As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

O Classy Night, The Stars Are Brightly Shining! [SECRET SANTA] & [CRYPTIC CARDS]

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    The second part of my Santa's gift has arrived, and it is a delightful Mario Mushroom in a Santa hat that will from now on adorn my every Christmas tree in a place of honour. The lovely card that came with it confirms my Santa was @Richy: a gentleman, a scholar, a fellow boardgame enthusiast and a fine chap of the first order.

Huzzah for Richy!

@Bogart
    Finally! I mailed that card out weeks ago, around the same time I placed the order for Agricola... I did not expect a several-weeks gap between them arriving to you. I was actually starting to get worried it got lost in transit somehow.

Also, sitting quietly waiting to be revealed was certainly trying lol!

I'm happy you liked the presents! Did you try a game of Agricola yet?

sig.gif
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I have not, but I will wheel it out at the next UK [chat] boardgames bash. It looks fab.

• Options
    Bogart wrote: »
    I have not, but I will wheel it out at the next UK [chat] boardgames bash. It looks fab.

It really is, my favourite boardgame yet. It's very strategic and intricate. Do make sure you keep the rule book near you; in five years I can count on one hand the number of games I've played without having to refer back to it to check the rules on some unexpected situation we ended up in!

sig.gif
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Agricola is excellent, but is complex. Don't be intimidated! The rules will make sense after a couple playthroughs.

• Options
    I am a man who has scaled TI3. Agricola holds no terrors.

• Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    Agricola is one of those games with a famously terrible rulebook, but popular and old enough there are several well-made alternative summaries on the internet, or so I hear. I just learned it from a friend which is probably ideal.

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    The family rules for Agricola are a very good way to play once, to get the base game down, then play with the full rules

• Options
    NoizlanifNoizlanif MMO-Whore Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    been meaning to post this, @RMS Oceanic had another package come my way it seems, even though he's done way more than enough already. The wife and I looked at it and realized Wow this person is amazing and had a great idea we are going to steal for next year :)

This is the package as a whole but the real classiness shines here in the cards.

We were just floored. Thank you @""RMS Oceanic"

I'm on my phone, sorry for potato post.

Edit: will post better photos later

Noizlanif on
  • Options
    Delmain wrote: »
    The family rules for Agricola are a very good way to play once, to get the base game down, then play with the full rules
    I've learned it with the regular rules directly. In fact, my friends and I have been playing Agricola for years, and when we tried reading the family rules we couldn't make sense of them lol

sig.gif
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    I visited @tapeslinger and @nexuscrawler for NYE, and tapeslinger gave me a super rad bust of Isaac Asimov that she made herself!

She also took the picture of it, so she should post it here.

(I made her take the picture because I cannot be trusted to upload pictures in a timely fashion)

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    2015-12-31%2021.42.58.jpg

2015-12-31%2007.54.21.jpg

You will have another box coming as well, VH! New Years Eve with you guys was awesome and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Got the second part of my present from @Blameless Cleric and it's an awesome handbound journal. Plus she drew me a picture in it! I'm so happy. Thank you!!!!
    gTh3GOn.jpg

it's perfect.

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    So after my holiday-period holiday out of state, I spent the entire weekend brooding and weeping over my lack of Secret Santa-ing. I knew I'd been out of town, but I thought, isn't Santa supposed to go above and beyond? Isn't Santa meant to be a benevolent elf, who would rush these gifts to me with nary a thought to his own time, safety, or the fact that I'm an old man who should know better by now?

Opening up my mail today, however, I was filled with joy - the santa-ing had arrived!

Ckqf2Gf.png

Two boxes! Barely containing myself, I tore into the cardboard, glee filling me as I saw what the contents were.

7OdHou6.jpg?1

A pair of books I had never heard of, and two delicious maple candy treats! What joy! One even promises to give me a narrative exploration of the concept of "dogging", which I assume is about walking dogs and nothing more.

But who was my santa? I opened the card, and the answer was revealed!

O8V5ldA.jpg?1

Thanks, @Dark Raven X! You have performed your role as Secret Santa most admirably.

And now, to stuff two maple sugar treats into my face!

simonwolf on
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Check your email! ;D

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    ugh fine dad let's see what we've got whoaaaaaaaaa

While my email is empty, my Steam just exploded forth with vidja gifts!

Read Only Memories! The Masterplan! System Shock 2! And the high budget triple A game topping everyone's GOTY lists, Go! Go! Nippon! ~My First Trip to Japan~

Thanks, Boy Raven and Girl Raven! You are two sweeties.

edit: it turns out these gifts were sent last Thursday and I had just blanked on looking at them in my inbox! Anxiety is a hell of a drug, people, don't do it not even once.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    I am tickled by the fact that Richy and I got each other as Secret Santa and just bought each other awesome boardgames.

Bogart on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Okay so I accidentally sent RMS my office address with my home zip code, causing my poor Santa's gift to go around in circles for about three weeks

On the upside, my return to the office after 4 days off was improved by retrieving my gift

A bounty from the exotic North!

HCG1d9Wl.jpg

Ah ha! Reznik is my Santa!

Check out these drawings! Mass Effectians of the Galaxy!

I21LybQl.jpg

Behold the junk food (and a can of maple syrup) from Canada:

NwCAMknl.jpg

Happy goat coffee! I am excited to try this.

AOLFuASl.jpg

Thank you @Reznik !

desc on
  • Options
    Haha, I had that exact same kind of maple syrup sitting in my cupboard for years!

When I finally opened it, it was p good, but I use syrup so rarely I pretty much only used it the once.

• Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    I think it's pretty much a criminal offense for a Canadian to send a gift out of the country that doesn't contain some sort of maple something.

Happy Goat supplies a lot of the little local coffee shops/bakeries so they're pretty well liked around town. They have uh... a lot of varieties, so I just picked one kind of in the middle. Hope you enjoy, @desc!

(also I'm really glad it finally arrived 'cause I'm not sure how long that coffee lasts)

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Ok, so after returning form chirstmas with my family, a package was waiting for me in my apartment building!

ss1.jpg

Part three of three of my gift! (Part 1 was a canny edge detector, see previous post. Part 2 was gifted digitally via steam, the assembly hacking game called TIS-100.) No offense to the other parts, but this was the raddest of the parts. Also, my santa was revealed as Aioua. Thank you vowels!

Under the letter was a really hefty set of instructions for some sort of clock. Really hefty.

ss3.jpg

And inside the box...

ss2.jpg

Oh yes, a PCB and lots of electronic components. (Mr Potatohead in a cyber raptor costume was not included but snuck into the photo)

Many components...

ss4.jpg

The coolest of which were these little cold cathode tubes that display glowing neon numbers, straight out of the retrofuture.

ss5.jpg

And so I assembled.
    ss6.jpg

And assembled

ss7.jpg

and assembled

ss8.jpg

Finally, this is as far as I got before life got in the way and I needed to stop to travel to China. The saga will continue in 2 weeks...

ss9.jpg

But thanks to much Aioua, this is a truly awesome kit and I cannot wait to power it on and burn down my home enjoy the cold cathode time display, cobbled together with my own two hands.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    I want one of those clocks!

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Yay glad all the tubes arrived unharmed, those little buggers are hard to come by these days!

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    oh no, it's a bomb!

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    I want one of those clocks!

Definitely going on my SHUTUPANDTAKEMYMONEY list, is there a link?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    If you google 'nixie qtc' that will take you to the seller (qtc being one of their model types)

It seems a little gauche to link directly with all the prices on display.

EDIT: Heh also you can see the URL printed onto the board in DK's pics. :biggrin:

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    So I was out of town over Christmas and I missed my packages arrival, but then it got to be part of my glorious homecoming!

@bloodyroarxx has provided me with treats from the exotic land of Ca Na Da. As well as a laser pointer for my feline, who has decided it is the foremost danger in my house and must be exterminated.

I have not taken a picture of these treats because I do not expect them to last long and I do not think that the internet needs to know what a disgusting pig person I am. Also because it's late and I've been travelling for like 13 hours.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    yay I want a review of each one plzkthx

• Options
    Oh, I forgot to say - if you were/are my Cryptic Card-er, I'm sorry to say that it hasn't arrived! Maybe it got lost in the mail? These things happen.

• Options
    edited January 2016
    Has anyone not been gifted/not sent presents?

Bogart on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I'm gonna go through the thread/PMs/personal database tonight and see what, if anything, is missing.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    hah! So finally discovered that my Secret Santa was @Atomika when she arrived for a visit with various gifts for the kids and a stack of Ultimate X-Men glossy things that are great! I've read 15 of them right now and I can confirm that they should be retitled Ultimate X-Men: Magneto Is An Enormous Dick

Luckily not even he can control animal magnetism because these mutants get their (implied) sex on like constantly.

Thank you Atomika for everything!! Hope to see you again soon. :):)

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Also can I just say that I've done stuff like reading an entry on Jean Grey in the Marvel Encyclopedia and gone "lolwhut comic books you are drunk. Go home"

Then read the actual comic and discovered both that the summary was entirely accurate and that the context doesn't help it be any less :rotate:

spool32 on
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    @Jakobagger was not finished giving me gifts yet! I got this lovely cookbook from him!
    Fwi9cUU.jpg

I was pretty eager to try it out, so I've already made a few dishes from it. Admittedly I'm not the best cook or photographer, but they turned out really well!

First up is a bowl of Rømmegrøt, which is a kind of porridge-y dish. A bowl of it with cinnamon was good for breakfast, and it also works well as a spread!

qagW04f.jpg

Next I baked some peaches based on a recipe for baked plums in the book; unfortunately plums aren't readily available in Texas right now.

TVQx80k.png

Finally, I made some Beef Lindström for dinner, which are kind of like burgers with capers and pickled beet in them. Unfortunately I didn't make the patties very stable and the beet was kinda chunky, but they were still very delicious. The red in the photo is just beet, they were cooked pretty thoroughly.

rRel0gd.jpg

Thanks Jakob! Your gifts were awesome!

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Due to me giving RMS the wrong zip code both items were delayed

BUT!

Today I got my card from @BobCesca & @japan !

Hooray!

Check out how cool and handmade it is:

ADfgBPwl.jpg

And it came with a Cadbury Dairy Milk chocolate bar! Thank you!

desc on
  • Options
    Just a heads up to my Santa, I still don't know who you are, but the the first package indicated there was a second on the way, but I have not received anything further. That is okay if the first package was the only one! I mostly just want to make sure I thank my santa, but my santa has never made their identity known!

• Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    I've never actually had either rømmegrøt or bøf lindström since they're both mostly Norwegian dishes (well, the latter might be Swedish). And Norway is a distant, exotic land from where I live. . .

Also, I've never tried or read that cookbook, but my parents are big fans of the author, Camilla Plum (whose organic farm/business is notable for having one of the most hideous websites I've ever seen: http://www.fuglebjerggaard.dk).

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    God that website is an abomination.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I knew you wouldn't leave me forever, nineties

*sniff* I will always love you

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    I can't believe Fuglebjerrgaard isn't just someone falling asleep on their keyboard.

• Options
    Atomika wrote: »
    I can't believe Fuglebjerrgaard isn't just someone falling asleep on their keyboard.

Hard to get a design that hideous by accident. Or do you mean the name? That's just, you know, Danish.