Options

Rise of the Planet of the Tomb Raiders

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    We picked up the Xbone bundle back when it came out, so we got the digital copy of the original remastered. I've been playing through that one while Amy's working on Rise. I didn't get around to playing the first one, so I'm working on it since it always looked like a good game when she was playing it.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    One thing that bothers me so far in Rise is that Lara doesn't seem to have a personality. I don't know if it's the voice acting, or the character design or what. I don't remember having that issue with 2013 TR.

Maybe it's the TressFX. Something about it makes her look...generic.

Granted, her original personality was "badass, huge boobs", so I'm not complaining about the change. Still loving the game

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    It's disappointing that the characters are so bland in this, given how one of Terry Pratchett's strongest skills was creating amazing characters.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    It's disappointing that the characters are so bland in this, given how one of Terry Pratchett's strongest skills was creating amazing characters.

I mean, he didn't write the game.

I don't think he ever worked on a large budget game.

So placing that expectation on his daughter is kind of unfair.

Hell, every game I've written for - none of them actually went anyway. They were small indie things for flash websites and every time I would turn in a draft just for character dialogue, it got re-written all to hell, or I'd write a three page scene only to find that they were changing the game and removing that segment. It was a nightmare and that was on a five person team.

Writing compelling characters in that kind of environment is kinda garbage.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    I didn't even make the connection of rihanna pratchett writing a game about a woman trying to live up to her dead father

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Yeah. I think the number of companies where writers and programmers work together in an efficient manner is smaller than you would think.

• Options

I mean, he didn't write the game.

I don't think he ever worked on a large budget game.

So placing that expectation on his daughter is kind of unfair.

Hell, every game I've written for - none of them actually went anyway. They were small indie things for flash websites and every time I would turn in a draft just for character dialogue, it got re-written all to hell, or I'd write a three page scene only to find that they were changing the game and removing that segment. It was a nightmare and that was on a five person team.

Writing compelling characters in that kind of environment is kinda garbage.

Oh no, to be clear I don't expect it. But given the whole theme of trying to compare to your famous father, it's really too bad that one of people's big criticisms of her work here is something her father was so well known for.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    -Tal wrote: »
    I didn't even make the connection of rihanna pratchett writing a game about a woman trying to live up to her dead father

Dang

Hobnail on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    So I just started this game and man...its pretty great.

It doesn't reinvent the wheel, but it takes all the stuff you liked from the first game and makes it better.

So far my main two complaints are.

-I kind of wish there was a way to auto highlight stuff during firefights. I know you can use survival instincts but it can be kind of clunky during fights with lots if enemies.

-The Metroid-esque progression system has made me paranoid as heck about missing stuff.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    You can fast travel to any base camp to hunt for collectibles and stuff. The map tells you what you're missing in each area

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I started playing the first game again.

Such a good game.

Hoping that rumored PC date is true pretty hard over here

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Yeah I know. Its just a personal thing.

Also I have to say I like how the outfits look in this one.

One of my complaints with the first game was that all the DLC clothing options were kind of cheap and boring looking.

• Options
    Yeah, I've actually changed costumes a few times. Usually the ones won from ally missions.

It's like 80% because they look great (and practical to the story/environment) and 20% because they stay through cut scenes.

I can't stand when a game will change the costume back to the default one in cat scenes

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    I've been trying in vain to scratch a specific game itch lately and this game looks like it's the exact thing I need

but I only have a PS4

I'm in game itch limbo

• Options
    Keith wrote: »
    Yeah, I've actually changed costumes a few times. Usually the ones won from ally missions.

It's like 80% because they look great (and practical to the story/environment) and 20% because they stay through cut scenes.

I can't stand when a game will change the costume back to the default one in cat scenes

Yeah. I usually change my outfit based on current climate. Heh.

• Options
    This game makes me really want a Green Arrow game

I don't use anything other than the bow unless it makes me (or I'm losing a fight terribly)

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular

Damn cat scenes!

• Options

I don't use anything other than the bow unless it makes me (or I'm losing a fight terribly)

Well poison arrows are OP.

• Options

Damn cat scenes!

702bn3eqjm84.png

• Options

Damn cat scenes!

702bn3eqjm84.png

GAH!

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Keith! Spoilers please!

• Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »

Well poison arrows are OP.

And yet I always forget to use them

Getting stealth headshots with the bow is just so satisfying

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    same here. I think the combat is a bit easy in the game, i was only playing at normal difficulty but it felt like the very easy setting. most of the time when i hit a designated combat area it was 'sneak, headshot with bow many people, eventually pull out gun and spray them down.' Then i got the single shot rifle. That thing in combination with the grenade launcher and silencer add on to all rifles makes it basically the only weapon you need the rest of the game. I havent even gotten the combat rifle...it may be better but i doubt it. Explosive arrows with the skill is also pretty op.

I really liked the game. Sad that its getting such shitty numbers but honestly thats not really CD's fault, its microsofts. I've owned both PS4 and XBone almost since they came out, and while my PS4 collection has gotten larger due to better reviews on any cross-platform games, I've only gotten a few games for xbox. I was glad to finally be able to use the damn thing.

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Finally jumped back into this game, feels good to be back.

• Options
    Yeah, I should get back into it too.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    It's out on PC, by the way

All you PC-waiters

Maybe buy this, it's rad

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular

I'm just wondering why you start out with the Ranger and Sparrowhawk outfits.

I'm also getting some huge performance drops sometimes, especially now that I reached the first big area, but it doesn't seem to be gpu related? Runnng it on a 970 at it doesn't even get warm enough to get the fans running.

Otherwise its quite fun so far and really pretty.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    So I'm really enjoying this.

But I'm wondering:
    What's up with the cast from the first game? I read an article that Sam is apparently still being possessed by Himiko (which I feel kinda sucks as a plot point), and is in prison because Himiko used her body to assault someone, and that Lara is off doing her things to find a way to kill Himiko for good while leaving sam alive, but I haven't even heard Sam's name in this game yet. Does it happen later on?
    What about Reyes? Nothing? What's the point of fleshing out these characters in one game only to excise them from the next?

Psykoma on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Playing a lot of Syndicate before this is messing with my head, I keep thinking I have Evie and Jacob levels of parkour.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Has anyone else noticed how tiny Lara is compared to almost every NPC?

I don't know if it's my game glitching or what but it's like interacting with giants constantly.

• Options
    edited January 2016
    I don't think you're glitching
    orRgo8h.png
    It almost makes her look like Ellie with Joel from last of us.

Psykoma on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    What is this? An archaeologist for ANTS?

• Options
    I wrote a bunch about this game in the podcast thread but basically its really really really good and such a huge improvement from the last one its kind of mindblowing

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    I will never forget in gears of war, if you moved closer to characters while aiming, marcus fenix would stay the same size but the characters would appear larger and larger

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »

I'm just wondering why you start out with the Ranger and Sparrowhawk outfits.

I'm also getting some huge performance drops sometimes, especially now that I reached the first big area, but it doesn't seem to be gpu related? Runnng it on a 970 at it doesn't even get warm enough to get the fans running.

Otherwise its quite fun so far and really pretty.

Turn textures down to High.

Unless they already are, in which case :shrug:

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    I 100%ed this. I liked it more than 2013, but while I appreciate it got rid of the gross "snuff" visuals from that one, I kinda also feel that 2013 had a more...coherent visual aesthetic maybe? Like, their aim with that one was to show the fear and terror of being a survivor, while this one was just a big blockbuster game

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »

But I'm wondering:
    What's up with the cast from the first game? I read an article that Sam is apparently still being possessed by Himiko (which I feel kinda sucks as a plot point), and is in prison because Himiko used her body to assault someone, and that Lara is off doing her things to find a way to kill Himiko for good while leaving sam alive, but I haven't even heard Sam's name in this game yet. Does it happen later on?
    What about Reyes? Nothing? What's the point of fleshing out these characters in one game only to excise them from the next?

Where was this article? This is the first I've heard that
    As for returning characters in the second game
    absolutely nothing about any of them or about Himiko

• Options
    edited February 2016
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Psykoma wrote: »

But I'm wondering:

Where was this article? This is the first I've heard that
    As for returning characters in the second game
    absolutely nothing about any of them or about Himiko

WHAT HAPPENED BETWEEN TOMB RAIDER AND RISE OF THE TOMB RAIDER? COMICS HAVE THE ANSWER
    That sucks and makes no sense. Lara's best friend for decades, which she indiscriminately murdered hundreds of people to save, is locked away in prison because her body is inhabited by a centuries old malevolent spirit, and she goes on some "Holy Source" adventure of her dad's without even having Sam cross her thoughts?

Psykoma on
  • Options
    I 100%ed this. I liked it more than 2013, but while I appreciate it got rid of the gross "snuff" visuals from that one, I kinda also feel that 2013 had a more...coherent visual aesthetic maybe? Like, their aim with that one was to show the fear and terror of being a survivor, while this one was just a big blockbuster game

I love this

Lara is still portrayed as a survivor

She gets scared and cold and hungry

But they also portray her as an unstoppable ghost who destroys everything who stands in her way from the perspective of the bad guys

Then from her viewpoint you see she was really barely holding it together through sheer courage and determination

Its so great. It shows she's still a young woman in above her head but to the people she's up against she may as well be murder batman

And its awesome

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    The sequences where everything is exploding and you run down an open path while a big thing falls to your right and then another big thing falls to your left got pretty old, though

Still think these games do not do hyper-linear sections well at all

Good thing they really expanded on the more open stuff, though!

6F32U1X.png