As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Super Mario Maker] Create your own Mario levels and share them with everyone!

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    pirateluigiZilla360
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    NX = Nintendo Xbox confirmed

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
    TDawgWarlock82
  • RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Damn, those contest submissions were so good!

Had a great time just now raiding the lost shroom, saving Yoshi, and becoming a master of disguise.

NNID: Rehab0
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    agoaj wrote: »
    NX = Nintendo Xbox confirmed
    It was a decade later than we thought, but Microsoft finally bought Nintendo.

YL9WnCY.png
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Congratulations to @pirateluigi the winner of this week's contest! PM me your next contest idea and I'll post it in the OP.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    TDawg
  • WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Do we have a master list of all the entries for this one?

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
    SaraLunaTDawg
    edited September 2015
    I don't know if other people do this, but since the cap is three I usually hide three one-ups in my stages. Sometimes two since technically the goal is a 1-Up.

Kinda like star coins?

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    TDawg
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Spent the last few days making this one. More thematic than challenging. But there's a boss fight at the end that's a bit different, I think.

"Air Force Assault"
    C2D3-0000-0073-9F11

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Dirk2112Dirk2112 Registered User regular
    Master of Disguise was probably my favorite. Raiders of the Lost Shroom was definitely a worthy choice too.
    Figgy wrote: »
    Spent the last few days making this one. More thematic than challenging. But there's a boss fight at the end that's a bit different, I think.

"Air Force Assault"
    C2D3-0000-0073-9F11

I prefer thematic to challenging. This is a good enjoyable level, but I totally skipped the boss.

NNID = Zepp914
    What I would give for platforms that only enemies or Mario can stand on.

YL9WnCY.png
  • gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    I don't know if other people do this, but since the cap is three I usually hide three one-ups in my stages. Sometimes two since technically the goal is a 1-Up.

Kinda like star coins?

Yeah, I do that too.

Though I generally try and hide around 100 coins and one or two 1-Ups.

First course in a while: 831A-0000-0073-EF40

It's a bit harder than I'd like due to the way Bowser works in this game, but I tried to be fairly generous with the mushrooms.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    Wyvern wrote: »
    The OP has been updated with the master list. Though it had the wrong entry for Rehab last I looked.

Lots of good entries this week. Ultimately pirateluigi won as the couse kept making me smile and laugh; it really grasped the fun factor. Other courses were also really good, though I had trouble completing some of them (and ultimately had to give up on a couple).

Thanks to everyone who contributed for all the fun!

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting

As The Sauce said, the master list is in the OP. What I'll do is keep a list of the current contest and the prior week contest. When the new contest begins, the older when will get cycled out. That should give everyone enough time to check the older entries.

It also wouldn't hurt to have everyone number their entries in the title so people can find them after a long time. Something simple like "SMMC2 - Title" or whatever.

Also, @Rehab, can I get your contest entry so I can update the OP properly? Thanks!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Came across this course in 100 Mario challenge.

It made me laugh.

B2E2-0000-0047-5147

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Made another music level!

6qn5XTY.png

The ID is A1FD-0000-0074-2C65

I did some new things with this one. It's in two parts, and you can repeat it if you like! Also there is some weird stuff going on in time with the music.

It's tough to make a music level repeatable...if you use powerups as instruments, a chunk of them just disappear after the first run. Generally ones at the start of the level. I have no idea why. You can see that here, there are some stars that play a few notes near the start and they're not there the next time around. Oh well...I just used mostly enemies instead.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    Zilla360
    Cool tip: when using ground blocks, sometimes they spawn with random background decorations that are just for aesthetics. You can, however, control these by copying the block with the decoration. Likewise, you can remove a decoration by copying a bare block over it.

YL9WnCY.png
    Zilla360Fleur de AlysAbsoluteZero
    edited September 2015
    MNC Dover wrote: »

As The Sauce said, the master list is in the OP. What I'll do is keep a list of the current contest and the prior week contest. When the new contest begins, the older when will get cycled out. That should give everyone enough time to check the older entries.

It also wouldn't hurt to have everyone number their entries in the title so people can find them after a long time. Something simple like "SMMC2 - Title" or whatever.

Also, @Rehab, can I get your contest entry so I can update the OP properly? Thanks!

Sure thing, there you go.
    vcuoll2av8pe.jpg

And my contest submission will probably be the course that I will cycle out myself among all of my updated ones until I can go beyond the initial 10 courses. I'll leave this one up until at least Wednesday though.

Rehab on
  • IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Wild: BC84-0000-0074-C14C
    qj5wa0wsdbpk.jpg

From a crayon drawing made in my youth comes what I'd titled "Super Mario Bros. 5, level 7 Wild World". Unlike previous stages, I used all the space on this notebook page to draw this single course, so it's fairly long. The theme I drew changed from jungle, to underground, to islets over water, to an ice cave. I'm surprised I actually achieved that all in a single Super Mario Maker course. As before, this was originally drawn with the SMB3 grassland theme as well as slopes in mind for the outdoor bits, but it's only slightly off, unlike High Hill Road. Enjoy!

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Cool tip: when using ground blocks, sometimes they spawn with random background decorations that are just for aesthetics. You can, however, control these by copying the block with the decoration. Likewise, you can remove a decoration by copying a bare block over it.

I did this in my IM level, there's always a hidden block above a clock. Most of the time I advertised this with coins but at one point there's a block hiding a feather for the shortcut which is above a clock but with no other indicators.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
    I've certainly done that in a few levels as well. There are a couple Super Mario World cave levels where I copied and pasted the skeleton of what looks like a dinosaur corpse all over the place just for effect.

A level that I'm working on right now had a repeated decoration at the beginning that actually inspired the tile set for the level itself.

• OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Chase Scene: A489-0000-0074-BC82

I don't think I executed on this particularly well, but I got excited by the notion of a high-pressure pursuit throughout a level that keeps you moving in the absence of a super strict timer or auto-scrolling.

It turned out to be pretty complicated, trying to slow the player's max speed enough to keep the 'chase' element present at all times, yet not so tight that you can become overwhelmed by sheer chance. I wanted tension and a real threat that can be overcome by moving quickly, but not to let it drift too far into the realm of frustration.

I also didn't want the level to be barren of secrets or alternate routes, but keeping things relatively flat and pits rather narrow was mandatory for the mechanic to work at all.

I'll probably try a whole other environment at some point, and others might have already tried this to greater success, but I'd appreciate any feedback. This definitely feels like a level I got to know too well to properly measure difficulty and pacing.

OneAngryPossum on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I really hope theres a Nintendo's Choice series because there is a lot of poop highly ranked online.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    Zilla360AbsoluteZeroSuper Namicchi
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Made a few levels got my Classic 8 bit amiibo so one is just messing around with that nothing special

Hare Fleet
    48BF-0000-006F-FE03
    Mega Mario test course
    7A9D-0000-0075-A189

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    Some people are going way over the top on their level promo art and I love it. I haven't even played this level yet and have no clue about its quality or anything, but I had to post it.

07IJ5Ti.jpg

This one is pretty cool too, and the level is fun, with you starting underground and gradually traveling up to space. The guy's other courses are also good, he's the one who did the Cthulhu level.

M9ziOVa.png

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    Fleur de AlysMaz-SaraLunaTDawgZilla360
  • SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    that bank heist level is pretty good

gjaustin
  • AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    It's tough to make a music level repeatable...if you use powerups as instruments, a chunk of them just disappear after the first run. Generally ones at the start of the level. I have no idea why. You can see that here, there are some stars that play a few notes near the start and they're not there the next time around. Oh well...I just used mostly enemies instead.
    Yeah, powerups can be weird. Normally if you take a door or two pipes, the powerups will still be around. But if you let them sit around until they disappear (or if you get the powerup), then they don't respawn when you re-enter the zone. I noticed that problem in my level where I used mushrooms or flowers to label my pipes, but it wasn't really a big deal in that case.

• glazedkoalaglazedkoala Registered User regular
    edited September 2015

Kinda like star coins?

The only issue is that it's never worth risking losing a life to get a one-up, but this isn't a bad idea.

Wow that promo art is insane.

glazedkoala on
    Ethan Benanav
    www.superhappyfunblock.com
    Fleur de Alys
  • Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    Not going to make a habit of "message" courses, but I really wanted to do this one. I hope I still made it fun enough to play. It's tricky to do that while still having each element mean something. Also it's super on the nose, so yeah.

My Name Is Maria!:

8E9B-0000-0076-AB0B

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Im almost to 150!

I think Im gonna make a series of tutorial stages for lesser known mechanics with my extra space.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    SUPER MARIO MAKER CHALLENGE #3!

This week's theme provided and judged by pirateluigi!

Theme: Raccoon Mario!
    Restrictions: See below
    Level Types: SMB3 only!
    Contest date: 9/27-10/2 (Sun-Fri)
    Reward: Winner of this round chooses the next theme and winner!

Submissions:

Notes from pirateluigi:

This week's theme: I've been playing games a long time, but my favorite moment ever might still be the first time I saw Mario turn into a raccoon. Your levels for this week's challenge must feature the raccoon leaf in a meaningful way. And of course this means it has to be in the SMB3 theme.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    Fleur de Alys
    Just encountered a kind of sloppy/weird but fun challenge in 100 Mario. There was a long path of note blocks, and every block contained a Boo circle! These don't hurt you until they're fully emerged, so it was less difficult than it sounds, but still it was really cool, like "shitshitSHIIIIIT" the whole way, trying to bounce higher so I hit fewer blocks, trying to keep moving as quickly as possible.

Zilla360
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I was inspired by one of the previous contests here, and I made my own claustrophobia level. I didn't exactly follow the rules to the letter of the contest, nor did I make this level anywhere near the submission date. But here's what I've got. I think it came out pretty good.

Claustrophobia Skies
    AE21-0000-0077-5BD1

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    So I was watching a stream of someone playing last night and saw two cool things. Maybe this is super old to everyone else, but they seemed like interesting mechanics to me:

1.) A "minecart" level where a bill launcher shot out a Buzzy shell, with another large bill launcher landing on top of it and kind of forming an L shape with Mario riding it. Then you had to avoid obstacles by hoping over them as the shell barreled through the course, kind of like a DKC minecart level or something. It worked out really well since the Bill Launcher kind of kept Mario from falling off the shell (at least from the back).

2.) A wall jumping challenge level. The twist was, there were really long bullet bill launchers attached to Lakitu clouds. Because of the way the clouds follow Mario, the launcher would move forward every time you jumped, so you basically guided it to the left by wall jumping off the bill launcher to get over spikes. It was really cool how well that worked and makes me wonder if there are other possible applications of Lakitu's cloud in this manner. I assume almost anything placed inside it would work to follow Mario like that.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    Zilla360
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I was inspired by one of the previous contests here, and I made my own claustrophobia level. I didn't exactly follow the rules to the letter of the contest, nor did I make this level anywhere near the submission date. But here's what I've got. I think it came out pretty good.

Claustrophobia Skies
    AE21-0000-0077-5BD1

I like this level, it always lets you know what's coming, so even though you're sprinting through a lot of it you never feel like you're in danger of running full speed into some unexpected hazard.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
    Iron Maker begins in one hour! Get ready!

YL9WnCY.png
  • Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Back in town after a week. I'm VERY behind on playing everyone's levels. I'm pretty tired and so i will probably skip IM, even though it looks super interesting.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular

Who won last week's? I think I missed that announcement.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
    Maz- wrote: »

Who won last week's? I think I missed that announcement.
    I caught a cold last week, and only just started playing Maker again yesterday. On Monday I will probably replay last week's entries along with this week's, and announce the winners for both.

YL9WnCY.png
    edited September 2015
    Man, I finally saw my first Mario World castle ending to 100 Mario Challenge!

...It was an automatic level. At least it was kind of interesting.

Also Mario 3 style is hyper-rare in 100 Mario Challenge. :( It's probably my favorite style. You can do the most interesting things with it visually, you're not set in stone with "this is underground, see the parallax cave background?!" etc. And I like Mario's ability set in it. Can't spin or wall jump, but you can fly and break things with the raccoon tail, and can carry stuff. It's the right balance without feeling like there are a bunch of design gotchas to take into consideration.

Strangely enough, with Mario 3's rarity...it almost feels like when you encounter them, they're guaranteed to be a decent level, or at least to have some thought put into them. Like only people nostalgic for Mario 3 are making levels in that style, so they're older gamers who put more time into their creations. Or something. Really, whenever I come across one in the challenge it's not too bad compared to the rest.

UncleSporky on