the only person to beat the level at the time, but starred it because it was actually fun and each death was a learning experience instead of feeling cheap. I think the level was titled "Kaizo Mode Engaged" if anyone wants to try and find it.

    As an aside, what does Kaizo mean? I've seen that word used a lot when talking about Mario (and now Mario Maker), but I don't think I've ever seen anyone discuss its origins.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaizo_Mario_World

    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
    Kai_SanXavier1216
  • Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Oh well nm, its a descriptive Japanese word and we took it and redefined it.

  • gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    The Sauce wrote: »
    Dungeon Crawler Advanced:

    90A0-0000-006A-8C54

    My most elaborate Metroidvania yet. Can you solve it before time runs out? Features a "boss" battle inspired by my Goomba Arenas.

    I'm pretty sure I managed to sequence break your level. I had all the powerups without going into the sub-world :)
    I bypassed the Thomps by timing it right and used the Goomba to kill the Piranha Plants.

    Fleur de Alyspirateluigi
  • Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    gjaustin wrote: »
    The Sauce wrote: »
    Dungeon Crawler Advanced:

    90A0-0000-006A-8C54

    My most elaborate Metroidvania yet. Can you solve it before time runs out? Features a "boss" battle inspired by my Goomba Arenas.

    I'm pretty sure I managed to sequence break your level. I had all the powerups without going into the sub-world :)
    I bypassed the Thomps by timing it right and used the Goomba to kill the Piranha Plants.
    I figured it was possible to sequence break. Nice work!

    Fleur de Alys on
    Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    Maz-Dirk2112physi_marc
  • BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    edited September 2015

    Maybe you can use those one-way panels to avoid abusing the checkpoint.

    Edit: Wait that would make the checkpoint useless...

    BronzeKoopa on
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I did something similar in my Balloon Fight Final level.

    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    Won't be able to Mario Make for a few weeks. I have graph paper though!

    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    So I'm guessing there's a down pipe hidden under the other two?

    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    Grunt's Ghosts
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular

    Not a bad idea, but I think hiding a pipe to the left and up would be a bit better. Especially since once you see this on one level, it's the honour system from then on out for every other level that uses it. Oh look, two pipes facing each other. There's a checkpoint entry.

    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
    gjaustin
  • gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    Figgy wrote: »

    Not a bad idea, but I think hiding a pipe to the left and up would be a bit better. Especially since once you see this on one level, it's the honour system from then on out for every other level that uses it. Oh look, two pipes facing each other. There's a checkpoint entry.

    Then people start putting multiple ones in a level, where some of them dump you into a pit.

    Yay for escalation!

    King Riptor
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Someone else in that thread pointed out another really cool, simple checkpoint.

    You know how you can overlap pipes to make two pipes take you to the same location, and other shenanigans?

    Early in the level, you have the player take a pipe to continue onward. However, if they just go back into the same pipe, they come out much further in the level. Because really, who is going to take the time to go back through every pipe they just used?

    You could either put this halfway pipe in an obvious location and let them figure it out, or you can explicitly leave a miiverse comment saying that your checkpoint is to go back through the starting pipe again. Although, then you're contending with the general public giving it away, like everyone always does ("hidden 1-up here").

    Also on that note, somebody was saying that the 1.10 update seems to have made it so that no one can have more than one displayed comment on a level anymore. I will have to look into this, I left a couple comments on one of my own levels.

    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    The checkpoint system I used in one of my levels and the one I started yesterday just has a really obvious symbol made of blocks at the beginning of the level, that you can't really interact with in any way. Then at some point later in the level, I made that same obvious symbol and a bunch of arrows that point at a square a few spaces away from it, indicating a hidden block. The hope is that if people die, they will remember that and hunt for a hidden block in the same location at the beginning of the level.

    Of course, I'm aware that not everyone will try for that, and there's also the possibility that someone will discover it accidentally. Still, I like it.

    King Riptor
  • SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    Because really, who is going to take the time to go back through every pipe they just used?

    Raocow?

  • glazedkoalaglazedkoala Registered User regular
    Finally, it's Tingle's turn to shine in:

    Tingle's Big Treasure Hunt
    4845-000-006C-D54E

    In true Tingle fashion, the level is very easy to beat. You could beat it right away! Or... will you risk searching down below for as many coins as you can get your grubby Tingle hands on? Post how many coins you are able to collect and let's see who gets the high score!

    Ethan Benanav
    www.superhappyfunblock.com
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Finally, it's Tingle's turn to shine in:

    Tingle's Big Treasure Hunt
    4845-000-006C-D54E

    In true Tingle fashion, the level is very easy to beat. You could beat it right away! Or... will you risk searching down below for as many coins as you can get your grubby Tingle hands on? Post how many coins you are able to collect and let's see who gets the high score!

    I wish the game recorded coins collected.

    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
    glazedkoala
  • Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Well the score kind of is a good measure of that. Assuming there is no other way to gain score.

  • OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I did something similar in my Balloon Fight Final level.

    I had fun with that stage, and was amused when I discovered the checkpoint. Can't recall if I beat it, but I know I threw myself at it for a good while.

    I had already decided by the end of the first section that if I died in the back half I was done for good, but the checkpoint hooked me for a little longer. Near two minutes to clear each portion was pretty punishing though.

    MNC Dover
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    Okay I made my first non-traditional level

    It's a 'challenge' map. Basically, you can finish the level at any time, or you can keep re-trying the challenge course to see how far you can get.

    4F75-0000-006C-CCE8

    If you can make it to the end of the challenge, you win a prize!*

    *prize may be imaginary

    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Dirk2112Dirk2112 Registered User regular
    Dritz wrote: »
    Alrighty I am back with another Bobble Bubble tribute level. I did not realize you couldn't make the time any longer until I'd already tested this one so there is a bit of a time crunch on it. Seven boards is a little to much for one level I guess.

    Cave of Monsters 4: Kind of scary
    BEC3-0000-006A-F020
    WVW69ia_bgsZ7CSvPK

    Hope you guys give the levels a try.

    Ugh. Yoshi not spitting out bombs makes this level very time consuming. Then I spit the feather where I couldn't get it. Damn Yoshi! I'll have to try it again later when I have more time.

    NNID = Zepp914
  • DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    Dirk2112 wrote: »
    Dritz wrote: »
    Alrighty I am back with another Bobble Bubble tribute level. I did not realize you couldn't make the time any longer until I'd already tested this one so there is a bit of a time crunch on it. Seven boards is a little to much for one level I guess.

    Cave of Monsters 4: Kind of scary
    BEC3-0000-006A-F020
    WVW69ia_bgsZ7CSvPK

    Hope you guys give the levels a try.

    Ugh. Yoshi not spitting out bombs makes this level very time consuming. Then I spit the feather where I couldn't get it. Damn Yoshi! I'll have to try it again later when I have more time.

    Yah not a huge fan of the Mario World theme, at least for something like this.

    There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
Sign In or Register to comment.