As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hearthstone] DEATHRATTLE: POST IN NEW THREAD!

• MadPenMadPen San DiegoRegistered User regular
    MMMig wrote: »
    So fell reaver doesn't keep drawing past fatigue. Once they're out of cards it stops triggering.

Booooooooo!!!!

That...does not match my recollection...you sure? I guess my recollection is hazy, but I could swear...

3DS: 4098-4243-6127
  • MMMigMMMig Registered User regular

Just lost to an aggro mech warrior where I played 3 cards to his reaver after he was out of cards and nothing triggered.

Two turns in a row.

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Yeah, it doesn't trigger. I forget the reason Blizzard gave, though IIRC, coldlight will trigger fatigue, yes?

I guess this is because coldlight is draw vs. fel reaver is discard. So, I guess the difference is that (while the result is that you have less cards in your deck) fatigue only kicks in if you keep the card?

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    You all are so behind the times, Fel Reaver not triggering 3 fatigues is the whole reason it's playable. Discard =/= draw.

• TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    Makes logical sense. The mechanism is "discard", so if you don't have any cards to discard nothing happens.

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    You all are so behind the times, Fel Reaver not triggering 3 fatigues is the whole reason it's playable. Discard =/= draw.

...no? Pretty sure that's not the case.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    ....no one's playing the second wing? Still fun stuff so far. And I accidentally found a way to win quickly against the third fight:
    Pick warrior. Load up on Whirlwind-style effects. Play a Frothing Berserker or two. Whirlwind away when there's like eight statues on the board. Profit.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »

It would be substantially worse if you could actually use it to mill someone to death, rather than just clearing their deck.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Also a good counter to mill decks is aggressive midrange decks like Mech Mage or Tempo Mage.

3clipse wrote: »

It would be substantially worse if you could actually use it to mill someone to death, rather than just clearing their deck.

I guess, yeah, but if you've let them mill your deck away you're already in a pretty bad spot. The main benefit of Fel Reaver is that you can end games/get the value out of it before you actually burn through your deck, therefore it doesn't matter.

I thought. I don't actually use it.

Steam profile
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular

I guess, yeah, but if you've let them mill your deck away you're already in a pretty bad spot. The main benefit of Fel Reaver is that you can end games/get the value out of it before you actually burn through your deck, therefore it doesn't matter.

Considering it doesn't have charge they're going to have a minimum one turn to mill you as hard as they can, which they generally will do regardless if they can kill it or not. Two turns of a fel reaver being up will reliably burn out your deck against someone trying to do that, and depending on the class (cheap cards + draw, so rogue, paladin and priest) that second turn can be ham enough to outright kill you with fatigue. Especially considering you only got one attack off with the fel reaver, so it's not even likely to kill them in that space.

basically you need two swings with Fel Reaver to win without a deck, and it causing fatigue damage could kill you before you get that second attack.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Fun encounters this week!

No wait, lemme rephrase that. Fun Non-Minecart Encounters this week. Minecart is awful.

Anyway, spoilers for Heroic Strats belowwww:
    Heroic Scarvash: Used a Control Shaman deck.
    UEFw0oY.png?1CUMuQ8VW4AE815u.png:large
    Key to that match is dropping Zombie Chow on Turn 2 (and trade into his 3/5) and using Elemental Destruction on Turn 3. That clears his initial aggression. After that I got lucky, had Sylvanas plus Ancestral Spirit and two Reincarnates. Took his whole board. Pretty solid though, there's other ways to win as well. I found this deck on HearthPwn but it's actually legit good.

Heroic Mine Cart: Lol, what strategy? No but really, you're at the whims of RNG. Keep at it til you win.

Heroic Archaedas: MinionBuffZoo-y Warlock deck.
    jPPOW0t.png?1CUMqiqqWoAAgVjB.png:large
    I didn't realize his Statues were 0/5 on Heroic, so Demonwrath was actually useless. Can sub those out for Crazed Alchemists or whatever else, really. Similarly, Bane of Doom might not be great either? Not sure, never drew it.

Mukla and Enhance-o are definitely MVPs though. I got inspiration for this strat from the Class Challenge. Turns out they were onto something, eh?

Yeah though, quite liked this week's stuff.

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I really want bolster to be a thing

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Time for the biennial "let's make beast druid a thing" drive

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Variable wrote: »

maybe they'll introduce a card with the old sunfury protector/fade effect? that would go a long way to making bolster usable

(ie "give all your [other] minions taunt")

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    Also a good counter to mill decks is aggressive midrange decks like Mech Mage or Tempo Mage.

Yeah, Midrange druid just wrecks mill rogue.

edited November 2015

You're not necessarily in a bad spot if they burn your deck, you still have the cards in your hand. No deck could afford the risk of just dying if your opponent then plays 3 cards.

Coinage on
    Am I mistaken, or does Ethereal Conjurer seem like an auto-include in pretty much every Mage deck (except maybe Mech Mage I guess)?

TheCanMan wrote: »
    Am I mistaken, or does Ethereal Conjurer seem like an auto-include in pretty much every Mage deck (except maybe Mech Mage I guess)?

Possibly more aggro versions of tempo, but a 5 mana 6/3 is painful to play. Justicar is the worst body that sees play in constructed right now because she has a game-breaking battlecry; the Conjurer's isn't nearly so powerful. However, putting 6 attack on the field while having a very good chance to magically have more burn in hand does fit well into an aggro deck.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Deathrattle Rogue amuses me. Mostly because there are so many two drops on which slapping their deathrattle onto my 3 mana 3/4 I'm totally happy with.

Make 2 1/1s? Draw a card? Make a 4/4? Gimme.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
    6/3 seems to be the statline Blizzard goes for when they're afraid a card might actually be good (Cobalt Guardian/Ethereal Conjurer/Hemet), they just accidentally made Justicar good because they underestimated residentsleeper decks.

• YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Grobian wrote: »
    I am gonna face hunter so hard if I get milled to death even once I swear

I played a bit of mill rogue in preparation for Brann and face hunter isn't too bad a matchup.

noooooooooooooooooooooooooo

They can use their replay cards (Shadowstep/Vanish/Gang Up) to play like 10+ Antique Healbots.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Man, why couldn't Bran work off Combo.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
    Aegis wrote: »
    Man, why couldn't Bran work off Combo.

Also Choose One.

Though maybe that was a deliberate design choice to make Joust a battlecry and not just its own keyword? And to make it Battlecry: Discover instead of merely Discover?

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • webberwebber Registered User regular
    Playing a Shaman battlecry deck. Got the Brann and Bomb Lobber to happen once, so I may retire the deck now.

Brann and Jeweled Scarab is a pretty sweet combo too.

This lucky penny is bullshit.
    Hearthstone - Webber #1330
    3DS: 0920-3235-4071
  • jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    Had a pretty satisfying brawl game on my main account that turned into me as attrition priest vs. an aggressive midrange paladin more or less. Won with Justicar and Paletress and by being super valuemaster with all my minions. Got two epics in the brawl pack.

Then I brawled as druid on my NA account and won mostly due to a timely Malygos that my mage opponent couldn't kill so he ended up conceding with like 18 life left. Got Malygos in the pac, whee!

Best brawl ever tbh.

• GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Side note - Brann does not work with Stampeding Kodo, or at least does not work with Kodo the way you'd think he would.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    Side note - Brann does not work with Stampeding Kodo, or at least does not work with Kodo the way you'd think he would.

Does he destroy the same minion twice?!

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    Yay heroics complete
    Scarvash: Handlock
    Archaedas: Zoolock
    fun wing. Gonna have to play more arena, I'm almost out of gold!

http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights

We knew bgh works like that, but I would think kodo would check twice since it's random. Blizzard pls.

I really like the second battle in this wing.

Steam profile
    Man, I've been having alot of fun playing the Combo Priest deck I've patched together (no Inner Fire, so it's missing a big part of the "combo"). But Mind Control is such a dick card. I feel bad every single time I play it.

TheCanMan wrote: »
    Man, I've been having alot of fun playing the Combo Priest deck I've patched together (no Inner Fire, so it's missing a big part of the "combo"). But Mind Control is such a dick card. I feel bad every single time I play it.

As you should, yes :P

Steam profile
    edited November 2015

I've tried really hard. The best I've come up with ends up playing like a fatigue warrior, but not as good. It absolutely crushes face hunter, though. 100% win rate. From my experience, you're either building your deck around 2 cards that aren't that good, OR you're lucky to play bolster on 2 taunts. Which...is not a bad deal, but it's no quartermaster.

I still think it's doable. Basically you run the great taunts, the cards that grant taunt to adjacent minions and bolster. Then you run high-value expensive cards, relying on the taunts and bolster to keep you alive to the long game. All the high-value minions win you the long game.

In theory...in reality, you get absolutely crushed mid-game by control decks with good curves because too many of your trades suck, and you get destroyed by fatigue or mill decks, because it just takes way too long to ramp up damage output. Fixable? Maybe.

edit: I think the thing I missed is that fatigue and mill decks have LOTS of answers, and the only way to get them to run out is constant pressure so that they end up using them suboptimally. That is this deck's weakness. There is no pressure. When you play Ysera, they will still have their owl, because Sap was the answer to your 5/7 Sludge Belcher.

MadPen on
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Shaman deck vs h scarvash is not working for me at all. Guess I'll try handlock

So It Goes on
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular

I'm not sure if kodo targets the same minion twice, or if the first minion targeted is not technically dead until after the resolution of both battlecries.

I think it might be the latter because I think Battlecries precede a change in the board state in the Hearthstone order of operations.

Either way it's kind of bollocks because I thought that'd be pretty strong but now I'm not sure.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
    I made an aggro bolster warrior. I went 2-2 at rank 17 and retired it while I was still even.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    I made an aggro bolster warrior. I went 2-2 at rank 17 and retired it while I was still even.

Aggro bolster? Like...3/1s behind taunts, or what?

MadPen wrote: »

Low-drop taunts getting hit with bolster early for explosive starts. Some leper gnomes and weapons to hit the face. Think of it like token druid, except instead of tokens into PotW it's Tournament Attendee, Goldshire Footman and Annoy-o-tron with Bolster.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    MadPen wrote: »

Low-drop taunts getting hit with bolster early for explosive starts. Some leper gnomes and weapons to hit the face. Think of it like token druid, except instead of tokens into PotW it's Tournament Attendee, Goldshire Footman and Annoy-o-tron with Bolster.

Well, it sounds like that worked better for you than my face priest.