Options

[WOW] Luke 8:30: "What is thy name ? And he said, Legion."

1356797

Posts

  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    yes, and they are also absurdly cheap, too, because everybody is rolling in primals and nobody really needs savage blood anymore

  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    I was feeling a bit crazy yesterday and I have a shiny new Rarity addon that tracks kills so I set about farming Skyshards to go with the two I already had. Got three of them in about 3-4 hours, around 3K kills total. Now's a good time to be doing it with my DK because they're green level so when I kill one instantly I can Death Grip his buddy to me with no cooldown. Five more shards to go, maybe I can get this mount by end of month.

    Madican on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Welp, I'm off the wagon. What's the name of the lvl 91 crafted one hander I should be looking for for my Frost DK?

    Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    MasterOfPupetsMasterOfPupets Registered User regular
    Steelforged... anything. Just do a search on the ah for weapons with the search term "steelforged" and you'll find one. I know the 2-h is a greataxe. I forget what the 1-h is. Might be a saber, or an axe... might be a mace too...

    XBL = MoP54
    PSN = PessimistMaximus
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Anyway, some thoughts from someone who used to hardcore raid TBC-Cata but didn't play MoP. Garrisons are cool, but I can't imagine why they thought this is something they should cut content in favor for. New questing model seems pretty cool. Zones I've seen are super pretty. Already sick of orcs.

    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    I was sick of Orcs in cata.

    It probably doesn't help that I tend to play as Orcs.

    Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    Slayer of DreamsSlayer of Dreams Registered User regular
    Anyway, some thoughts from someone who used to hardcore raid TBC-Cata but didn't play MoP. Garrisons are cool, but I can't imagine why they thought this is something they should cut content in favor for. New questing model seems pretty cool. Zones I've seen are super pretty. Already sick of orcs.
    Now imagine an extra year of orcs. And then an expansion based around orcs. And now you know what playing in MoP was like when the final raid was released.

    Steam: Slayer of Dreams / BladeCruiser / (EHJ)BooletProof
    R*SC: BladeCruiser
    Check out my GTAV-PC custom race tracks inspired by real life racing circuits!
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    I think I'm going to probably spend most of my time grinding old content for gear and nostalgia honestly. Ran a time warped (or whatever its called) steam vaults and man, the nostalgia was real.

    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    InfamyDeferredInfamyDeferred Registered User regular
    Yeah, timewalking weekends are my favorite event by far. Great for alts too.

  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Not really "weekends" anymore of course, more like entire week.

    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Lifebloom stacking to three was a silly design, but I really do miss it for some reason.

    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Lifebloom stacking to three was a silly design, but I really do miss it for some reason.

    It's just nostalgia. Whatever the current state of WoW content-wise, the engagement and gameplay of class rotations and spell usage has never been better than it is now.

    Dhalphir on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    The thee stack thing was dumb because it meant that in practice, you never wanted to let it actually bloom. You still generally don't, but at least you can kinda use the bloom sometimes without it being a huge loss now.

    Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    hold your head high soldier, it ain't over yet
    that's why we call it the struggle, you're supposed to sweat
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Lifebloom stacking to three was a silly design, but I really do miss it for some reason.

    It's just nostalgia. Whatever the current state of WoW content-wise, the engagement and gameplay of class rotations and spell usage has never been better than it is now.

    Yeah, I've noticed the streamlining, and its pretty impressive.

    Anyway, what would ya'll recommend for addons these days? Used to run a pretty minimal setup, Bartender, varying character frame addons, an addon for boss loot, and I guess I'll need something to better track deathknight runes.

    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    I'm an advocate for running lean on addons. Most of the best addon functionality has been baked into the core UI. For example the default unit frames can be moved around freely now.

    Here are the only 4 I have installed, currently:
    • MasterPlan is a must for Garrison missions
    • Scrap is nice because it basically gives you a 'Sell Junk' button that basically every other MMO has when you go to a vendor
    • A nameplate addon like Tidyplates or Kui Nameplates just to pretty them up and show my DK diseases with timers on the nameplates
    • Mik's Scrolling Battle Text (MSBT) because I like to know what I'm doing with a bit more granularity

    Then there's the utility addons like Gathermate or Auctioneer/AuctionLite if you're into that stuff.

    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    A DOT-heavy class-- Affliction Warlock, I'm looking at you-- badly needs an addon to keep his DOTs up, too.

  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Lifebloom stacking to three was a silly design, but I really do miss it for some reason.

    It's just nostalgia. Whatever the current state of WoW content-wise, the engagement and gameplay of class rotations and spell usage has never been better than it is now.

    I disagree with regards to the class rotations and abilities. While there was certainly some fat to be trimmed in each class/spec's rotation, there were certainly more than a few cases that they went a little overboard. I think a balance between pre-pruning and what we have now would be ideal, but I don't see it happening.

  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Lifebloom stacking to three was a silly design, but I really do miss it for some reason.

    It's just nostalgia. Whatever the current state of WoW content-wise, the engagement and gameplay of class rotations and spell usage has never been better than it is now.

    Yeah, I've noticed the streamlining, and its pretty impressive.

    Anyway, what would ya'll recommend for addons these days? Used to run a pretty minimal setup, Bartender, varying character frame addons, an addon for boss loot, and I guess I'll need something to better track deathknight runes.

    ElvUI is pretty universal now, it bakes most useful functions into one ui.

  • Options
    InfamyDeferredInfamyDeferred Registered User regular
    • Clique is excellent for healers and hybrids, lets you bind mouseover and click spells to party/raid frames (e.g. I use if for Ctrl+right click to cast Hand of Protection, also good for heals and decurses)
    • WeakAuras is not at all simple to set up by hand, but you can copy+paste other people's macro codes into it, and build some truly impressive UIs customized for your spec and talents. Fantastic for tracking cooldowns.
    • Auctionator is good for average-joe buying and selling. Auctioneer is a more complex solution for serious market players.
    • Altoholic is amazing if you have a lot of alts. For one, mousing over any item shows you how many you have on what characters, in which bags/banks
    • Deadly Boss Mods is the go-to for raid alerts and timers.
    • Skada and Omen offer similar damage meter functionality. Also good for looking up what hurt/healed you in the seconds leading up to your death, if you're ever stumped by it in an instance.

  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    i think this is the first maintenance week since patch 6.2.2, and that one was the first since patch 6.2 itself

  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I have a long list of addons, only because I moved to Broker/LDB back in Cata and downloaded specific plugins for ChocolateBar. I also hate the default UI and love the crap out of SUF for unit frames (it's basically a dumbed-down version of......Bulldog?). Even though I run a lot of melee, I still have Quartz installed for tracking cast bars (fun fact: you can input a number larger than the slider limits if you want; I made my boss cast bar as wide as my whole screen).

    Not needed: I use SexyMap for minimap; and I use Mapster for the world map (so you can move the map window around, as well as some other enhancements)

  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    I'm lazy and use Elvui.

    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
    Arthil wrote: »
    I'm lazy and use Elvui.

    Is elvui still sketchy wrt. Having backdoors?

  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Yeah ok holy shit steelforged weapons are silly for leveling.

    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Indeed they are, they are comically over-leveled. Which is a real kick in the teeth to the absurdly expensive Heirloom weapons.

  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Like...was this intentional? This seems like a huge oversight that was never fixed.

    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Fairchild wrote: »
    Indeed they are, they are comically over-leveled. Which is a real kick in the teeth to the absurdly expensive Heirloom weapons.

    Yup nothing like having level 100 dungeon gear at level 91

  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I'll still go ahead and rock my free Garrosh weapons because lazy.

  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    I'll still go ahead and rock my free Garrosh weapons because lazy.

    If you were lazy you'd buy one of the steelforged weapons for 300 gold the next time you happen to be at the AH anyway, because on any melee class, it'll cut hours off your total 90-100 time.

  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Madican wrote: »
    I'll still go ahead and rock my free Garrosh weapons because lazy.

    If you were lazy you'd buy one of the steelforged weapons for 300 gold the next time you happen to be at the AH anyway, because on any melee class, it'll cut hours off your total 90-100 time.

    You mean I can hit 100 instantly? Because right now it takes me 2-3 hours to go from 90 to 100 and that's if I'm lollygagging.

  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    The only way 2-3 hours is realistic is if you're using mostly rares and treasures to level

  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    The only way 2-3 hours is realistic is if you're using mostly rares and treasures to level

    Not at all. I make use of those +300% XP potions you can buy from the AH and Gorgrond bonus areas + elite quests. Here's my process.
    1. Get your toon through Tanaan. Once you've got your Garrison, let them accrue full rested EXP before proceeding.
    2. Do Shadowmoon Valley quests until you unlock the Level 2 Garrison, takes maybe half an hour or less with flying. You should be about Level 92.
    3. Construct a Stables. Now you can fly and loot things from the air without being dismounted.
    4. Pack 2 Garrison EXP potions and an Elixir of Ancient Knowledge (+300% EXP for 15 minutes). Pop the Garrison EXP potion right away, lasts for an hour of prep work. Keep it up at all times.
    5. Head off to Gorgrond using the quest. Do the questline until you unlock the outpost. Takes 5-10 minutes.
    6. Fly around to all the bonus areas and do them all, leaving one mob unkilled so it doesn't complete.
    7. While you're at it kill the named elites to get their quest drops.
    8. DO NOT PICK UP ANY TREASURES YET.
    9. You should be about Level 93 now with plenty of rest EXP left. If you want, you can let it accrue back to full again before starting the final leg but I don't.
    10. Position yourself at the outpost with the elite quests accepted. Also take the rest of the breadcrumb quests, you might happen on some of the turn-ins as you fly around. Do actually do the quest, just the breadcrumb turn-in.
    11. Queue up for a dungeon. Do it normally and right when the final boss dies pop that Elixir of Ancient Knowledge to get triple the boss EXP + dungeon completion EXP. Turn in the elite quests.
    12. Fly around and complete the bonus areas, you only need to kill/loot one more thing to complete them. Know where you're going ahead of time, to not waste the Elixir.
    13. Loot as many treasures as possible. This is where rest EXP is vital, because if you have it the treasures give double EXP and the Elixir triples that for 6x EXP.
    14. When the bonus areas and treasures are done you should have around 5 minutes left on the timer and be about Level 98. Do any quests within reach ASAP. Ignore rares, too slow.
    15. Your level varies now depending on how much rested EXP you had. My personal best with full was Level 99 1/2.
    16. Fly to Skettis. Loot treasures to finish off the level and hit 100. If you're close to running out of rested EXP pick up Blessings of the Raven Queen, they give a bar of rested.
    That's it! You're now Level 100 and it only took 2-3 hours including prep, aside from letting rested EXP accrue. You can realistically get multiple toons done in a day if you have the prep work set up.

  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Okay, but a clever method requiring a bunch of prep is not really applicable to someone levelling normally

  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    EEWMRpQ.png

  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    You saw nothing

    I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Okay, but a clever method requiring a bunch of prep is not really applicable to someone levelling normally

    Sure it is. Also, you said that it wasn't realistic to hit 100 in a few hours, not that it's not realistic to hit 100 in a few hours just doing things normally, so you're moving the goalpost.

  • Options
    CiriraCirira IowaRegistered User regular
    Madican does almost exactly what I do now. I usually get to 94-95 just by finishing Shadowmoon/Frostfire and doing the "prep work" for the rest of the experience. You're not really wasting any time doing it this way since you're still getting experience while setting up the giant experience bomb at the end. I think I got to about 99 1/2 without doing the last boss of a dungeon trick. Had I done that I may have actually hit 100.

  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Okay, but a clever method requiring a bunch of prep is not really applicable to someone levelling normally

    Sure it is. Also, you said that it wasn't realistic to hit 100 in a few hours, not that it's not realistic to hit 100 in a few hours just doing things normally, so you're moving the goalpost.

    that's a fair criticism, I retract my original statement

This discussion has been closed.