Options

[Tony Hawk Pro Skater 5] A Dumpster Fire on Wheels

2»

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Let's not pretend like Neversoft had consistently good quality through their Tony Hawk run.
    They didn't, but they did create the Tony Hawk games that were good. This new group ? What do they have on their track record that suggests they can do justice to, say, TH3? I'm not saying that Neversoft would've been a magic bullet, but there was literally nothing to suggest that this resurrection of the series would be worthwhile, whereas there were several warning signs.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Thirith wrote: »
    Let's not pretend like Neversoft had consistently good quality through their Tony Hawk run.
    They didn't, but they did create the Tony Hawk games that were good. This new group ? What do they have on their track record that suggests they can do justice to, say, TH3? I'm not saying that Neversoft would've been a magic bullet, but there was literally nothing to suggest that this resurrection of the series would be worthwhile, whereas there were several warning signs.

Agreed. Honestly I was expecting this game to come out and get ok reviews but have the longer term fans talk about how the physics were off, much like Tony Hawk HD. Instead we got a complete train wreck.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I played the majority of my Tony Hawk time on the original Xbox but I think the Duel Shock was better suited for the game.

The Xbox was still a great system though. Kind of strange that I've focused on Sony consoles since.

The X-Box versions had the benefit of looking prettier (and some supported 720p) and supporting custom soundtracks if you want to skate to your own jams, and it also had that most excellent port of THPS2 that also included all of the levels from THPS, but I also prefer the Dual Shock. The franchise has always been associated in my mind with Sony consoles. It's pretty sad that the stellar soundtracks from the older THPS games are the reason that they will never be released on the PSN or XBL.

If anyone hasn't had the chance to check out the GBA THPS games, they're surprisingly solid. Only having two face buttons is rough (Nintendo is stupid for releasing a handheld powerful enough for SNES ports but with considerably fewer buttons), but the gameplay translates extremely well to the overhead isometric view that they use. Definitely worth it if you see one of them at a game shop or yard sale for a few bucks. Speaking of portables, THUG 2 Remix was one of the games I bought when I got my PSP at launch, and it blew my mind that I was playing a PS2 game on a portable.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    The pro skater games on xbox and ps2 are pretty cheap though, even on ebay. They usually go for less than 10 bucks, so at least we can go back and play those and enjoy them rather than dwell on this joke of a game.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Man, I remember playing THPS3 but I can't for the life of me remember anything about THPS4.

Pro skater 3 wad alright. It invented the revert into the manual. Maps were bad though. Pro skater 4 was a huge improvement.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    The majority of my playtime in THPS3 was in the PS1 version, which was basically THPS2 but with different levels. I liked the Foundry and Suburbs levels a lot though.

The PS1 port of THPS 4 was a pretty spectacular piece of work. They were able to work around the limitations of the hardware pretty well, all things considered. I still remember that the review I read for it in some magazine (it might have been OPM) was basically "If you're still stuck with just a PS1, what else are you going to buy?".

• Options
    I had no idea that they made THPS 4 for the PS1. Just looked up some videos, that is really crazy.

http://youtu.be/AdIk22bRF4A

I also completely forgot about Tony Hawk 2x. That makes me want to dig my Xbox out of storage.

http://youtu.be/adBTAen2fJs

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    JebusUD wrote: »
    Man, I remember playing THPS3 but I can't for the life of me remember anything about THPS4.

Pro skater 3 wad alright. It invented the revert into the manual. Maps were bad though. Pro skater 4 was a huge improvement.

What?! Cruise ship and Airport for life.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    JebusUD wrote: »

What?! Cruise ship and Airport for life.

Alcatraz, the carnival, the zoo, university. All were great maps on THPS4.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I remember enjoying Misty Flipping over the raised drawbridges in one of the games. I think it was a THUG.

I'm half tempted to pick up THPS HD on Steam just cause of all the THPS5 talk, even though HD was also lambasted.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Wish GOG had the PC versions of the old games.

Edit: Tony Hawk Underground had one of the best soundtracks in gaming history. It's so massive, 78 songs, I used to just zone out and listen to it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Hawk's_Underground#Soundtrack

Uselesswarrior on
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    it's a shame music licensing for rereleases is such a nightmare, it'd be great to have those games playable without busting out super old consoles.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    If you can get a copy of THPS 2 for PC and get it going it is fucking fantastic. There are fan mods that add the levels from a bunch of different Tony Hawk games and other fan made goodies. It's basically arcade skateboarding heaven.

wWuzwvJ.png