Options

Rise of the Planet of the Tomb Raiders

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Lara's stepmom-ish person being part of trinity was like the most obvious and lame twist ever

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »
    Lara's stepmom-ish person being part of trinity was like the most obvious and lame twist ever
    I don't think it really counts as a twist when it's so early on and so central to the plot

You wanna talk lame obvious twists, the Jacob one is RIGHT there

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I was so convinced that wasn't going to happen, solely because it was that freaking obvious.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    The on-rails explodey/shooty/landslidey/etc escape sequences in this game seem pretty fine so far?

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Whoops nevermind

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    Is Jacob yoda-ing right now?

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Keith wrote: »
    I 100%ed this. I liked it more than 2013, but while I appreciate it got rid of the gross "snuff" visuals from that one, I kinda also feel that 2013 had a more...coherent visual aesthetic maybe? Like, their aim with that one was to show the fear and terror of being a survivor, while this one was just a big blockbuster game

I love this

Lara is still portrayed as a survivor

She gets scared and cold and hungry

But they also portray her as an unstoppable ghost who destroys everything who stands in her way from the perspective of the bad guys

Then from her viewpoint you see she was really barely holding it together through sheer courage and determination

Its so great. It shows she's still a young woman in above her head but to the people she's up against she may as well be murder batman

And its awesome

Have you seen the BvS trailers? Pretty sure he's just called Batman now.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I 100%ed this. I liked it more than 2013, but while I appreciate it got rid of the gross "snuff" visuals from that one, I kinda also feel that 2013 had a more...coherent visual aesthetic maybe? Like, their aim with that one was to show the fear and terror of being a survivor, while this one was just a big blockbuster game

I love this

But they also portray her as an unstoppable ghost who destroys everything who stands in her way from the perspective of the bad guys

Then from her viewpoint you see she was really barely holding it together through sheer courage and determination

Its so great. It shows she's still a young woman in above her head but to the people she's up against she may as well be murder batman

And its awesome

I refuse

to steal a bit from linkara, I will call extremely out of character batman "crazy steve" to differentiate him from real batman

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options

I love this

And its awesome

I refuse

to steal a bit from linkara, I will call extremely out of character batman "crazy steve" to differentiate him from real batman

To be honest, I haven't bothered watching most of them either. I just hear what people say about it and shake my head sadly. "Not my Batman," I gravely mutter.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Veldrin wrote: »
    The on-rails explodey/shooty/landslidey/etc escape sequences in this game seem pretty fine so far?

Yeah I like them in this, they are FAR less frequent than the first game

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    everything doesn't seem to collapse as much, either

• Options
    edited February 2016
    So I did the gulag, got out of there np.
    But now I have a side quest to go back in there, and I can't figure out for the life of me how to get there

edit: I'm an idiot.

Psykoma on
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Ok, I had way too much fun throwing those chickens around.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Has anyone else noticed how tiny Lara is compared to almost every NPC?

I don't know if it's my game glitching or what but it's like interacting with giants constantly.
    But now I have a side quest to go back in there, and I can't figure out for the life of me how to get there

Just got to that point, too. Is there another way besides fast travel?

honovere on
  • Options
    honovere wrote: »
    Has anyone else noticed how tiny Lara is compared to almost every NPC?

I don't know if it's my game glitching or what but it's like interacting with giants constantly.

Just got to that point, too. Is there another way besides fast travel?
    I ran up and down that coast for almost two hours. No way there other than fast travel. Just remember that you can go two different directions from the gulag campfire

• Options
    Okay so Jacob has to be the prophet.

What's with bad guys palms? They just randomly bleed?
    Ana's got to have something serious, that lays dormant for years and only kicks into overdrive in the last two weeks.

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Okay so Jacob has to be the prophet.

What's with bad guys palms? They just randomly bleed?
    Ana's got to have something serious, that lays dormant for years and only kicks into overdrive in the last two weeks.
    Dude seems to have wounds in his hands that look like he's been crucified or something. It's never super dwelled on though.

• Options
    Stigmata. It's a thing.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    I got that his hands had been pierced through, but in one moment they'll be fine, and the next they'll be fully bleeding like they were just done.

I mean like this clip, he even throws a bench and his wounds don't bleed, but holding them in prayer pose for ten seconds causes intense bleeding?

• Options
    I got that his hands had been pierced through, but in one moment they'll be fine, and the next they'll be fully bleeding like they were just done.

I mean like this clip, he even throws a bench and his wounds don't bleed, but holding them in prayer pose for ten seconds causes intense bleeding?
    Many stigmata show recurring bleeding that stops and then starts, at times after receiving Holy Communion, and a large percentage of stigmatics have shown a high desire to receive Holy Communion frequently

It's a "spiritual" thing.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    ahhhhh, cool. Thanks!

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular

Stigmata is a phenomenon is generally not reliant on what you're actually doing with your hands at the time

They are mystical wounds tied to religious ecstasy

Prayer in this case rather makes sense

• Options
    Oh god, there are deathless enemies to fight now? I'm sensing a theme.

Also, what the hell happened to Jonah? Is he still searching through mountains for me? Did he die? Whats up dude?

• Options
    Jonah's alive!

The deathless (like the oni in the last game) always freak me the fuck out until I have a chance to actually fight them. This game doesn't seem too interested in giving me that chance and so freaked out I remain.

I wonder if they would actually recognize or listen to Jacob if he went to them now. Why's he the one who gets to live in the sunlight with other normal people, while they have to remain eternally alive and in essence monsters in tunnels? I would get pretty damned bitter if I were one of them.

• Options
    Rock Lobster!Rock Lobster! Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

Stigmata is a phenomenon is generally not reliant on what you're actually doing with your hands at the time

They are mystical wounds tied to religious ecstasy

Prayer in this case rather makes sense

Actually just found a document revealing the source of this. Pretty big villain spoiler if you're still real early into the game; minor spoiler if you haven't gotten to the Research Base yet and want to find the document for yourself.
    The Strength of Faith
    Ana has manipulated her brother for years, shaped him into the monster he has become. I almost feel sorry for him.

"I won't die in this God forsaken valley. My faith is strong. My will is strong. Even if... my mind keeps wandering away.

In our youth... Konstantin and I in our youth...

He was a difficult child. Always wondering, always questioning. Afraid of what the future might hold.
    Afraid that he might never find his purpose. The night I cut those marks into his hands, the night I whispered into his ear, I made him. I saved him. He believed it to be the work of God, just as I'd hoped.

Now I need him to save me.

And if, in the end, he can't. Then I'll save myself."

jesus christ, ana

Steam | BNet: Eits#1367
  • Options
    It makes a lot of sense that Jacob has no control over the deathless anymore.

• Options
    So I'm having trouble finding coins

I'm more than halfway through the game and I don't have enough for the shotgun, and I'm playing super thorough, clearing the map of icons every time I get a map or explorers pack

Is there some trick to finding these that I'm missing?

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

I'm more than halfway through the game and I don't have enough for the shotgun, and I'm playing super thorough, clearing the map of icons every time I get a map or explorers pack

Monoliths

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options

Are you talking to the remnant lady in the geothermal valley who gives you like 10 coins for each challenge tomb you do?

• Options

Are you talking to the remnant lady in the geothermal valley who gives you like 10 coins for each challenge tomb you do?

I hadn't been, thanks!

• Options
    70% mark
    I was right, the deathless scared me shitless exactly up to the point where I killed my first one.

Which is a lot easier than someone with the title Deathless would imply

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    70% mark
    I was right, the deathless scared me shitless exactly up to the point where I killed my first one.

One of the scrolls from an original Trinity guy says he killed a Deathless and then watched it come back to life the next day.

• Options
    70% mark

One of the scrolls from an original Trinity guy says he killed a Deathless and then watched it come back to life the next day.
    yah but I didn't think they came back to a human form from the "smoking ashes" point

• Options
    I finished the main story
    75% completion so far.

I still believe that the games' story as a sequel was dramatically hurt by not even mentioning Sam.
    Storywise it doesn't feel like a sequel to 2013, it feels almost like a prequel with Lara interacting mostly with her memory of her dad instead of her friends who are still alive.

And then while searching article about Sam and why she wasn't included, apparently there was an interview where one of the writers of the tomb raider comics - Rhianna Pratchett (also the writer for the games) said that Sam's story Ends where it was left in the comics. Which if you didn't know was in a mental institute where Himiko had taken over her body.
    Lara knows that's the state that Sam is in, she knows Himiko is in there, but apparently she's supposed to be 100% a-ok with her best friend of years, the person for whom saving was her primary motivator in the first game, staying in that situation. This is despite Lara's last words in the comics being that no matter what she would find something to help Sam? And then she goes through what is probably a multiple week long adventure without Sam crossing her thoughts even once, at the end of which she seems to promise herself that she'll keep on adventuring to beat Trinity, with again, no sam?
    It's just a story-based garbage heap.

But anyway, as a game which exists on it's own, with no association at all with the 2013 tomb raider, it was super enjoyable. I'm going around now to catch all the things I missed.

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Ha ha, I went through most of the earlier battles forgetting that you can heal mid-battle (I have the difficulty up so you only regen when all enemies are dead). I really want that shotgun to make my life easier, but I do like the frantic decisions you have to make and the timing you have to perfect to shoot people while they're reloading.

• Options
    Does anyone know what the dotted yellow lines on maps mean

There is a survival cache in the bottom right area of the soviet installation Mao I've been trying to get to for nearly two hours and I have no idea how to get there

It looks like I need to take a dotted yellow line from another area but I don't know what that means

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    I might be wrong but I think those are ziplines

• Options
    edited February 2016
    They're either ziplines or just a general indicator of the path between zones I think?

Psykoma on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular

There is a survival cache in the bottom right area of the soviet installation Mao I've been trying to get to for nearly two hours and I have no idea how to get there

It looks like I need to take a dotted yellow line from another area but I don't know what that means

There must be something later, right? That same one has been driving me crazy.

• Options
    captaink wrote: »

There must be something later, right? That same one has been driving me crazy.

I'm right up to the end of the game

I Have absolutely no idea how to get there still