As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MechWarrior Online] HEAD TO THE LZ FOR EXTRACTION TO NEW THREAD!

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    wait, what?

They are actually nerfing gauss?

What more can they do to ruin it outside of that stupid charge mechanic?

You didn't see? they are increasing its cooldown from 4.5s to 5.5s

Only thing I heard was that they were ruining the Grid Iron.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    wait, what?

They are actually nerfing gauss?

What more can they do to ruin it outside of that stupid charge mechanic?

You didn't see? they are increasing its cooldown from 4.5s to 5.5s

Only thing I heard was that they were ruining the Grid Iron.

That's how they are doing it, they are cutting its Gauss cooldown quirks, at the same time they are nerfing the Gauss rifles base cooldown.

The change is also going to do a number on a lot of other IS mechs with Gauss quirks.

All because PGI doesn't have the balls to nerf c-Gauss without nerfing regular Gauss that weighs 3 tons more.

EDIT: Sorry, Gauss is going from 4.0 to 5.5

Current Grid Iron 50% quirk to 30%, which brings its Gauss from 2.0s cooldown to 3.85s

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    So in a salt fueled rage I managed to finish master my Jagermech. I then put it aside cause people just walk through ballistics , its sad. I still do so mech better in my BK even though its a worse much it makes no sense. At least the buffs on Tuesday will make me even stronger. Also Jesus , all the progress stat and psr wise poof gone while I was leveling terrible mechs and grinding the event. Only have 900 more match score to go and I finish.

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    SkannerJATSkannerJAT Registered User regular
    Wait.... so they are nerfing the IS gauss even more. One of my fav builds is my dual gauss Ilya and they are going to screw it even further. What the hell...

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82TTmv835c8

Marauder cockpit. Very open

• Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Ok, looking for opinions now that I've run a fair bit of CW.

My current dropdeck is 3xTDR + RVN-3L. This leaves me (currently) 20 tons underweight.

Is it worth switching out the RVN-3L for a GRF-2N (to keep the ECM coverage) and use up the remaining drop weight? I'm pretty comfortable in the trips ThunderThighs, so I'm not keen on switching them out.

Also, everything is completely pimped out; Mastery, modules, the whole kit.

Maybe something like this: GRF-2N: ERPPC, 4xSRM-4(5t), STD250, ECM

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    Thunderbolts are going to be ruined soon aren't they?

Regardless, I've kinda phased my Thunderbolts out of my dropdeck. I currently run a 8xMPL Grasshopper 5N, a 6xMlas/1xMPL/1xSRM4 Grasshopper 5H, a 3xMlas 1xAC10 Enforcer 5D and a 4xMlas 1xAC10 Enforcer 4R

My performance has skyrocketed with the change. Thunderbolts were nice, once, but they don't inspire the fear they used to and they are kinda broad, so they are good targets for the current clan meta of Gauss and Mlas.

but to answer your core question, yeah I'd move up to an ECM medium, if for nothing else more armor. No point given the clans the advantage of unused tonnage, unless you are magnitudes better in the Raven than a Medium.

• Options
    edited November 2015
    Thunderbolts are going to be ruined soon aren't they?

Regardless, I've kinda phased my Thunderbolts out of my dropdeck. I currently run a 8xMPL Grasshopper 5N, a 6xMlas/1xMPL/1xSRM4 Grasshopper 5H, a 3xMlas 1xAC10 Enforcer 5D and a 4xMlas 1xAC10 Enforcer 4R

My performance has skyrocketed with the change. Thunderbolts were nice, once, but they don't inspire the fear they used to and they are kinda broad, so they are good targets for the current clan meta of Gauss and Mlas.

but to answer your core question, yeah I'd move up to an ECM medium, if for nothing else more armor. No point given the clans the advantage of unused tonnage, unless you are magnitudes better in the Raven than a Medium.

Yeah, there's the rub. I'm measurably better in my Raven that most of the other 'Mechs in my stable. Dueled a Cheetah to death in one of my earlier CW games (granted, he was a skittlepug). I'm not fully convinced moving up to the Griffin is a net improvement in overall efficiency.

[Edit] I guess, since I was considering it, I could buy in on Whammys and move up to Trips-Hammers instead. I'm not wholly convinced they'll be viable out of the gate, though. And I've got all these 'Mechs in my stable already...

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    If you really like the Raven and the Thunderbolts, you can keep 2x Thunderbolt and Raven, then upgrade a Thunderbolt to a Battlemaster / Zeus / Awesome / Stalker / etc. Gives you something that will help on pushes with the extra armor.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular
    I'm running a BLR-1S with 4 LPL and a BLR-1G with 6 ML, 2 AC5s. Both are insanely effective, and I wouldn't hesitate to take one over a Thunderbolt.

The 1G is particularly effective at cutting through shutdown clanners without using up heat for your 350m MLs. If nothing else, run 4 LL on a 1S and consider it a 5S with more armor and heatsinks. You lose 15% cooldown, but the high hardpoints make up for that pretty quick.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    thunderbolts get nerfed in the PTS notes, but only slightly (5SS loses a bit of range, 9S loses a bit of heat management)

and yeah, I kinda wanna buy a BLR-1S and try it with 4xERLLa

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    If you really like the Raven and the Thunderbolts, you can keep 2x Thunderbolt and Raven, then upgrade a Thunderbolt to a Battlemaster / Zeus / Awesome / Stalker / etc. Gives you something that will help on pushes with the extra armor.

I've got BLR's, but I'm so bad in them. Like, you don't even know. So while I could do that, it's probably a strict downgrade from a TDR for me despite being heavier.

• Options
    I'm like 1 match away from the CW Cbill prize and 2 good (3 bad) matches away from the CW Score prize.

and I just cant bring myself to do it. Between CWPugqueue, which is utterly abysmal, the wait to get into a hub group, and even worse..getting into a hub group and having to drop out after one match because something requires attention in real life.. I don't think I'm gonna finish it.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    I've just been pugging CW on and off and it's been aight. Like, obviously CW is terrible, but there's nothing I can do to change that. So I queue, do a little playing until I'm out of mechs and keep watching Rocky movies on my other monitor.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    I've just been pugging CW on and off and it's been aight. Like, obviously CW is terrible, but there's nothing I can do to change that. So I queue, do a little playing until I'm out of mechs and keep watching Rocky movies on my other monitor.

I was wondering why you were the first one out of mechs during our drop yesterday :p

• Options
    CWPugqueue makes me lose faith in humanity.

Which is shocking, because every time I think that well has run dry..they find some way to make things even worse.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular

I was wondering why you were the first one out of mechs during our drop yesterday :p

It's 50% not giving a shit and 50% using suboptimal mechs cause I care more about leveling them than using a "hardcore" CW loadout of Thunderbolts or whatever is the current meta.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options

It's 50% not giving a shit and 50% using suboptimal mechs cause I care more about leveling them than using a "hardcore" CW loadout of Thunderbolts or whatever is the current meta.

You don't need to be meta

You just have to be not shit.

Then again I say that and I'm the walking embodiment of meta because every time I fumble around in the mechlab and come up with a build I like, I later find out its like the top ranked meta build for that chassis..

• Options
    edited November 2015

Thunderbolts aren't nearly meta enough after the second quirk nerf. I switched to grasshoppers, but now I run battlemasters so I can shoot over the heads of all the thunderbolts.

Good thing they're getting a third nerf, cause they really needed it. I wonder if I can get people to stop running them after the first.

The only mech I get actively angry about seeing are catapults, but after the first I think they'll be a better choice for 65 tons.

nonoffensive on
  • Options
    edited November 2015

Thunderbolts aren't nearly meta enough after the second quirk nerf. I switched to grasshoppers, but now I run battlemasters so I can shoot over the heads of all the thunderbolts.

Good thing they're getting a third nerf, cause they really needed it. I wonder if I can get people to stop running them after the first.

The only mech I get actively angry about seeing are catapults, but after the first I think they'll be a better choice for 65 tons.

Same reason I dropped my thunderbolts for Grasshoppers.

Got tired of slow people wedging in front of me and making me unable to shoot. Now I just shoot over their heads.

Also a big reason why I hate Black Knights, all that height is wasted cause your weapons are basically below your knees.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I'ev had surprisingly good luck with pug CW this weekend actually, although I think it might be just because the event is bringing more pubs out

being on the receiving end of a stomp is still awful though; knowing that you're gonna lose in like the first seven minutes is the worst

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    I'ev had surprisingly good luck with pug CW this weekend actually, although I think it might be just because the event is bringing more pubs out

being on the receiving end of a stomp is still awful though; knowing that you're gonna lose in like the first seven minutes is the worst

In my experience, the vast majority are arrogant little shits who don't want to listen to tactics or advice, and insult you for trying to help them.

"I don't know why I died so fast.." YOU BURNED THROUGH 4 MECHS BECAUSE YOU KEEP TRYING TO SHOOT CLANNERS AT 500M+ WITH YOUR MLAS AND MPLS YOU FUCKDUMB.

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    God those look ugly. This is coming from someone who has an irrational love of Marauders.

Who is responsible for that monstrosity?

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    God those look ugly. This is coming from someone who has an irrational love of Marauders.

You see, Ivan, when gun points 3 different directions, it mean you can shoot 3 different people with single boolet!

• Options
    I'd like to see a Soviet ultra autocannon.

It probably wouldn't be as accurate, but you'd be able to submerge it in mud and sand for a few years and it would probably fire without jamming after just rinsing it off.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    I'd like to see a Soviet ultra autocannon.

It probably wouldn't be as accurate, but you'd be able to submerge it in mud and sand for a few years and it would probably fire without jamming after just rinsing it off.

Why couldn't the Kalashnikov Concern make our Ultras.

Let them make our engines too, XL's would survive the loss of both STs and two critical hits before failing.

Course you'd go 30% slower for the rating compared to other manufacturers

Buttcleft on
  • Options

In my experience, the vast majority are arrogant little shits who don't want to listen to tactics or advice, and insult you for trying to help them.

"I don't know why I died so fast.." YOU BURNED THROUGH 4 MECHS BECAUSE YOU KEEP TRYING TO SHOOT CLANNERS AT 500M+ WITH YOUR MLAS AND MPLS YOU FUCKDUMB.

This is funny to me, because in one of my Clan skittlepug CW matches, there was a guy on voice comms telling us how to fight on the Clan side. (Note I did not say he was Drop Commanding. Just being a shitheel.)

He said we should be closing to brawl at every opportunity, because "our 'Mechs are better brawlers" and "we don't have a range advantage over their weapons".

I wanted to reach through voice comms and slap the guy.

• Options
    Nips wrote: »

This is funny to me, because in one of my Clan skittlepug CW matches, there was a guy on voice comms telling us how to fight on the Clan side. (Note I did not say he was Drop Commanding. Just being a shitheel.)

He said we should be closing to brawl at every opportunity, because "our 'Mechs are better brawlers" and "we don't have a range advantage over their weapons".

I wanted to reach through voice comms and slap the guy.

I'm pretty sure reading that took 2 years off my life.

• Options
    eh

clans don't really want to be trading with IS at ~800m, IS laserboats are largely better than clans at that distance. Clans really want to get to shorter ranges

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options

You see, Ivan, when gun points 3 different directions, it mean you can shoot 3 different people with single boolet!

Someone mocked this up in a few seconds in Photoshop.

4ctbf3lga6da.jpg

I'm pretty sure a triangular configuration is what 99.9999% of people had in mind when they imagined a triple ballistic mount on the MAD's right torso, with the final 0.0001% being the guy they have on staff to place the mounts.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    eh

clans don't really want to be trading with IS at ~800m, IS laserboats are largely better than clans at that distance. Clans really want to get to shorter ranges

Only if they're spamming CERML's and CLPL's. Clans come out ahead with CERL's, CGAUSS, and CERPPCs if they ever bothered to use their long range weapons instead of sticking to their all around midrange weapons.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    they don't really though, is the thing. There are quite a few IS mechs that can get their ERLLas to an 800+ optimal range, and they're the most efficient thing at that distance (CERLs are super hard to use, gauss has limited ammo, and while ERPPCs compete not a lot of people seem to run them)

clans really want to get to 600 and in, so they can leverage ERMLa/LPL

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    With quirks the IS ERLL can pull ahead, but I'd take a vanilla CERLL over a vanilla IS ERLL every day of the week.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    So, the Cheetah is on sale. I played the Prime variant, since it's a trial mech for a couple of matches.

Match 1, Frozen City. I hung back, kept the ECM up, and would crest, alpha the small lasers, and then duck back down. It worked well, until I chased an opponent cheetah right into the middle of their god damn robot horde. I ducked, dipped, dived, dodged, and ducked my ass in and out of their, took some rear armor shots, and threw myself off a cliff to gracefully jump jet down. I circled back, joined the pack, and killed a Raven for my troubles. We won.

Match 2, Tourmaline. Our entire light lance are ECM equipped starter mechs, 2 SHC's, 2 Arctic Trial Cheetahs. A Thunderbolt, and a Catapult Jester made the mistake of engaging us, 15 seconds past our spawn point. We swarmed them, and ended them in a way I've come to loathe so deeply, but just loved doing it to someone else. It was pack of piranhas circle strafing and making them wish they'd fucked with someone else. I would spend the rest of the match leaping off of clips, small lasers akimbo, harass a flank, and then haul ass when an Atlas or Awesome would give chase. We won.

I feel so dirty. I'm staring at an "Sale!" sticker on the Cheeter Prime, and yeah, I have enough MC. I'm...thinking i'm going to do it. Is this caving? Is this becoming The Man? Is this becoming the thing I loathe to see?

Halp.

• Options
    3lwap0 wrote: »
    So, the Cheetah is on sale. I played the Prime variant, since it's a trial mech for a couple of matches.

Match 1, Frozen City. I hung back, kept the ECM up, and would crest, alpha the small lasers, and then duck back down. It worked well, until I chased an opponent cheetah right into the middle of their god damn robot horde. I ducked, dipped, dived, dodged, and ducked my ass in and out of their, took some rear armor shots, and threw myself off a cliff to gracefully jump jet down. I circled back, joined the pack, and killed a Raven for my troubles. We won.

Match 2, Tourmaline. Our entire light lance are ECM equipped starter mechs, 2 SHC's, 2 Arctic Trial Cheetahs. A Thunderbolt, and a Catapult Jester made the mistake of engaging us, 15 seconds past our spawn point. We swarmed them, and ended them in a way I've come to loathe so deeply, but just loved doing it to someone else. It was pack of piranhas circle strafing and making them wish they'd fucked with someone else. I would spend the rest of the match leaping off of clips, small lasers akimbo, harass a flank, and then haul ass when an Atlas or Awesome would give chase. We won.

I feel so dirty. I'm staring at an "Sale!" sticker on the Cheeter Prime, and yeah, I have enough MC. I'm...thinking i'm going to do it. Is this caving? Is this becoming The Man? Is this becoming the thing I loathe to see?

Halp.

Fucking @Betsuni is patient zero for this new and terrible plague of jerks playing jerk mechs.

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaSCvmEI4Zc

Can someone explain why all the marauder items are phoenix themed? Is it a battletech story thing?

• Options
    Probably because it was unseen, and its return is symbolic with a Phoenix rising from the ashes.

• Options
    Quirked 25% ERLL which is the longest range is less then clan erppc and only 15% more then cerll.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Probably because it was unseen, and its return is symbolic with a Phoenix rising from the ashes.

And yet, the actual Phoenix pack gets a nifty paint scheme and nothing relating to phoenixes at all.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Erlkönig wrote: »

And yet, the actual Phoenix pack gets a nifty paint scheme and nothing relating to phoenixes at all.

That's cause the combine stole them, obviously.