As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Heroes of the Storm] New heroes! Mode! Maps! Ruin friendships with Cho'gall!

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    (also, I really am mostly kidding about drunk playing; I usually play in the morning anyway due to my work schedule, so being drunk would be really silly)

while I'm in no way saying it's something people should do (just because you should do what you want) I really don't think it's something to apologize for. you're relaxing while playing a fun game? well I never!

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Tass works really well with Morales too. I played a game the other night with me on Morales and a rando on Tass. He was really good and he concentrated on keeping me alive and doing DPS, while I concentrated on keeping everyone else alive.

Since Morales is super weak to dive heroes and has literally zero escapes, having a pocket Tassadar for shields and a Force Wall to help keep persistent chasers off of her is pretty huge.

In that specific match we were against an enemy Kerrigan, and she would dive me, then I would bounce her away with my grenade, and then Tassadar would throw down the wall between me and Kerrigan, which basically forced a disengage and gave me time to safely reposition.

What was the rest of that comp? My first thought is that you would never actually take anyone down since you are down on dps.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    That comp would only work if you had some super high, consistent damage character that is able to do tons of damage if they are able to stick to people like glue because they are unkillable. Like Illidan comes to mind - with follow through and giant killer Illidan will quickly and consistently drop health bars. So if you can keep a heal beam and constant shields on him, along with the tons of other defensive talents he can still take, that could work. To a lesser extent Kael as well. You NEED a perfect warrior frontline though. Pretty much two warriors with tons of hard control to keep people off Morales (tass is immortal so he is fine). Oh and your godlike DPS has to be an excellent player because they ARE the entire teamfight. They make one bad decision and you basically have to walk away.

In fact, I just wonder what it would be like to have that setup as Illidan. Drop into Meta, get a Stim, and just go the fuck to town. In fact, that would go excellent with ETC as his constant disruption plus the attack speed buff would layer into that even harder. Then I dunno, a higher damage warrior like Leo or something to add into that and welp, melttown USA.

Kai_San on
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Kai_San wrote: »
    That comp would only work if you had some super high, consistent damage character that is able to do tons of damage if they are able to stick to people like glue because they are unkillable. Like Illidan comes to mind - with follow through and giant killer Illidan will quickly and consistently drop health bars. So if you can keep a heal beam and constant shields on him, along with the tons of other defensive talents he can still take, that could work. To a lesser extent Kael as well. You NEED a perfect warrior frontline though. Pretty much two warriors with tons of hard control to keep people off Morales (tass is immortal so he is fine). Oh and your godlike DPS has to be an excellent player because they ARE the entire teamfight. They make one bad decision and you basically have to walk away.

In fact, I just wonder what it would be like to have that setup as Illidan. Drop into Meta, get a Stim, and just go the fuck to town. In fact, that would go excellent with ETC as his constant disruption plus the attack speed buff would layer into that even harder. Then I dunno, a higher damage warrior like Leo or something to add into that and welp, melttown USA.

Raynor would do it better. I'd want something like Sonya Raynor Leo/Muradin for that comp.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    SupagoatSupagoat Registered User regular
    Interesting. What was the rest of your team there? I guess if you had like an invincible raynor that could work super well.

Morales seems to be either super strong or completely worthless. I think it's a combination of team comp and player skill.

bnet: Supagoat#1884
    Switch: 6589-6405-3399
  • Options
    Raynor can't chase. That is the key - your burst damage is non existant because you are relying on one person. Raynor does the same amount of damage but if someone walks away he is fairly neutered. The point of Illidan is he will finish the job. I picture with Raynor when they get low they walk away into the back, get healed, and come back. That doesn't occur with Illidan.

Sonya would increase your damage but you can really only drop the infiniate survival on one person, and she isn't the most survivable solo. Also she brings zero CC. Muradin would go well with ETC though because stuns for days and he does solid damage too. The main goal is to have 2 difficult to kill dudes protecting your 2 supports protecting a cold hearted killer.

• Options
    Raynor can't chase. That is the key - your burst damage is non existant because you are relying on one person. Raynor does the same amount of damage but if someone walks away he is fairly neutered. The point of Illidan is he will finish the job. I picture with Raynor when they get low they walk away into the back, get healed, and come back. That doesn't occur with Illidan.

Sonya would increase your damage but you can really only drop the infiniate survival on one person, and she isn't the most survivable solo. Also she brings zero CC. Muradin would go well with ETC though because stuns for days and he does solid damage too. The main goal is to have 2 difficult to kill dudes protecting your 2 supports protecting a cold hearted killer.

I guess. imo Sonya does such monstrous damage she doesn't need to chase. Spear Slam Auto is danger territory for half the roster, and she can bully whatever tank you're facing. Muradin to provide cc and slow support for her means people are going to die. Raynor also can moderately chase with revolution overdrive, he'll usually get 20-30% move speed, and post 16 he has a 1.5 second stun which is death. Illidan on that team would just die to CC because Morales doesn't combo well with him at all. And if she tried to save him, now she's dying.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Rexxar is free this week. He's a lot harder to control than I expected.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Erm, its a direct replay feed, it wasn't even really 'made'. I would supposed they did not want to waste any time editing.

The Reddit post had a link to the replay itself.

You can basically see the dude making sure no one even has vision on him sometimes when hes doing things. Except for dropping the core.

I mean just, clearly some prep work went into this because he had to get the script ready, etc. So there was probably some intent to share this game from the onset. What I meant, then, was not that the editing was bad or anything, but that the game itself wasn't played in a way to show off what was happening well.

It paused every time Tass attacked. Tass sits there for a while in the beginning and several times in the middle of the video. He dies instead of attacking any of the heroes even once to showcase that aspect, then the game just plays normal speed until he revives.

Just stuff like that. This is a really interesting bug (good on them for finding it), but it seems like no effort went into showcasing it. Not a big deal, was just a comment :)

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    InqInq Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    kime wrote: »
    Erm, its a direct replay feed, it wasn't even really 'made'. I would supposed they did not want to waste any time editing.

You can basically see the dude making sure no one even has vision on him sometimes when hes doing things. Except for dropping the core.

I mean just, clearly some prep work went into this because he had to get the script ready, etc. So there was probably some intent to share this game from the onset. What I meant, then, was not that the editing was bad or anything, but that the game itself wasn't played in a way to show off what was happening well.

It paused every time Tass attacked. Tass sits there for a while in the beginning and several times in the middle of the video. He dies instead of attacking any of the heroes even once to showcase that aspect, then the game just plays normal speed until he revives.

Just stuff like that. This is a really interesting bug (good on them for finding it), but it seems like no effort went into showcasing it. Not a big deal, was just a comment :)

I'm pretty sure the "pauses" were in the original game. It looks like game lag caused by the script sending hundreds of actions per second. I also wonder if there's an issue with using it on moving targets like the heroes.

Inq on
  • Options
    Inq wrote: »

I'm pretty sure the "pauses" were in the original game. It looks like game lag caused by the script sending hundreds of actions per second. I also wonder if there's an issue with using it on moving targets like the heroes.

Ah, that makes sense. He used it on minions, but I think they may have been stationary when he did so...

Steam profile
  • Options
    He was trying to hide what he was doing. The pause early was waiting for people to move off of things. Notice how when he goes to take that first camp he not only waits for his team to leave, but makes sure to clear out the enemy teams minions before doing it so they have no idea how long he is in there. He doesn't attack the enemy heroes because that would kind of be 100% obvious what is going on.

I am pretty sure this guy isn't showcasing the bug, its someone who was in the match that went back and checked the replay after the core went 100% to 0% and they finally noticed something was wrong.

Oh and the pause? You umm... really can't figure out what is going on there? The game kind of cant handle what is probably hundreds of inputs being thrown at it as well as the number of auto attacks going on being well out of the bounds of what the game is meant to handle. Its a soft lock likely due to the strain on the client AND the network.

• Options
    He was trying to hide what he was doing. The pause early was waiting for people to move off of things. Notice how when he goes to take that first camp he not only waits for his team to leave, but makes sure to clear out the enemy teams minions before doing it so they have no idea how long he is in there. He doesn't attack the enemy heroes because that would kind of be 100% obvious what is going on.

I am pretty sure this guy isn't showcasing the bug, its someone who was in the match that went back and checked the replay after the core went 100% to 0% and they finally noticed something was wrong.

I assumed the guy doing the bug posted the video based on how it was introduced. Oops!
    Oh and the pause? You umm... really can't figure out what is going on there? The game kind of cant handle what is probably hundreds of inputs being thrown at it as well as the number of auto attacks going on being well out of the bounds of what the game is meant to handle. Its a soft lock likely due to the strain on the client AND the network.

I mean.... normally a large tech company would have basic, basic safeguards in place to prevent things like that from happening. Someone writing a script to give inputs to your game shouldn't freeze it up for everyone until the script is done. That's fairly fundamental. But hey, it's Blizzard, so who knows!

Steam profile
  • Options
    Variable wrote: »
    while I'm in no way saying it's something people should do (just because you should do what you want) I really don't think it's something to apologize for. you're relaxing while playing a fun game? well I never!

Playing drunk and playing after having a drink are two very different things. If you want to get drunk and play a single player game, knock yourself out. If you want to ruin other people's experience in a multiplayer team game because you thought it'd be funny to get shitfaced and act like a moron, that's not so cool.

Sure, playing with a beer is fine.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    It was only one game but I like the new tassadar. I think he may legitimately be able to solo "heal", but I want a few more games to be sure. Felt more impactful trying out forcewall than I ever did with archon. Unfortunately if he still is undertuned compared to other supports he will likely still be relegated to the "never used" pile since he has basically zero offensive output.

I think his base kit needs a bit of love on the offensive side. Not alot, but enough that he feels like he can smack a few people around. A buff to PsiStorm or something.

• Options

I assumed the guy doing the bug posted the video based on how it was introduced. Oops!

I mean.... normally a large tech company would have basic, basic safeguards in place to prevent things like that from happening. Someone writing a script to give inputs to your game shouldn't freeze it up for everyone until the script is done. That's fairly fundamental. But hey, it's Blizzard, so who knows!

I'm pretty sure it's not freezing it up for everyone. It looks like a graphical glitch as the game tries to draw Tassadar's attack beam like 100x in a second.

• Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    Storm used to be a lot stronger, but right now seems more like a tickle. Maybe have Oracle apply a vunerability debuff? Would probably have to only affect psi-storm or tassadar and not the whole team.

• Options
    It boggles my mind that there isn't some type of server-side throttling on inputs that would make that Tassadar thing not work.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular

Yeah but it's not that simple, especially for a game like HotS where, even at "casual Blizzard player speed", high-sensitivity to inputs is incredibly important (you aren't spamming thousands of keys per second, but you want the system to be able to detect inputs down to as minute a level as possible). So at some level you have to allow the system to accept those inputs before determining their validity, and more importantly you have to allow the player to send that through in the first place. This is likely what is causing the strain on the client side (constantly attempting to send data to the server and receiving some sort of confirmation). Whether or not that impacts all the other users is an open question (likely not, because all they are receiving are the signals that have passed validation, not that one guy's constant spamming).

They are likely erring on the side of user experience here, because there can be a variety of valid reasons why someone might be sending through so many commands at once. Especially if your architecture can handle it and it isn't a negative impact on all the other users. At that point you can just review the actual game to see what is happening and make a judgment on whether or not the player is actually cheating, which is probably a better process than just preventing a bunch of users from playing (e.g., disconnecting them immediately) in the first place.

• Options
    I think it is quite possible to limit specific inputs like that.

As in, you will never need to cancel attack more than likely say, 3-4 times a second? That really shouldn't be an issue.

The only reason it happens though is they lazilly took the channeled dot skill and made it an auto attack, not remembering that real skills have at a bare minimum some form of GCD or just normal CD that prevent that.

They just need to make it a unique 'skill' and put in the proper measures to make it function like an auto (the internal timer continues even after cancelling it, no big deal).

• Options
    Inqisitor was referring to the server accepting the inputs, not the processing. He's right that the server needs to accept them immediately, but it should also detect hundreds of inputs a second as a hacker and kick the person from the game.

• Options
    @Ubel I know you found that garden of terrors match frustrating, but I really enjoyed stepping up my game in that 5-person. Although I think I actually felt a little intimidated by the skill level and would have been better if I'd just chillaxed and played like I do any other match. I don't care if random people think I'm an idiot, but I don't want to look bad with you guys! :-)

As far as reflecting on what went wrong, yeah I think you got it right on BHB. I sometimes positioned my Hammer a little away from the rest of the group - not just behind, but a bit to the side. What happened then was then I didn't have a good view on whether the team pulled back a little so I didn't change my position and it left me exposed. Also yeah the butcher diving didn't work out.

On Garden... I don't know, man. I think the only thing to do would to have been to divert more resources to hunting Murky. He was so incredibly effective I think if one of us had just gone on an egg hunt it might have helped. Also maybe I should have dropped creep in every bush. Fighting him back wasn't effective because he could drain mana down on anyone, and of course is still dangerous in his own right. I don't have a great answer for that one, but maybe that'd have worked.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Supagoat wrote: »
    Inqisitor was referring to the server accepting the inputs, not the processing. He's right that the server needs to accept them immediately, but it should also detect hundreds of inputs a second as a hacker and kick the person from the game.

You need to consider issues with the connection too though. Just because the server is receiving that many inputs doesn't mean the user sent them.

I mean, there's ways around it I'm sure, but in the end it's much easier to just fix the skill itself so it doesn't apply the damage that way.

shryke on
  • Options
    ForceVoid wrote: »

she could certainly use it. been playing a lot of sonya and rexxar this week and they just bully her so hard. rexxar with wrath basically just kills her, and sonya rqw auto is 75% of her life instantly.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Considering Morales doesn't heal better than Rehgar, is less mobile and has fewer offensive capabilities, yeah I'd say she's not in a good place. But putting a Stim Drone on a Butcher or Illidan feels great.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Honestly what Morales needs more than just a health buff would be another talent for her Riot Grenade. There are two effects that would go a LONG way to increasing her survivability if they put it on the grenade. The first would be a Concussive effect that would slow and/or disorient the target, giving her even as little as a 0.5 second head start in running away. The other effect would be a Flashbang effect. Let her apply blind to targets of her grenade. Being able to tag an Illidan or Kerrigan or Sonya with Blind when they dive Morales would go a long way to increasing her survivability.

• Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    I really wish you had some choice in dailies. It's a little frustrating that I prefer to main support, but haven't had a support daily in weeks. Which basically means I have to spend the night playing 2nd or 3rd choice roles, or choose not to earn much gold at all (these are typically the only games I can play).

Would it be difficult for them to implement a discard daily option like they have in Hearthstone? That would at least help a little.

Funny you bring this up, I actually tweeted this to Dustin Browder a week or so ago and got a response:
    IqhNRfr.png
    Which... is inconclusive, but something is better than nothing, even if it's kind of a non-answer.

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Honestly what Morales needs more than just a health buff would be another talent for her Riot Grenade. There are two effects that would go a LONG way to increasing her survivability if they put it on the grenade. The first would be a Concussive effect that would slow and/or disorient the target, giving her even as little as a 0.5 second head start in running away. The other effect would be a Flashbang effect. Let her apply blind to targets of her grenade. Being able to tag an Illidan or Kerrigan or Sonya with Blind when they dive Morales would go a long way to increasing her survivability.

I thought there was a slow talent?

• Options

At 13, which is kinda too late. Honestly since medics in SC1 have blind I think it would be okay to give her a tier 1 talent that gives grenade a 2 autoattack blind effect per hero hit. That might even be pretty weak for a level 1 talent, but she could really use something like that.

• Options
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

At 13, which is kinda too late. Honestly since medics in SC1 have blind I think it would be okay to give her a tier 1 talent that gives grenade a 2 autoattack blind effect per hero hit. That might even be pretty weak for a level 1 talent, but she could really use something like that.

I was honestly shocked it wasn't a blind or something like that baseline, since it's such a core part of the SC medic kit.

I was actually thinking we'd get a grenade that decreased vision and attack range for the enemy and that you could then talent into a knockback. Cause that would differentiate it from Tychus' grenade and be consistent with the SC medic. And would have been a cool new effect.

The way it works now is different enough that it doesn't feel like a copy of Tychus' anyway, and it's actually more useful for peeling I think, but it could really use something to keep things off her ass.

• Options
    Heh. I didn't even know that she already had a slow talent for her grenade. Probably because she has something pretty major at 13 that is like way better. Is 13 when she gets Couples Therapy?

• Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    Heh. I didn't even know that she already had a slow talent for her grenade. Probably because she has something pretty major at 13 that is like way better. Is 13 when she gets Couples Therapy?

Naw, the slow talent is at 16, not 13. 13 is all the Heal Beam talents+Spell Shield. 16 is the two Safeguard talents and two Grenade talents (Slow, Cooldown reduction+2nd Charge).

It's a decaying slow, though, and it also competes with the very good Safeguard talents.

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    shryke wrote: »
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

I was honestly shocked it wasn't a blind or something like that baseline, since it's such a core part of the SC medic kit.

I was actually thinking we'd get a grenade that decreased vision and attack range for the enemy and that you could then talent into a knockback. Cause that would differentiate it from Tychus' grenade and be consistent with the SC medic. And would have been a cool new effect.

The way it works now is different enough that it doesn't feel like a copy of Tychus' anyway, and it's actually more useful for peeling I think, but it could really use something to keep things off her ass.

I wish it actually packed some punch. At level 20 it does, what, 300 damage? It may as well not deal any damage at all and gain the utility from a lower mana cost, cooldown or better knockback. The ability just has no visceral reward to it. Neither does Safeguard.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Supagoat wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »

Playing drunk and playing after having a drink are two very different things. If you want to get drunk and play a single player game, knock yourself out. If you want to ruin other people's experience in a multiplayer team game because you thought it'd be funny to get shitfaced and act like a moron, that's not so cool.

Sure, playing with a beer is fine.

My best game ever as lili was when I was drunk.

Thematically appropriate!

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Morales specifically has a voice line about not being used to her grenades not blinding.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Dibby wrote: »

Naw, the slow talent is at 16, not 13. 13 is all the Heal Beam talents+Spell Shield. 16 is the two Safeguard talents and two Grenade talents (Slow, Cooldown reduction+2nd Charge).

It's a decaying slow, though, and it also competes with the very good Safeguard talents.

Ahh, right. Super Safeguard, or Double Safeguard are way better talents than a slow on her grenade at 16.

Slow on grenade would need to be like a level 1 or 4 talent for it to be worth consideration.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Supagoat do you remember that streak of wins we had with other PA peeps?

I was about four beers deep at the start of that.

• Options
    I just don't understand how morales is supposed to be balanced when compared to a hero like li li. Li Li has a huge healing ult with incredible range, great mobility which makes her hard to kill, pretty good damage, and blinds+shrink ray.

At the very top end, medivac is a game changer, but outside of that coordinated teamplay, I don't see how she's supposed to be good compared to the other supports.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    Basically the medic has to heal for a lot more to be useful. Heal more and heal it efficiently. If she's going to have zero offensive power and no play-making tools then she needs to be, bar none, the best healer in the game. If she's going to be easy to kill it needs to be such that you MUST kill or chase her off to win the teamfight.

This discussion has been closed.