As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Warhammer: Vermintide 2 - Winds of Magic launching the 13th of August!

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Even though there's no info on console release dates, there is a sign up link for xbox one beta.

http://www.vermintide.com/xbox-beta/

• Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    The beta is live atm on steam at least.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    The NDA has also been lifted so you can now take screenshots or stream or whatever.

• Options
    RisenPhoenixRisenPhoenix SUPER HOTRegistered User regular
    If you signed up for the Beta using the link in the OP, check your inboxes. Just got mine and I only signed up a week or so ago. Installing now, looking forward to playing with some of you fine folks tonight hopefully - Steam profile is in the sig.

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Really enjoying the changes they made. Haven't unlocked any classes yet but being able to put axe and board on hunter Baradin was great to satisfy me the in the meantime. I always love shield bashing.

Trying out some Kruber and coming around to the Halbred. Just use to those dedicated Aoe or single target weapon but I think it's a good balance. Really like Merc Krub's career skill/ult. When I trigger paced strikes I become a killing machine.

Still need to dedicate time to the other classes but I love all the flavors they come in.

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    I really love the variety so far, and having active/passive abilities is a great addition. Having the potions and healing draughts glow breaks a little with the dingy aesthetic conventions of the game, but it does make everything play smoother.

Chaos is great and their hordes are scary, but they're so much beefier than their ratmen friends that it feels like when skaven do show up it's the game giving you a break, which is a bit of a shame in a game named Vermintide. This problem does feel like it has been toned down since the NDA beta, so perhaps they're aware of it? I do really like the difference in the feel of the two species, with Nurgle's army being a horde of pretty straightforward but tough grunts, supported by really hardy warriors and the occasional spellcaster, where the skaven just send oceans of trash minions at you and then try to pull off something nasty with maybe a couple of crazy gadgets at once or a hookrat hidden in the mob to pull you through the swarm.

Variety is really the name of the game here; Stormvermin have a couple of different weapon loadouts now, and even regular clanrats or cultists will come at you with maybe a spear or a weapon and a shield, or even come at you dual-wielding. Speaking of dual-wielding, the new plague monks for the rats are terrifying in the best way. All the new miniboss monsters are also awesome and there seem to be so many now that it's hard to give a complete rundown on all of them. I will say that they did a good job of keeping the old Rat Ogre interesting in comparison; he seems to be the berserker of the group, being the fastest and most aggressive, which is fitting. I believe they gave him a few new moves, as well.

There's a lot of content to chew on, and while I am pretty disappointed in a couple of things (they got rid of literally every piece of information about weapons, and you now just have to go use them to find out how they work and play, which I think is garbage) this is definitely a game that feels built for a long shelf life.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    The absolute worst thing in this game is when your entire party is hopping down one of the "breakpoints" in a mission, where you can't get back up again, and you're the last in line ...

... and that's when the Packmaster shows up. :(

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Figgy wrote: »
    So do pre-orders get into the beta tomorrow or not until the 28th?

Yes, me, yes they do.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    I loved vermintide 1, how's the beta? should i buy it now just for beta access? i love killing rats.

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    It's fun enough, but I don't think progress will carry over yet and like each class has their own levels which unlock talents and their new classes, so I'm holding off on playing too much until the 28th. Think that's when things are supposed to remain static and carry over until release.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Several of the big streamers are running the game now that it's available, so you can get an idea of what the game looks like. If you've played the first game then you already have the basics of how it works.

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    I'm loving sword and board in this. I don't end up top in any stat, but I'm definitely doing a lot of crowd control and interupts. So much fun.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    JeixJeix Registered User regular
    Seems like they got rid of damage taken from the post-mission stats. I'm really going to miss that, it was a good way to measure how my skill was improving.

• Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Oh shit! How did this sneak up on me?

• Options
    I had a rather lackluster run as the Bright Wizard just trying her out and failing at fireballs and what does a lootbox give me? A flame thrower staff. God damn I need to try this out.

Lots of the new gear I haven't gotten a chance to try yet looks rad.

Only one I've kinda bounced off on is Witch Hunter surprisingly but I think I just need to remap his side pistol to a different slot. But with the right weapon and build everyone has been pretty enjoyable.

• Options
    Karoz wrote: »
    I had a rather lackluster run as the Bright Wizard just trying her out and failing at fireballs and what does a lootbox give me? A flame thrower staff. God damn I need to try this out.

Lots of the new gear I haven't gotten a chance to try yet looks rad.

Only one I've kinda bounced off on is Witch Hunter surprisingly but I think I just need to remap his side pistol to a different slot. But with the right weapon and build everyone has been pretty enjoyable.

I've watched a few streams and it's a shame nobody seems to enjoy the wizard. Haven't seen any gameplay with her yet. She was my jam in 1.

Speaking of streams, I've watched a few and have seen the developers jump in. So if anybody has a question for the dev teams,maybe check in on the streams or check their social media? They seem to be pretty active from the little I've looked/seen.

• Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    I have been playing and enjoying the Bright Wizard, her CC is pretty amazing but her kills tend to lag behind other characters (especially the elf)
    she is a good team-play character thanks to an abundance of knockdowns but the leaderboards at the end of each map give people the impression she is weak.

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    Viking wrote: »
    I have been playing and enjoying the Bright Wizard, her CC is pretty amazing but her kills tend to lag behind other characters (especially the elf)
    she is a good team-play character thanks to an abundance of knockdowns but the leaderboards at the end of each map give people the impression she is weak.

Less competition to play as her then! I felt she was very strong in the first one, but not very flashy if played right.

The wait to hear any info for consoles is killing me. I'm ready to pre-order as soon as they'll let me. May even get an xbox one x for this.

• Options
    The fireball just had a weird arc and didn't seem to have the punch I was expecting. I saw a bright wizard do masterfully well with the one that lets you target the ground and I look forward to trying out the flamethrower staff one of these days.

I'm still more of a support person so Kruber and Baradin are more my go to heroes. It's kind of nice not being the tank class right away so I can experiment with the other two first.

• Options
    The fireball just had a weird arc and didn't seem to have the punch I was expecting. I saw a bright wizard do masterfully well with the one that lets you target the ground and I look forward to trying out the flamethrower staff one of these days.

I'm still more of a support person so Kruber and Baradin are more my go to heroes. It's kind of nice not being the tank class right away so I can experiment with the other two first.

Did you ever play the first vermintide? Not sure how much has changed with staffs, but all of them were different and provided different play style. For awhile I was big on the blast wand, damn, can't remember exact name, right click gave you basically a shotgun effect that didn't hurt teammates. Think left click was a beam to snipe.

I'm really curious how she plays now that I think on it. I feel each of the different staves provided a different play style, now you have classes on top of that.

Cannot wait to try this out. Hope it's awesome. Feel the first one got better over time, so feel confident FatShark learned from the first one with the sequel.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

If she's anything like Mages in most games, she probably starts off garbage but scales insanely with level/gear.

• Options
    Donnicton wrote: »

If she's anything like Mages in most games, she probably starts off garbage but scales insanely with level/gear.

While this was true somewhat in the first game, IE some staves were just better than others on harder difficulties or you were waiting for a stave to fit your play style, I don't feel this is the case. Like all the characters, it's mainly getting used to the abilities, and for the mage specifically, learning to manage your burn. Which, loot did help with.

• Options
    Speaking of loot, I see people picking up loot dies, but haven't seen a loot roll. Anyone care to explain how loot rolls work now?

• Options
    skyknytskyknyt Registered User, ClubPA regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    Speaking of loot, I see people picking up loot dies, but haven't seen a loot roll. Anyone care to explain how loot rolls work now?

Every Tome/Grim/Die you pick up levels up your box at the end. Quick match bonus also goes in at this point, which is worth about another tome? And then a final random dice roll is added on.

Tycho wrote:
    [skyknyt's writing] is like come kind of code that, when comprehended, unfolds into madness in the mind of the reader.
    PSN: skyknyt, Steam: skyknyt, Blizz: skyknyt#1160
  • Options
    skyknyt wrote: »

Every Tome/Grim/Die you pick up levels up your box at the end. Quick match bonus also goes in at this point, which is worth about another tome? And then a final random dice roll is added on.

Do you not see the dice roll anymore? Or is it more that everything you pick up gurantees better loot as you get it? In the first one you saw the dice roll, and it was all RNG. How does it work now?

• Options
    edited February 2018

Do you not see the dice roll anymore? Or is it more that everything you pick up gurantees better loot as you get it? In the first one you saw the dice roll, and it was all RNG. How does it work now?

No more dice rolling, you start with a basic lootbox that is "leveled up" by filling a bar from the various categories you completed. Categories are as skyknyt stated: Missions Completion, Tomes, Grims, Loot Die (funny though there is no rolling anymore), Quick Match Bonus (a pretty hefty chunk) and Ranald's Gift which is a random amount added at the end.

The higher the level the better the gear which always comes in threes. It can still be crafting material and the less exciting side trinkets but you'll also get loot from leveling up characters as well as commendation boxes. Also the loot is based on the character that opens the box to reduce, but not eliminate, getting loot for other classes.

Karoz on
  • Options

No more dice rolling, you start with a basic lootbox that is "leveled up" by filling a bar from the various categories you completed. Categories are as skyknyt stated: Missions Completion, Tomes, Grims, Loot Die (funny though there is no rolling anymore), Quick Match Bonus (a pretty hefty chunk) and Ranald's Gift which is a random amount added at the end.

The higher the level the better the gear which always comes in threes. It can still be crafting material and the less exciting side trinkets but you'll also get loot from leveling up characters as well as commendation boxes. Also the loot is based on the character that opens the box to reduce, but not eliminate, getting loot for other classes.

I think that's what was confusing me watching streams. Saw loot dice being picked up, but no dice being rolled. Watching streams it's not easy to see how the loot is being upgraded by what you do.

In game, is it pretty easy to see that your loot is being upgraded from the boosts?

• Options
    edited February 2018

I think that's what was confusing me watching streams. Saw loot dice being picked up, but no dice being rolled. Watching streams it's not easy to see how the loot is being upgraded by what you do.

In game, is it pretty easy to see that your loot is being upgraded from the boosts?
    very easy, once you complete the mission it lists the ones you collected and applies the bonus to your reward chest one at a time.
    you see a bar progress as each bonus is applied with the reward chest obviously leveling up as the bar fills

Viking on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    So I have this game now. It's pretty sweet. They made it so you have to at least pull out your sword as the bright wizard. May not be necessary as the pyro class. I like the idea of the different classes and the cool career powers they give you.

Moridin889 on
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Played quite a bit of this over the weekend. Settled on the the Wizard and Kruger. I didn't really care for the witch hunter and the other two were almost always taken.

So far the firestorm staff (flamethrower) felt the most useful and fun. It's draw back is, of course, that you loose the ability to snipe specials. I didn't like the fireball staff, the flight speed and arc of the fireballs just feels weird. I really enjoyed the bolt staff as well. Pretty solid for both crowds by using primary fire and sniping using the bolts. I only just got a conflag staff just before the beta ended so I didn't get to try it.

As far as melee weapons. I liked the mace and flaming sword. The flaming sword was especially fun with how it's power attacks appeared to be effected by your overcharge level. The sac dagger seemed nice with the speed, but didn't seem to be particularly effective, especially against chaos. I don't know why you'd use the regular sword over the flaming one.

I only got up to her second career unlock. But I immediately liked it better than the starter one. The ult felt way more useful than the teleport and since I was using the flaming sword, the lack of quick overcharge cooldown really didn't feel like much of a drawback. (Though I did take the talent that made you build overcharge more slowly)

• Options
    Tried the flamesprayer and man people are going to autoban anyone who uses that on higher difficulties if FF is turned on.

It's kinda weird that I think like others you're charging it up but I can't quite tell when it's full charged vs. just holding the charge. Murders my FPS but also murders a decent amount of rats too. Conflagration staff is still probably better though I haven't tried it.

Witcher Hunter is still so-so in my book so Baradin, Kruber and Verillian are my go to heroes at least at the start.

• Options
    Conflag staff is my favorite so far, will knock an entire horde on its ass and apply a dot. which means the party can mop up survivors pretty safely.
    It is less good against specials but my party mates were built more for that while I was more crowd control which worked very well.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    And then I unlock Ironbreaker and use a Irondrake which is basically the flamethrower staff for the dwarf. Tis awesome but you need to have the right situation and I'm pretty useless for taking out specials with it like cptrugged pointed out.

Yeah, Baradin is my main man. But it's pretty awesome seeing people playing the different classes. Saw a really good Hunter Kruber with a bow and arrow wrecking enemies from afar.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Are careers/classes unlocked by level or something else?

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Are careers/classes unlocked by level or something else?
    second class once you hit level 7, third once you hit level 12.
    talent tiers unlock every 5 levels

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    I've been watching IndiePride play Vermintide 2 on Youtube. It looks pretty nifty. I think I'm going to pick this up.

• Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Im super excited for tomorrow. Finished the "bridge" level between vermintide 1 and 2, died repeatedly on the boat from hell in the new dlc of vermintide 1. Prepares me for 2 pretty well I'd say.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    That_Guy wrote: »
    I've been watching IndiePride play Vermintide 2 on Youtube. It looks pretty nifty. I think I'm going to pick this up.

If you never played the first one picture Left 4 dead with loot, select able classes, now with action rpg aspects, differing mission objectives, loot, oh, and loot. There's no VS mode, but did I mention doing the same missions on different difficulties for loot? Because loot is awesome!

It's L4D with Loot in the Warhammer universe. It is amazing. The first one was like crack right into my veins. The lack of any console info, man, I'm falling off the wagon. Tried to sign up for the PC beta with a PC that couldn't run it, but , that sweet, sweet free hit.

The first game was awesome as a huge fan of Left 4 Dead and Diablo games I so want to see a new left 4 Dead with loot mechanics like Vermintide.

Ok, now I'm feeling even older withdrawals course through me.

• Options
    This thread is now my crack, that I get a drip feed on to sedate my fix, until I get that sweet, sweet, xbox rat action.

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Anyone heard anything about pre order loading today? I checked this morning and still no install button.