Options

[Rainbow Six-Siege] Always Check Your Corners!

BloodycowBloodycow Registered User regular
edited December 2015 in Games and Technology
8pwj4910ausj.jpg
The Rainbow Six Siege closed beta started on September 24th!

dwmv9vfvd9jz.jpg

There are a total of 20 different 'Operators' you can play as each with there own unique abilities and weaknesses.
SAS OPERATORS
Sledge
Attacker
Carries a Breaching Hammer that can break through walls.
Thatcher
Attacker
Carries EMP Grenades.
Mute
Defender
Carries a Jammer that prevents the use of UAVs, drones remote charges.
Smoke
Defender
Carries explosive charges that, when detonated, release harmful chemical gas into a room.
FBI / SWAT OPERATORS
Thermite
Attacker
Carries Thermite Breaching Charges that are capable of destroying reinforced walls.
Ash
Attacker
Can fire a Breaching Charges from a distance.
Castle
Defender
Can place Reinforced Barricades that are capable of sustaining large amounts of damage.
Pulse
Defender
Carries a Hearbeat Sensor to detect
enemies through walls and barriers.
GIGN OPERATORS
Twitch
Attacker
Can pilot Unmanned Drones that can disable traps and deliver electric shocks to enemies.
Rook
Defender
Deploys Armor Crate containing body armor for teammates.
FUZE
Attacker
Can mount a charge to a wall or trap door that sends 4 frag grenades into the next room.

I made a quick Google Doc so we can all try to squad up sometime!

" I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
― John Quincy Adams
Bloodycow on

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    There was a thread for this a while ago.

Been playing a decent amount of terrorist hunt the past couple days but the servers are awful. Nobody seems to be playing the actual multiplayer versus at all, or at least I've managed to get into a game a total of one time, which was a 5 on 3. Every other time it's searched for several minutes and then thrown a server error. I see people playing the team versus on Twitch but damned if I know how they're getting into games.

So far beta confirms my impression from before that this is not a bad game but also not a $60 game.

• Options
    Vic_HazardVic_Hazard Registered User regular
    The betas first day is buggy as all hell with getting matches, but I've been getting tons anyway. The game is really cool, people should be talking about this. Overall it feels very solid and there's serious awesome moments. If they fix the buggy servers (not surprising they're screwed on first day, they probably will be on release too) and add some more stuff in terms of gadgets and operators this game seems really neat.

Camerashield for life, take someones picture as you plug them with your handgun.

• Options
    Shield guys are awesome except that they're pretty much defenseless against the suicide bombers because even if you spot them far enough away it takes too many shots to kill those assholes with a handgun.

The bombers are basically the opposite of fun anyway. I get that they're there as sort of a wild card to keep you on your toes but the fact there's no real counter to them except locating them from far away makes the whole mechanic feel arbitrary, like there's a referee overseeing the whole match who suddenly declares random members of your team to be "out."

The number of people I've seen die to anybody BUT bombers in terrorist hunt (at least on the normal difficulty), I can probably count on the fingers of my two hands, if not just one hand.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Either no one's playing this on PC (because of Uplay, I imagine) or the matchmaking is garbage.

Or both.

• Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    I got it downloaded, but won't be able to play till Tuesday probably. Maybe Monday night.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    I think I'm level 17 or 18 now with 7 operators unlocked and most of the weapons upgraded with sights and other crap.

I'm having fun, but the matchmaking is horrible right now. If you don't get a match in the first minute, you need to just re queue. That is the only way that I can consistently get into a match.

But yeah, so far I don't think this will be something I will spend money on. I got burned buying Evolve and this is the same kinda of game, your fun depends on the skill and communication of random people.

Here is a google doc so we can all try to squad up sometime.

" I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
    ― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    Bloodycow wrote: »
    I got burned buying Evolve and this is the same kinda of game

Exactly what I was saying in the old thread. They're both niche kind of games with the same kind of potential pitfalls and I expect them to follow pretty much the same arc popularity wise. Siege has a little better change of succeeding than Evolve does though because of the R6 name recognition and the fact shooting mans is something people understand whereas there was no real analogue for Evolve's asymmetrical gameplay.

• Options
    This also doesn't have the bad press from Evolve's DLC pricing.

• Options
    I don't think this game is very similar to evolve, it's very similar to cs though.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Does the pre-match setup still last longer than the actual match, or did they find some way to fix that?

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Not sure what you mean?

Do you mean the set up as in putting up your defenses and the attackers using their drones? Or do you mean the character/weapon select?

― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    BranniganSeppBranniganSepp Swiss Burrito Enthusiast PSN: ExMaloBonumRegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Got into a couple of Terro Hunts thus far. No luck getting into proper multiplayer yet, but I only tried a couple of times. Pretty neat, albeit the controls feel somewhat sluggish. Rappeling is the bees' knees. The load times and the overall UI responsiveness are somewhat slow too. I love destructible environments in general, so I will keep an open mind about it, but I doubt it will make the cut against Battlefront and my current and on-going Battlefield habit.

Now to keep hammering those servers to get a multiplayer match before the beta runs out. Until when is the beta supposed to be running?

BranniganSepp on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Not sure what you mean?

Do you mean the set up as in putting up your defenses and the attackers using their drones? Or do you mean the character/weapon select?

When I played the alpha, the pre-match setup where the defenders set up their defenses and the offense finds them via drones took longer than the actual matches, because the offense always knew exactly where to go.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    BranniganSeppBranniganSepp Swiss Burrito Enthusiast PSN: ExMaloBonumRegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Played my first match. Had a 2-1 lead when something went wrong and everyone left the server. Then I won the match. Odd. Guess the guys at Ubisoft really need this beta, and the extra time.

A major problem I have with the game is the lacking flow. Sit in a lobby 'til something happens. Then sit in a character select screen 'til something happens. Then drive around in a drone or build fortifications. Only then you go shoot people, and that can be over in a flash. I don't think I'm patient enough for this type of FPS game, or the way the matchmaking has to be setup in order for this to work.

Counter-example. I join a Battlefield server, maybe I wait a minute in a queue beforehand, from then on out it's about 30 minutes of pure gameplay, followed by less than a minute of scorescreens and award tallies and whatnot between rounds, followed by another 30 minutes of pure gameplay, and so forth. I can literally play 8 hours with practically zero downtime. It just keeps flowing. I get that that isn't possible with a 5 vs 5 game, there's just not enough of a margin of error for the balance to work out, if there isn't exactly 5 players on each team. I guess that just doesn't really work for me. I want to play, not wait around to play.

I actually have the same issue with practically all online multiplayer games outside of Battlefield. There's too much sitting around and not enough playing the game. Siege being a tactical one-life-then-it's-over FPS game just amplifies that problem somewhat. Oddly enough Hardline has small team modes like that too, but they keep it drop-in-drop-out like the big modes, which way too often breaks the game because of quitters, or nobody new showing up between rounds, but in the end, I'd rather play a 2-vs-5 match than be waiting around. Of course I'd rather play a large player count mode over that, so the point is moot.

I don't know how one could circumvent the *Flow* problem with a game like Siege. It's quite the conundrum.

BranniganSepp on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    I was watching a buddy of mine play this and we noticed much the same problem.

It seemed like the majority of your time was spent in prep. Whether selecting operators, maps, waiting on people, setting up defenses, etc.

Then once all of that is done and you get to the point where you can start shoo- and it's done! Back to the prep phase!

I've no idea how to fix it. Currently it feels like you spend 75% of your time waiting and then 25% shooting mans and that typically isn't a good recipe for an online game.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Way back when, I entered a beta access key into their website, and it told me that I have succesfully joined the closed beta, and that they would give me instructions once the closed beta start.

However, this still hasn't happened. Are they staggering access, or should I go do something drastic?

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    Check your spam folder. I got an email from them that my key was ready.

― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    There are definitely things I like about this game: the sounds are great. The gunplay is good (shotguns seem lackluster to me, as is the case in many shooters these days, although I have played with people who swear specific ones are great), some guns clearly perform better than others but all the ones I've tried have a nice "feel." And the core gameplay distinctive of destructible environments, penetrating fire, and creating new routes around the map is pretty cool when it comes together.

On the negative side, not all of the operators' unique gadgets/abilities that I've tried seem particularly useful, and there's a lot of little things that if you stop and think about them for a second kind of ruin the verisimilitude of this being the kind of "realistic" shooter that they seem to want us to think it is.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Never got my "guaranteed" access.
    Mortious wrote: »
    Way back when, I entered a beta access key into their website, and it told me that I have succesfully joined the closed beta, and that they would give me instructions once the closed beta start.

However, this still hasn't happened. Are they staggering access, or should I go do something drastic?

I never got my key either.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    Never got my "guaranteed" access.
    Mortious wrote: »

I never got my key either.

I think they're staggering when they release the keys. Although it ends in a couple days so they're starting to cut it pretty close.

• Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Yeah, it was supposed to be sent out to everyone by Saturday or something I think. I'm not stressed about it.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    RisenPhoenixRisenPhoenix SUPER HOTRegistered User regular
    Terrorist Hunt is good fun, though I've yet to get a good match on Realistic difficulty because nobody bloody talks. I feel that if I had a solid core group (hint hint GoogleDoc in OP) and everyone actually coordinated their attacks from multiple angles that there could be some very solid gameplay to be had.

That said, with the news that there's not going to be a Single Player campaign, it's going to be a damned hard sell at $60, which means I fear it's going to go the way of Titanfall.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Terrorist Hunt is good fun, though I've yet to get a good match on Realistic difficulty because nobody bloody talks. I feel that if I had a solid core group (hint hint GoogleDoc in OP) and everyone actually coordinated their attacks from multiple angles that there could be some very solid gameplay to be had.

That said, with the news that there's not going to be a Single Player campaign, it's going to be a damned hard sell at $60, which means I fear it's going to go the way of Titanfall.

Yup. This was on my radar but no SP campaign == no buy for me. Multiplayer was never something I ever cared about too much in this series.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Now that I have managed to eke out a few games, I am also in the camp of "this game is very fun"

But I would like to be able to join games! I know my internet from Australia is bad, and I don't necessarily disagree with the spirit of an auto-kick on players with over 500+ms pings, but at the very least I'd like to have the option to not be forcibly connected to the European or US datacenters where a 500+ ping is basically guaranteed, and instead connected to the much more reasonable and actually-existing Oceanic server =/

Not a lot of other feedback to give when I am incapable of playing games at all. :(

• Options
    This really doesn't strike me as a $60 game. I could see myself picking it up at $15-20, though.

• Options
    This really doesn't strike me as a $60 game. I could see myself picking it up at $15-20, though.

Yeah, they don't seem to understand their competition is not CoD and Battlefield, once you get past the cachet of the franchise name the closest analog for this game is something like Insurgency (which is $15 normally, and right now on sale on Steam for $9.74).

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »

Yeah, they don't seem to understand their competition is not CoD and Battlefield, once you get past the cachet of the franchise name the closest analog for this game is something like Insurgency (which is $15 normally, and right now on sale on Steam for $9.74).

Pretty much this.

This game looks great fun. So I could pony up £45 for it and convince/annoy my friends into ponying up that cash too.

Or... I could just go play Insurgency, Red Orchestra 2 or Arma. All of which fill in the 'tactical' kinda space just fine at a much lower cost.

Heck, for all the shittiness that games free to play Model is Ghost Recon: Online/Phantoms/whatever their latest PR face lift is is still out there and worth playing at the cost of sweet fuck all.

It's really hard to justify a multiplayer only triple A purchase when the game can so easily have points of comparison made to other, more established multiplayer games.

• Options
    So if we forego the pricing/competition discussion for a minute this game has amazing moments. Drones are complete game changers and it's so much fun to play a shield and fuze as attackers over mumble. Everyones play is also really under developed, there's a lot of depth to gain here. It's very strong to play offensive as defenders for example, don't get stuck in the bomb room.

• Options
    So, is there some trick to dealing with shields? They seem really OP, but maybe I'm just missing something.

• Options
    Nitro charges!

― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    KaneskiKaneski Registered User regular
    Played for 5-6 hours with a full team. Our conclusion was - it's CS:GO for consoles. After a discussion, we concluded that we... appreciate CSGO as a game - good game/level design and gunplay, very high skill cap and a reasonable learning curve. But we won't be playing it.

• Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    So, is there some trick to dealing with shields? They seem really OP, but maybe I'm just missing something.

I found moving through side rooms and perforating them through drywall/plywood did the trick in most cases. Since they're offense only, the boring alternate solution is just to wait them out. Granted, I tend to stay away from the bomb sites as a defender just to flank and kill people so I've never really had to take them on head-on.

• Options
    edited September 2015
    Beta has been extended through October 4, and I have 4 codes to give away to people who want to try the game and haven't gotten in yet. PM me.

Edit: Um, PC codes.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    I have 4 beta codes if someone needs one just send me a PM!

Edit: mine are PC codes.

Bloodycow on
    ― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    AngryPuppyAngryPuppy Registered User regular
    I've got four PS4 codes as well, EU if they're regional. PM me if you want one.

PSN: AngryPuppyEsq
  • Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    This game is phenomenal, but the matchmaking is slow and tedious. I hope Ubisoft fixes the match system before the game launches.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular

Tried messaging you but it's not letting me, maybe a mobile issue? I'd love a PC beta key if you still have one.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • Options
    I can tell you what not to do, don't all camp in the bomb room and get down on the floor/scram for cover when I breach a wall. Like fish in a barrel, 4 consecutive 1v1s.

Shields are pretty much there to counter closet camping, or at least very small focused camping. You need to spread your defense out. Also games are won by information in this game, cameras/drones are key, firing through walls is very lethal. It's clear that defenders have sub-par equipment by design so gotta try to fight dirty. My favorite is to jump out a window and shoot dudes rappelling on the building, attackers are typically completely undefended outside and you can see some people on camera just hanging around out there.

It's also worth noting that shield/pistols are shit for firing through walls/barricades.

• Options
    Konphujun wrote: »

Tried messaging you but it's not letting me, maybe a mobile issue? I'd love a PC beta key if you still have one.

Sent you one to your message box!

― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Emptied half a mag of the L85 at a Bomber's head in Beaufort Training level
    Not a single hit marker
    Bomber takes out two of us out in open space near the spawn
    Game disconnects shortly after

Welp thank you for helping me make my decision, Rainbow Six Siege

This discussion has been closed.