As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Super Mario Maker] Create your own Mario levels and share them with everyone!

• LucidLucid Registered User regular
    Wyvern wrote: »
    Some of the sprites are TOO detailed, in an uncanny valley-esque sort of way. Like, Mario has a detailed shape, but it only serves to draw attention to the too-limited color palette, which makes it look really flat and bland. The fireballs are almost entirely black and white instead of being primarily red/yellow like they should be. They basically fucked themselves by committing to black outlines for everything; it means most of their sprites have to be done in two colors rather than three, and it shows big time. Goombas and Bloopers are shaped super weird for no reason.

I love the color palette in SMB 3, the flatness is what makes it so great, very striking and vivid. This isn't a limitation, in my eyes. To say otherwise seems pointlessly negative.

Super NamicchiCantido
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    The lack of an enemy that cannot be jumped on and patrols is aggravating as fuck.

And no, stacking a spiny or spike top on a red koopa is not the same as jumping the right way will force the koopa in its shell.

Spiketops will patrol semisolid platforms.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    agoaj wrote: »
    The lack of an enemy that cannot be jumped on and patrols is aggravating as fuck.

And no, stacking a spiny or spike top on a red koopa is not the same as jumping the right way will force the koopa in its shell.

But other platforms they will travel underneath it, which doesn't work for my purposes. Also, they cannot fall out of pipes, as they just cling to it and start moving.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    I hate the way Mario walks and moves in NSMB. I like SMW because it was my first Mario game.

• Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    @Maz- One of your levels just randomly popped up on my level scroll. It was your brand new leaf level. I played it and starred it.

Thanks!

I've seen several of you guys' levels pop up there. Probably because I starred many of them and the game shows me more from those creators.

Also, I noticed that Tiny Huge World, my level with the highest completion rate, is getting a ton of plays, way more than my other levels. It probably has a high enough completion rate that it gets shuffled into the Easy 100 Mario challenge, which apparently gets played a lot more than the Normal one.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
    edited September 2015
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Igo1TH5r0yA
    Escape with your Dad:
    14C0-0000-005D-A3A7

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
    Maz-Jam WarriorZombie HeroZilla360AbsoluteZero
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    I'm all about SMW tiles, followed by SMB, then NSMB and then Mario 3. I never did play Mario 3 on release and I've only just recently picked it up on the Virtual Console. Maybe it's because I've come to it late but it doesn't feel as...pure as SMB and it doesn't have the charm of SMW. That's not to say I'm not enjoying it, but it's certainly not a favourite.

Also I'll agree with what a lot of people have said, I'm not fond of it visually.

::edit:: Also I missed the IM challenge as it was film night, maybe next week!

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    agoaj wrote: »

But other platforms they will travel underneath it, which doesn't work for my purposes. Also, they cannot fall out of pipes, as they just cling to it and start moving.

Do spiketops still travel underneath things when they have an enemy attached? Sometimes attaching things overrides default behavior like that.

I'm sure you tried everything and this might not fit your purposes either, but untethered chain chomps can be blocked into bouncing within a set area.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Been messing around with making "vehicles" and such ignore the Level preview it's a troll.

Manic Mines

(A374-0000-0079-B481)

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    edited September 2015
    Gathered some data about the level styles I played on the last 3 normal 100 Mario Challenge runs.

3U68HW5.jpg

I probably should've recorded other stuff too like whether I skipped the level, what setting it was, what the main concept was (amiibo costume, star run etc.) But anyway...it was interesting to see.

Been messing around with making "vehicles" and such ignore the Level preview it's a troll.

Manic Mines

(A374-0000-0079-B481)

This level is awesome! Really creative stuff in it! I like track contraptions a lot.

Shooting the giant bob-ombs with fireballs kind of screws up that section, I got myself killed. Also how could you have a mine without a single mole in it?!

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    I'm all about SMW tiles, followed by SMB, then NSMB and then Mario 3. I never did play Mario 3 on release and I've only just recently picked it up on the Virtual Console. Maybe it's because I've come to it late but it doesn't feel as...pure as SMB and it doesn't have the charm of SMW. That's not to say I'm not enjoying it, but it's certainly not a favourite.

Also I'll agree with what a lot of people have said, I'm not fond of it visually.

::edit:: Also I missed the IM challenge as it was film night, maybe next week!

Man, if anything isn't 'pure' Mario it's World. They fucked up the goombas! How simple an error can you get!? The SMB3 goombas may be freaky looking but at least they know what the deal is when you jump on them.

The whole 'Galoomba' retcon can't undo that basic cock up.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Yeah, World may not be as "pure" but I think it has a LOT more charm than 3 and I like the innovation more.

Also flying with feather > flying with leaf. Not a fan of hammering a button.

But this is sort of like arguing what cake I like best, each is pretty damn awesome.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
    AshtonDragon
  • Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    I think I will sit out this week's SMMC as it feels weird to have the person I just picked as the winner judging my course. I'll jump in on the next one and really look forward to playing everyone's submissions in the meantime!

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
    kYkfYXN.jpg

What the heck, was that really necessary? Some people...

I feel bad for his brother.

pirateluigiFleur de AlysMNC DoverTDawg
  • pirateluigipirateluigi Arr, it be me. Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    DVD's just upset since he knows he's a dead format.

EDIT: I think I need to play that level when I get home and give the kid a star and a nice comment.

pirateluigi on
    http://www.danreviewstheworld.com
    Nintendo Network ID - PirateLuigi 3DS: 3136-6586-7691
    G&T Grass Type Pokemon Gym Leader, In-Game Name: Dan
    Skull2185Zombie Hero
  • Dirk2112Dirk2112 Registered User regular
    Gathered some data about the level styles I played on the last 3 normal 100 Mario Challenge runs.

3U68HW5.jpg

New Mario has the best graphics and Mario 1 has the character change mushroom. To be honest I am surprised Mario 3 and Mario World get any attention from the unwashed masses.

NNID = Zepp914
    I blame a lot of it on not having them unlocked for what, 5 or 6 days?

I wonder what the distribution would look like if you started with 3 and World and not the others, or if you started with all of them.

TDawg
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I prefer Mario 1. The pure simplicity of it is a beautiful, wondrous thing.

• pirateluigipirateluigi Arr, it be me. Registered User regular
    I'm not a huge fan of NSMB aesthetics, but wall jumping and air stalling is a ton of fun and opens up a lot of advanced strat options that the other modes don't have.

http://www.danreviewstheworld.com
    Nintendo Network ID - PirateLuigi 3DS: 3136-6586-7691
    G&T Grass Type Pokemon Gym Leader, In-Game Name: Dan
    gjaustinSaraLuna
  • Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    I should do more NSMB levels. I feel like I try to restrict the player too much to go though what i designed, and maybe doing more open ended levels will recharge my creativity, since im sort of in a rut now.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Huh, just played a level in the 100 Mario challenge that required you to use the invincibility glitch.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

Manic Mines

(A374-0000-0079-B481)

This level is awesome! Really creative stuff in it! I like track contraptions a lot.

Shooting the giant bob-ombs with fireballs kind of screws up that section, I got myself killed. Also how could you have a mine without a single mole in it?!

Yeah there's no elegant solution for the bomb pit. I may ditch it in a version2.
    Moles are really annoying in tight spaces If I revise this though I may go back and put some in the areas of the mine that aren't fully excavated and more open.
    I'm gonna try to do a stage coach robbery/chase stage next.

Oh fun fact you can make giant enemies bigger but they hork up the super mushroom. So the capability to have mega sized baddies is available but locked out for some reason

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    kYkfYXN.jpg

What the heck, was that really necessary? Some people...

I feel bad for his brother.

Eh this is terrible, but first rule of teaching a kid about the internet is that it DOES have terrible, goosetastic people on it. Learning how to properly handle (as in, ignore) these people is pretty much step 1 toward being able to do anything online.

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Also I feel like Nintendo has strict enough rules that you can probably report this guy for being a jerk and get his message deleted at least, should you want

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    Kai_San
    edited September 2015
    Oh fun fact you can make giant enemies bigger but they hork up the super mushroom. So the capability to have mega sized baddies is available but locked out for some reason

Oh yeah I saw that, I think it's one of those just for fun/weird things.

EDIT: Wow, this gif. It's F142-0000-0078-0642 if you're masochistic.

UncleSporky on
    Sonic Dreams Collection let's you make them as big as you want.
    Get with the times Nintendo

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
    Geth
  • BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular

How do you get different colored mushroom platforms?

• Dirk2112Dirk2112 Registered User regular

You shake them. You can have green, red, and yellow.

NNID = Zepp914
    Fleur de Alys

There are three in each tileset (shake the platform to cycle between). The bottom one there isn't a mushroom platform (I think it's a semisolid).

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    I wish that SMB3 was the SNES version from All-stars. So much cleaner looking.

AbsoluteZeroNitsua
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    @MNC Dover

Can I get on the OP makers list please?

0560-000-0047-C6F7 Shroom Bopper Reflexes seems to be my most popular level, probably because it's a no danger test of timing and skill so has a V high completion rate and ends up in the Easy 100 Mario mode.

I also have a gimmick Magikoopa fight:
    FEDB-0000-005E-1DFB

'Room Escape' which is a nice concept I'm sure I can improve on:
    F357-0000-005D-EDAE

And a quick normal level 'Tingle's Treasure Hunt'
    AF76-0000-004B-CC2A

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular

I certainly do not think this is the case. The All Stars styles were so boring and really deleted a lot of the charm that was present for what was a much more generic graphical style.

Xavier1216
  • TayaTaya Registered User regular
    Mario 3 is my favourite style. The music, the cyan sky, the sprites; It makes me happy.

I've yet to create a single NSMB U stage. That style is fun with the propeller shroom and Mario's athletics but it's just a bore to look at. In the other styles you can create fun things like trains and pumpkins and stovetops and courtrooms but NSMB U is always just going to be Mario played straight. There's nothing wrong with that or anything; it's fun to play. But I prefer the look of the simpler games especially Mario 3.

Foolish Chaos
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular

I wish the opposite of this

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Hmm

smb33.png
    super-mario-all-stars-wii-4.jpg

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
    Warlock82 wrote: »

I wish the opposite of this
    I have some good news for you
    Taya wrote: »
    Mario 3 is my favourite style. The music, the cyan sky, the sprites; It makes me happy.

I've yet to create a single NSMB U stage. That style is fun with the propeller shroom and Mario's athletics but it's just a bore to look at. In the other styles you can create fun things like trains and pumpkins and stovetops and courtrooms but NSMB U is always just going to be Mario played straight. There's nothing wrong with that or anything; it's fun to play. But I prefer the look of the simpler games especially Mario 3.
    Mario looks appropriately chubby when swimming in Mario 3. I always liked that look. It has the best bricks, too (which Sporky took great advantage of in his Midas Temple course).

I really like NSMBU's cave setting. The colored stone semisolid platforms are bright and pretty; the whole environment pops. I've also enjoyed some of the garden & jungle themed stuff in NSMBU's standard outside setting, though that's something that can be done fairly well in the other ones too.

Mario 1 has the best ghost house, which is a crazy thing to utter.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    YwcCyIn.png
    Theme: Autumn

Note: please do not post any images associated with your stage. I try to go in as blind as possible and avoid looking at the map before diving in. Week One will have its winner announced tomorrow.

The Leaves, They Are A-Fallin' by @Maz-
    3C7A-0000-0077-DBAF

I liked that you can actually fly over the first gap if you time it right. The fish were a nice way for skilled players to recover. Rail part seemed like a weird departure from the start of the level. Nice use of falling leaves, although timing on the rail part made them impossible for me to grab.

The Pumpkin Patch by @pirateluigi
    93F3-0000-0077-E6E3

Incredibly well-done given the art on display and the mild puzzle element. I think for a lot of people the P-Block's use would be overly hard to figure out, but in the time allotted it seems fine. Incredible use of theme.

Autumn Forest by @The Sauce
    67BE-0000-0077-E6E7

I liked how you used the mushrooms to mimic trees, which makes the theme much stronger. I really liked the transition into winter at the end, that was very creative! Very strong use of color throughout.

Autumn Nature Walk by @Taya
    63E4-0000-0077-EC17

I really like the level design. Good secrets (I found the one-ups and found the warp pipe both with and without flying). I question the loose fire flowers as they send mixed signals to the player (my first thought was to avoid the leaves). Theme is not particularly strong here, but I feel that is compensated by the very strong and Mario-esque design.

The Fallen Ones by @Rehab
    6E9D-0000-0077-F637

This one felt all over the place. Unless I missed something, the theme seemed lacking except for some early leaves, and the level design is all over the place with some awkward jumps and platform placement. I feel you have some potential for more challenging platform, such as managing the bone rides towards the end, but you need to tighten up the general design first. Again, I apologize if I am missing something here, but if you had a greater vision for the level then I must have missed the forest for the trees.

Crunchy Leaves by @agoaj
    2E15-0000-0077-F62D

First stage to use pipes as a way of achieving perpetual leaf fall! I love the P-Block puzzle here, although I think the Kuribo's Shoe is unnecessary and makes everything a bit confused since you can't pick up stuff while in it. I did enjoy the easter egg(?) for those who bypass the puzzle by flying.

And the winner is...
    The Pumpkin Patch by @pirateluigi
    93F3-0000-0077-E6E3

It's hard not to like this level. It found a way to pull off the theme in a way that was surprising elaborate given the time constraints, while also being an enjoyable level in its own right. Not every note is perfect (the wiggler section seems extraneous and devoid of any real point) but I feel this level would not have won me over if it was just an art tour and not the more tangible product that it became. Of the courses submitted, this was one of I believe only two that avoided the obvious Super Leaf route, and while I'm not always going to pick the special snowflake, it did leave an impression on me. Of course, execution is also important, and the fact that Mario is inside a pumpkin AND this is made evident without looking at the stage map is what I consider solid execution of an idea.

Runner-Up: Autumn Nature Walk by @Taya

This is a hard choice between this and Sauce's Autumn Forest, but I feel in the end I enjoyed the very solid stage design here more than the very solid execution of theme in Sauce's stage. The secrets are plentiful, and give that sort of playground feel I enjoy in Mario games, and I probably spent more in Taya's level than any other just to see what was possible.

YL9WnCY.png
    Fleur de AlysZilla360pirateluigiagoajAndy Joe
    Congrats and well-deserved!

Regarding Rehab's course:
    Did you notice that the platforms were arranged to make trees that were devoid of leaves? Maybe more of a winter thing, but it might explain the awkward placements you ran into.

• DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I'm gonna have to go through this thread to find some good levels. Seems like all the highest rated levels online are auto-playing garbage.

Xavier1216
  • TayaTaya Registered User regular
    Hooray! I'll happily accept runner-up.

I really liked The Pumpkin Patch level too. It didn't go for the obvious falling leaves thing that everyone else, including me, went for and it was nice and puzzly.

Fleur de Alys