As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Warhammer: Vermintide 2 - Winds of Magic launching the 13th of August!

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Been poking through the meteor mission with everyone to unlock the new weapons, did they add essence gains to all nonwinds missions or just that one? Because I have definitely been getting essence.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    TetraRayTetraRay Registered User regular
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    Been poking through the meteor mission with everyone to unlock the new weapons, did they add essence gains to all nonwinds missions or just that one? Because I have definitely been getting essence.

I think all

Steam ID: TetraRay
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Aye, figured that out after asking, didn't bother coming back to edit post. Also, made it to the Celestial winds and boy does that shit not fuck around.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
  • Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Strippin's characters are all on an alt Steam account so he is restarting on his primary account with three buddies (Crendor, Gmart, Benji). He wisely turned on Twitch integration and accidentally set it to vote every thirty seconds (or whatever the lowest setting is)...

Dirtyboy on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Anyone up tonight?

• Options
    Official launch day for Winds of Magic, and we've got a patch in.
    The magic amulet is now shared across all heroes and careers. Any excess essence spent on amulet upgrades has been refunded.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    they retuned stagger partway through the beta and it plays so much better now

also kerillian's spear+shield is such a dope weapon, it feels like what shields were always meant to be

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    I'll need to try out the changes eventually. I heard that stagger was retuned and want to see it for myself. The stagger system that I experienced back in the earlier beta (June?) was basically a game killer deal breaker.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    RiboflavinRiboflavin Registered User regular
    I find Kreuber's Spear terrible. I am back to using Halberd or Exe Sword. It is too slow when the Beastmen cometh.

I'm only on Weave 6 not because we've failed higher ones but I'm having trouble wanting to do them as much because of progress wipe after the season is over. (Presumably)
    The stagger change is awesome Armchair. It almost but not quite feels like it used to. I haven't figured out if I'm not going to share health which is better health on cleave with the Exe sword or health on kill with the Halberd.

• Options
    I'll need to try out the changes eventually. I heard that stagger was retuned and want to see it for myself. The stagger system that I experienced back in the earlier beta (June?) was basically a game killer deal breaker.

you and everyone else

they adjusted it quite a bit, lowering the stagger threshold so that now standard enemies all stagger when hit with a light attack from any weapon

it's good now, imo

• Options
    JMan711JMan711 6'8" weighs a f*&#ing ton He's coming, he's coming, he's comingRegistered User regular
    The steam reviews have not been kind to the expansion. For those that are playing it how is it? I tend to trust the opinions of people on here rather than steam.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    There's been a review-bombing campaign by steam users responding to the sweeping mechanical changes made to the game with the new update, mixed in with some more valid concerns over how Weaves operate and some worries over the strength of Beastmen as a group.

I haven't logged in a huge amount of time with the DLC, but overall I really like the Beastmen and how they shake things up, and the new talent trees are exciting even if I haven't played with them enough to know if they're better for the game or not, really. I've only briefly dipped my toes into the Weaves but people seem to be having a hard time with matchmaking since apparently it only matches you with people who have made the same amount of progress into them, if I understand right.

• Options
    JMan711 wrote: »
    The steam reviews have not been kind to the expansion. For those that are playing it how is it? I tend to trust the opinions of people on here rather than steam.

They kinda shot themselves in the foot with this expansion when everyone basically had a laundry list of complaints, but they kept coming back for the core combat and how combat felt. People mostly wanted new maps and weapons to play with. Then for the expansion they dramatically changed how the combat worked. Negative feedback was sent during the initial betas and completely ignored. Allegedly they backpedaled when the feedback just kept growing in the last few betas prior to launch, and supposedly things are all right now?

Supposedly it's good now and I want to try it out soon, but I'm caught up in some grindy events from other games. I hope that it's good, but I can tell you that the mechanical changes from the beta build that I played last June completely torpedoed any desire to keep playing the game and I hope that the live build right now is nothing like what I saw.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    there were some issues with the combat overhaul that, imo, were largely addressed in the beta

the new map isn't fantastic, visually, and beastmen might be slightly overtuned

weaves don't interest me so I can't comment on them

personally I think it's worth the money overall and I'm happy to toss more money at a dev who's made a game I spend this much time in

• Options
    SyzygySyzygy Registered User regular
    I LOVE the fire flail. I can never go back to Saltzpyres terrible non-exploding flail now. This game needs more flails, flails are like the Half-tracks of medieval weaponry. Completely pointless but totally badass.

• Options
    The last act of the new map, and the run up to it, has some of the most stunning scenery I've seen in the game. Lots of really cool visual tricks at play. The rest of the map is a bit more generic, though, that's true.

• Options
    I'm torn with the expansion. As a (semi) functioning adult the leader board has little incentive for me to grind the weaves.

1) I will never be on top, I don't have time.
    2)It will supposedly reset at the end of a season making my progress moot. (I have heard some grumblings that things might change.)

This makes it hard for me to want to do the weaves. I need a different flavor of cheese to chase. I am unsure as to what.
    Same with cataclysm. There is no cheese that interests this rat. Make Cataclysm chests with normal rewards + a chance at a random cata only cosmetic or something.

I can see that the expansion took work and effort for them to make but there is not enough that is holding my attention. It's like having a whole gym but I only use the elliptical.

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    I know I won't get it, but I really wish custom games allowed character, not career, dupes.

I know it's not an issue in pubs, but it's frustrating to have to sideline my main while playing with friends-of-friends.

Imagine the fun voice opportunities if you had a group of three dwarves and kerillian.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    weaves are definitely not for me simply by virtue of the fact that I just want to play the weapons and characters I want without having to grind them all out again, but I do understand why the seasonal reset is upsetting folks

I get the intent, but if they were gonna do seasonal ladders they should have gone with the Diablo 2 formula, wherein the season ends and all ladder characters get moved to a non-ladder area

making the entire game mode a blank slate every three months is...profoundly ill-advised

some more thoughts on this expansion, now that I've spent a fair bit of time with it:

no new cosmetics at all (nothing from the first game? no skins for the new weapons, even?) sure does seem like a missed opportunity

the talent and combat rework was ultimately a good idea, though it's weird to me that they didn't take any of the feedback from the first beta a couple months ago; in any case, I think it's generally in a good spot right now

beastmen are overtuned and unfortunately it's hard to even say by how much because there are so many bugs in this release, i.e. hordes spawning out of nowhere, phantom hits, silent patrols, etc.

I suspect that Gors should have a bit less HP, and it's a little insane that Ungors can attack through enemies; banners I think are probably fine, provided they address the fact that the banner guys look exactly like every other Beastman

• Options
    edited August 2019
    You can spot the banner Gors with a little effort, but there's no reason to have them so visually indistinct, especially when they usually have a group of similarly-colored Gors hanging out near them. They're banner carriers, surely they could have some more flair going on. Give them some back-mounted trophy racks or something. Some big twirly antelope horns maybe. Anything, really.

I suppose, in fairness, I thought the same thing about the two Nurgle sorcerers when the game first came out, and that's not a problem for me now.

Edit: I also finally started getting into Weaves and I think they're really fun, putting aside for now the concerns over future "seasons". I think part of it was that I was able to get into them with a couple of friends; if you have a stable Vermintide squad, I think they're excellent. I can see them being pretty unappealing if you only regularly play with randos from matchmaking.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    see the chaos sorcerers are fine because they have silhouettes that are distinct both from other Chaos units and from each other--they're big and round, and leeches have pointy hats and big staves

all the beastmen have busy silhouettes, so the fact that bannermen are slightly moreso isn't enough, and that actually winds up being a problem because all those extra parts they've got make it really hard to tell where their head hitbox is

they need color on their armor, the same way that blackrats do

I'd argue the same thing about bestigors, incidentally

• Options
    Shorty wrote: »
    see the chaos sorcerers are fine because they have silhouettes that are distinct both from other Chaos units and from each other--they're big and round, and leeches have pointy hats and big staves

Right, but again, those are pretty specific things that, at least for me, took a little bit to key into. During my first afternoon playing the game I thought they were the same, and even after I noticed a difference, I actually thought they were just visual variants on one special who could do multiple things. It took me the same amount of practice to differentiate the big burly chaos dudes who are mooks from the slightly bigger, slightly burlier chaos dudes with black hoods who will fuck you up. IIRC, they actually did some post-release visual work to make them more recognizable, though I could be wrong there.

Of course that's all neither here nor there, as visual muddiness doesn't excuse more visual muddiness, and I hope something comes down the pipe to make the banner Gors more distinctive. I have less of a problem with the Bestigors (they're quite bigger than the other Gors, are much more armored, and will absolutely let you know that they're there) but even so, it's strange to me that the tabletop models of these units are more distinct from one another than they are in Vermintide, what with their immediately recognizable horns. If anything it's more important in a fast paced real-time video game that you can pick them out at a glance.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Played this in the first time in forever. How are you supposed to get.temp health now. I was getting it but not sure how. I play the tank mage.
    Did a challenger group and got full tombs and grims. Was fun, I miss this game.

I play on xbox

• Options
    RickRude wrote: »
    Played this in the first time in forever. How are you supposed to get.temp health now. I was getting it but not sure how. I play the tank mage.
    Did a challenger group and got full tombs and grims. Was fun, I miss this game.

I play on xbox

Talents got shuffled some, be sure to look and make sure they're set right. THP ones are at level 10 now.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    I guess on unchained it's on melee hits now.

WHat counts as a monster?

• Options
    edited August 2019
    They removed temp HP from ranged attacks for everyone as part of the balance update last fall.

The mini bosses are monsters. Hook rats have monster armor type but aren't monsters.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    don't the act bosses also count as monsters for the purposes of talents?

• Options
    Knowing fatshark, that probably inconsistently changes on a case by case basis.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I played a ton of the original Vermintide, but even though I owned it I didn't actually get around to playing the sequel until tonight.

It's comforting to know that the AI companions are still borderline useless. The sequel looks gorgeous and I am appreciating the "brighter" environments (even though I really like the dreary nighttime theme in the original). The new enemy types are great, but fuck the nurgle guy who summons those huge barf tornados.

• Options
    edited August 2019
    The AI was actually pretty great before the update broke them. Far more reliable than the average player.

The key point is that the AI companions are all equipping the same gear and talents that you last utilized as that character. So if you're someone who has only ever played one character and hasn't touched the others, then you're basically throwing level 1 ungeared players into your map.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Has the expansion been updated at all to fix some issues? My friends and I were looking for some co-op over the break and thought about Vermintide. Reviews still seem pretty bad for it.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    Has the expansion been updated at all to fix some issues? My friends and I were looking for some co-op over the break and thought about Vermintide. Reviews still seem pretty bad for it.

Played it with the changes for a little, then my Vermintide group permanently switched to Deep Rock Galactic. Fantastic game!

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      I still play this 3-4 times a week with my buddies. Here are my thought on the current game:

-Beastmen still can wreck the game but not as badly. It is supposed to be fixed but I still have issues with a million beastmen swarming out a tiny alcove.
      -Minotaur is tough but I think he's fair. Though it seems harder to steal aggro when he is beating someone to death but that might just be me.
      -I don't like the talent reworks-personal opinion, the game got harder with Beastmen then temp health got nerfed. One or the other please.
      -Something is wrong with Monsters. They either wipe us or die in 2 seconds. Saltspyre and the wizard eat them. I don't think monster killing is balanced well.
      Overall I like it without all the fiddling and nerfing.

I don't like that they are adding a cosmetic shop but I understand the need for cash to continue development. Item shop is in the beta but you can earn "shillings" now but you can't chck how many you have without the shop.
      You can pay with cash or earn them with new weeklys.

Season 2 of the weaves and the item shop is supposedly going live in January.

• Options
      The stagger changes in WoM pretty much killed my interest in the game. The combat just stopped being fun and turned into a tedious slog.

3DS Friend Code:
    • Options
      CantidoCantido Registered User regular
      I tried getting my brother to play vermintide, but adulthood and Overwatch have turned him off from all gore and Grimdark. Somehow I was able to sell him on Deep Rock Galactic.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    • Options
      Thanks! Looks like Deep Rock is on sale as well. Looks kind of like a FPS hell divers? Going to get it a shot.

• Options
      edited December 2019
      I have heard that they made the WoM changes that upset me less pronounced since I walked away, but it took the wind out of my sails. I think that maybe the lowliest of trash mobs may have been made exempt?

What they changed was that enemies need to be staggered before you could inflict them with full damage. For players who just smack things around with maces and hammers, they might not even notice much. But for someone like me whose favorite weapons are things with zero stagger power like the rapier or sienna's dagger? Pure tedium as I now need to push every single enemy before attacking them. It wasn't hard or challenging. It was just tedious.

It was just another example to me that fatshark was grossly mismanaging their product. The core melee combat system was the secret sauce that kept people clinging to the game despite the innumerable mistakes that they made. They had just dramatically impressed the community with a lot of interaction in a long running set of balance updates. The community was mostly happy and just wanted new maps and a means to unlock cosmetics without pure RNG standing in their way. But then they introduced the stagger change out of the blue in the WoM beta to massive backlash from the player base. I think that they may have been trying to make shield weapons viable? Anyway, in stark contrast to the community interaction during the balance to updates, they went full steam ahead with murdering their core combat system. That was the point that I walked away, and I think fatshark may have walked away as well to their biannual company wide 3 week vacation.

General_Armchair on
      3DS Friend Code:
    • Options
      It's always interesting to see development shops that catch lightning in a bottle and what happens next. Whether they understand what they did and continue or just fail to understand what made that one game great.

I played VT a ton and love it. VT2 just didn't have the same charm. It's hard to explain but I'd assume it's just a bunch of little things like level design, enemies, weapons systems, etc that just didn't pull me in as much. But it was still fun to play with friends. It's a shame it seems to have gone downhill.

• Options
      I probably should give it another try eventually. I may have been a bit overdramatic earlier, but I'm far from the only one with that opinion. Making enemies more damage spongey was just a bad call IMO, and my displeasure made me less willing to overlook stuff like needing two hands to count how many times that they re-introduced the "silent patrol" bug due to their apparent inability to utilize revision control for their code, or how cosmetics were both intensely rare and almost always a shoddy texture recolor. I literally stopped opening commendation chests eventually because the cosmetic drop chance was so abysmally low that even with hundreds of chests in my inventory it simply wasn't worth the time to open them. I'll likely wait for a few more balance updates before I give the game another try, and given fatshark's development rate I may be looking at waiting another year.

It doesn't help that I was never able to seriously play the game with my friends. I was living in Legend mode by the end, but my friends never finished leveling up single character to level cap.

3DS Friend Code:
    • Options
      Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
      I haven't played in ages but those knockback changes sound hoooooorrrrrrible. Like, unplayable game horrible, particularly since Sienna was my favorite. Literally the only things shields needed to make them worthwhile would be to be able to soak a ton of damage and protect allies in a large arc, there's no reason at all to ruin the game to attempt to make shields better.