Options

Rise of the Planet of the Tomb Raiders

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Guess I'll have to replay the PS4 version of the first game and think about what a joy of a time I'll be having in a year

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Guess I'll have to replay the PS4 version of the first game and think about what a joy of a time I'll be having in a year

God it is so dumb you have to wait that long.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    When is the PC version?

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    When is the PC version?

March at the latest, probably

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    January

• Options
    I would wager either the month before or the month after Deus Ex. I would hope the month before.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    My one complaint is that they should have fully embraced the last of us style crafting system rather than the sort of half measure here where you can make Molotovs and can bombs but can't stockpile them.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Graham how is the 360 version

Pretty good! There's a little jank in some of the animations, and the cutscenes are all pre-rendered so it'll show a different outfit and gear than what you have equipped, which is a little jarring when the switch happens

But it's still a great looking game and controls really well and the environmental puzzles in the tombs are all pretty cool

• Options
    Also I LOVE when you're in a protracted firefight and Lara will start berserker screaming at the enemies to bring it on

• Options
    Man I REALLY should wait but I loved that first one so much

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    You're making it super hard to wait for the PC version Grey

• Options
    Are there tanks in this game? If so are the also in the 360 version?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    This game, you guys.

It's pretty great.

If you only have a PS4, you have my sympathies. If you have an Xbone and are on the fence, get off that damned fence and buy it.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options

...Tanks? No
    There are no vehicles

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

...Tanks? No
    There are no vehicles

I'm so

so mad you didn't say "No Tanks"

• Options

...Tanks? No
    There are no vehicles

I'm so

so mad you didn't say "No Tanks"

I'm having Nunavut

• Options

...Tanks? No
    There are no vehicles

I was making fun of Blops3. The 360 "turn tanks to vans" thing gives me endless amusement.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

...Tanks? No
    There are no vehicles

I was making fun of Blops3. The 360 "turn tanks to vans" thing gives me endless amusement.

wait what

• Options

...Tanks? No
    There are no vehicles

wait what

http://www.destructoid.com/surprise-black-ops-iii-looks-not-great-on-last-gen-turns-tanks-into-vans-319238.phtml

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    ahahahahah

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Also I LOVE when you're in a protracted firefight and Lara will start berserker screaming at the enemies to bring it on

That was my favorite part of the reboot; when she gets the grenade launcher and goes from prey to predator in like, two seconds, and then is just supremely confident in her ability to wreck shit.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular

...Tanks? No
    There are no vehicles

wait what

The PS3 and Xbox 360 versions also don't feature a single player campaign.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options

...Tanks? No
    There are no vehicles

wait what

The PS3 and Xbox 360 versions also don't feature a single player campaign.

That makes sense. Most of the people still sitting on those consoles that they're targeting mostly just play multiplayer anyway. If you're gonna cut something on your shameless cash grab, it's a no-brainer.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular

Oh man

I'm happy my favorite video game moment of 2013 is just a thing that happens in this one

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    I heard that this game has some pretty strong religious themes, like dragon age but with real religion

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Oh my god the outfit you get for completing all the tombs is crazy

• Options
    Oh my god the outfit you get for completing all the tombs is crazy

Specifically
    A full set of Byzantine plate armor over ring mail

• Options
    Also the bonus you get from the final one
    is the formula for Greek Fire, which lets your fire arrows and incendiary rounds burn through armor

• Options
    I just got the grappling hook and ITS SO FUN

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    There's a goddamned grappling hook?

Man it's so hard to tear away from Fallout but I do really wanna play more of this

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Yeah, I remember the grappling hook from the trailers, it looks sweet.

• Options
    The grappling hook is great because it's just one of Lara's climbing axes with a rope on the end that she tosses at ledges and swing points

• Options
    -Tal wrote: »
    I heard that this game has some pretty strong religious themes, like dragon age but with real religion

@-Tal sort of, vaguely?
    I finished this tonight so whole game spoilers
    So, there was this prophet who was immortal thanks to something called the Divine Source, and was able to gift his followers with this as well, and they left Constantinople and traveled to Siberia to escape persecution and live in peace

There's a character who is the current leader of the remnants of the prophet's people, who actually turns out to be the prophet himself, and he admits to Lara that although the power is real, it isn't divine, but his people needed to believe that so he leaned into it and kept up the lie

This is literally the only conversation that touches on the subject

The Source itself, which is a blue crystal thing with weird writing on it, is never given any explanation in dialogue

One of the relics you can find in the lost city is a small carved figurine, which Lara notes looks Scythian but "looks like a... No. No, that's impossible."

What it looks like is an astronaut, thus I can only assume the Divine Source is alien in origin, which frankly kinda cheapens the whole discussion, so make of that what you will

• Options
    edited November 2015
    It's really weird to me that they didn't address the criticism of their survivalist and morality stuff being pretty badly undercut by the game giving you a big ol' thumbs up for every stealth kill and headshot

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Was there criticism of that?

• Options
    Absolutely

It's harder to take the theme of how damaging it is to take a life when the game is constantly throwing up HEADSHOT!

STEALTHY!

like it's an arcade game

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Mr. G wrote: »
    It's really weird to me that they didn't address the criticism of their survivalist and morality stuff being pretty badly undercut by the game giving you a big ol' thumbs up for every stealth kill and headshot

I dunno that it's a problem anymore though because this game isn't about Lara becoming a killer anymore, that's done with. She is one and very good at it already when this game starts. There's no dissonance there anymore because this game never presents Lara as being reluctant or out of her depth, that was the first game's arc, but it's complete.

And they toned way back on the gruesomeness of the violence, almost a little too much I think. Like I am glad the super gnarly QTE death animations for gnarly are gone, but I just recently unlocked the shotgun finisher move which involves Lara grabbing an enemy, jamming the barrel of her shotun right under his chin and pulling the trigger - and then there's like some blood but the dude's head is completely intact afterwards as he falls over dead which COME ON. It looks really really silly.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    I just got to the first open area and oh no

oh no no no no

i'm gonna be playin' this for a while, huh

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Every single time I come across a thing I can't do yet without gear I pout and do this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRTkCHE1sS4

Sing this entire song and throw myself down the laundry chute

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    I don't think tomb raider had the theme of how damaging it is to take a life

PNk1Ml4.png