As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MechWarrior Online] HEAD TO THE LZ FOR EXTRACTION TO NEW THREAD!

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Unlucky wrote: »
    So, I used to play and have recently picked this game back up. I'm Aussie so bashing mechs with the Oosiks doesn't really seem viable.

Questions:

Clan mechs. What are these gameplay-wise? They seem crazy expensive and have superior(?) weaponry?
    Are not-clan mechs now crap in comparison? My lore knowledge is limited.
    Factions. Is this sort of like the traditional "Clans" from MMO's ect grouping wise?
    Artemis is expensive to deck a mech out in from the get-go. When did they introduce Artemis specific LRM-5,10,20 ect?
    Is Artemis worth it? (It tightens up the spread of missiles, right?)

1a: Clan mechs are generally superior to IS mechs. Yes their weapons are superior. If any clam complains about their laser burn time, they're being disingenuous and forgetting to mention that their lasers inflict damage at a faster rate than most IS lasers. They do burn longer, but that's just because they're pilling on even more damage.
    1b: The "downside" of clan mechs is that they can't change their engine or upgrades like endosteel/ferrofibrous armor. This is a detriment to many clan mechs, but that doesn't matter because most every clan player just pilots timber wolves, storm crows, hellbringers, arctic cheetahs, and ebonjaguars which already have a near optimal configuration of engines/upgrades, so they aren't inhibited in the slightest by this drawback.
    1c: Surprisingly, clan mechs really aren't appreciably more expensive than IS mechs. IS mechs need to pay several million credits of "fun tax" to equip DHS, the proper engine, and the appropriate endosteel/ferrofibrous upgrades. The clans just pay that cost upfront. The clan mechs are probably cheaper if you take into account that you only need to swap out omni-pods to try a different build compared to buying a new mech for the IS.

2: In general? Yes, IS mechs are crap in comparison. Especially because of stuff like the tremendous balance disparity between clan XL engines and IS XL engines. However some IS mechs have sufficiently potent quirks that let them outperform the clans in one small niche. Fun-fact, scuttlebutt says that PGI's next balance plan involves removing the quirks that are the only thing keeping IS mechs on life support. No it doesn't make sense to us either. The IS mechs that stick out the most right now are Firestarters, Thunderbolt 5SS, and Stalker 4N.

3: The factions only really matter for community warfare. Even then, community warfare is mostly IS vs clans, so you can help out people from another successor state. There is some infighting between the successor states. The clans pretty much never fight each other.

4: Artemis has been around for ages. Whether or not it is worth it depends on the mech.
    LRMS: Artemis tightens the spread, but only for direct fired LRMS. IT DOES NOTHING FOR INDIRECT FIRE.
    SRMS: Artemis also tightens the spread.

Generally LRMS are terrible weapons. Don't fall for that trap. ECM and the Radar Deprivation module will make acquiring indirect missile locks extraordinarily impractical. Direct fired missile locks are essentially strictly worse than every other long range weapon.

If you have the tonnage and crit slots for the upgrade, they can be useful. But you need to make a judgement call for each mech build. LRM boats receive minimal benefit from it, but many take it if they have the crits and tonnage because they accept the sorry fact that they will need to spot for their own shots frequently and their missiles will need every single buff they can get when in a direct fire shooting match against greatly superior lasers, gauss rifles, autocannons, etc.

SRMs receive a HUGE buff from artemis and they pretty much would always like to have it, but most SRM mechs are small lightweight mechs that can have difficulty having the budget to afford the tonnage and crit tax of equipping artemis.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    Thank you everyone so far for the replies, learning a lot here.

Tiers, I am currently Tier 4, I'm guessing 5 tiers? 1 is the highest\best tier?

Fantastic
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Unlucky wrote: »
    Thank you everyone so far for the replies, learning a lot here.

Tiers, I am currently Tier 4, I'm guessing 5 tiers? 1 is the highest\best tier?

That is correct.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Yes. Tier 1 is best. Although think of it less as a measure of skill and more like ranking up in battlefield. Being skilled has a loose correlation to how quickly you'll rank up. Emphasis on loose because some of the best actions you can take in a battle get rewarded very little in the score board.

Also it is important to note that while clan mechs tend to have a distinct advantage, it is not insurmountable. You just have to play better than them.

I've mostly been salty the past couple of days because the Black Knight (the newest IS heavy mech) is a miserable mess that falls short in pretty much every metric.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I wonder if they will start releasing more mechs in standalone packs like this, rather than in tiered sytem they've used for previous 'waves.' The tiered system never really seemed like a good model to me (although maybe nobody would've bought locusts without it)

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    ...I would have bought the Locusts...

I think I only own five. Maybe six. I've got some empty ''Mech bays yet, though...

[Edit]

It turns out, I own seven. Still doesn't feel like enough.

[Edit 2]

Huh, just noticed I don't own a -3V variant. I'll have to rectify that.

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    I really need to go back to mastering my 3V. Knew I forgot someone while my premium time was activated. Think I just figured out how I landed in Rank 5. Levelling my Locusts and Urbanmech...

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Betsuni wrote: »
    I really need to go back to mastering my 3V. Knew I forgot someone while my premium time was activated. Think I just figured out how I landed in Rank 5. Levelling my Locusts and Urbanmech...

Scrub Tier or Bust, my friend. It's the only way to play a fun game, where you can play with whatever chassis you'd like, as opposed to one where constant dick-stabbing is required.

I wonder how many matches I'll have to run in my Locusts to back down out of the top end of Tier 4.

Also, I discovered that the -3V is an interesting variant. Its hardpoints are pretty Meh compared to some of the other variants, but it has these outlier armor and structure quirks compared to the rest.

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    Yeah the 3V is an odd bug. Had a good time with it till I parked it for the Urbies.

The bottom rank has its advantages and disadvantages. On one hand you don't see much ECM and radar depreciation, but in the other hand you see tons of angry bees flying about. Lots of goofy builds such as Urbanmechs with flamers and Locusts with MPL. But strangely enough when it gets to be evening gaming I swear that the ranking goes away and suddenly I find myself against against UAC DWs, Streakcrows, ACs and tons of ECM Clan tech everywhere.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Man what is this reasonable pricing nonsense. Its like they are trying to sell things now.

? It's a worse deal than the larger packs they had before.

1 set of 3 Clan mechs if FIFTY FIVE DOLLARS compared to 20 for the marauder.

That's ala cart, which is a bad deal compared to the full packs. The initial clan invasion pack was something like $120 for four types of mechs (12 total) and a bunch of extras.

I'm still failing how to see 120/12 or 10 dollars a mech is a better deal than 20/3 or 6.33 dollars per mech.

The Clan mechs had the cbill boost so they were the equivalent of the 40 pack not the 20.

• Options
    TayrunTayrun Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Ok I've got my 25 matches and I like the Thunderbolt style.

I'm likely to want the firepower of the heavy class or the higher end of the medium class.
    Missiles - no
    Ballistics - meh
    Lasers - YUP
    I prefer to move between brawling and medium range, so none of that long range nonsense.
    Jump Jets - meh, not just yet.
    My aim is bad, so no PPCs.

What mech do I want, which variant, and what do I need to buy and change to make it perfect?

Also what do I do about pilot XP and these improvements to weaponry and all that?

Tayrun on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Ignore the modules for now they are a huge cash sink. Once you have XP on a purchased mech use it to unlock skills. You want to get three of the same mech, because you have to fill out the bottom part of the tree on all three to get to the second tier.

• Options
    HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Tayrun wrote: »

I'm likely to want the firepower of the heavy class or the higher end of the medium class.
    Missiles - no
    Ballistics - meh
    Lasers - YUP
    I prefer to move between brawling and medium range, so none of that long range nonsense.

What mech do I want, which variant, and what do I need to buy and change to make it perfect?

Also what do I do about pilot XP and these improvements to weaponry and all that?

Start with Thunderbolts. Get the 5SS, load it down with a standard 300 and all the Medium Pulse Lasers you can.

XIufWXT.jpg

HydroSqueegee on
    kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    Here is the standard, boring medium laser Blackjack: BJ-1X

Once the quirks go away, though, feel free to spice it up by removing four extra heat sinks and replacing the arm lasers with medium pulses.

Otherwise, if you want to go straight energy weapons, you're choices are basically the Tbolt or a Hunchback.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    or you can just go Clan and start with a Timberwolf or Stormcrow. both do laser vomit well

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

Pilot XP is broken into two categories: General XP (which sticks with the pilot) and Mech XP (which sticks with the variant of the 'mech; e.g., CN9-A mech XP is separate from CN9-AL mech XP).

Mech XP you use to buy various upgrades that let you run a particular mech better - key ones to get early are usually the +Heat capacity and +Heat dissipation ones, though some mechs (especially ballistics-heavy platforms) don't need them as much. Once you've filled out the basics for 3 variants of a particular chassis (you've "basiced" the CN9-A, the CN9-D, and the CN9-YLW, for instance), you unlock the Elite upgrades for any variant of that chassis for which you complete the Basics. The most important elite upgrade is Speed Tweak; also the most expensive. The convergence speed one does nothing (STILL!), so save it for last. Finishing all of those upgrades ("Eliting a mech") doubles the effects of all of your basic upgrades, which is pretty sweet.

Eliting any three 'mechs in a weight class (any three mediums, etc.) unlocks the Master upgrade for any 'mech in the weight class that has its Elite skills filled in. The Master upgrade is an additional module slot on the mech that can be a weapon or a mech module, so it's pretty cool for end-game stuff.

General XP can be spent on mech upgrades just like Mech XP can, and it's sometimes a good idea to use it to kickstart your progress in a given mech if you've got enough left over (by, e.g., buying the +Heat capacity and +Heat dissipation ones right out of the gate). What it's primarily used for is unlocking weapon and mech modules, which are very expensive (multi-million CBill) pieces of equipment that improve things like weapon range, weapon fire rate, your mech's sensors, etc. This is primarily end-game stuff, so don't worry about it too, too much for now.

The first thing you need to do to any mech you buy is go to the loadout screen and change the setting from "Single Heat Sinks" to "Double Heat Sinks." This will cost you 1.5M CBills, and is usually referred to as the "Fun tax." It sucks, but whatchagonnado.

After that, it's going to depend pretty heavily on which mech you select. Endosteel is a better upgrade than Ferrofibrous, but some mechs want both. Some mechs come with the weapon loadout you want to use, but may need some tweaking (I try to keep it to 3 distinct weapons groups, for instance, so I'll tweak a mech to remove stuff that's more suitable for using 4 or 5), etc.

• Options
    or you can just go Clan and start with a Timberwolf or Stormcrow. both do laser vomit well

And, if you want the ultimate in laser vomit (to the point where you will kill yourself if dare alpha-strike even once), the core Nova-Prime. 12 ER medium lasers makes for a decent trainer to learn fire discipline.

• Options
    If you do choose to go Thunderbolt 5ss you can always save up just enough to get a Firestarter that also uses medium pulse lasers for quirks. Of course it will take some money to tweak it, but at least they share the same weapons so you don't have to double dip for a bit.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options

Missiles - no
    Ballistics - meh
    Lasers - YUP

Start with Thunderbolts. Get the 5SS, load it down with a standard 300 and all the Medium Pulse Lasers you can.

XIufWXT.jpg

Going off this image, there's nothing necessary in the left arm, so why not strip the armour and put it on the legs?

• Options
    HOLY SHIT! What is this magical madness! Finally got around to slapping in the new 390. ran around in testing on my usual medium settings, no stutter, no choppies... nothing. cranked everything up to vvery high detail... mother of god, this game looks fantastic. so much detail with everything cranked up. look at that laser scarring! a nice fine line! it used to just light up the entire panel section it hit and made it glow.

C5frMHo.jpg

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    edited October 2015

@Tayrun
    You wait until you have enough to unlock radar deprivation, then you purchase a copy of the 6 million credit module and never fear missiles again.

Then you repeat the process until you can afford seismic sensor.

After that, just pick what looks fun. There is a chasm in power level difference between the usefulness of most modules and seismic sensors. You need a KF drive to cross the gap between seismic sensor and radar derp.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options

Missiles - no
    Ballistics - meh
    Lasers - YUP

XIufWXT.jpg

Going off this image, there's nothing necessary in the left arm, so why not strip the armour and put it on the legs?

because i use it as a shield and hardly anyone thinks to shoot your legs.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »

And, if you want the ultimate in laser vomit (to the point where you will kill yourself if dare alpha-strike even once), the core Nova-Prime. 12 ER medium lasers makes for a decent trainer to learn fire discipline.

No need to go that far, just remove four and add a TC1 and some heat sinks. A Nova with 8 ERML is roughly equivalent to an IS mech with 6 Large Lasers. You can alpha with it twice before overheating (if needed) once its mastered and its got jumpjets, unlike the "feared" WVR-6K.

• Options
    HOLY SHIT! What is this magical madness! Finally got around to slapping in the new 390. ran around in testing on my usual medium settings, no stutter, no choppies... nothing. cranked everything up to vvery high detail... mother of god, this game looks fantastic. so much detail with everything cranked up. look at that laser scarring! a nice fine line! it used to just light up the entire panel section it hit and made it glow.

C5frMHo.jpg

Welcome to the world outside of 8-bit graphics.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options

Missiles - no
    Ballistics - meh
    Lasers - YUP

XIufWXT.jpg

Sometimes stripping armor from an arm can be useful, but there are two main things to consider.

1: some mechs have arms suitable for being used as shields.

2: When your arm gets destroyed, it starts emitting smoke. That can give away your position to observant enemies.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    Abutt

Missiles - no
    Ballistics - meh
    Lasers - YUP

XIufWXT.jpg

Sometimes stripping armor from an arm can be useful, but there are two main things to consider.

1: some mechs have arms suitable for being used as shields.

2: When your arm gets destroyed, it starts emitting smoke. That can give away your position to observant enemies.

I have tracked so many motherf*ckers by this lately. It really is crazy how bad it can give away your position at times.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular

Missiles - no
    Ballistics - meh
    Lasers - YUP

If you like Lasers, then Thunderbolts are for you, its a Heavy mech.
    The TDR-5S (large lasers), TDR-5SS (medium pulse lasers), TDR-9SE (large pulse lasers).

Which means you get to elite / master them all without having to leave lasers behind. They all have great quirks too.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    Also if you do end up eliteing/mastering those three, you just add one medium and you're ready for CW.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    @HydroSqueegee

Welcome to eyepleasure town.

• Options
    The old lady is off at camp and all the mini Hydro's are at Grandmas. Pizza is on its way, 6 pack is chilling in the fridge.

It's almost game time.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    The old lady is off at camp and all the mini Hydro's are at Grandmas. Pizza is on its way, 6 pack is chilling in the fridge.

It's almost game time.

Just left the shop, picked up a trio of tall boys because I'm cheap, wife said she "just wants me to relax". Yep. Robots will be stompin' in short order.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • Options
    Konphujun wrote: »

It's almost game time.

Just left the shop, picked up a trio of tall boys because I'm cheap, wife said she "just wants me to relax". Yep. Robots will be stompin' in short order.

yeah, unfortunately she'll probably welcome you at the door naked and with a blowjob

Taking away precious stompy bots time.

• Options
    Buttcleft wrote: »

It's almost game time.

yeah, unfortunately she'll probably welcome you at the door naked and with a blowjob

I have this problem a lot. :(

... hence all the mini Hydros.

On the plus side, steam 4 pack games are in my future.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    Do I smell a crab bucket warming up?

*sniff* *sniff*

I think I might

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    Do I smell a crab bucket warming up?

*sniff* *sniff*

I think I might

FINE FINE I'LL LOG ON.

god.

first time since black knight.

• Options
    I feel like it might be time for me to join y'all in stompage.

Setting up TS and that now.

• Options
    edited October 2015

we use vent, not TS.

also @HydroSqueegee you bastard you aint online. HOW CAN YOU SMELL A BUCKET IF YOU ARENT THERE

Edit
    I'm going to drown my anger in ice cream.

Buttcleft on
  • Options

we use vent, not TS.

also @HydroSqueegee you bastard you aint online. HOW CAN YOU SMELL A BUCKET IF YOU ARENT THERE

Edit

I'm in. No mic though. Someone make with the vent PM so we can sort any group shenanagins then I can start with the shooting y'all in the feet.

• Options

It's almost game time.

I have this problem a lot. :(

... hence all the mini Hydros.

On the plus side, steam 4 pack games are in my future.

you should be buyin them now.

Give the kids their steam accounts, laden with millions of cheap on sale games, on their bar mitzvah

• Options
    KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular

we use vent, not TS.

Edit

I'm in. No mic though. Someone make with the vent PM so we can sort any group shenanagins then I can start with the shooting y'all in the feet.

Ahh, fresh meat for the grinder. Or padre bad touch. Whichever happens first.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)