Options

[WOW] Luke 8:30: "What is thy name ? And he said, Legion."

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Man. I found myself in the PA archives from 2008, reading the old WoW threads we used to have.

It's a real sign of how much the WoW playerbase has shrunk, honestly.

We used to have enough people on these forums to maintain

1x chat thread
    1x Hope/Hate/Happiness thread
    1x thread for every single class

The chat thread would get a hundred posts a day, the HHH thread maybe 30-40, and each class thread would have 5-10 a day, which is honestly still more than this solo chat thread gets these days.

It's nuts.

And I think a big part of that is how easy the game has become. There used to be a lot of chatting about the best way to do things, lots of discussion around theorycrafting. Now it's all so easy there's nothing to talk about.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    It's also been around since 2004. People have played, quit, come back, quit, come back, and quit again. A significant portion of people started playing out in high school and have multiple kids and a mortgage now. Your grandfather had played it at some point. There are kids playing it now that didn't exist when it came out. Hard to generate excitement at this point.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    The internet exploded over the time WoW's existed and there's tons more things to do in addition to tons more games to play. Prime example: Youtube is younger than WoW is.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    i know. I know. I just miss the glory days I suppose.

@Ishtaar
    @riz
    @Thomamelas
    @Forar
    @Wavechaser
    @Munkus Beaver
    @Rizzi
    @Thomase1984
    @shadowane
    @Seg
    @PierceNeck
    @Nobody
    @815165

That was mostly from memory, can't recall too many others offhand.

• Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    I miss @Variable

• Options
    Guys guys guys

look at this post i made in 2007, before I even hit level cap

oh my god I'm trying to claim that you don't need food buffs

what manner of abomination was I

i want to murder past dhalphir
    Maybe if I was at the absolute cap of gear and experience, and was looking to squeeze "just 20 more spell damage!" out of my class, I'd consider it.

But as it stands now, in the time it would take me to raise cooking and fishing from 1-x level would cost $texas time that if I spent it instancing, I could get gear that might give me an extra 100 spell damage.

• Options
    TakelTakel Registered User regular
    I don't think WoW as a whole has become easier over time. Moreso that detailed information is more readily available now than the state of games in general were at when WoW was originally developed and released.

There were a lot of discussion mainly because people haven't quite figured out how to break the darn game yet. Stuff like defense stacking, spell power stacking, general healing spell downranking, hit caps, the dual wield penalty, class organisation, OOC ressing, even the UI presentation. There's a lot that was learnt rapidly during the early days as players homed in on the path of least resistance and no matter what the developers can do, the laser focus of millions of players will seek out that easiest method to beat the game then spread the word about it.

And then there's the information about raid encounters. In the 'old days' you had zero information going in. Heck, the fact that Ragnaros was the big bad at the end of Molten Core was an unknown and the sheer panic that occurred when he first emerged? Glorious. Then there were the bugs. And the PTR. And the dungeon journals much later on. Information and trying to scrape together details of a boss are no longer something you had to do as a social group; all the information is handed over to you and collated into a central repository with firm strats being developed before the content is even released on the production servers.

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Wow as a whole is easier, but the hardest parts are harder then they've ever been, as a developer response to all those things. Mythic phase 4s are a response to PTR strat development. C'thun was crazy hard even once it's numbers were nerfedd into "actually killable now, sorry about that" territory, but he has like 2 abilities to use per phase. Compare to your average mythic boss now, never mind an end of tier one.

All that complexity is a response to video strats, dbm, and to gear being a solved problem at every possible spec, ilvl, and current gear.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    Yeah those were good times in the WoW thread(s). Heck, the game even had its own subforum here at one point.

And now look: there's an expansion coming up, arguably the one time in the game's history that generates the most excitement, and no one's said a word about it in pages. Sure, not very much has been revealed, but that never stopped people before - we'd have pages upon pages of speculation and theories. Sad, but it's understandable I guess.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    WoW may be less difficult now but it's also a whole hell of a lot less tedious.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    Fair enough. So like, apart from the title, not much discussion.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    It's not like there's going to be a whole lot to discuss until BlizzCon. We know a lot of the broad strokes, but not really a lot of details to really dig deep on.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I had noticed a few months ago that I was the only remaining active person that was around for the actual formation of the guild I'm in. It was started on these forums during WotLK by regulars who I don't think are even regulars here anymore. I think most of the active (or recently active, at least - I've been done for a few weeks) people in the guild have nothing to do with the forums, which is fine; it's just interesting watching how a guild evolves. We still drew in a few people from the PA forums with this last expansion, but it kind of feels weird to call it a PA guild now.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Man. I found myself in the PA archives from 2008, reading the old WoW threads we used to have.

It's a real sign of how much the WoW playerbase has shrunk, honestly.

We used to have enough people on these forums to maintain

1x chat thread
    1x Hope/Hate/Happiness thread
    1x thread for every single class

The chat thread would get a hundred posts a day, the HHH thread maybe 30-40, and each class thread would have 5-10 a day, which is honestly still more than this solo chat thread gets these days.

It's nuts.

And I think a big part of that is how easy the game has become. There used to be a lot of chatting about the best way to do things, lots of discussion around theorycrafting. Now it's all so easy there's nothing to talk about.

I still go back and look at my Shaman thread from back in WOTLK. It was pretty much to date the only thread I EVER started an I have been posting here nearing 12 years now.

We also used to have on top of all that MANY guild threads that were all very active. And I know at least OS had its own forum elsewhere on top of that.

There is also the fact that I think WoW had its own sub forum outright. Before it was made into simply an all encompassing MMORPG sub forum.

The fun that was had in those class posts during expansion announcements was monumental. There were insane discussions over everything you could come up with when they expanded those old talent trees.

• Options
    Guys guys guys

look at this post i made in 2007, before I even hit level cap

oh my god I'm trying to claim that you don't need food buffs

what manner of abomination was I

i want to murder past dhalphir
    Maybe if I was at the absolute cap of gear and experience, and was looking to squeeze "just 20 more spell damage!" out of my class, I'd consider it.

But as it stands now, in the time it would take me to raise cooking and fishing from 1-x level would cost $texas time that if I spent it instancing, I could get gear that might give me an extra 100 spell damage.

Back then though that was a common opinion to have. In fact a lot of people back then didn't even bother with enchanting their gear for a similar reason.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    If that was in TBC, then it actually was silly. I mean I guess before cap and you are raiding it makes sense, but you couldn't really breathe in a TBC raid without the absolute maximum setup.

• Options
    PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    I was like, "Why the hell am I being tagged in a WoW thread?". But now it makes sense.

I quit playing when my friends did. I could never quite click with another group and ran out of things to do solo. Also I was bad.

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Okay well I'm going to start talking about Legion, because I've been wanting to talk about it with a bunch of guildies but nobody seems to be thinking about it too much.

I can't decide between continuing with my Brewmaster, or moving on to a Holy Paladin! Which do we think is going to have the cooler artifact?

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    If a Brewmaster doesn't have some kind of huge keg I'll be sad.

I'm gonna be sad.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    I'm pretty disappointed in the Mistweaver artifact that we've seen so far. I mean if you go Paladin then you get the Ashbringer to swing around when doing dailies and shit, which is totally sweet.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    I am worried about that aspect actually. If the artifacts are like the rings, I don't want to have to fork out a mountain of gold just to make sure my off-spec has a weapon that's actually useful for doing dailies on.

• Options
    Will holy paladins also get ashbringer? Or would they get a 1h or shield?

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    i can understand not wanting to get too crazy in the first run of artifacts but if they keep the system i hope they really do just start giving classes more unique weapons like a keg for brewmasters or like, some floating skull for warlocks or something

it's an opportunity to really mix up the visuals of individual specs and make them stand out more

Will holy paladins also get ashbringer? Or would they get a 1h or shield?

each spec is a different weapon, and ret gets ashbringer

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    My guess for Holy Pallies is whatever lore holy hammer there is and a corresponding lore libram as the offhand.

• Options
    Someone mentioned that Uther's hammer would be a good bet, IIRC it's still enshrined somewhere because none of the other paladins think they are worthy enough to use it.

• Options
    Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    There's actually way more information about Artifact weapons than I thought out. Frost mages are getting the first Guardian of Tristfall's staff.... huh.

Holy Paladins...? Could be Uther's Hammer of the Lightbringer. Could be Maraad's Crystal Hammer + Libram (although, his hammer is a two hander, right...?). I suspect they'll go with an offhand and let protection paladins have the shield. Keeps the two visually distinct.

It's hard to say for so many specializations. Paladin has a strong class identity, prominent characters and history to draw from. Maybe they'll redeem Arthas' old weapons before he picked up Frostmourne. Who knows?

What about Priests though? Notable priests include Vol'jin, Tyrande, and Anduin. Voodoo, Elune, The Light. That's a pretty wide spectrum. How do you create artifact weapons that will speak to three separate religions that are so far apart thematically? The easy answer is to just remake Benediction and Anethema... but I wonder about that. What history does that weapon have compared to the Doomhammer and Ashbringer? Even the weapons that Blizzard has been making up for Artifacts have been tied to big events in Warcraft history.

What do you even do for Discipline Priests? Has there ever been a Discipline Priest in the lore?

Blizzard's going to have to do a great deal of inventing for many of these weapons. It's also a shame that caster weapons aren't really used in any casting animations.

Corp.Shephard on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Ok, so I've hit lvl 100. What should I do to start gearing up?

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Ok, so I've hit lvl 100. What should I do to start gearing up?

Tannan Jungle is your best bet.

Do you have any mods to track where treasures are? Tannan is sprinkled with 650 item level gear hidden in the jungle. You can get a decent power boost from it. It will be difficult to fight there if you're an extremely fresh level 100.... but you might be able to nab some treasures to boost your strength if you know where to look.

Items drop in chests and off mobs in Tannan that can be made into 650 gear for nearly every slot. You can also buy this gear 650 using Apexis Crystals. They can be gained from doing daily quests and daily events in Tannan. This "weekend' is a special event that will give you bonus resources for completing 5 events in Tannan. Just doing your daily quests for two days in a row should get you this although you can do it in one day as well.

If you haven't already you might want to build a Dwarven Bunker/War Mill back at your Garrison. It will increase the chance that items will "upgrade" when you find them in Tannan. 650 items will become 675 item level. It's a decent boost in power. It's the same system that gave you epic quest rewards while you were leveling.

Get that full 650ish item level and you'll be well on your way. Raids, Mythic Dungeons, and other options will open up.

Corp.Shephard on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Is it worth the money to upgrade my steelforged weapons?

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    What do you have? 640 weapons? ... Weapons? Do you dual wield?

I would say... probably not. If you are diligent in doing daily quests in Tannan you can rack up like... 8k Apexis Crystals every day. If you get 20k Crystals you can get a special item that upgrades any 650 item that was created from a "baleful token" in Tannan to an item level 695. So you'd get a weapon token, use it, hopefully get a 650 item level weapon with good stats, then use the token to upgrade it to a 695.

If you're very rich then you could upgrade your weapon to a 705. That requires all 5 upgrades though. It'll be... pretty expensive.

695 is very good. Normal Archimonde, the final boss of the current raid, gives 705 item level. It is a fairly competitive item level. Mythic dungeons, a good catchup mechanic for new characters, gives 685 weapons. You can get a 705 weapon from mythic dungeons but you gatta' get pretty lucky!

Corp.Shephard on
  • Options
    They're 630s, and this is a frost DK.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Upgrading items is expensive, especially since you can get a 695 (10 ivls lower) for nothing. With two weapons? Totally not worth it. Hang around Tanaan and get some Baleful weapons, then upgrade them with apexis. Easy, good weapons. As for those mythic dungeon weapons, you've actually got a good chance to warforge in mythic dungeons (3x the normal chance IIRC) plus you're guaranteed at least one item from the final boss.

• Options
    PUG raid leader asking for everyone to be in vent for a normal hellfire citadel. I apply, link my AOTC, get instant invite, normal. Then get berated to be in vent. I hop in, and there's a whole room full of loud mouthed, swearing Americans, and a couple of girls as well, who are being mercilessly hit on, and the whole thing is very creepy and awkward. So I mute all my sound and mic. Raid leader does the old trick of doing a readycheck and saying in vent "if you're in vent hit NO to the readycheck"

he forgets that everybody can see what everybody else clicks on the readycheck these days. So I just wait a few seconds and click no if I see a lot of people clicking no.

Win win.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I was checking If you could give heirlooms to a Panda at level 1 and then goofing off and thought you really don't get that style of weapon ever do you?
    You can give them heirlooms if you want to do a doubleagent level

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    I still play, mostly with my garrison(s) and hunting rare mounts.

I need a new computer and I don't really have the time for raiding anymore

• Options
    How...exactly...do holy priests work? Are chakras something you swap in and out of, or are they a per encounter type thing?

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    shrug I don't know for sure I know the red one is dps and the yellow for healing the other one I have no idea
    Really I have no idea as I benched my priests to just pet battle to level them since shadow is not fun this exp

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Swapping. They change your Holy Word ability based on what Chakra you're in (AoE circle, single target big heal or weird offensive disorient thing). The AoE one also does some stuff with Circle of Healing (I think?) while the single target heal one makes your heals refresh Renew on every cast.

Lorahalo on
This discussion has been closed.