[WOW] Luke 8:30: "What is thy name ? And he said, Legion."

1919293949597»

Posts

  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    One thing I am pretty sad about is that I don't think I ever backed up my old screenshots from my vanilla experience, including the moment I dinged level 60 for the first time.

    InfamyDeferred
  • MercadeMercade Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    I remember hitting 60 for the first time. I grinded mobs in Andorhal for the last quarter of the level then proceeded to lose my shit when I dinged. I was actually 30 days /played hitting 60 because I spent so much of 50-60 in AV back when it was an all-night affair. Plus, getting ganked and corpse-camped was a part of life. But yeah, reaching 60 was momentous. I had fun the whole damn way up.

    Mercade on
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Huh, well this is... a thing. Mark Kern decided to post a video(by way of Kungen's channel) regarding the ol' legacy server demands.

  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Huh, well this is... a thing. Mark Kern decided to post a video(by way of Kungen's channel) regarding the ol' legacy server demands.


    Aside from a few good points, that made me groan a few times. Especially the slogan aping a particular presidential candidate.

    Arthil
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. 5386-8443-8937Registered User regular
    Almost everything about Kern is groan worthy.

    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    drunkenpandarenCorp.ShephardArthilBobbleOatsIshtaar
  • AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    Hahaha get the fuck out of here with that Twitch bullshit.

    No one wants to fucking watch vanilla wow.

    I don't even know what Mark Kern's angle is. Does he think this is going to land him a job back at blizzard or something. Dude's a fucking idiot.

    God this is infuriating.

    Kungen is also an idiot. Dude is nostalgic because sitting silently doing nothing but watching youtube videos is the most popular his channel has ever been and ever will be. He'll hopefully be banned soon enough.

    MorkathnaengwenICUbOats
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2016
    His angle is that he's been a complete failure after leaving Blizzard and is desperately trying to cling to his legacy as a vanilla dev. He's the person that ran Firefall into the ground

    EDIT: I love the "you changed the game for one person!" line. Yeah, replacing a character pose in a game is the same as installing new servers running old versions of software and having a team dedicated to handling that shit.

    Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    MorkathLorahaloSmrtnikSteevLEnclaveofGnomesnaengwenICUbOatsIshtaarKamar
  • I needed a gnome to post.I needed a gnome to post. i'm the bat guy (bluh)Registered User regular
    replacing a character pose that you were already replacing before someone made a thread about it

    dude is playing a politics game of half-truths

    liEt3nH.png
    LorahaloKyanilisCorp.ShephardBobbleEnclaveofGnomesnaengwenOats
  • TakelTakel Registered User regular
    As far as I'm concerned he's just trying to make gold out of the once in a lifetime coincidence of a pirate server being legally taken down which was running a version of a game he had links to plus having an axe to grind.

    Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    One thing I am pretty sad about is that I don't think I ever backed up my old screenshots from my vanilla experience, including the moment I dinged level 60 for the first time.

    I have them on a hard drive I think has a virus but I need to check it as it has other pictures and stuff I want

  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    .

    Mages still suck to quest/level with...

    Way back in vanilla through late TBC I leveled my mage frost with little issue as it was fun
    but then a certain crafted armour set made me go fire and never look back and then the changes to fire in MOP and WOD made me really question the fun of playing a mage

  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    His angle is that he's been a complete failure after leaving Blizzard and is desperately trying to cling to his legacy as a vanilla dev. He's the person that ran Firefall into the ground

    EDIT: I love the "you changed the game for one person!" line. Yeah, replacing a character pose in a game is the same as installing new servers running old versions of software and having a team dedicated to handling that shit.

    Yup, that particular line really made me groan. It definitely plays to the audience he's been catering to prior to this WoW thing.

    Smrtnik
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    @Takel I see what you did there.

    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: ArthilCwcuLUM.jpg
  • MugsleyMugsley Registered User regular
    and lots of people couldn't afford them even then.


    This is the main attraction, to me, for a Vanilla server. I didn't understand the economy and the AH until late-BC/early-WotLK. I want to go back, just to see how well I can do with the old economy.

    Mooncloth
    Arcanite
    Wool, with its dearth of supply
    Health/Mana pots (oh God, yes, multi-potting)
    Traveler's Bags

    Man, that would be fun.



    And I still have a video kicking around somewhere from when I turned in the quest in Silithus to ding 60 on my Hunter (first char), way back in 2006.

  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    After digging through numerous subdirectories on my PC, I found the remains of a personal website I created in grad school. And I found a handful of old WoW screenshots, including the first time I hit 60:

    z4fs0af6lrnn.jpg

    I also found my accompanying livejournal entry about it. According to that, I hit level 60 on March 13, 2005 at 12:30 AM with my human warrior. It took me 22 days, 14 hours, and 15 minutes. I got my copy of the game a week after its official release.

    I'm still sad I didn't keep my whole folder of screenshots from my original vanilla install, though. I remember sometime in 2005 or 2006 when I uninstalled the game completely because it was interfering with my grad school work and I didn't touch it until the end of the semester. The screenshots directory was deleted in the uninstall process.

    reVerse
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    I still have a bunch of screenshots from the closed beta of vanilla wow as well as early vanilla. I played a Hunter in closed beta, and I distinctly remember some bafflingly stupid shit they had implemented in the time. My favorites were feign death being on a 5 minute cooldown and receiving res sickness when you got back up, and in a now-unsurprising move of "fuck testing", Blizzard not bothering to implement Hunter talent trees until about a day before the end of the beta. (all other class talents had been implemented for several weeks)

    I distinctly remember being rejected for run Upper Blackrock Spire runs with the other closed testers on the server because I didn't have my talent trees yet, and UBRS was totes such a difficult instance as it was at the time that they could only afford to take players with talents.

  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    I distinctly remember being rejected for run Upper Blackrock Spire runs with the other closed testers on the server because I didn't have my talent trees yet, and UBRS was totes such a difficult instance as it was at the time that they could only afford to take players with talents.

    Well to be fair hunters in general didn't have that back then.

    Oh we're talking about talent trees.

    camo_sig2.png
    PSN: AuthorFrost
    mageofstorm.png
    reVerseStyrofoam SammichArthilNobodySmrtnikdrunkenpandaren
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    My first screen shot in all its jaw-dropping glory:
    WoWScrnShot_070705_151445.jpg

    And my first mount:
    aamunkoi_level_40.jpg

    BobbleInfamyDeferred
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Man, that's something I wish Blizz would copy from other games.

    Apparently in the new TOR patch they're getting rid of the concept of PvE and PvP servers, and just making it so every server has different world instances for PvE and PvP. You can toggle between them via a menu option.

    Maybe to prevent abuse make it so you can only toggle in a rested zone/inn/garrison?

    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    InfamyDeferreddrunkenpandaren
  • Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Man, that's something I wish Blizz would copy from other games.

    Apparently in the new TOR patch they're getting rid of the concept of PvE and PvP servers, and just making it so every server has different world instances for PvE and PvP. You can toggle between them via a menu option.

    Maybe to prevent abuse make it so you can only toggle in a rested zone/inn/garrison?

    That sure would be nice. All of my high level characters are on a PvP server because that's where the other people I knew were...but none of them play anymore. So I still have to deal with PvP, which I fucking hate, unless I reroll or spend money to transfer.

  • NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Fond vanilla memories? Most of Un'goro crater; the crystal cave, the Zelda quest. The first time we did Ulduman. Spending an entire day in an 8 hour Alterac Valley battle. Farming Sunken Temple with speed dragon runs by blinking past the barriers. Honestly, I remember a lot of the game back then with fond memories because I was a tanky-warrior and was in an uber-type guild, so I got to see and do everything. I'm sure if I had been more casual, or unguilded, I'd have looked back on it a little more severely like I do for TBC.

    I really liked the big, sprawling dungeons like BRD / LBRS/UBRS when they were all one instance. Some of it was a bit crap at first, with Angerforge dropping greens initially. I had that nice 1h he dropped and the Hand of Justice. The 1h at the time had an aura that affected the entire party, it was pretty keen.

    The original iteration of the key to Onyxia's lair was pretty good, it had a nice stormwind tabard in a crate of goodies that you got at the end of it.

    Nosf on
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    Fond vanilla memories? Most of Un'goro crater; the crystal cave, the Zelda quest. The first time we did Ulduman. Spending an entire day in an 8 hour Alterac Valley battle. Farming Sunken Temple with speed dragon runs by blinking past the barriers. Honestly, I remember a lot of the game back then with fond memories because I was a tanky-warrior and was in an uber-type guild, so I got to see and do everything. I'm sure if I had been more casual, or unguilded, I'd have looked back on it a little more severely like I do for TBC.

    I really liked the big, sprawling dungeons like BRD / LBRS/UBRS when they were all one instance. Some of it was a bit crap at first, with Angerforge dropping greens initially. I had that nice 1h he dropped and the Hand of Justice. The 1h at the time had an aura that affected the entire party, it was pretty keen.

    The original iteration of the key to Onyxia's lair was pretty good, it had a nice stormwind tabard in a crate of goodies that you got at the end of it.

    I actually look upon my experiences with vanilla pretty fondly too and I was not in any amazing guilds. The whole thing was a new experience for me because it was my first MMO. When I got tired of playing my warrior (leveled in the protection tree because I had no idea what I was doing), I played the hell out of alts. I saw most of the leveling content for both factions.

    I was pretty excited for The Burning Crusade release, although in the end I had a pretty lonely experience with it. The first guild I'd joined in vanilla was led by someone who I realized was a loudmouthed jerk, so I ended up leaving it and had no real further contact with them. The second guild I was in was pretty much just casual players like me. We ran 5-mans together, but that was about all we could do. Eventually, everyone just sort of stopped playing or moved on to other guilds. I think one or two of the friends I had from that guild came back for TBC, but they didn't last long. I stuck it out for a while, but in the end I only saw a handful of the instances in that expansion.

    Wrath of the Lich King almost went the same way for me until the formation of our forum guild on the Draenor realm. That breathed new life into the game for me. I didn't enjoy the next two expansions in the same way, and oddly enough WoD got me to resubscribe for the longest time since vanilla.

  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Man, that's something I wish Blizz would copy from other games.

    Apparently in the new TOR patch they're getting rid of the concept of PvE and PvP servers, and just making it so every server has different world instances for PvE and PvP. You can toggle between them via a menu option.

    Maybe to prevent abuse make it so you can only toggle in a rested zone/inn/garrison?

    That sure would be nice. All of my high level characters are on a PvP server because that's where the other people I knew were...but none of them play anymore. So I still have to deal with PvP, which I fucking hate, unless I reroll or spend money to transfer.

    While it'd be awesome for them to do it... It will never, ever happen. Blizzard hasn't even came up with some kind of bundle if you'd like to transfer multiple characters and not break your bank, they'll gladly let you escape from PvP Hell... If you pay $25(or however many characters you cherish enough to spend more on to transfer.)

    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: ArthilCwcuLUM.jpg
  • TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    Hey, now all accounts include WoD. Which means that everybody gets new character models!

    Cool.

  • MugsleyMugsley Registered User regular
    So, not to be a dick, but why don't you guys pay to transfer however many characters you want to move; then buy the equivalent number of Tokens with gold? Then you really just bought yourself some more game time and got rewarded with realm transfers.

    I bit the bullet back in MoP and moved my characters and I never regretted that move.

  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    So, not to be a dick, but why don't you guys pay to transfer however many characters you want to move; then buy the equivalent number of Tokens with gold? Then you really just bought yourself some more game time and got rewarded with realm transfers.

    I bit the bullet back in MoP and moved my characters and I never regretted that move.

    Paying for one thing with money and for another thing with gold is... a reward? I'm really not following the logic here. You're not being rewarded anything, you're paying for things.

    LD50Lorahalo
  • SkwigelfSkwigelf Passed out in a cloud of farts and cigarette smoke.Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    Mugsley wrote: »
    So, not to be a dick, but why don't you guys pay to transfer however many characters you want to move; then buy the equivalent number of Tokens with gold? Then you really just bought yourself some more game time and got rewarded with realm transfers.

    I bit the bullet back in MoP and moved my characters and I never regretted that move.

    Paying for one thing with money and for another thing with gold is... a reward? I'm really not following the logic here. You're not being rewarded anything, you're paying for things.

    I'm guessing it's basically "Pay $50 to transfer a couple characters, and then buy WoW Tokens with gold and use them to pay for your sub for the next few months and basically make that $50 back since you're effectively playing WoW for free instead of paying $14.99/mo like the rest of these poor schlubs*."

    *I am a poor schlub that will never be able to afford a WoW Token, let alone enough WoW tokens to play for free for several months.

    Mugsley
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    There's so many holes in that logic. Why don't I just buy game time with gold and 'save' money by not transferring? Being able to buy game time with gold doesn't change the price of the transfers. Also, gold isn't free. It represents a significant time investment, and will hopefully have value in legion.

    Edit:
    Also, if you're on a low pop realm, buying game time is a much less valuable proposition. There's just less gold on low pop servers. 'Rich' on a low pop realm probably means somewhere around 400k gold, whereas that's poverty level for an end game raider on a full realm.

    LD50 on
  • RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    So Legion is $50?

    That seems high, especially for a game that's 12 years old and requires a subscription fee. Weren't the previous expansion only about $25-40?

    RT800 on
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    So Legion is $50?

    That seems high, especially for a game that's 12 years old and requires a subscription fee. Weren't the previous expansion only about $25-40?

    Expansions were all $40 until Warlords of Draenor which was $50.

    Inflation alone means $40 from 2006 is worth nearly $46 now.

  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    RT800 wrote: »
    So Legion is $50?

    That seems high, especially for a game that's 12 years old and requires a subscription fee. Weren't the previous expansion only about $25-40?

    Expansions were all $40 until Warlords of Draenor which was $50.

    Inflation alone means $40 from 2006 is worth nearly $46 now.
    Except expansions used to be like 25-30 bucks, and even in 1999 thirty bucks then is about 42 now.

    It's a Blizzard tax, or you can consider that it comes with a discounted character boost.

    YL9WnCY.png
  • EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    There has also been less and less content patches per expansion even with the rise in price. I'm really hoping they get things together for legion now that theyve had a chance to clean house with titan and overwatch, and have integrated people into the wow team. I'm not sure wow would do very well if legion performs as well as wod has.

    As far as transferring characters, it is almost easier to just relevel a character with heirlooms and hit the battle pet market to transfer gold between servers. If you havent used the legion preorder boost that is basically a free way to "transfer" servers. Of course, all of that doesn't work if you are very attached to a character because it is exalted with a bunch of factions or has other achievements. The cost of realm/faction transfers is insane though, and will probably never use those services again.

    3ds FC: 0645 - 7166 - 9801
    Smrtnik
  • SkwigelfSkwigelf Passed out in a cloud of farts and cigarette smoke.Registered User regular
    BC was $39.99
    Wrath was $39.99
    Cata was $39.99
    MoP was $39.99
    WoD was $49.99
    Legion is $49.99

    The price-drops happened later(When WotLK came out they offered a WoW Battle Chest with Vanilla + BC for $39.99, and then continued adding expansions and dropping the price as new expansions were released. Now you can buy WoW for $19.99 and get everything up to MoP).

This discussion has been closed.