Options

[Super Mario Maker] Create your own Mario levels and share them with everyone!

• Options
    AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    I think I have perfected my P-Power Switch Palace now. The final puzzle now uses bobombs, the Lift Puzzle cannot be cheesed and the Bowser junior teams up with Kamek for a boss battle that needs reflexes and perhaps some fast thinking as well as you try to set up their demise!

P-POWER Switch Palace
    New ID: FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

a8cegcc36rw6.jpg

Since this level has quite a few contained rooms you will need to navigate, and I'll be visiting a sick relative the rest of the week, I'll submit it to this current SMMC as well!

I believe in the power of P!

Alphagaia on
    Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • Options

See my profile here!
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    They officially added an item to make it easier to create shmups. That's kinda awesome.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    It's cool, and will make better shmups, but what I'm really excited about is the P-Door. I will make cool-ass puzzle/maze courses!

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    P door.... nintendo you are SO close to making Bosses not a chore.

Now just let us put Items (like say, a P switch) into enemies so they are dropped when they die and you are DONE.

Good update though. The bouncers and fireball car were stuff I could basically say "I didn't need this but its cool", and the P doors are a given, but the thing that got me really excited was the best clear times on courses. That adds some longevity to the game and is such a simple thing. If you could then add in a collectible coin type thing I think we would add YEARS to the game quite easily.

Though thinking about it, why not add P coins along with P doors? Seems like a no brainer even if relatively useless.

Kai_San on
  • Options
    cravipatcravipat CFKPW? Registered User regular
    Alphagaia wrote: »
    I think I have perfected my P-Power Switch Palace now. The final puzzle now uses bobombs, the Lift Puzzle cannot be cheesed and the Bowser junior teams up with Kamek for a boss battle that needs reflexes and perhaps some fast thinking as well as you try to set up their demise!

I didn't get a chance to play the other versions of this but I had a lot of fun with this one. All the challenges were more mental than reflex which was a nice change of pace. I did run into a few problems
    The p-switch in the pipe gets me again. When I see a pipe in a odd location I'll run up next to it. Wait to make sure no enemies are coming out. Then try to enter it. These exact steps keep the p-switch from appearing and I'm left wondering what to do. I ran into a worse situation with two thwomp/pow elevators. For whatever reason the bobomb didn't come out of the pipe so I thought I had to ride the pow blocks up to the pipe to enter. It turns out if you do this you'll get stuck in the pow blocks and you'll have to restart or let the time run out.

I also ran into something odd with the flying thwomp. The flying thwomp had the pow on it and I made the upper thwomp come down and hit it. Normally this killed both thwomps but I had one time where it only killed the upper thwomp. The pow from the upper pipe then landed on the flying thwomp and I couldn't continue from there since a new pow wouldn't fall in order to take out the narrow hallway of thwomps.

The donut/door puzzle also stumped me. I didn't move over far enough to see the door before all the blocks fell. I went back and forth a few times before I figured out what I needed to do. Even a coin above the column of pows with the door might be enough.

I suspect I know how you intended the last battle to work but I just forced my way through Bowser Jr and let Kamek take out the bricks. If I was supposed to lure Jr down there to take out the pow stack I didn't have the patience.

nw1m8qQ.pngwNA4DEe.png6W3X2nk.png
    Super Mario Maker ID: DBB-1RH-JJG
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    These new items really make me want to give my course idea another attempt. The bumpers and new Clown Car especially would fit the theme well. Hmmm...

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    I think at some point in the near future the theme needs to be around time trial type courses.

When you create a level with potential speed clears in mind, there is a LOT of stuff you can do to make a level relatively easy to play, but extremely hard to play quickly and efficiently. It gives purpose to otherwise ignorable powerups, alternate difficulty paths, and high end tech that could otherwise be completely avoidable. The idea of that excited me.

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    SMMC - The Final Boss 1.1
    B7C6-0000-011E-962A

I thought about making Goomba Arenas 2. I considered a boss rush.

Then I thought, nahh, how about a single giant epic boss fight in multiple parts?

This is the result. I hope you enjoy it. I think it's pretty tough, but the plentiful power-ups makes it quite manageable.

Fleur de Alys on
    Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    Wow, even more new features! Love this game.

3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    cravipat wrote: »
    Alphagaia wrote: »

I didn't get a chance to play the other versions of this but I had a lot of fun with this one. All the challenges were more mental than reflex which was a nice change of pace. I did run into a few problems
    The p-switch in the pipe gets me again. When I see a pipe in a odd location I'll run up next to it. Wait to make sure no enemies are coming out. Then try to enter it. These exact steps keep the p-switch from appearing and I'm left wondering what to do. I ran into a worse situation with two thwomp/pow elevators. For whatever reason the bobomb didn't come out of the pipe so I thought I had to ride the pow blocks up to the pipe to enter. It turns out if you do this you'll get stuck in the pow blocks and you'll have to restart or let the time run out.

I also ran into something odd with the flying thwomp. The flying thwomp had the pow on it and I made the upper thwomp come down and hit it. Normally this killed both thwomps but I had one time where it only killed the upper thwomp. The pow from the upper pipe then landed on the flying thwomp and I couldn't continue from there since a new pow wouldn't fall in order to take out the narrow hallway of thwomps.

The donut/door puzzle also stumped me. I didn't move over far enough to see the door before all the blocks fell. I went back and forth a few times before I figured out what I needed to do. Even a coin above the column of pows with the door might be enough.

I suspect I know how you intended the last battle to work but I just forced my way through Bowser Jr and let Kamek take out the bricks. If I was supposed to lure Jr down there to take out the pow stack I didn't have the patience.

Thanks for the great feedback!

I have made the following fixes:
    1) I placed the pipe spawning the P-switch on the ceiling, so you don't cause the P-block to not spawn if you jump on the pipe or stand next to it. This speeds up gameplay.

2) The flying thwomb can sometimes not kill itself. The puzzle is still doable by exiting the screen and jumping upward to spawn the POW block again. I made it harder to not kill the thwomp and lowered the pipe spawning the POW-block so it spawns whenever you leave the screen.

3) I placed a nice little arrow of coins pointing to the door. People will figure it out eventually, anyway. But it should be a little bit more obvious.

4) Wow, I did not know you could get stuck in the bobomb part! I have made an exit and tilted the pipes so this cannot happen anymore.

5) The Bowser JR fight can be won in a number of ways. This is done because should a player kill bowser jr the puzzle still should be solvable. You can let bowser jr hit the POW-blocks, let magikoopa hit it a POW-block or just hitting Bowser jr twice so he starts shooting shells which you can bounce on a POW-block.

Thanks again for the playtesting!

P-POWER Switch Palace

New ID: FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

Alphagaia on

See my profile here!
  • Options
    Kai_San wrote: »
    I think at some point in the near future the theme needs to be around time trial type courses.

When you create a level with potential speed clears in mind, there is a LOT of stuff you can do to make a level relatively easy to play, but extremely hard to play quickly and efficiently. It gives purpose to otherwise ignorable powerups, alternate difficulty paths, and high end tech that could otherwise be completely avoidable. The idea of that excited me.

Ooh yeah! That's where we'll see the actually well-designed courses pop up online!

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    I mean one way to do it is just to make the time limit harsh.

• Options
    edited December 2015
    Gundi wrote: »
    I mean one way to do it is just to make the time limit harsh.

Yeah, but that sucks and doesn't really do it. It's more interesting to have cleverly thought out levels with a generous timer that allow for exploration or safety for less experienced players, but that also allows pros to find the shortest route through it.

On another note, my (updated) SMMC entry is here:

How Low Can You Let the Timer Go (5D2D-0000-0122-EC66)

8bzy3vjwrbji.jpg

It's technically very easy to beat, barely takes a second, but the goal is for the players to compete and see who can last the longest in this arena. When you go through the door at the bottom, you IMMEDIATELY touch the flagpole, without a single timer unit being consumed. The point is to finish and screencap it, and have the lowest timer possible.

Djiem on
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    @Djiem: cool idea! Gonna playtest it soon!

@The Sauce : you ain't kidding about the difficulty. It throws you right in the deep end. I like the challenge it provides. It takes a few deaths figuring out the safest path and I like such challenges. I'm not sure I like the addition of the boo and the fireball though as it might make it a bit random since you leave the screen and lose sight of the boo, the fireball and the flames of bowser.

Gameplay wise, the pipe spawning the power up could use a bit more room, so it actually spawns the shroom without edging the lava pit. I did not have the time to beat it yet, but so far it feels a little bit of a slog repeating the same route to get through, but I like the way it gets harder! Gonna beat it soon!

Alphagaia on

See my profile here!
  • Options
    The Sauce wrote: »
    SMMC - The Final Boss
    91C5-0000-011D-9525

I thought about making Goomba Arenas 2. I considered a boss rush.

Then I thought, nahh, how about a single giant epic boss fight in multiple parts?

This is the result. I hope you enjoy it. I think it's pretty tough, but the plentiful power-ups makes it quite manageable.

The fact that it's so short and that I got close to the end early on made me keep going but I died a lot. I'm sure a more patient player would have a better time of it. 3/4 of my deaths were probably on that initial jump across to the vines and letting the randomness of the flames decide if I was going to make it or not. More specifics
    The limitless power ups in the first section is nice but I think it makes the player too reliant on it. At the start I'd always jump across to the vines, climb up to get the first column of coins and then back down to the mushroom. Once I got to this point I'd always complete the first section because it was almost impossible to die. The second section takes that away. I couldn't make it through the second section without getting hit in the flame corridor. No matter how careful I was Bowser's flames or one of the spines would get me while I waited to get though the flame jets. And good luck if you accidentally brought the boo over with you. It would be nice if the powerup in that section was always a fire flower. That would give extra careful players a chance to take out the spiney or for players like me an extra layer of protection.

• Options
    Dirk2112Dirk2112 Registered User regular
    I find Dirk's lack of contest entry disturbing.

My wife got us tickets to see the new Star Wars movie tonight. I wanted to wait a few weeks to see it as I don't like crowds and the prequels were terrible. Anyway, I have maybe an hour and a half to build something tonight. If I can't come up with something decent, I won't have an entry this week.

NNID = Zepp914
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Thanks for the feedback! I agree with pretty much all of it and uploaded a new version with some tweaks:

* I eliminated the boo. It was originally there to hold the boss music effect and for little other reason, but it had the potential to ruin the second part. I remembered you can drag music effects onto Mario and did that instead.

* The top part that blocks the second half now only requires 2 p-hits to clear. Eliminates the slog. No gotcha initial wall of coins either.

* Moved the pit left one tile to add breathing room. The trap bullet bill is also nudged left one so it's still on the edge.

* Added another vine going up each side so it's a bit easier to dodge the fireballs if you need to.

* Moved the far right vine from a ? block to the ground and added a second one. This gives more room to dodge around the giant spiney.

* Reduced the timer to 200 seconds since it's much shorter now.

Nice job @cravipat for being the only one to clear the original version (out of 61 total attempts) :)

Fleur de Alys on
    Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    The new content drops this Monday 12/21 in NA and 12/22 in EU/Japan. Awesome!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Dirk2112 wrote: »
    Anyway, I have maybe an hour and a half to build something tonight. If I can't come up with something decent, I won't have an entry this week.
    You've still got time
    Wyvern wrote: »
    Super Mario Maker Challenge #13

Since we're starting late and I assume we don't want to have the next contest due immediately after Christmas, I'll wait until Monday to judge the entries, if that's okay with everyone.

Nice job @cravipat for being the only one to clear the original version (out of 61 total attempts) :)
    Any my reward is a new upload that wipes out my achievement. :biggrin: I don't know if I have it in me to try again.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Finally got caught up on the event courses. Weird that costume 112 doesn't seem to exist. *shrug* Unless I missed something. Also did an Expert 100 Mario challenge... uggggg..... it's just so painful. They really need to add new ways to unlock the other costumes. Don't force me to swipe passed 50 kaizo levels please...

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Uh-oh. Gonna have to tweak my level tomorrow. The door being directly on the flagpole makes it so that ending screencaps don't show the timer.

• Options
    Thanks for the feedback! I agree with pretty much all of it and uploaded a new version with some tweaks:

* I eliminated the boo. It was originally there to hold the boss music effect and for little other reason, but it had the potential to ruin the second part. I remembered you can drag music effects onto Mario and did that instead.

* The top part that blocks the second half now only requires 2 p-hits to clear. Eliminates the slog. No gotcha initial wall of coins either.

* Moved the pit left one tile to add breathing room. The trap bullet bill is also nudged left one so it's still on the edge.

* Added another vine going up each side so it's a bit easier to dodge the fireballs if you need to.

* Moved the far right vine from a ? block to the ground and added a second one. This gives more room to dodge around the giant spiney.

* Reduced the timer to 200 seconds since it's much shorter now.

Since I seem to enjoy punishing myself I went back and tried this again. The change to the first coin/block wall is good, but I think I liked that first column of gotcha coins. In the first few runs of the new course I kept climbing up there to get them. Having only two p-switch cycles to get though it means I could get back to the second section faster in order to practice what I needed to do. I doubt it took me more than 10 tries to get though the new version but that might have been since I had spent so much time on the first version.

• Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    New level yay!

CoM 13: Underground Warfare
    6F4B-0000-011F-7B30
    WVW69iq7OeM02McR1v

Other Cave of Monsters levels:
    Journey to the Cave of Monsters
    C9B6-0000-004C-A885
    WVW69iZk_fwD7j71DK

Cave of Monsters "Not so deep"
    06D1-0000-0051-DD4F
    WVW69iZyn9k_fyE3dP

Cave of Monsters 3: Going deeper
    C445-0000-0059-61A5
    WVW69iaGOAYaLGDh-w

Cave of Monsters 4: Kind of scary
    BEC3-0000-006A-F020
    WVW69ia_bgsZ7CSvPK

Cave of Monsters 5: Does it end?
    44FE-0000-0072-CC6F
    WVW69ibYvgkoz064j8

CoM6:Mysterious Underground Home
    D265-0000-007E-00A1
    WVW69icBiPAEpR5twd

CoM7:MUH Two:SMB3 Style:Level 32
    198A-0000-00D6-EA45
    WVW69iixj28bfpTy4e

CoM8: MUH 3: Spooky
    5060-0000-008A-5B06
    WVW69icx7OgBBicKIu

CoM9: MUH4: Check out time
    C75B-0000-008D-9F09
    WVW69ic9khkeYZx4kp

CoM 10: The Underground Lake
    9D32-0000-0113-EA09
    WVW69ipeu1MDnfl29P

CoM 11: Leaky Faucet
    1E1A-0000-0113-EB4C
    WVW69ipeyLUnYbJHkE

Cave of Monsters 12: Sploosh!
    WVW69imDWDAG7dg9Hh
    1788-0000-00F7-CF02

There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    100 Mario Challenge just hooked me up with @Alphagaia's Kamek Castle as the final course. What a great way to wrap up a run :)

There's a neat pair of event courses up as well.

Fleur de Alys on
  • Options
    100 Mario Challenge just hooked me up with @Alphagaia's Kamek Castle as the final course. What a great way to wrap up a run :)

There's a neat pair of event courses up as well.

O god, that's my second level ever and it's a random bullet hell. I'm sorry!

See my profile here!
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    On another note: remember how I said my level is done two edits ago?

A mate of mine did not understand the bobomb puzzle so I added a little turiorial in front of it and changed the route so the player learns the mechanics a bit more

Final edit for my entry!
    New ID: 3838-0000-0122-9359

Alphagaia on

See my profile here!
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Alright, I think I fixed/tweaked my level:

8bzy3vjwrbji.jpg

I've made it easier so that people will do better than only a few seconds. Some might even bring the timer down to 1...
    And now, it should properly screencap. Anyone willing to try it, if only to show me if the screencaps work?

Djiem on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Djiem wrote: »

8bzy3vjwrbji.jpg

I've made it easier so that people will do better than only a few seconds. Some might even bring the timer down to 1...
    And now, it should properly screencap. Anyone willing to try it, if only to show me if the screencaps work?

Done! Seemed to work. I sucked at it though!

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular

8bzy3vjwrbji.jpg

I probably coulda got it to 001, but I settled on 006. It seemed to capture correctly on my miiverse comment.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    Wyvern wrote: »
    Super Mario Maker Challenge #13

Theme - Are you not entertained?!
    Build a course based on arena battles.

Your course should include at least one arena-style encounter--some sort of small-ish enclosed space filled with enemies, hazards, or bosses where the player must fight their way out or survive for a period of time (i.e. something you can't just easily sprint across).

It's up to you whether you want to make a course that consists entirely of arena encounters or a larger course that includes at least one as a major centerpiece.

I've been known to experiment with various flavors of arena encounters from time to time, and I'd like to see what sorts of designs other people can come up with, whether it's an especially interesting combination of threats or a creative mechanism for the arena itself.

Since we're starting late and I assume we don't want to have the next contest due immediately after Christmas, I'll wait until Monday to judge the entries, if that's okay with everyone.

I'm gonna say mine just barely qualifies since I made a standard level with my first attempt at a boss encounter:

Second In Command - B167-0000-0123-7B49
    WVW69irXnh0XjVlvIw

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Took the liberty of uploading s course I whipped up.

Bowser's Greatest Champion

EDBE-0000-0123-8A7D

Edit: I see my level doesn't qualify for the SMMC requirements. Well. It's still up there in anyone wants to play it.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    Ah geez, now it turns out the starmen allow you to kill fireballs?!
    This is NOT an easy concept to design!

• Options
    I didn't want to stop my momentum on entering the SMMC but areas/bosses are what I'm the weakest at. I ended up updating my existing Contra based level by adding a short section inside the base culminating in a recreation of the base computer boss.

Codes Don't Work - SMMC #13
    8C7E-0000-0123-C744

• Options

That's how I was able to get such a low time.

• Options
    Dirk2112Dirk2112 Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    I built a level messing around with Bowser Junior, but it really sucks. I had other things to do with Junior, but it was really hard to reliably get him to go where I wanted. It doesn't feel like an arena battle so Bah humbug.

Dirk2112 on
    NNID = Zepp914
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    TelMarine wrote: »

That's how I was able to get such a low time.

That's how I was able to last as long as I did! I then stood at the left edge and kept making the two platforms in front of me drop so the shells never reached me. I got nervous and made my way to the exit early though ☺

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    edited December 2015

Yeah, sorry ya did not know that! Either remove the stars or let the fireballs respawn from pipes/add new ones every 20 seconds via rails??

Alphagaia on

See my profile here!
  • Options
    I could always replace the fireballs with munchers, but they would affect the spiny shells. That would work, but it would require some tweaking with the note blocks and stuff...

I really like the idea of that timer competition, so I will re-work on this course regardless of the SMMC, because it's worth working.