As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Arby's causes mass extinction event, thankfully there's [water on Mars]

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I say we just send Bear Grylls up there and see how long he can survive. He'll find some space bees and talk them into giving him some honey via interpretive dance, and then squeeze water out of their poop into his mouth to wash it down.

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    As we gain information that leads us to believe a planet is potentially open to colonization, there's some compelling ideas to think about.

Say we find a place devoid of life, but capable of sustaining life. What organisms do we want to have exist there?
    It would be a world we'd populate with a working food chain with specifically selected species.

Imagine an inhabitable world without Cockroaches, Tics, Spiders and Mosquitoes.

That sounds pretty dope to me, even if it's highly regulated biodome.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I'm not a big fan of the manifest destiny of humanity as a rule?

But if a thing is empty, we kind of need to spread out

Or else one stray rock the size of Chicago ends us and everything we've ever known or built and then who's going to be around to fuck the space aliens

No one, that's who

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    It's a real good thing I read on instead of immediately responding to UV's posts, otherwise I would have just reiterated all your points and replaced every one of his mentions of "Mars" with "the Oregon Trail."

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    It's a real good thing I read on instead of immediately responding to UV's posts, otherwise I would have just reiterated all your points and replaced every one of his mentions of "Mars" with "the Oregon Trail."

fucking dysentery man

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I'm pretty ok with humanity dying on this rock.

• Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »

fucking dysentery man

So many goddamn buffalo died and I didn't even make it to Idaho

Lousy wagon tongues

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    I'm pretty ok with humanity dying on this rock.

Right?

This is the key philosophical difference, I think

• Options
    Olivaw wrote: »

Or else one stray rock the size of Chicago ends us and everything we've ever known or built and then who's going to be around to fuck the space aliens

No one, that's who

You listen here, mister. There will always be a Kirk to fuck space aliens, okay? ALWAYS!

• Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    if we ain't going to live on mars we should at least blow it up

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

No one, that's who

You listen here, mister. There will always be a Kirk to fuck space aliens, okay? ALWAYS!

But is he going to have some of my genetic material (to shoot into some alien)

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    I'm pretty okay with me dying on this rock, but I'd be sad if I somehow learned that humanity never explored elsewhere.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    I'm pretty okay with me dying on this rock, but I'd be sad if I somehow learned that humanity never explored elsewhere.

Why?

Out of curiosity

• Options

Why?

Out of curiosity

I wonder which of these points of view is more common. I'm on the TrippyJing side where I feel exploration and wanting to solve the mystery of the unknown is paramount to humanity. I'm curious why you wouldn't be sad to find out we didn't explore elsewhere.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    The argument that we're deserving of death as a species is ignoring the fact that we've been getting rapidly better as a species as time goes on.

• Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    Because there is a whole universe out there to explore! Mars is just the first step. Don't you, deep down, feel a yearning to see it all? I do. I want to see everything in this world and beyond it. I know I can't, but I have a deeply rooted need to try.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    our continuing mission: to boldly seek out and have sex with new planets and new civilizations

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    The human race has a history of going, "Life sucks here, let's go over there" regardless of whether it's to live there, bring something back from there, or just to learn something new.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    The idea that extinction is preferable to humanity's continued existence beyond our lifetime is, perhaps, the most narcissistic thing I've ever heard

But then, I'm one of those types who believes that humanity changes as time goes on and doesn't have a set "good/evil" nature like a goddamn D&D character

I dunno

I sympathize with the idea that humanity is fucked but I guess I don't agree with the idea that humanity deserves to get fucked

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular

Why?

Out of curiosity

Why do you even go outside when you wake up?

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    Aphostile wrote: »

Why?

Out of curiosity

Why do you even go outside when you wake up?

To get food, usually

• Options
    'Humanity' doesn't exist. It's just an idea. It's like a country, long live Czechoslovakia! and all that. Humanity doesn't deserve to die, but it dying means nothing. Extinction isn't preferable but it isn't a bad thing either.

• Options
    'Humanity' doesn't exist. It's just an idea. It's like a country, long live Czechoslovakia! and all that. Humanity doesn't deserve to die, but it dying means nothing. Extinction isn't preferable but it isn't a bad thing either.

I'm sorry but my connection to other members of my same species is the last jingoistic hill I am willing to sacrifice

Extinction is bad because it's extinction

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    If Anne Frank could believe in the inherent goodness of humanity, there's nothing stopping any of us from believing the same.

Humanity can and should colonize our solar system. Humanity can, and should, exploit the resources of nearby planetoids that cannot bear life to further our goals. And eventually, in some distant future that we cannot conceive of, some little boy will be walking with his father out on their lawn one warm summer night, and he'll kneel down and take his son by the shoulder and guide the boy's curious eyes to the night sky, pick out a faint, distant yellow star and say "That's home. That's where your great, great, great grandfather was born."

• Options
    Things go extinct all the time, it's the natural way of things, how can that be sad?

• Options
    Things go extinct all the time, it's the natural way of things, how can that be sad?

When it's me, basically

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    We went from alien sex to questioning our right to survive even faster than I expected.

I'm less surprised by how quickly we went back.

• Options
    You must be a riot at funerals.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options

When it's me, basically
    Well, how's that for narcissism.

• Options
    The idea that extinction is preferable to humanity's continued existence beyond our lifetime is, perhaps, the most narcissistic thing I've ever heard

But then, I'm one of those types who believes that humanity changes as time goes on and doesn't have a set "good/evil" nature like a goddamn D&D character

I dunno

I sympathize with the idea that humanity is fucked but I guess I don't agree with the idea that humanity deserves to get fucked

I don't think it's preferable, simply inevitable, and I don't believe humans are inherently good or evil, and even if they were, I don't think that factors into it at all

I simply believe that humanity is going to die one day, that's all. I'm not being narcissistic and thinking "oh well hopefully it happens after I'm dead!" I just realize it's a very real possibility that it may happen while I am still alive. My own life doesn't matter in this scenario, it's completely irrelevant.

As for questions like "oh what's the point in even getting up in the morning?" or things like that, yo, I dig my life here. It's pretty cool! I like seeing my family and friends, I like making memories, discovering art I've never experienced before, so on and so forth. I just also happen to think that eventually none of it will matter, all the things I enjoy in my day to day life will one day go completely forgotten, remembered by nobody, if there are beings even capable of remembrance by that point. I've made my peace with it.

I don't let it get me down because it's whatever, there's nothing I can do about it anyways, so in my day to day life I'm actually more of an optimist. It just means that I, personally, lack any drive in seeing or wondering "what's out there" because to me the answer is "nothingness, eventually"

• Options
    Enlong wrote: »
    We went from alien sex to questioning our right to survive even faster than I expected.

I'm less surprised by how quickly we went back.

Good ol' SE++!

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    I don't think humanity will really go extinct unless we very, very quickly extinct ourselves. In the next few hundred generations, we may become something so different that humans of today's age wouldn't recognize our descendants, but I think we'll stick around for a long, long time.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

Then your definition of "nothing" is too broad to have any meaningful impact upon the discussion. This is just navel gazing, because we do exist, we do advance as a society, our relationships do have impact on our decisions and thinking processes. Meaning doesn't come into the equation.

We are capable of understanding the universe and having a quantifiable impact on it. The loss of that does have an impact on the universe, and so does ignoring our potential to make an impact.

• Options

When it's me, basically
    Well, how's that for narcissism.

Oh I was being flippant and you know it, the difference between "myself" and "my species" is a large one

Also it's less the loss of things that existed than the loss of things that could be

Potential lost and squandered because of self-inflicted harm or sheer unlucky coincidence is inherently tragic to me

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Extinctions happen all the time, but I don't for one moment think it needs to happen to us

• Options

I dunno

I don't think it's preferable, simply inevitable, and I don't believe humans are inherently good or evil, and even if they were, I don't think that factors into it at all

I simply believe that humanity is going to die one day, that's all. I'm not being narcissistic and thinking "oh well hopefully it happens after I'm dead!" I just realize it's a very real possibility that it may happen while I am still alive. My own life doesn't matter in this scenario, it's completely irrelevant.

As for questions like "oh what's the point in even getting up in the morning?" or things like that, yo, I dig my life here. It's pretty cool! I like seeing my family and friends, I like making memories, discovering art I've never experienced before, so on and so forth. I just also happen to think that eventually none of it will matter, all the things I enjoy in my day to day life will one day go completely forgotten, remembered by nobody, if there are beings even capable of remembrance by that point. I've made my peace with it.

I don't let it get me down because it's whatever, there's nothing I can do about it anyways, so in my day to day life I'm actually more of an optimist. It just means that I, personally, lack any drive in seeing or wondering "what's out there" because to me the answer is "nothingness, eventually"

I guess the difference between us is that I see that inevitability as something a lot further off than you do

The heat death of the universe will eventually destroy everything that exists, so no point worrying about that, but there is a point in worrying about things that can be corrected or avoided, and what's the point of anything if we don't care at least a little bit about the things we could see and could experience as individuals or as a species before eventually nothing exists at all?

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular

loss of potential

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Extinctions happen all the time, but I don't for one moment think it needs to happen to us

This is of course barring stuff like the aforementioned end of the universe

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    I mean if you look at how the natural way of things tends actually to be something being "the natural way of things" seems like a pretty good argument that that way fucking sucks. Extinction is no exception.

• Options
    edited September 2015
    In the end, all the pieces go back in the same box, but while the game is on, you can bet your ass I'm playing to win.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif