Options

Warhammer: Vermintide 2 - Winds of Magic launching the 13th of August!

• Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Yeah the original was fun, but I gave up on the sequel about a week in. The whole loot system just turned into an unfun grind. It also set up frustrating barriers to just wanting to play a damn game with friends.

And the boss battles, oh the boss battles. Even the mini-bosses. Too much RNG that could tank a run if you drew a chaos spawn instead of the easier ones. The chaos troll was also supremely frustrating with a pub group who couldn't coordinate.

MrBody on
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    MrBody wrote: »
    Yeah the original was fun, but I gave up on the sequel about a week in. The whole loot system just turned into an unfun grind. It also set up frustrating barriers to just wanting to play a damn game with friends.

And the boss battles, oh the boss battles. Even the mini-bosses. Too much RNG that could tank a run if you drew a chaos spawn instead of the easier ones. The chaos troll was also supremely frustrating with a pub group who couldn't coordinate.

The troll used to be impossible when it came out. They definitely nerfed trolls.

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      TimFiji wrote: »

The troll used to be impossible when it came out. They definitely nerfed trolls.

It was very doable if your entire team knew to wail on it when it tried to regenerate, but man if you had even one clueless player on your team, it was just an endless fight.

• Options
      General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
      edited December 2019
      There was a period of time where trolls were impractical to solo when the rest of your team was dead because their passive regen was too high for characters without boss busting skills to nuke down. If even one other player was up, trolls were only saved from being the easiest boss fight by how much of a pushover storm fiends are. Troll attacks were just so heavily forecast that you don't really have much of an excuse for being hit. The big threat was the passive hp regen that could drag out the duration of the boss fight long enough for a horde to spawn.

General_Armchair on
      3DS Friend Code:
      Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
    • Options
      TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
      TimFiji wrote: »

It was very doable if your entire team knew to wail on it when it tried to regenerate, but man if you had even one clueless player on your team, it was just an endless fight.

Maybe. They definitely patched it within days of release though!

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
        Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
      • Options
        RiboflavinRiboflavin Registered User regular
        Opinions and all that, Monsters from hardest to easiest.

Spawn of Chaos
        Minotaur
        Troll
        Rat Ogre
        Storm Fiend

Spawn of Chaos in the only one that causes a bit of panic and it still dies ultrafast if our Salty-pyre is charged.

When we dies to bosses its usually the horde not the boss. I'd love a boss that didn't come with a horde but was 4x as tough with a bunch of special attacks.

• Options
        FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
        After a 1 year break (roughly) I've started Vermintiding again... It's still fun to hit Skaven with various implements (although I seem to prefer sharp implements as opposed to hammers) and Kerillians constant lumberfoot comments are still pretty annoying.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
        -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
      • Options
        ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
        After a 1 year break (roughly) I've started Vermintiding again... It's still fun to hit Skaven with various implements (although I seem to prefer sharp implements as opposed to hammers) and Kerillians constant lumberfoot comments are still pretty annoying.

That's exactly what I'd expect a mayfly to say.

• Options
        Elvenshae wrote: »

That's exactly what I'd expect a mayfly to say.

I don't know wether to awesome you or report you. It's 50/50 right now.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
      • Options
        AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
        For now, this seems as good a place to post this;

https://youtu.be/XI99R_z9VLg

THE EMPEROR PROTECTS!

Not too much info is out there, but it is basically 40k Vermintide. While the trailer has Imperial Guard word on the street says you'll be playing as Inquisitorial Acolytes. So I'd expect a range of. . . misfits.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
      • Options
        edited July 2020
        I don't know how to feel about that. What made Vermintide so great was its very visceral melee centric combat, and the Vermintide 2 was at its worst in the early months of the game when we had the ranged meta. A 40k setting means more shooting, which opens up the game to risk of just being a 40k skinned left 4 dead clone.

At least the implication that we'll be playing as guard or agents of the inquisition instead of SPESS MEHREENS implies that we'll probably be more squishy and the game may be more tailored to make us feel getting hit. So we may avoid the trap that Space Hulk: Deathwing fell into where they tried to make us feel like unstoppable juggernauts in terminator armor and ended up creating a game where the combat felt lifeless.

edit:
        Although I suppose that the guardsmen depicted in the trailer might not be indicative of our player classes and are simply redshirts meant to introduce the setting. The type of characters in 40k that have the necessary plot armor to prioritize melee and use ranged as a secondary do show up in the Inquisition at a higher frequency than elsewhere. It's entirely possible that our character pool will be drawn from such a pool of melee characters.

I feel that the high quality melee combat was arguably the most crucial element that fatshark did well that set themselves apart from competitors. If they stick with doing what they did well by making a melee centric game, then I think that we might see great things from this game. However if further gameplay reveals prove it to be more ranged focused, then I'll take that as an ill-omen for the game.

The other key strong suit of vermintide was the top tier voice acting and camaraderie among the cast. I can only hope that they can recapture that kind of feeling with a new cast.

edit2:
        I've found some quotes from FS that suggest that they intend to go the melee route, which is good. But I also found some art that sure looks like it's depicting one of the party members and he looks a hell of a lot like a Stormtrooper who really don't jump to mind as being melee centric.

I'm hesitantly hopeful that they'll produce something good. I'll stick to my earlier line about hoping for good things if they stick to melee centricity, but will be disappointed if they make it more ranged centric.

General_Armchair on
        3DS Friend Code:
      • Options
        Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
        Axen wrote: »
        For now, this seems as good a place to post this;

https://youtu.be/XI99R_z9VLg

THE EMPEROR PROTECTS!

Not too much info is out there, but it is basically 40k Vermintide. While the trailer has Imperial Guard word on the street says you'll be playing as Inquisitorial Acolytes. So I'd expect a range of. . . misfits.

Oh man.

I don't think those guys are gonna make it back.

Visuals look great, I always like seeing representations of Warhammer characters in games - those zombers look like Nurgle Poxwalkers, so hopefully some Nurgle daemons will be present (Nurgle daemons are the best daemons).

H9f4bVe.png
      • Options
        MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
        All I will say regarding Darktide is that if there are no Goals mentioning Sly Marbo, then it is obviously just more Tzeench-tainted trickery and flim-flam.

"now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
        camo_sig2.png
      • Options
        MrVyngaard wrote: »
        All I will say regarding Darktide is that if there are no Goals mentioning Sly Marbo, then it is obviously just more Tzeench-tainted trickery and flim-flam.

No jungle in the depth of a hive. So no Sly Marbo.

• Options
        edited July 2020
        For classes, and I’m just spit-balling here, I’d not be surprised to see;

Some type of Assassin (probably either Callidus or Vindicare).
        A Tempestus Scion or Kasrkin (can't imagine it'd be a generic Guard).
        A Psyker, naturally.
        A Sister of Battle for a heavy hitter without going full SPESS MEHREENS!!!
        Could certainly have an AdMech in there.
        Maybe a former Arbites with Shotgun and STICK OF JUSTICE (or swap that out for a shield).

They have a lot of options. And Hell, each I listed above could easily have numerous variants.

edit- They could even throw in a former Necromunda ganger as well.

Man, DLC for this could be vast.

Axen on
      • Options
        Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
        I hope they go back and look at what made Vermintide 1 successful and Vermintide 2 not so much. I think the 'Keep it simple' motto works well here. VT2 they tried to pump everything up and sometimes that ends up with a worse experience. Mass Effect had the same issue, ME3 MP was really successful and ME:A MP was not.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
      • Options
        For classes, and I’m just spit-balling here, I’d not be surprised to see;

Some type of Assassin (probably either Callidus or Vindicare).
        A Tempestus Scion or Kasrkin (can't imagine it'd be a generic Guard).
        A Psyker, naturally.
        A Sister of Battle for a heavy hitter without going full SPESS MEHREENS!!!
        Could certainly have an AdMech in there.
        Maybe a former Arbites with Shotgun and STICK OF JUSTICE (or swap that out for a shield).

They have a lot of options. And Hell, each I listed above could easily have numerous variants.

edit- They could even throw in a former Necromunda ganger as well.

Man, DLC for this could be vast.

Some of the promotional art also featured what was either a servitor/thrall or an ogryn.
        Cult Mechanicus stuff is another possibility (Electropriests, Secutors and/or Skitarii. Or even Ordo Reductor stuff).

• Options
        Like I said, they have a lot of options.

• Options
        This is the image that I saw that looks like it may feature the cast.

Some guy with a flamethrower and servo skull, an ogryn, some flavor of Stormtrooper, and some sniper looking guy. I imagine a fifth will be some kind of sanctioned psyker.

8iefssyvfnii.png

3DS Friend Code:
      • Options
        BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
        Give us an Eversor you cowards.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
      • Options
        Bethryn wrote: »
        Give us an Eversor you cowards.

Honestly. I don't want Eversors. They're nearlly uncontrollable killing machines with maybe 3-10 apocalyptic level massacres in them before they're spent.
        I have a hard time imagining how a Callidus assassin would work, so Vindicare and maybe Culexus assassins are the most likely IMHO.

• Options
        Callidus have a sword, poisoned blades and a (close range) psionic gun. Basically just pure, elegant DPS.

• Options
        NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
        Callidus have a sword, poisoned blades and a (close range) psionic gun. Basically just pure, elegant DPS.

Callidus also have no business being deployed for the apparent work at hand. They are infiltrators, not cleanup crew.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
        Warframe/Steam: NFyt
      • Options
        OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
        Any of the assassins are so much further along the power scale than anything in that concept art it is actually insane. So I highly doubt we'll get a playable one.

This is ripe for character/class DLC, but the big thing holding back DLC for VT2 is actually voice acting. They'd have to add lines for all the interactions.

So if they designed this to be more plug and play VA-wise from the beginning we could see a bigger roster, but that's a conscious design choice on their part.

• Options
        Trajan45 wrote: »
        I hope they go back and look at what made Vermintide 1 successful and Vermintide 2 not so much. I think the 'Keep it simple' motto works well here. VT2 they tried to pump everything up and sometimes that ends up with a worse experience. Mass Effect had the same issue, ME3 MP was really successful and ME:A MP was not.

No more grind. Please dear Emperor, not more grind.

• Options
        edited July 2020
        NEO|Phyte wrote: »

Callidus also have no business being deployed for the apparent work at hand. They are infiltrators, not cleanup crew.

They can and do get dropped behind enemy front lines to cause general havoc/murder mayhem and often serve as part of Inquisitorial Retinues. In game terms I imagine they'd be similar to Genji from Overwatch.

edit- or to put it another way. If I had to bet money on who could survive an underhive full of Nurgle cultists between an Imperial Guardsmen (even a veteran) or a Calldius Assassin, good money is on the assassin.

Hell, if it was between an Imperial Guard Squad and a lone Callidus Assassin my money would still be on the assassin.

Axen on
      • Options
        I'm also of the opinion that any of the assassins are too high on the totem pole. I'd put them up just a step below Daemonhosts as "things in the Inquisition's back pocket that could actually pull off this crazy mission."

If we assume that the game is basically a setting-shifted version of vermintide, then the cast of characters aren't going to be the ultra badass elite of the elite that could actually be expected to solo (or four, five, does it matter?) a hive of chaos spawn and come out victorious.

No, I'm expecting a cast of much lower power level characters. Think about the Ubersreik Five. There are units in warhammer fantasy that are far better suited to taking on the vermintide. Witch Hunters and bright wizards aren't pushovers, but they're also not the Empire's best. For example, I'm not expecting anything of the power level that I would expect Ravenor or Eisenhorn to pull out of their back pocket. I'm expecting more along the lines of Ciaphas Cain stopping the chaos threat thanks to a lot of luck and a huge helping of plot armor.

3DS Friend Code:
      • Options
        redundant_pairingredundant_pairing Registered User regular

Not really. Of the main assassins calidus are inflitration and a one target item. The only assassin that is just raw damage and isn't after a sole target is the eversor, which is sort of a one man externaminatus/genocide campaign. And if you read the fluff they aren't really known for their fighting ability, it's all about the shape shifting and sneaking. The only assassin really known for it's combat ability is the drugged up looney.

It's sort of no relevant though. Look at what's going on here, the characters are all IG, that's below even Sisters or Arbites power level in the game. Let alone space marines... which are below assassins and custodes in terms of raw ownage.

An assassin squad game would own. The calidus staying in cover and out of form relaying information back and not blending in. The vindicare taking snipe shots. The culexus shutting down psykers. And then the other one just koolaid maning through the wall and ruining it all for them.

• Options
        EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
        Best part of the trailer is obviously the glitching flashlight. That's just so... Imperial Guard.

• Options
        An assassin squad game would own. The calidus staying in cover and out of form relaying information back and not blending in. The vindicare taking snipe shots. The culexus shutting down psykers. And then the other one just koolaid maning through the wall and ruining it all for them.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/176817/assassinorum-execution-force

• Options
        Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
        Echo wrote: »
        Best part of the trailer is obviously the glitching flashlight. That's just so... Imperial Guard.

It'll run for five hundred years, but only for 1-20 seconds at a time.

• Options
        Echo wrote: »

It's really "general level imperial technology" where a lot of technology is really insanely high tech, but is kept running by "supplications to the machine spirits" (ie, prayers and strategicly placed kicks).
        The only thing that could have made that flashlight scene better would be if he had been praying as he did it.

• Options
        FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
        Trajan45 wrote: »

No more grind. Please dear Emperor, not more grind.

I would like the perks to be somewhat less opaque about what they actually did.

• Options
        IblisIblis Registered User regular
        I’m hoping for a tech priest since they get a lot of fun weaponry, both ranged and melee. Shock weaponry, Sonic blades, Omnissian Axes, hell maybe some creative stuff like a bunch of mechadendrites with various blades implements.

If we get an assassin I imagine it would just be more of a death cult assassin rather than a full on Officio Assassinorum. If we do get a Temple assassin, Culexus would be my preference since they’re such weirdos. But that would make it hard to implement enemy psykers and especially daemons.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
      • Options
        Kerillian's personality would finally fit in 40k.

• Options
        CantidoCantido Registered User regular
        I don't understand a word you all are saying and I'm exited.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
      • Options
        RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
        I know nothing of 40k, and not much of the current world either. I just want more vermintide.

• Options
        DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
        I'd just be happy if two people who want to play the same class can actually play together instead of one having to change because they both arrived to the party wearing the same dress.

• Options
        IblisIblis Registered User regular
        edited July 2020
        Cantido wrote: »
        I don't understand a word you all are saying and I'm exited.

I don't think you're looking for an explanation, but I like explaining things. Basically in Warhammer 40K there are a bunch of different sub-factions that make up the Imperium of Man (the main faction of humanity), which will likely be the sort of characters chosen for this. Imperial Guard are the main military force (frequently portrayed as sort of World War era trench fighters in space), Battle Sisters (Adeptus Sororitas) are the militant arm of the Ecclesiarchy (the one and only church of the Imperium), the Inquisition is a secret police/intelligence apparatus/investigative force that seeks to protect humanity from threats both internal and external, the Officio Assassinorum (Office of Assassins) is made up of various temples devoted to creating incredibly specialized and deadly killers for the Imperium to deploy, and the Adeptus Mechanicus is technically it's own faction allied with the Imperium, but is made up of individuals who worship technology and science and modify themselves into crazy cyborgs. There's also the Space Marines (Adeptus Astartes) who are sort of super soldier monks, but are too powerful to likely be playable.

To elaborate further on some speculation regarding characters, people were wondering if an Officio Assassinorum Assassin might be included, which includes Vindicare Assassins (incredibly elite snipers with ludicrously large rifle firing incredibly specialized rounds), Caledus Assassins (infiltration experts that can assume different forms), Eversor Assassins (drugged up lunatics installed with incredible amounts of cybernetics and gene-mods generally activated behind enemy lines in the general hope they kill a bunch of important targets before expiring), and Culexus Assassins (Born with a unique mutation that causes them to disrupt psychics and psychic phenomena, as well as just make normal people feel wrong or ill, they are trained and granted weapons specialized around killing psychics and daemons). I assume we might get a Death Cult Assassin, which are not as crazy specialized but tend to come from cults that worship the Emperor through murdering his enemies (which are frequently used by the Officio as recruiting grounds)

Some people are also assuming we might get an Ogryn, a type of abhuman (mutant variants of humanity that are deemed useful and stable enough to not be heretical) known for being strong, loyal, and not especially intelligent. Space Ogres basically. There are other types of abhumans, like Ratlings (hobbits) or Beastmen (goat people) but they are less iconic.

Tech Priests are clergy of the Adeptus Mechanicus, a combination between a priest and engineer that are also frequently trained for combat as well. They carry all sorts of crazy ancient technology that people don't really understand anymore, like swords that vibrate at strange frequencies and pierce armor (and make others feel ill) or lasers that straight up unmake what they hit, and tend to have a bunch of mechadendrites, robotic tentacles with various uses and applications.

Then there are Psykers, which as the name implies are psychics. Psychics in Warhammer 40k much like spellcasters in Warhammer Fantasy are very dangerous; both to others and themselves. Psykers range wildly in capabilities, power, sanity, etc. Like one could be capable of mass-mind control, or boiling blood and regenerating health, or freezing people solid. Or they might be only able to do small telekinetic shoves or something. Some are simply too weak to even really manifest their powers in any safe manner, but not surprisingly we wouldn't really get someone like that playable. Blanks like a Culexus Assassin also tend to disable them or at least make them feel quite ill.

There are also some weird choices we probably won't get, like a Navigator, a type of sanctioned mutant with a third eye that allows them to see the warp (the realm of psychic power and the chaos gods) and lets them guide the Imperium's ships through the Warp for FTL travel. They can do crazy shit like show people unfiltered warp through their eye, driving them mad, blast fire out of their eye, or even just rend people apart with focused blasts of warp energy.

And for enemies I should mention Daemons, which are manifestations of strong emotions born from the warp. They tend to warp reality around them to an extent and are notoriously dangerous and difficult to take down. Basically the same as Warhammer Fantasy daemons, though in 40K they do have to watch out for Blanks, which are invisible to them and cause them a great deal of distress.

Iblis on
        Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
      • Options
        RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
        So I guess vermintide hit xbox game pass and people Are playing it again. I miss this game. One of my favorites. Any else on xbox thinking of picking it back up?