As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MechWarrior Online] HEAD TO THE LZ FOR EXTRACTION TO NEW THREAD!

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Nips wrote: »
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    They're legitimately great weapons, but most clams won't stop whining about the burn time.

Well when you are given a multimegaton nuclear device, you're gonna complain when your ICBMs are mounted with Kiloton warheads.

even if the people you are fighting have the technological equivalent of throwing rocks.

"Good old rock! Nothing beats rock."

*Warms up the engine on his Trebuchet*

I have a strong feeling your trebuchet would be at least 300% more effective if it actually launched giant rocks.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    They're legitimately great weapons, but most clams won't stop whining about the burn time.

Well when you are given a multimegaton nuclear device, you're gonna complain when your ICBMs are mounted with Kiloton warheads.

even if the people you are fighting have the technological equivalent of throwing rocks.

I have a strong feeling your trebuchet would be at least 300% more effective if it actually launched giant rocks.

It worked for Ewoks vs. AT-STs

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Erlkönig wrote: »

So what you're saying..is we need functional hand actuators so we can pick up trees and smash enemy mechs.

I agree.

• Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    Bought my second mech , the hunchback . Having much more fun , the ac 20 is a real fun weapon.

• Options
    Bought my second mech , the hunchback . Having much more fun , the ac 20 is a real fun weapon.

Learn to torso twist, people target that hump because its where most of a hunches firepower is.

Protect it with all you're worth.

• Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular

Dat cannon, unf. Nothing's quite as satisfying as dropping a 20-large on an enemy target. A Dual-20 JagerMech is still one of my favorite rides.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    Dude I now want an assault that focuses on that weapon , what should I save up for

• Options
    Dude I now want an assault that focuses on that weapon , what should I save up for

King Crab

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options

I think the answers right now are King Crab and Mauler. The rest of the IS assaults don't have hardpoint arrangements to mount more than one, really. Definitely the K.Crab, though, and I can totally vouch for it.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    GrainGrain Registered User regular

So what you're saying..is we need functional hand actuators so we can pick up trees and smash enemy mechs.

I agree.

There's actually a rule for this in the tabletop game. It acts as a 1 use hatchet. You have to be in a forest hex to acquire one though.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

White: 1721-3651-2720
  • Options
    Grain wrote: »

I agree.

There's actually a rule for this in the tabletop game. It acts as a 1 use hatchet. You have to be in a forest hex to acquire one though.

I, more than anything, just want to reach out and grab a speedy little shithole light mech with my crab as its running past me

and give it the clamps so hard that it gets beautifully bifurcated.

• Options
    Grain wrote: »

I agree.

Blown-off enemy limbs are so much more effective. :D

Oh man, this looks like it could be a bigger Hunchback IIc. If only the cannons were shoulder-mounted....
    MAL-MX90: 2xAC/20(7.5t), 2xMPL, STD300

How's the torso-twist on the Mauler? Curious how good it is at rolling 'dem shoulders.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Orogogus wrote: »
    Are you thinking of the booby prizes from the grab bag events?

Nope forgot when I played MWO, bought a Commando as my first mech (since I never ventured into this thread long ago) and would get random weapons tossed into my mech bays as salvage after wins. I remember thinking how in the heck I would possibly use a LL after a match.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    Cant find the mauler in store so I will now save up for a King crab

• Options
    It will be a while for the Mauler to show up for cbills since it just came out for money recently. I'm sure you'll enjoy the King Crab once you get it, I know I did.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Betsuni wrote: »

Nope forgot when I played MWO, bought a Commando as my first mech (since I never ventured into this thread long ago) and would get random weapons tossed into my mech bays as salvage after wins. I remember thinking how in the heck I would possibly use a LL after a match.

Holy crap, that was a thing in Alpha/Early Beta? I'm kinda sorry I missed out on that.

I mean, it's functionally no different from getting C-bills (if all the numbers are balanced correctly, *PGI*), but sounds amazing.

Nips on
  • Options
    It will be a while for the Mauler to show up for cbills since it just came out for money recently. I'm sure you'll enjoy the King Crab once you get it, I know I did.

Tracking , im sure it will take me awhile to get the credits anyway.

• Options

Holy crap, that was a thing in Alpha/Early Beta? I'm kinda sorry I missed out on that.

I mean, it's functionally no different from getting C-bills (if all the numbers are balanced correctly, *PGI*), but sounds amazing.

Here I thought you all played in early beta... Now everyone is making me question my memory.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    edited October 2015

Here I thought you all played in early beta... Now everyone is making me question my memory.

I remember getting in just before they removed knockdowns and the whole repair/rearm mechanic.

EDIT - so I guess that was mid-beta.

Erlkönig on
  • Options
    HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular

Closed beta just had the generic salvage system. But I came in later. Even after armor values were doubled.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    Armor values were doubled off the bat, IIRC. Repair/rearm and salvage were still closed beta. I took a break before open beta started, I think.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    Handgimp wrote: »
    Armor values were doubled off the bat, IIRC. Repair/rearm and salvage were still closed beta. I took a break before open beta started, I think.

Ok that is the MWO I remember playing before getting frustrated and quitting. Repair/rearming was such a pain for me since I could only sneak off to play once a month if I was lucky. Sheesh, so what you are saying is that I was in closed beta and never even knew it? Guess that was a possibility since I made my username way back when they only had a website.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    I'd consult our giant illegal PM chain for specifics, but Tube baleeted the shit out of it once he found out.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    So NGNG went off on a one hour podcast about how Clan alphas are too high, but ghost heat is a terrible system can't address it.

First off, no shit guys, where have you been for a year and a half. Second of all, no quick fixes? Are you fucking kidding?

How about 4 ER/Pulse Mediums trigger ghost heat for a max 28/32 point alpha. Bam, right fucking there is like half your goddamn problem. Holy shit guys.

edit: Also, ghost heat falloff over 0.5 seconds would be great, and shouldn't be that bad to implement right? You fire at 0.49 seconds and get 1% of the ghost heat value instead of 100%

nonoffensive on
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Huh. "Art Director and Program Manager for [mobile games]."

This job description does not incline me to put strong stock in the opinions voiced there.

[QuickEdit] Also, maybe frontloaded/high-alpha damage might not matter as much, if there were any objectives that didn't include "Shoot the Other Guy" that mattered at all.

Nips on
  • Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    Also, maybe alphas would be less of a problem if out heat meter wasn't so xbawks huge and we instead had to care more about the rate that we sink heat.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Also, maybe alphas would be less of a problem if out heat meter wasn't so xbawks huge and we instead had to care more about the rate that we sink heat.

Actually, the more I read the MWO system and the TT system, the more I realize that the MWO system does pretty closely resemble the TT, what it is missing is all the heat penalties below the 30pt shutdown.

Pilot skills also create more of a gap on top of that. (Weapons generate less heat, heat sinks become more effective)

The super fast refire rate also increases the value.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    SutibunRiSutibunRi Montreal, Quebec, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    I'd consult our giant illegal PM chain for specifics, but Tube baleeted the shit out of it once he found out.

I can see dead illegal PM chains.
    But would never post in one again.

Consulting it for anything is the work of hours, the only navigation is "show older messages" that shows you the previous 20 or so messages, and considering that thread was going at IRC speeds at times.. minutes.

Edit: My copy of the PM chain is 1214 messages long.
    Edit #2: I may have exaggerated how bad it was.

SutibunRi on
  • Options

I feel like its in a fairly good place at the moment. Being able to fire effectively for about 15 seconds on most builds makes it important to maintain line-of-sight so you can max out your damage potential, instead of just a bunch of peeking and poking because you can't fire twice in a row anyway.

System failures at high heat sound a lot better to me. Stuff like reduced sensor range, loss of targeting info, increased beam durations and weapon cooldowns. Makes it hard to overheat completely, and deal damage at long ranges.

• Options
    SutibunRi wrote: »

Consulting it for anything is the work of hours, the only navigation is "show older messages" that shows you the previous 20 or so messages, and considering that thread was going at IRC speeds at times..

Hmm, I guess I deleted myself out of it or something. Oh well. You kinda had to be there.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2015

Consulting it for anything is the work of hours, the only navigation is "show older messages" that shows you the previous 20 or so messages, and considering that thread was going at IRC speeds at times..

Hmm, I guess I deleted myself out of it or something. Oh well. You kinda had to be there.

Holy shit Catapults are so OP guys, if they aren't double Gauss/AC20'ing you in the face, they are pinpoint alpha'ing your CT for 72 damage with SRMs. And you can't even hit their Side Torsos because the CT is so big :( How can you hope to break through 60 armor in time to survive?

nonoffensive on
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular

Holy shit Catapults are so OP guys, if they aren't double Gauss/AC20'ing you in the face, they are pinpoint alpha'ing your CT for 72 damage with SRMs.

sigh

how little we knew back in those days

• Options
    SutibunRiSutibunRi Montreal, Quebec, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    I miss brawling with a catapult.. it was SO FUN.

Edit: Well, looks like I'm updating MWO now..

SutibunRi on
  • Options
    I miss brawling with a catapult.. it was SO FUN.

Edit: Well, looks like I'm updating MWO now..

One of us! One of us! One of us!

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    iirc Cat, even today, has the noble honor of being like..one of 4 IS mechs that can mount double AC20

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    I still think it could be good again...If the shrunk it down... And gave it proper jump jets.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    I think its time I petition @Nips for an Oosik sig of my very own. Pretty please?

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • Options
    Oh yeah, I still don't have one of those lol.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    I still think it could be good again...If the shrunk it down... And gave it proper jump jets.

Shrink its torso by 30%, and give it completely new arms that are..like..how can I describe it in text..

[_]ˉˉ ˉˉ[_] with the ˉˉ parts above the STs. so they are kinda..hugging the side torsos.

• Options
    Also I'm in vent for the next little bit if anyone wants to get stompy.

PwH4Ipj.jpg