Options

Warhammer: Vermintide 2 - Winds of Magic launching the 13th of August!

1246769

Posts

  • Options
    Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I had to look up more than a few words. The dwarf uses the most terms I'm unfamiliar with.

    On a side note, are the characters in this game just generic heroes or are they popular in the Warhammer canon?

    SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
  • Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    I'm curious about that myself. The game has really made me want to learn more lore from the series. My experience with Warhammer is limited to the WAR mmo and from some of the games like Dawn of War and the like. I've always liked the little I can gleam from the lore though.

    I was looking into some books perhaps, though 40k seems to be the more popular series rather than the regular medieval style WH.

  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    So frustrated with people without voip. Had a perfectly fine run destroyed by the guy that says "nah I know how to play" at the start asspull the patrol with 6 armored rats right before the tower.

    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    SanderJK wrote: »
    So frustrated with people without voip. Had a perfectly fine run destroyed by the guy that says "nah I know how to play" at the start asspull the patrol with 6 armored rats right before the tower.

    I got unceremoniously kicked for doing exactly this. The problem is that the game never makes it clear if and where those patrols are avoidable, especially when its one of your first runs through a map. As you imply, communication is key.

  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I had to look up more than a few words. The dwarf uses the most terms I'm unfamiliar with.

    On a side note, are the characters in this game just generic heroes or are they popular in the Warhammer canon?

    They are popular archetypes, the names themselves I've never heard...though I'm not exactly steeped in Warhammer fantasy lore either.

    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    I often have a hard time spotting special enemies in time to kill them before they do a ton of damage to someone. I've been lucky to not be the one to aggro an armored patrol (yet), but often times I'm at an angle or behind an obstruction where I can't see a runner or pack master or whatever else.

    I'm just glad there aren't any witch style rats like in L4D. I was always the WORST about aggroing those damn things.

    SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    The basic L4D advice probably goes here, make sure the game sounds are louder than the music. You can hear the patrol marching, and all enemies have audio cues. Which someone should then call on voip. "Assassin around" even if you haven't spotted him yet, makes a lot of difference.
    During event phases or hordes this becomes a lot harder though. One of the reasons the game is hard is that these events are so end loaded.

    Cool little thing I learned: You can throw a barrel from quite far away onto the door, and it'll stick. Even if it's in the process of exploding.

    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    Yeah, it sounds like I definitely could stand to adjust my audio a bit.

    I also like that the characters call out for you if they spot them. Sometimes it can be hard, though, because they'll talk over each other. Like, I know you want to make fun of the dwarf every chance you can, elf, but the wizard was trying to call out a globadier.

    SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
  • Options
    SvevinSvevin Registered User regular
    Looking forward to trying this out tonight. I see that the game hasn't officially launched yet and is still in beta. Does that mean that anything I find or unlock will be reset in 4 days?

    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    Svevin wrote: »
    Looking forward to trying this out tonight. I see that the game hasn't officially launched yet and is still in beta. Does that mean that anything I find or unlock will be reset in 4 days?

    They've said all unlocks and XP earned will stay unless something catastrophic and unanticipated requires an account wipe.

    SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
  • Options
    ColumnColumn Registered User regular
    SanderJK wrote: »
    Cool little thing I learned: You can throw a barrel from quite far away onto the door, and it'll stick. Even if it's in the process of exploding.
    Can do the same with grain on the wagon map too. Seems as long as you get most of, maybe all of, the bag in the cart it sticks to a slot and counts. One bag usually doesn't matter but tossing the first four in from further back helps a lot.

  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    I'm too familiar with the warhammer lore. The particular characters aren't actual big people in the setting, although the archetypes are common. I like that approach more personally, as I always thought the best part part of the warhammer setting was the size of the world, which gave loads of budding adventurers the chance to make their careers, or end them.

    Some of the loading screens actually have dwarves translations on them, I found out from those that the dwarf has nicknames for almost everyone in the group. And yes, the world skews very dark in both characters & dialogue. If the devs are adding any more character classes, I'll be verrrrrrry curious to see what makes the cut.

  • Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Farangu wrote: »
    I'm too familiar with the warhammer lore. The particular characters aren't actual big people in the setting, although the archetypes are common. I like that approach more personally, as I always thought the best part part of the warhammer setting was the size of the world, which gave loads of budding adventurers the chance to make their careers, or end them.

    Some of the loading screens actually have dwarves translations on them, I found out from those that the dwarf has nicknames for almost everyone in the group. And yes, the world skews very dark in both characters & dialogue. If the devs are adding any more character classes, I'll be verrrrrrry curious to see what makes the cut.

    Come ooooon White Lion class.

    Wonder if we could get some orcs up in there. Would orcs and mankind set aside their difference to stem the vermin tide?

    vamen on
  • Options
    ColumnColumn Registered User regular
    vamen wrote: »
    Farangu wrote: »
    I'm too familiar with the warhammer lore. The particular characters aren't actual big people in the setting, although the archetypes are common. I like that approach more personally, as I always thought the best part part of the warhammer setting was the size of the world, which gave loads of budding adventurers the chance to make their careers, or end them.

    Some of the loading screens actually have dwarves translations on them, I found out from those that the dwarf has nicknames for almost everyone in the group. And yes, the world skews very dark in both characters & dialogue. If the devs are adding any more character classes, I'll be verrrrrrry curious to see what makes the cut.

    Come ooooon White Lion class.

    Wonder if we could get some orcs up in there. Would orcs and mankind set aside their difference to stem the vermin tide?
    I doubt there's any scenario that'd work for GW, which is fine for their novels and table top, but it's an easy and fun fix for a game like this.

    Just have the toons we have now, and any others added that make enough sense why they're working together lore wise, hurling non-stop insults while being puzzled why the hulking reptile is following them AND being helpful. Replace the Lizardmen toon from that scenario with literally any other Warhammer Fantasy race. Orc, Chaos, Vampire Counts, Tomb Kings, Dark Elves, whatever. There's a lot of very cool looking and potentially fun gameplay elements to draw on from outside the races they're most likely to stick to for any potential future content.

    Realistically if we get bonus characters they'll be the expected things though, some kind of Sigmar dude or chick from the empire, some kind of High Elf, something Bretonnian. They can fluff enough reasons the last two would be on board getting through the city and Skaven easy enough. All good looking and likely very fun things in their own right, and while I'd LOVE a heavily armored Bret knight, it's basically the same 'ol same 'ol from a these people can sometimes play nice standpoint rather than saying screw it, let's use everything like the earlier example.

    Or they could make no one happy. They'll add Age of Simar's faux Space Marines and watch the tears flow.

  • Options
    ExcisionExcision Old Sport Registered User regular
    vamen wrote: »
    Farangu wrote: »
    I'm too familiar with the warhammer lore. The particular characters aren't actual big people in the setting, although the archetypes are common. I like that approach more personally, as I always thought the best part part of the warhammer setting was the size of the world, which gave loads of budding adventurers the chance to make their careers, or end them.

    Some of the loading screens actually have dwarves translations on them, I found out from those that the dwarf has nicknames for almost everyone in the group. And yes, the world skews very dark in both characters & dialogue. If the devs are adding any more character classes, I'll be verrrrrrry curious to see what makes the cut.

    Come ooooon White Lion class.

    Wonder if we could get some orcs up in there. Would orcs and mankind set aside their difference to stem the vermin tide?

    Was wondering the same thing myself.

    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    I could imagine a chaos expansion where you're looking to subvert a (different?) city's defenses during a siege or something, but no I highly doubt any agents of chaos or greenskin would be interested in reclaiming grain sacks for a hungry populace.

  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
  • Options
    Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Folk playing this, it sounds pretty rad - worth the $20?

    A good comparison I made when deciding to purchase (and after playing):

    - I really like L4D and L4D2 (which this game draws most of it's inspiration from), both of which were $60 upon release (maybe $50 for the former?)
    - This game will have 13 levels upon release. The 3 that are included in the beta are all very distinct and fun to play.
    - 5 classes now and possibly more down the line - compare this to the L4D's which had no class distinction.
    - A fun if not slightly frustrating crafting system that allows for quite a bit of customization of each class. There are also level ups via XP which unlock more weapons, equipment slots, etc.

    I'd say check out some streams on twitch or watch Total Biscuit's WTF video about it. A big thumbs up from me, though.

    Undead Monkey on
    SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Column wrote: »
    vamen wrote: »
    Farangu wrote: »
    I'm too familiar with the warhammer lore. The particular characters aren't actual big people in the setting, although the archetypes are common. I like that approach more personally, as I always thought the best part part of the warhammer setting was the size of the world, which gave loads of budding adventurers the chance to make their careers, or end them.

    Some of the loading screens actually have dwarves translations on them, I found out from those that the dwarf has nicknames for almost everyone in the group. And yes, the world skews very dark in both characters & dialogue. If the devs are adding any more character classes, I'll be verrrrrrry curious to see what makes the cut.

    Come ooooon White Lion class.

    Wonder if we could get some orcs up in there. Would orcs and mankind set aside their difference to stem the vermin tide?
    I doubt there's any scenario that'd work for GW, which is fine for their novels and table top, but it's an easy and fun fix for a game like this.

    Just have the toons we have now, and any others added that make enough sense why they're working together lore wise, hurling non-stop insults while being puzzled why the hulking reptile is following them AND being helpful. Replace the Lizardmen toon from that scenario with literally any other Warhammer Fantasy race. Orc, Chaos, Vampire Counts, Tomb Kings, Dark Elves, whatever. There's a lot of very cool looking and potentially fun gameplay elements to draw on from outside the races they're most likely to stick to for any potential future content.

    Realistically if we get bonus characters they'll be the expected things though, some kind of Sigmar dude or chick from the empire, some kind of High Elf, something Bretonnian. They can fluff enough reasons the last two would be on board getting through the city and Skaven easy enough. All good looking and likely very fun things in their own right, and while I'd LOVE a heavily armored Bret knight, it's basically the same 'ol same 'ol from a these people can sometimes play nice standpoint rather than saying screw it, let's use everything like the earlier example.

    Or they could make no one happy. They'll add Age of Simar's faux Space Marines and watch the tears flow.

    I honestly would be a little more interested in the game if it was 40k. Make it about Inquisitorial acolytes, reuse the same combat system balanced with a little more ranged combat against whatever and I would be happy. Deathwing might be L4D 40k, but the Deathwing seem like a homogenous group so I'm not as interested in that as I am in this with it's more varied classes.

    I'm probably still going to pick this up if it ever comes on Xbone. I know at least one other friend interested in it.

  • Options
    Maledict66Maledict66 Registered User regular
    The tools for swapping over when the host disconnects are awful. It#'s bad enough you get nothing for failing a mission, but if the host DCs all progress completely. That's truly pathetic and utterly game breaking.

  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    The ME3 multiplayer had that going on, in theory if the host DCed you rolled over to another host, but much of the time you'd actually just get kicked out of the game with no progress AND having expended precious and scarce weapon and ammo mods. But ME3's multiplayer was so goddam awesome that nobody cared. Hopefully VERMINTIDE will have the same thing going for it.

  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Folk playing this, it sounds pretty rad - worth the $20?
    A good comparison I made when deciding to purchase (and after playing):

    - I really like L4D and L4D2 (which this game draws most of it's inspiration from), both of which were $60 upon release (maybe $50 for the former?)
    - This game will have 13 levels upon release. The 3 that are included in the beta are all very distinct and fun to play.
    - 5 classes now and possibly more down the line - compare this to the L4D's which had no class distinction.
    - A fun if not slightly frustrating crafting system that allows for quite a bit of customization of each class. There are also level ups via XP which unlock more weapons, equipment slots, etc.

    I'd say check out some streams on twitch or watch Total Biscuit's WTF video about it. A big thumbs up from me, though.
    I love L4D, which is what has me interested. Been watching Cohh stream and saw TB's vid already. Think I'll pick it up.

  • Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    jdarksun wrote: »
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Folk playing this, it sounds pretty rad - worth the $20?
    A good comparison I made when deciding to purchase (and after playing):

    - I really like L4D and L4D2 (which this game draws most of it's inspiration from), both of which were $60 upon release (maybe $50 for the former?)
    - This game will have 13 levels upon release. The 3 that are included in the beta are all very distinct and fun to play.
    - 5 classes now and possibly more down the line - compare this to the L4D's which had no class distinction.
    - A fun if not slightly frustrating crafting system that allows for quite a bit of customization of each class. There are also level ups via XP which unlock more weapons, equipment slots, etc.

    I'd say check out some streams on twitch or watch Total Biscuit's WTF video about it. A big thumbs up from me, though.
    I love L4D, which is what has me interested. Been watching Cohh stream and saw TB's vid already. Think I'll pick it up.

    There is a lot less shooting, but what shooting is there is solid. And the melee is SO, so satisfying.

    vamen on
  • Options
    ColumnColumn Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Folk playing this, it sounds pretty rad - worth the $20?
    It's a team survival game above all else. You can hack and slash like it's an action game on Easy and Normal, to a certain extent, but at Hard a modicum of teamplay is required to succeed. On Nightmare and Cataclysm, when friendly fire for ranged attacks but not melee attacks kick in, you really need competent teammates. You can carry a team through the vanilla Skaven even on the harder difficulties but eventually they'll be a special Skaven spawn who can wipe the team easily if everyone is off doing their own thing.

    You can shoot at range with anyone but melee is a very important system you'll have to use too. There's a lot going on with it too. Armor piercing and headshot attributes giving you reason to target your swings, faster and weaker attacks, stronger and slower attacks, AoE versus single target swings, dodge left, right, and back, and even a block system. Detailed enough to make melee fun for far more people than not, since there's more to do than smash left click like melee in most first person games. For both melee and ranged getting head shots is encouraged and rewarded, overall is done pretty well here rather than having head shots for the sake of head shots too.

    There is a loot system. The affixes themselves aren't make or break for an item, basically happy bonuses you'll see from time to time but won't rely on to win. Where it does matter is damage, since the higher tiers do offer more damage per hit. So while you can beat maps on the hardest difficulty with the starting items with a good group, instead of taking three or four hits to kill X baddie, it could be one, two, or three with a better tier of weapon.

    All this comes together to make a fun but difficult game where you REALLY want to play nice with your team, you're only soloing the levels when the AI director gets lazy and you just get hilariously lucky with spawns. It also means actually learning the weapons, their animations, and head shot, armor piercing, etc. quirks as skillful play is rewarded on any difficulty but required above Hard. Not insanely stupid and silly levels of it, but just knowing when to use a slow and strong charge attack swing then backstepping to reposisiton versus something else. These things sound A LOT more complicated, obtuse, and frustrating in print than they are in game one you've run a few maps.

    The major comparison would be the Left 4 Dead series. I personally haven't played it a ton, but if you've ever played L4D1 or 2 you recognize everything they're going for with a Warhammer twist. Body outlines, the constant chatter for immersion purposes but also game play assistance (i.e. "Health here!" Special rat over that way!"), marking special enemies and items, and so on. If you like L4D at all you're probably gonna be down with this too, but melee is a big factor, you aren't just shooting zombies.

    My only real gripe with the game play at the moment is how uneven the difficulty can be. The spawn system seems to be much closer to truly random than layers of randomness. On the end of one of the maps as the last hurrah you have to get five bags of grain to your getaway carriage, which means running through a truly endless horde of man sized rats with some special spawns mixed in. If you only get a rat ogre (tank from L4D basically), you're more than likely fine. If you get a rat ogre and two assassins (guys that pin you down similar to another L4D special zombie), which happened to me last time I played that map, you're basically dead. There's only so much you can do in situations like that second example where RNG just says no. It's also not an easy fix. I emphasized knowing what your tools can do earlier because with a good team it's amazing what you can get through even with atrocious RNG spawns. With a terrible team it's amazing how easily and fast you wipe when playing Easy.

    I'm going to bullet point some highlights of the spoiled for scroll bar sake, but while it's long I think it's worth reading in full for the "Will I like it?" question.
    -Like Left 4 Dead 1/2? Then you'll probably like this. It was obviously inspired in many, many ways by the overall design and systems from that series.
    -Like Warhammer? It makes good use of the license.
    -Like team survival games? Then that's what this is, even on the easier difficulties.
    -Fun first person melee. Do more than just flail with left mouse clicks without being overly complicated where it feels like a first person fighting game.
    -Skill shots. Both ranged and melee attack reward head shots and a general ability to aim.
    -There's a loot system. The affixes can, essentially, be ignored but you do get rewarded by having better tiers of weapons damage wise. On the hardest difficulty the highest tier weapons kill things in a hit or two, where the starting weapons take four or five swings. Game is entirely beatable with starting gear no matter the difficulty setting, personal skill and team play skill matter FAR more than stats.
    -The game is challenging. It's, overall, a fun and fair challenge but sometimes the random nature of spawns, especially special enemy spawns, will test the heck out of your team.
    -It doesn't seem too buggy for most people. Some crashes if you're an unlucky person but the devs are taking logs and constantly looking into it on the Steam forums.
    -Isn't the most optimized game yet hardware wise, and while that should change in four days on release, no one's sure just how optimized the release version is.

  • Options
    Maledict66Maledict66 Registered User regular
    Fairchild wrote: »
    The ME3 multiplayer had that going on, in theory if the host DCed you rolled over to another host, but much of the time you'd actually just get kicked out of the game with no progress AND having expended precious and scarce weapon and ammo mods. But ME3's multiplayer was so goddam awesome that nobody cared. Hopefully VERMINTIDE will have the same thing going for it.

    No - I've had multiple disconnects on Me3 games, and generally the game carries on after the host disconnects. It was also faster than this in general it feels.

    ME3 at lest *had* a system for disconnects. this has nothing at all - it just instantly throws you back to the start of the map with a poor random person who then gets to have everyone in the group vanish. It's incredibly poor.

  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Column wrote: »

    Confirmed it's there, just got it in a supply run.

  • Options
    ColumnColumn Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Kadoken wrote: »
    I honestly would be a little more interested in the game if it was 40k. Make it about Inquisitorial acolytes, reuse the same combat system balanced with a little more ranged combat against whatever and I would be happy. Deathwing might be L4D 40k, but the Deathwing seem like a homogenous group so I'm not as interested in that as I am in this with it's more varied classes.

    I'm probably still going to pick this up if it ever comes on Xbone. I know at least one other friend interested in it.
    They've mentioned it in passing on the Steam forums that there's supposed to be a console version Q1 2016.

    For the 40k version you've got Space Hulk: Deathwing. Different company, and I've yet to see a gameplay video of it, but there's some in game screen shots floating around from E3 and elsewhere. Hopefully it's at least as good as this is so far whenever it finally comes out.

    Totally glossed over like half that apparently with you already mentioning Deathwing. Oh well, leaving the vid links in there for those who like Warhammer in all its flavors and hadn't heard of Deathwing yet.

    Column on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Maledict66 wrote: »
    Fairchild wrote: »
    The ME3 multiplayer had that going on, in theory if the host DCed you rolled over to another host, but much of the time you'd actually just get kicked out of the game with no progress AND having expended precious and scarce weapon and ammo mods. But ME3's multiplayer was so goddam awesome that nobody cared. Hopefully VERMINTIDE will have the same thing going for it.

    No - I've had multiple disconnects on Me3 games, and generally the game carries on after the host disconnects. It was also faster than this in general it feels.

    ME3 at lest *had* a system for disconnects. this has nothing at all - it just instantly throws you back to the start of the map with a poor random person who then gets to have everyone in the group vanish. It's incredibly poor.

    ME3 was a 60 dollar game, with a rumored 125m dollar budget, using the Unreal engine and network stack that had over a decade of development on it.

    This is a 30 dollar game, that most likely had a budget fifty to a hundred times smaller and was made by a relatively small team.

    It's fine to have a complaint, but your hyperbole about it (it's not nearly as game breaking as you want to act like it is...don't play with randos), and comparisons to a game that cost twice as much to buy, and a couple of orders of magnitude more to make, makes the complaint ring hollow.

    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2015
    Ok the grimoire's that half your health are stupid. They need to disable them in PUG's so people can't grief the team by picking them up.

    e:
    Also if someone is down but not dead, it needs to let me activate elevators and shit. I shouldn't fail the mission because I can't get through a horde of enemies to save one guy.

    Morkath on
  • Options
    CroakerCroaker Registered User regular
    Grimoires are great. You just need to communicate with your team about taking one, two, or none. They don't halve health, it's 25% each.

    I'm at 3 out of 4 on two grimoire runs with pugs on normal. It's not that bad.

  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    I feel like I'm improving quite a bit, I know I'll never be a star player because of crappy reaction times on precision shots (so I shouldn't be the guy in charge of headshotting specials) but you can get a lot out of this game by playing the mechanics.
    Been playing the dwarf with Yoshua as a newbie and a very competent French player (and his ok friend), and there's definitely some fun in swiping a bunch of rats aside as the rest of the people kill them. What the statscreen doesn't tell is just how big that knockback is. Though it only works if your party isn't terrible.
    I actually really like the elf with the longbow. The shot pierces so it can take out multiple commons on hard, and the 2 daggers are really fast so if you can keep enemies in front of you, you've pretty much won.

    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    They also need to fix the hook rat, he can grab you through the level separators you can't go back through.

    Croaker the problem is, you can get one, everyone agrees to not get the other so you can actually finish, then someone can grab it anyway and screw the team.

  • Options
    drunkenpandarendrunkenpandaren Slapping all the goblin ham In the top laneRegistered User regular
    Column wrote: »
    Kadoken wrote: »
    I honestly would be a little more interested in the game if it was 40k. Make it about Inquisitorial acolytes, reuse the same combat system balanced with a little more ranged combat against whatever and I would be happy. Deathwing might be L4D 40k, but the Deathwing seem like a homogenous group so I'm not as interested in that as I am in this with it's more varied classes.

    I'm probably still going to pick this up if it ever comes on Xbone. I know at least one other friend interested in it.
    They've mentioned it in passing on the Steam forums that there's supposed to be a console version Q1 2016.

    For the 40k version you've got Space Hulk: Deathwing. Different company, and I've yet to see a gameplay video of it, but there's some in game screen shots floating around from E3 and elsewhere. Hopefully it's at least as good as this is so far whenever it finally comes out.

    Totally glossed over like half that apparently with you already mentioning Deathwing. Oh well, leaving the vid links in there for those who like Warhammer in all its flavors and hadn't heard of Deathwing yet.

    Here's some off screen gameplay for Deathwing. Made by the people who made E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy!

    Origin: HaxtonWasHere
    Steam: pandas_gota_gun
  • Options
    Maledict66Maledict66 Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Maledict66 wrote: »
    Fairchild wrote: »
    The ME3 multiplayer had that going on, in theory if the host DCed you rolled over to another host, but much of the time you'd actually just get kicked out of the game with no progress AND having expended precious and scarce weapon and ammo mods. But ME3's multiplayer was so goddam awesome that nobody cared. Hopefully VERMINTIDE will have the same thing going for it.

    No - I've had multiple disconnects on Me3 games, and generally the game carries on after the host disconnects. It was also faster than this in general it feels.

    ME3 at lest *had* a system for disconnects. this has nothing at all - it just instantly throws you back to the start of the map with a poor random person who then gets to have everyone in the group vanish. It's incredibly poor.

    ME3 was a 60 dollar game, with a rumored 125m dollar budget, using the Unreal engine and network stack that had over a decade of development on it.

    This is a 30 dollar game, that most likely had a budget fifty to a hundred times smaller and was made by a relatively small team.

    It's fine to have a complaint, but your hyperbole about it (it's not nearly as game breaking as you want to act like it is...don't play with randoms), and comparisons to a game that cost twice as much to buy, and a couple of orders of magnitude more to make, makes the complaint ring hollow.

    I'm sorry, I'm not going to defend a games bad faults because its a small company. They don't need gamers to defend them, they can do that themself. Complaining about things lets designers know how important they are to fix, and hopefully gets them addressed.

    The cost of the game is immaterial - the system is self-evidently *dumb*, and given how the rest of the game works incredibly punishing. It's not just with randoms - everyone's internet cuts out every so often. It happened in our group of 4, as well as with randoms today. I don't think it's an excuse to say "don't play with randoms" - sorry, but that's just not viable or fun! I can't think of any other online game that will penalise you so much for a random player in your group dropping, and that has no system that even attempts to cope with that sort of issue.

    The system is bad. Very bad. Combined with the lack of reward for failing a mission and it's a recipe for trouble that could, and should be addressed. With the returns policy on steam, and the EU rules about 14 day return, I know a number of people (myself included) who are now getting a return on the game purely because of this issue. Given that our little group has suffered through most MMO launches I think that indicates how frustrating it is - not being able to play de to server problems is one thing, but losing all your progress is far worse. That cannot be what the designers want.

    Maledict66 on
  • Options
    ColumnColumn Registered User regular
    Morkath wrote: »
    Also if someone is down but not dead, it needs to let me activate elevators and shit. I shouldn't fail the mission because I can't get through a horde of enemies to save one guy.
    Partly due to me needing to dip out at any minute but also partly do to bad groups the bold is something I love about setting it to private and plowing through a smuggler run with bots. You can activate the carriage as you're walking up the ramp and when it closes it counts all three bots being in the carriage as alive for EXP purposes. Doing bot runs on the smuggler map on Hard at this point breaks down to does a hook rat spawn and I miss my skill shot to one shot him? If yes, I'm probably failing the map. If no, climb ladder out of sewer to carriage of freedom and terrible dice rolls even if the rest of the team is downed and sacrificing themselves for my betterment.

    That map with bots is like a video game version of Legends of the Hidden Temple. Sprint through the rooms ASAP with no issues like no team before us. Built the silver monkey, found a prize, didn't get grabbed by any trees in the haunted wood, opened the hidden door with the peg first hole I slammed it in, we got it all down on auto-pilot. Then at the end, on the last room to get out of the temple and win big, I see a temple guard. Only this time it's not a stupid amulet I built answering trivia questions I'm relying on, it's can I pop a gat in the guards head before I'm grabbed for sweet, sweet Nickelodeon prize money.

  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    This game is phenomenal:

    Its like Destiny Raids, except I'm doing them. Its like they're making matches for me with other players or something.

    Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    I'll be getting some grub shortly, and then would love to kill rats with folks.

    To quote Rius:

    "I'm throwing up the ratsignal, as it were"

  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I am unfairly wanting this to be a 40k game, because that's all I vaguely know.

    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Cantido wrote: »
    I am unfairly wanting this to be a 40k game, because that's all I vaguely know.

    I am guilty of this as well.

    The entire time I was thinking to myself, "Man, this style of gameplay would be amazing in a Space Hulk setting!".

    Looks like I may get my wish.

    Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
Sign In or Register to comment.