As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Super Mario Maker] Create your own Mario levels and share them with everyone!

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Rami wrote: »
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I was inspired by one of the previous contests here, and I made my own claustrophobia level. I didn't exactly follow the rules to the letter of the contest, nor did I make this level anywhere near the submission date. But here's what I've got. I think it came out pretty good.

Claustrophobia Skies
    AE21-0000-0077-5BD1

I like this level, it always lets you know what's coming, so even though you're sprinting through a lot of it you never feel like you're in danger of running full speed into some unexpected hazard.

Thanks for the input. I watched both of those Gamemaker Studios levels that someone posted a page or two back, and I feel like my own level design has improved substantially after watching those.

In the next few days I'm probably going to go back through and revise some of my older levels to make them less garbage.

Question -- If I revise and re-post a level, are my stars from the previous posting lost when I delete the old level? Or is there a more elegant way of re-posting revised levels beyond just deleting and uploading again?

Dirk2112
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    You keep the stars but lose all play history/comments made for that level. And you get a new code as well.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Hopefully a fun level, I've put more time into this one than any other that I've made thus far:

Bomb Diggitty!

hRdSMIM.jpg

94FE-0000-0077-7086

NH844lc.png | PSN | GACSALB.jpg My Blog |🏳️‍⚧️♥️
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2015
    YwcCyIn.png

Welcome to Iron Maker.

The rules are simple: you have 90 minutes to make a stage around a given theme. Submitting your entry is simple: just upload and post the stage's code within the 90 minutes, and make sure your post mentions being an Iron Maker submission. Levels will be judged based on quality of design, creativity, and use of theme. Only one submission per person.

This week's theme is...

AUTUMN

Submissions must be made by 6:35pm Eastern Time. You have 90 minutes starting...now.

BEGIN MAKING

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    Fleur de Alys
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    I made my first in a series of training levels to introduce new players to all the Mario game mechanics. First up is running!

SMB Training 1: Running

A6F7-0000-0077-CF07

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    to all the Nario game mechanics.
    Didn't take long for you to start leaking DLC.

YL9WnCY.png
    ecco the dolphinTDawg
  • OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    While I was playing random levels last night, I noticed somebody I didn't know had started playing through all of my levels back to back. I checked the person's uploads and saw that I'd been the only person to complete and star one of their stages, so I figured I'd give the rest of them a shot. For half an hour or so me and this person from the other side of the world were just trying out each other's creations, beating them and starring them side by side.

It was a really cool experience that I didn't anticipate coming out of this game, and one of the most fascinating 'multiplayer' moments I've ever had.

OneAngryPossum on
    ecco the dolphinMNC DoverpirateluigiFleur de AlysZilla360AbsoluteZeroRehabSuper NamicchiTDawgLucascraftDirk2112Gennenalyse RuebenNitsua
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    While I was playing random levels last night, I noticed somebody I didn't know had started playing through all of my levels back to back. I checked the person's uploads and saw that I'd been the only person to complete and star one of their stages, so I figured I'd give the rest of them a shot. For half an hour or so me and this person from the other side of the world were just trying out each other's creations, beating them and starring them side by side.

It was a really cool experience that I didn't anticipate coming out of this game, and one of the most fascinating 'multiplayer' moments I've ever had.

This is like a Mario Maker make-out session.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
    OneAngryPossumWarlock82Fleur de AlysZilla360AbsoluteZerogjaustinTDawgNitsua
  • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    YwcCyIn.png

Welcome to Iron Maker.

The rules are simple: you have 90 minutes to make a stage around a given theme. Submitting your entry is simple: just upload and post the stage's code within the 90 minutes, and make sure your post mentions being an Iron Maker submission. Levels will be judged based on quality of design, creativity, and use of theme. Only one submission per person.

This week's theme is...

AUTUMN

Submissions must be made by 6:35pm Eastern Time. You have 90 minutes starting...now.

BEGIN MAKING

The absolute least creative thing that can be done with this theme, but hey, it's all I had:

The leaves, they are a-fallin'

3C7A-0000-0077-DBAF

Maz- on
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
    pirateluigiFleur de AlysTayaRehab
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Figgy wrote: »

This is like a Mario Maker make-out session.

Super Mario Make-out, upcoming sequel to Super Mario Maker. Design Mario Dating Sim games!

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    Super Namicchi
  • pirateluigipirateluigi Arr, it be me. Registered User regular
    Alright, here's my thing for the thing.
    IM - The Pumpkin Patch 93F3-0000-0077-E6E3

http://www.danreviewstheworld.com
    Nintendo Network ID - PirateLuigi 3DS: 3136-6586-7691
    G&T Grass Type Pokemon Gym Leader, In-Game Name: Dan
    Fleur de AlysTayaRehab
  • Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    Who needs 90 minutes?

IM - Autumn Forest:

67BE-0000-0077-E6E7

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
    pirateluigiTaya
  • TayaTaya Registered User regular
    Iron Maker submission:

IM - Autumn Nature Walk
    63E4-0000-0077-EC17

Fleur de AlyspirateluigiZilla360
  • RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Iron Maker? Sure, why the hell not.

The Fallen Ones:
    6E9D-0000-0077-F637

NNID: Rehab0
    TayaFleur de Alyspirateluigi
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Iron Maker Submission

IM - Crunchy Leaves
    2E15-0000-0077-F62D
    k4dlkCZ.jpg?1

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
    Fleur de AlyspirateluigiZilla360
    Five minutes remain!

YL9WnCY.png
    Rehab wrote: »

The Fallen Ones:
    6E9D-0000-0077-F637
    Wow, I really liked this. I think it's your best course so far :)
    And the only one of yours I have been able to beat so far >_>

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    SUPER MARIO MAKER CHALLENGE #3!

This week's theme: I've been playing games a long time, but my favorite moment ever might still be the first time I saw Mario turn into a raccoon. Your levels for this week's challenge must feature the raccoon leaf in a meaningful way. And of course this means it has to be in the SMB3 theme.

Hey, why not. My submission: Bowser Jr. Hates Raccoons
    WVW69ibplmAvYjc117
    131E-0000-0077-FA11

Despite the leaf in coins and "FA11" coincidentally being in the code, this definitely isn't autumn-y enough to also enter in the Iron Maker challenge. Oh well.

pirateluigiFleur de Alys
    Did you all prefer 90 minutes or an hour?

YL9WnCY.png

90. It actually gave me some time to play test.

60. The feeling of impending clock made week one have this serious sense of urgency. 90 was almost relaxing by comparison.

Of course that might mean I should be making more elaborate / detailed courses :p But I rather like a contest where it's not making a stellar course so much as it is best use of time.

pirateluigi
    The Sauce wrote: »
    Rehab wrote: »

The Fallen Ones:
    6E9D-0000-0077-F637
    Wow, I really liked this. I think it's your best course so far :)
    And the only one of yours I have been able to beat so far >_>

I like how there is a nice mix of people doing levels that are all about atmosphere and aesthetics and also people submitting challenging trials here.

Also thanks! Usually I try for something that is simply hard and accidentally veer into "fuck off" hard territory. Like TDawg said earlier, your levels seem so simple to you when you know all the ins and outs.

Fleur de Alys
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Made my first real course as I'm unlocking stuff.

Simple Castle Crashing

8F54-0000-0078-2EEA

Now back to unlocking stuff.

The Sauce wrote: »
    60. The feeling of impending clock made week one have this serious sense of urgency. 90 was almost relaxing by comparison.

Of course that might mean I should be making more elaborate / detailed courses :p But I rather like a contest where it's not making a stellar course so much as it is best use of time.

Alright, that argument made me change my mind. My vote is now for 60.

Fleur de Alys
  • SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    I couldn't participate this week, but 60 min really did feel like the right amount of time to apply pressure for quick work

• Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular

I think 60 minutes is better (even though I cut it really close last week). 90 minutes didn't really feel like much of a "time trial", which I guess is the whole purpose of this thing.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Man, I finally saw my first Mario World castle ending to 100 Mario Challenge!

...It was an automatic level. At least it was kind of interesting.

Also Mario 3 style is hyper-rare in 100 Mario Challenge. :( It's probably my favorite style. You can do the most interesting things with it visually, you're not set in stone with "this is underground, see the parallax cave background?!" etc. And I like Mario's ability set in it. Can't spin or wall jump, but you can fly and break things with the raccoon tail, and can carry stuff. It's the right balance without feeling like there are a bunch of design gotchas to take into consideration.

Strangely enough, with Mario 3's rarity...it almost feels like when you encounter them, they're guaranteed to be a decent level, or at least to have some thought put into them. Like only people nostalgic for Mario 3 are making levels in that style, so they're older gamers who put more time into their creations. Or something. Really, whenever I come across one in the challenge it's not too bad compared to the rest.
    I've never liked the Mario 3 aesthetic. The sprites are ugly and the environment tiles don't have enough variation. I pretty much never use it unless the mechanics of the level demand it (like if I need both held shells and traditional bricks).

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Does anyone else like Mario 3 but hate All-Stars' Mario 3?

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
    GethKai_San
  • TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    Wyvern wrote: »

Also Mario 3 style is hyper-rare in 100 Mario Challenge. :( It's probably my favorite style. You can do the most interesting things with it visually, you're not set in stone with "this is underground, see the parallax cave background?!" etc. And I like Mario's ability set in it. Can't spin or wall jump, but you can fly and break things with the raccoon tail, and can carry stuff. It's the right balance without feeling like there are a bunch of design gotchas to take into consideration.

Strangely enough, with Mario 3's rarity...it almost feels like when you encounter them, they're guaranteed to be a decent level, or at least to have some thought put into them. Like only people nostalgic for Mario 3 are making levels in that style, so they're older gamers who put more time into their creations. Or something. Really, whenever I come across one in the challenge it's not too bad compared to the rest.
    I've never liked the Mario 3 aesthetic. The sprites are ugly and the environment tiles don't have enough variation. I pretty much never use it unless the mechanics of the level demand it (like if I need both held shells and traditional bricks).

I used to be in this boat, though I have warmed up to them during a more recent play-through.

I still think they are a weird middle ground between the more charmingly outdated yet undeniably iconic SMB style, and the more fully fleshed out and colorful SMW style, but I have come to appreciate it on its own merits.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
    Fully embraced the spirit of Super Mario Maker wishing me a HAPPY SUNDAY!
    vjy5cd6qun26.jpg

This one is difficult. Little aside, I got the idea for the tree design in my Iron Maker submission from working on this beforehand. There is now a story that has accidentally unfolded between the two.

Zilla360
  • KupiKupi Registered User regular
    SUPER MARIO MAKER CHALLENGE #3!

This week's theme provided and judged by pirateluigi!

Theme: Raccoon Mario!
    Restrictions: See below
    Level Types: SMB3 only!
    Contest date: 9/27-10/2 (Sun-Fri)
    Reward: Winner of this round chooses the next theme and winner!

Submissions:

Notes from pirateluigi:

This week's theme: I've been playing games a long time, but my favorite moment ever might still be the first time I saw Mario turn into a raccoon. Your levels for this week's challenge must feature the raccoon leaf in a meaningful way. And of course this means it has to be in the SMB3 theme.

Too slow for Iron Maker! Too fast for SMMC! It's Kupi's halfassed submission to the latter, because it wasn't done in time for the former!

I Pine For Autumn
    7017-0000-0078-9084

In this summer's top-grossing independent film out of the Mushroom Kingdom, an ailing Mario learns he has cancer on the coldest night of winter, with a prognosis of only one year to live. Will he survive to see his beloved favorite season, autumn, one more time, or will the startling revelation of Peach's infidelity put him in an early grave? Pathos! Drama! Bold examination of the question of what it really means to live! (None of it actually depicted in this level!) Buy your ticket now, before that bildungsroman about the Toad kid with the sick Chain Chomp comes out and steals all our attention!

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
    pirateluigi
    Soopa Koopa Troopa Loopa:

1297-0000-0078-C507

Pretty sure it can be sequence broken, but it would take more skill than just beating it normally.

Silly, easy course made to justify the name.

pirateluigi
  • ikillkennyikillkenny Registered User regular
    I tried making a contest level in the 30 minutes I had today to do it, but alas, wasn't able to get anything going. I'll be gone this week. I think there's a germ of an idea in something that involves knocking a bunch of turtle shells around underwater with the tail if anyone's looking for an inspiration.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    @Maz- One of your levels just randomly popped up on my level scroll. It was your brand new leaf level. I played it and starred it.

Maz-
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular

Even setting aside that Mario 3 is one of my favorite 2D Marios, I disagree about the sprites completely, I think they all look awesome. One of the epitomes of what you can do on the NES, on par with Kirby's Adventure.

But what I like so much about it in this game is what I've already demonstrated in my own levels. I couldn't have represented the kitchen as well as I did without the bizarre metal semisolid platforms. One of the early popular youtuber levels used them to make space ships, which go well with the "starry night" look of the underground. The airship "thick wood" gives a great look to the Midas exterior I made, and I've seen others use it to make really cool trees. I've seen the solid tan/white/blue semisolids used in tons of levels for all kinds of things, but primarily the interior walls of buildings, which I also used in my village. The overworld ground went perfectly with ice blocks to make buildings with windows that even have little windowsills. The cold look of the underground ground tiles and plant scenery goes perfect with ice blocks to make a frozen cave.

It's just abstract enough to lend itself to being used creatively. I don't know if any of the above would've worked very well in any other style. SMB1 offers good possibilities too, but then World and NSMB get so specific with the graphics that it's tough to build something other than what they intended you to build.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    Super NamicchiOneAngryPossumpirateluigiCantidoAndy Joe
    The lack of an enemy that cannot be jumped on and patrols is aggravating as fuck.

And no, stacking a spiny or spike top on a red koopa is not the same as jumping the right way will force the koopa in its shell.

YL9WnCY.png
    Back by popular demand: 8D21-0000-0078-DF22

If you thought the first was easy, then this should be slightly more difficult.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    super mario 3 is my favorite mario tileset followed by NSMBU for the advanced platforming mechanics (seriously, walljumping and the pirouette are fantastic for making hard jump levels) followed distantly by SMB Classic and then waaaay at the bottom Super Mario World

not because I don't love SMW, it's a spectacular game... but Mario Maker is missing so many unique Super Mario World things like the football players, the cape koopas, giant bullet bills, fuzzies, the weird ghosts with the long noses, the big green ghost house balls... slopes... the list goes on and on

Super Namicchi on
  • WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    edited September 2015

Even setting aside that Mario 3 is one of my favorite 2D Marios, I disagree about the sprites completely, I think they all look awesome. One of the epitomes of what you can do on the NES, on par with Kirby's Adventure.

But what I like so much about it in this game is what I've already demonstrated in my own levels. I couldn't have represented the kitchen as well as I did without the bizarre metal semisolid platforms. One of the early popular youtuber levels used them to make space ships, which go well with the "starry night" look of the underground. The airship "thick wood" gives a great look to the Midas exterior I made, and I've seen others use it to make really cool trees. I've seen the solid tan/white/blue semisolids used in tons of levels for all kinds of things, but primarily the interior walls of buildings, which I also used in my village. The overworld ground went perfectly with ice blocks to make buildings with windows that even have little windowsills. The cold look of the underground ground tiles and plant scenery goes perfect with ice blocks to make a frozen cave.

It's just abstract enough to lend itself to being used creatively. I don't know if any of the above would've worked very well in any other style. SMB1 offers good possibilities too, but then World and NSMB get so specific with the graphics that it's tough to build something other than what they intended you to build.
    Some of the sprites are TOO detailed, in an uncanny valley-esque sort of way. Like, Mario has a detailed shape, but it only serves to draw attention to the too-limited color palette, which makes it look really flat and bland. The fireballs are almost entirely black and white instead of being primarily red/yellow like they should be. They basically fucked themselves by committing to black outlines for everything; it means most of their sprites have to be done in two colors rather than three, and it shows big time. Goombas and Bloopers are shaped super weird for no reason.

It's funny you mentioned semisolid platforms, because those were the last straw for me. On the surface you have three recolored metal plates. On an airship you have a yellow crate, a yellow crate from a slight leftward angle, and a yellow crate from a slight rightward angle. I can't work with this! The cave platforms are only good in the rare case that you REALLY want to have a cave filled with weird arbitrary metal shit (there couldn't have been ONE option that looked like stone?).

Wyvern on
    Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    I wish I liked the NSMB tile set more, because I really enjoy what wall jumping brings to the table. Just have no desire to play with that aesthetic.