Options

Warhammer: Vermintide 2 - Winds of Magic launching the 13th of August!

• Options
    KiasKias Registered User regular
    Assuming it is back up and running, I will be hopping on if anyone is interested in playing!

steam_sig.png

• Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    So I was farming smuggler's run on Nightmare and finally got my first legendary. Witch Hunter Rapier of awesomeness. It's stupid how much more powerful the thing is.

Also if you guys haven't seen the AMA already. https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/3po3qm/we_are_fatshark_developers_of_warhammer/

CEO all but confirmed Chaos are the next enemy type. Also no micro transactions.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    So, I have run into a problem a couple of times where the map will suddenly reset the whole party back to the beginning. Anyone know what causes that?

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    i'm guessing the host dc and the rest of the party chose a new host

http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • Options
    i'm guessing the host dc and the rest of the party chose a new host

Ahh, you are right. Reading the Reddit it seems that's the current behavior of the host migration, which they are looking to replace with dedicated servers.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    http://steamcommunity.com/groups/pa_ve

Created a Steam group for all us exterminators.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ExcisionExcision Old Sport Registered User regular
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    Wow, just came here to see if there was a vent/teamspeak/group for this game.

I don't have it, but I was curious about it. Hearing good things so far?

• Options
    ColumnColumn Registered User regular
    Wow, just came here to see if there was a vent/teamspeak/group for this game.

I don't have it, but I was curious about it. Hearing good things so far?
    Very, very good game. A few kinks to work out but been a blast.
    Column wrote: »
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Folk playing this, it sounds pretty rad - worth the $20?
    It's a team survival game above all else. You can hack and slash like it's an action game on Easy and Normal, to a certain extent, but at Hard a modicum of teamplay is required to succeed. On Nightmare and Cataclysm, when friendly fire for ranged attacks but not melee attacks kick in, you really need competent teammates. You can carry a team through the vanilla Skaven even on the harder difficulties but eventually they'll be a special Skaven spawn who can wipe the team easily if everyone is off doing their own thing.

You can shoot at range with anyone but melee is a very important system you'll have to use too. There's a lot going on with it too. Armor piercing and headshot attributes giving you reason to target your swings, faster and weaker attacks, stronger and slower attacks, AoE versus single target swings, dodge left, right, and back, and even a block system. Detailed enough to make melee fun for far more people than not, since there's more to do than smash left click like melee in most first person games. For both melee and ranged getting head shots is encouraged and rewarded, overall is done pretty well here rather than having head shots for the sake of head shots too.

There is a loot system. The affixes themselves aren't make or break for an item, basically happy bonuses you'll see from time to time but won't rely on to win. Where it does matter is damage, since the higher tiers do offer more damage per hit. So while you can beat maps on the hardest difficulty with the starting items with a good group, instead of taking three or four hits to kill X baddie, it could be one, two, or three with a better tier of weapon.

All this comes together to make a fun but difficult game where you REALLY want to play nice with your team, you're only soloing the levels when the AI director gets lazy and you just get hilariously lucky with spawns. It also means actually learning the weapons, their animations, and head shot, armor piercing, etc. quirks as skillful play is rewarded on any difficulty but required above Hard. Not insanely stupid and silly levels of it, but just knowing when to use a slow and strong charge attack swing then backstepping to reposisiton versus something else. These things sound A LOT more complicated, obtuse, and frustrating in print than they are in game one you've run a few maps.

The major comparison would be the Left 4 Dead series. I personally haven't played it a ton, but if you've ever played L4D1 or 2 you recognize everything they're going for with a Warhammer twist. Body outlines, the constant chatter for immersion purposes but also game play assistance (i.e. "Health here!" Special rat over that way!"), marking special enemies and items, and so on. If you like L4D at all you're probably gonna be down with this too, but melee is a big factor, you aren't just shooting zombies.

My only real gripe with the game play at the moment is how uneven the difficulty can be. The spawn system seems to be much closer to truly random than layers of randomness. On the end of one of the maps as the last hurrah you have to get five bags of grain to your getaway carriage, which means running through a truly endless horde of man sized rats with some special spawns mixed in. If you only get a rat ogre (tank from L4D basically), you're more than likely fine. If you get a rat ogre and two assassins (guys that pin you down similar to another L4D special zombie), which happened to me last time I played that map, you're basically dead. There's only so much you can do in situations like that second example where RNG just says no. It's also not an easy fix. I emphasized knowing what your tools can do earlier because with a good team it's amazing what you can get through even with atrocious RNG spawns. With a terrible team it's amazing how easily and fast you wipe when playing Easy.

I'm going to bullet point some highlights of the spoiled for scroll bar sake, but while it's long I think it's worth reading in full for the "Will I like it?" question.
    -Like Left 4 Dead 1/2? Then you'll probably like this. It was obviously inspired in many, many ways by the overall design and systems from that series.
    -Like Warhammer? It makes good use of the license.
    -Like team survival games? Then that's what this is, even on the easier difficulties.
    -Fun first person melee. Do more than just flail with left mouse clicks without being overly complicated where it feels like a first person fighting game.
    -Skill shots. Both ranged and melee attack reward head shots and a general ability to aim.
    -There's a loot system. The affixes can, essentially, be ignored but you do get rewarded by having better tiers of weapons damage wise. On the hardest difficulty the highest tier weapons kill things in a hit or two, where the starting weapons take four or five swings. Game is entirely beatable with starting gear no matter the difficulty setting, personal skill and team play skill matter FAR more than stats.
    -The game is challenging. It's, overall, a fun and fair challenge but sometimes the random nature of spawns, especially special enemy spawns, will test the heck out of your team.
    -It doesn't seem too buggy for most people. Some crashes if you're an unlucky person but the devs are taking logs and constantly looking into it on the Steam forums.
    -Isn't the most optimized game yet hardware wise, and while that should change in four days on release, no one's sure just how optimized the release version is.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    As much as I like Bright Wizard, there's just something so wonderful about hearing the satisfying crunch of bones and flesh that you hear when crushing the skull or cracking the back of a rat using the soldier's war maul. Or using the charged swing to blow a wave of Skaven across the room like Sauron at the start of the LOTR movies.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Tidbits from the AMA for those too lazy to read through it:
    Hey guys, loving the game so far. I understand that you're probably focusing on finishing/polishing the game at the moment, but can you comment on Host Migration? I feel like it's the number 1 feature the game is missing at the moment. Thanks.

fatshark_martin CEO, Fatshark
    We are planing on dedicated servers and will evaluate how to work with host migration. Right now we migrate and restart the level.
    fatshark_victor Game Designer, Vermintide
    We have no plans to add Microtransaction to the game. (Heard that one before ? :D)
    Are you ready to talk about dlc? What kind of (paid) content do you want to priorotice? Weapons, cosmetics, characters, maps? Is there anything thats out of the question for you?

We are still discussing how to approach DLCs. We will have both free and paid DLCs but we are going to start off by a free one for sure. We will add a lot of different things in DLCs. Maps, enemies, weapons and so forth.

More Skavens yes, as well as other races.
    How do you feel about a possible integration of Steam-Workshop and Community market for Vermintide?

This is something we will look into post launch. Steam workshop is a really cool feature and something goes well with the Warhammer Fantasy Battle hobby. :)
    Do you have plans to encourage people to play all missions instead of just farming the same map over and over again?

Hi! There is no mechanic in the release version of the game to encourage players not to replay the same level over and over. But we will add systems to encourage players to change things up if we find that this is a problem.
    We will also balance the levels if we find that one level if far easier or far harder than the other levels.
    How about some kind of 'daily'; play this map and receive a bonus roll, something like this which you could do once a day?

Some form of "dailies" is something we have discussed quite a lot and is something that we are discussing to add down the line if it is something we feel the community would like to see.
    During the development, or even now, and since L4D is a heavy inspiration, have you guys considered Mutations, weekly variations on the standard game mode? Especially if they were map specific, this would help keep the game varied, maybe offer a bonus loot or something for First Mutation Of The Week

Yes Mutations is something that we definitely been talking about but we decided to wait until we are finished with the game to have a better grasp of what types of mutations would be the most fun. And also let the community have a chance to chime in with their thoughts.
    Asuming you're gonna release new missions in the future, are you gonna stick to Ubersreik or do you wanna visit more distant locations?

Fatshark-Stormdal Producer, Vermintide
    Its a little bit early to tell but of course we are excited to explore the Empire, old world and the entire world of Warhammer. We will start out in Ubersreik and its surroundings but there is no way to tell where the future will take us.
    Hello! I know there will be more maps available at launch on Friday than there are at the moment. Are there any plans to release further content in the future after launch?

Hi,
    Yes with the fantastic support from the players we will be able to continue to work on the game post launch. We are now fully committed to continue to produce new content of all kind. Of course we have a lot of ideas already but we will also listen to the players and see what they wish for.
    Not to suggest I don't think there's enough as it is (I'm very happy with the five we already have), but out of curiosity, are there any plans kicking around to add in more playable characters?

When we picked these five, we started out with almost fifty different races and careers and had a really hard time choosing, but we are really happy with how they turned out.
    We do though have a lot of plans, almost anything can be found in them. ;)
    Are you guys planning on making any changes to the melee range of the vermin? There is a huge disconnect between the models and the massive range that they are actually capable of. I feel like the models need to be changed to reflect this or they just need to have their range shortened.

One problem with the range of the Skavens that we havent really had time to completely solve is playing the game in different FOV will change how far you perceive the attackers to be from you.
    The game is designed to be played at the default 65 FOV but we decided to add a slider so players could set it to whatever FOV they preferred knowing that this would in some aspects make the game look a bit of. We are aiming to do something about this but we have not had the time to remedy it for the time being. We felt it was more important that the game was enjoyable for players that prefer higher FOV than to limit it to only 65.
    Hi, what kind of plans do you have for "end-game"? I've bought the game and played the beta for a while now, but I don't see much of a point to keep playing the game once you geared up one or two characters. Is there any other content except for the 12 maps planed?

First completing the missions on the harder difficulty levels are something that we feel is an end game. Getting the most advanced weapons are also a feat we see as a long term goal for then players. Having said that our first free DLC will target a lot of end game stuff. I dont want to spoil more right now. ;)
    Will there be a PVP mode where you try to stop the group from reaching the objective?

We are focusing 100% on coop for the time being. Since we are a small indie company we really need to avoid splitting our internal focus too much. One thing at a time. :)

We wanted to start with one game mode so we dont split up the community. But we will add more game modes over time. Survival is something we have looked into quite a lot.

• Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    Also, for anyone new to the game, there is only a slight weight towards getting loot towards the class you are currently playing. The items you get are going to be spread across each class, so it ends up being much more fun to switch between all the classes, instead of just picking a favorite. This also helps when grouping with others, because you can't have multiples of the same character in one game.

• Options
    I have also found it is better to run the easy sewer mission for fast crappy loot as a new player, than keep trying and failing at other missions and receive nothing for my time.

Speaking of which, there are no Tomes / Grimoires in the sewer mission, so save yourself some time and just speed run it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Yea, from what I understand there are main missions that are tougher and take more time (but have bonus die like tome/grimoire), and side missions that are a little easier and faster (but no bonus die).

• Options
    ExcisionExcision Old Sport Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    I got a harquebus for the Empire guy, it's pretty much a sniper rifle. So good when you see a hookrat, globadier or rattling coming up or behind you.

Excision on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Apparently it's fairly easy to run nightmare with bots on the sewer compared to hard grimoire / tome runs in pugs.

I think I may try that tomorrow, probably also a good way to learn to read mob attacks better.

There are still times where I misjudge fighting a few basic rats and get swiped, need to get gud.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    As I've said a few times now, running the smuggler sewer maps with bots is trivially easy. Like 8 to 9 times outt 'a 10 on Hard you're going to win. The bots stack on you with zero issues EXCEPT for when a special spawns. The AI loses its mind and MUST hunt down any special, even if it literally, and I truly mean literally, running all the way back to the start of the damn map to find the gas rat (Gobadier) they just started whining about as you jump down to cut the rope, open the gate, and now can't get back up to where they are. If you hear anyone mention a special rat just stop what you're doing and wait for them to go running off. Then follow them. Once the special is down they'll stack back on you and you're good to keep going.

I've started taking a little more time at the end and sitting in the jail cell looking area just before the last hallway leading to the ladder out of the sewer and that funnels the final swarm or two into an easy kill zone. Also eliminates the issues with hook rats (Packmaster) and assassins (Gutter Walker) I was having every now and then using the ladder room as a choke point since it also works well. Rat ogres can still be iffy at times in that area but usually I can just run to the wagon by myself while the bots lose their minds on the ogre to still finish the map if I can't easily help them take the ogre down.

You can still get bonus dice on smuggler too, I think the most I've got is four in one run, but it's purely RNG. Two from a sack rat and two from chests that run. There's no tomes or grimoires as mentioned, but if you need to know if a map has them check the achievements. There's something like six or seven achievements for getting all tomes on a map. This holds true going into release as far as we know from the NDA beta, current beta, and comments in passing from devs, even though it may change after release.

Column on
  • Options
    CroakerCroaker Registered User regular
    Level 20 and I still have only gotten some pretty terrible blues from the loot system. I'm not its biggest fan. I took a bunch of mediocre ones and made an even more mediocre exotic axe for the Witch Hunter with them. It was not a good idea.

I'm still missing some basic item types too. Haven't ever seen a hammer & shield for my beloved dwarf. A currency system in addition to the RNG would be nice. (Not IAP, mind. Just want to buy things.)

• Options
    Yeah, I'm sorta regretting fusing / salvaging my Dwarfs starter hammer & shield. I love how a lot of the dwarf weapons have armor pierce on standard attacks especially.

On the other hand, my Knight has gotten an amazing blue sword & shield, that procs a 5% heal on 3.5% of his regular swings.

Trinkets are another hard to get item, I've managed to get 2 green ones, a 10% chance to keep a heal item, and another one with 2% chance to poison on attack.

My Bright wizard is also fully kitted out with a blue Conflag staff that can proc a self heal, and a blue sword with sparkle effects for when i'm not using my staff (ie: Tavern).

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    I much prefer the axe to the hammer though. You have to hit mobs 2, sometimes 3 times with the hammer, it's damage is so slow, and the animation isn't fast either. The axes swing is narrower but I'd rather kill 1 dude than halfkill 2 or 3.

• Options
    I just want a shield on my Dwarf. I get plenty of 1h weapons with no shields in the off hand, and plenty of 2h weapons.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I've always been one die roll off of a trinket whenever a trinket has shown up, always. Never won a single one yet.

My BW does however have a sword with a 15% chance to instantly kill "man-sized" targets, which is basically anything smaller than a Rat Ogre, from testing. I've seen it instantly kill a Black Rat on at least one occasion, though I wouldn't go out of my way to make a habit of jousting with them to get it to activate.

I also have a fireball staff with +15% attack speed and -10% heat generation, and it has been getting a lot of mileage - the bolts are plenty to one-shot ratlings on hard. However I really want to get a good beam staff and see what I could do to a rat ogre. Incendiary Bomb stacks plus a BW to keep the burn dot maxed out melts the ogre faster than water on the witch of the west.

• Options
    I manged to get a blue trinket that add 50% to luck. No one knows exactly what luck does at this point, which means I'm never going to be able to take it off.... I mean, what if luck helps dice rolls, which will eventually get me better items? :P

• Options
    edited October 2015
    It supposedly affects what tends to be in chests. But it only affects the trinket holder from what I understand, so you have to actually be opening the chests.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    Donnicton wrote: »
    It supposedly affects what tends to be in chests. But it only affects the trinket holder from what I understand, so you have to actually be opening the chests.

I heard that too, but I've also heard NPCs talk about healing items found in chests before they are open, which makes me think the chest items are created when the map loads. For me, it does not really matter. I'm always a sucker for a luck stat boost.

• Options
    OMG, apparently the trinkets are represented on your character model, so my Bright Wizard has been running around with a fish swinging off her coat.

Also, I really really want to figure out the purpose of the Explosive Cask/Barrel in the Smugglers Run. One of these days I may have to carry one all the way to the end cart even.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I think they're just objects. The behave the same as the horn barrels.
    They explode and hurt players.

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Can't wait to play this tomorrow, won't be getting back home until midday. Hope everyone hasn't outleveled and outgeared me =)

• Options
    Game is live and running, hurray. 13.7gb download took a while though.

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm sorta regretting fusing / salvaging my Dwarfs starter hammer & shield. I love how a lot of the dwarf weapons have armor pierce on standard attacks especially.

FYI the 1 handed hammer with or without shield is the only dwarf weapon without armor piercing on standard attacks.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    So if you didn't know strength/speed potions are the bees knees. Strength potions even work on bombs. Str+bomb can take out a patrol of stormvermin instantly.

It's immensely satisfying. Also I have a trinket that increases bomb radius by 50%. Everything dies. Everything.

Also the game's themesong should be
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCadcBR95oU

Because pushing and slashing nonstop is the best way to handle a horde.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    Couple more notes, the town we are fighting in is Ubersomething, and we are killing overgrown rats, we are the Uber Exterminators/Slayers (once the other faction enemies are released).

Its interesting to me that weapons each seem to add 25% bonus damage for each rarity level it is, which roughly keeps track with the bonus health of skaven on harder difficulties.
    Picking up grimoires both reduce your health pool (functionally increasing damage taken) and increase enemy difficulty (increasing enemy HP & swarm numbers). Picking up both grimoires in a map is effectively increasing the difficulty by 1 or 2 ranks.

I swear, every time I run a group now, I have to tell them no grimoires, because I am far more interested in completing the mission and getting a reward, than getting a slightly better chance at better loot (roughly 10% per grimoire), a small amount of bonus XP, and a far greater chance at failing the mission.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The rest of the levels are fun, though I think Horn of Magnus is still going to be "the" loot farm map for hard+, due to its relative simplicity and comparative ease. Smugglers or the Blackpowder map will be for material speed farms.

• Options
    I need to solo run Supply & Demand a bunch to figure out just where the hell the tomes are. Its a fairly fun map, and breaks the monotony of Horn & Smugglers.

I'm not a fan of Wizards Tower though, probably because I just haven't run it enough. Also interesting factoid: the name of the Grey Wizard (master of illusions) you are saving, is Cristoph Engel.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mellestadmellestad Registered User regular
    I <3 this game.

That is all.

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    Noticed several people from here playing, been having a good bit of fun with this. Steam profile is as follows, but note that I've only played a little so far so I"m not decked out or anything.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/chaceincase/

feel free to hit me up anytime and I'll try to hop in and play some rounds.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    VaeVae Registered User regular
    The only thing that will make this game more fun is playing with voice chat.

I'll throw out some invites to those in the OP, feel free to add me!

http://steamcommunity.com/id/VaeAsmadi/

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Joined the group.

So far I've played one game but I love it so far. I'd love to get in some games with ya'll. Sidenote _ currently at home from work with strep so voice chat is a no go for now, hah.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    Two rat ogres in one level

One of which spawned and started swinging before the intro cutscene ended

What

• Options
    Gumpy wrote: »
    Two rat ogres in one level

One of which spawned and started swinging before the intro cutscene ended

What
    Two in one level is pretty common on Hard and above, even on short maps. I've got three on smuggler at least once; one before cutting the first rope, one between the first and second ropes, then third one after cutting the second rope and heading to the ladder.

The second issue sounds like you joined a map in progress. Since you're taking the place of a bot if the map's already chugging along sometimes you spawn into the middle of a fight and some glorious nonsense.

If you mean the intro before a level starts after leaving the inn and sitting through the loading screen, that's the first I've ever heard of that. If so, what map was it?