As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo 3DS] THIS THREAD IS DEAD, POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    PewnyPewny Registered User regular
    So, uh, is there any reason I keep having to power down my n3DS XL after trying to sign into the eShop? It just fails to a black screen and tells me to power it off.

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    some misapplied update that is preventing you from going to the eshop would be my first guess. don't have mine on me but you could probably check your version in the system settings and make sure you are updated all the way.

my second guess would have to be homebrew stuff but if you don't do that then something is really weird.

• Options
    PewnyPewny Registered User regular
    A small patch was applied on my DS when I turned it on today, so that must be the issue. Weak!

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    redfield85 wrote: »
    The new Zelda game isn't supposed to come out until Friday, right? I saw it in stores today at Best Buy.

If I do get it, probably will go digital anyway.

Someone likely put it out accidentally with the other Tuesday releases.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    in the Target ad for this week they had it listed for 49.99 which I kind of freaked out at as 3ds games are now $50? but everyone else has it for 39.99 so.....

• Options
    Opty wrote: »
    The underlying reason for the region lock was DSiWare. Because there were no user accounts, the only way Nintendo knew how to separate the regions' DSiWare stores from each other was to put in region locking that also locked you to a specific storefront. That's why DS games weren't and still aren't affected while DSi and newer games are. Once Nintendo puts the hardware owning games concept to bed and fully moves everything to the user account, they could roll back the region locking. I don't see them taking the time to do that on the 3DS though when the NX is likely going to supplant it within a few years.

That's what I felt of why they region locked was the e shop because certain games are not for the NA market and vice versa

• Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    The new Zelda game isn't supposed to come out until Friday, right? I saw it in stores today at Best Buy.

If I do get it, probably will go digital anyway.

Yeah. It feels like the kinda game which I would want to have on me at all times. Playing online last week was great, even though speech was limited I believe we all had a great time figuring out puzzles and boss mechanics. Knocked out all three dungeons before 10PM.

It was fun! Loved dressing up Link as princess Zelda. c:

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Opty wrote: »
    The underlying reason for the region lock was DSiWare. Because there were no user accounts, the only way Nintendo knew how to separate the regions' DSiWare stores from each other was to put in region locking that also locked you to a specific storefront. That's why DS games weren't and still aren't affected while DSi and newer games are. Once Nintendo puts the hardware owning games concept to bed and fully moves everything to the user account, they could roll back the region locking. I don't see them taking the time to do that on the 3DS though when the NX is likely going to supplant it within a few years.

That's what I felt of why they region locked was the e shop because certain games are not for the NA market and vice versa

I can almost guarantee that code written to implement DSiWare region locking has nothing to do with code written to implement 3DS cartridge region locking. It can take a lot of effort to implement a new feature, even one which performs the same function as a similar feature.

• Options
    main.png

Just when I thought I was done with cover plates for the time being.

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    It has the mahjong tile but it doesn't have Nikki. :?

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    It has the mahjong tile but it doesn't have Nikki. :?

It has original Mario Bros. crab and Wrecking Crew villain who you can't even play as, but it doesn't have Nikki.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    nikki's gone, guys,
    She's also not a game character

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Who the heck is Nikki?

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Imperfect wrote: »
    Who the heck is Nikki?

Mascot for Swapnote (you know, the PSN/XBLive messaging like service + awesome ability to draw pictures until Nintendo killed it) and later Art Academy.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    So apparently that's not the only new one.

image_plate_071.jpgimage_plate_070.jpgimage_plate_069.jpgimage_plate_068.jpgimage_plate_067.jpg

We had previously known of the Animal Crossing one, but it was Europe exclusive.

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Oh shit that top one.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Hey, Yo-kai Watch demo today. Maybe it'll actually go up this time.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I know you're just joking their mis-tweet, but I just downloaded it.

• Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    The cover plates are only for the small new 3ds, right? What a waste. I would buy so many if they made the new 3ds xl compatible.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    Isabelle is a Shih-tzu. And Shih-tzus are the best thing ever.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Most Animal Crossing towns are Shih-tzus. Missing a lot of species, and half the time you can't even find the animals or they're hiding indoors...

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    In addition to the demo, Yo-Kai Watch is also available for preload on the eShop.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Is there Multi-player in Yo-Kai watch? Like something similar to Pokemon trading/battle?

Like...is it something I'd want on my 3DS at all times? I usually download 3DS games when multiplayer is involved: Pokemans, Triforce Heroes, Smash, etc.

Riokenn on
  • Options
    Tim is on the InternetTim is on the Internet On the Internet Edmonton, ABRegistered User regular
    Ugh, Nintendo. Online distribution time for Triforce Heroes has passed, but I'm still not allowed to launch the game.

Discord: TimIsOnTheInternet#0056
    Steam: TimIsOnSteam
    Battle.net: TimIsOnBnet#1745
    Switch: SW-7012-4788-7410
    PSN: TimIsOnTheNet
  • Options
    Ugh, Nintendo. Online distribution time for Triforce Heroes has passed, but I'm still not allowed to launch the game.

Not until after midnight eastern time

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Tim is on the InternetTim is on the Internet On the Internet Edmonton, ABRegistered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

Odd. The ticker on the top screen when highlighting the game said otherwise.

Discord: TimIsOnTheInternet#0056
    Steam: TimIsOnSteam
    Battle.net: TimIsOnBnet#1745
    Switch: SW-7012-4788-7410
    PSN: TimIsOnTheNet
  • Options
    skeldare wrote: »

Odd. The ticker on the top screen when highlighting the game said otherwise.

Yeah, preloaded games on 3DS are weird like that. It did the same thing for other games like Puzzles and Dragons.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Wow, so I pre-ordered TriForce Heroes off Amazon digitally for the first time (no tax FTW! Saved like $4 probably :D haha). This is so cool! I just had to click a button and it automatically queues the download on my 3DS. No bullshit codes! Finally Nintendo is starting to fix their online shit.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    My son played the demo of Yo-Kai Watch last night. It looked really fun and he immediately wants to put it on his Christmas list or trade some stuff for a copy.

• Options
    The cover plates are only for the small new 3ds, right? What a waste. I would buy so many if they made the new 3ds xl compatible.

I bought a Japanese N3ds so I could get the cover plates
    I keep my usual n3ds xl for a reason

• Options
    My son played the demo of Yo-Kai Watch last night. It looked really fun and he immediately wants to put it on his Christmas list or trade some stuff for a copy.

It was definitely different.
    The Yo-kai automatically attack the enemies, so your constantly managing their soultimate attacks and curses by turning the watch around and doing tiny mini-games to help out during the fight. I wish the demo let you go into the status page of each Yo-Kai to see what each one does. I was confused when or why the old lady Yo-kai would heal my teammates. Are there elemental bonus to these Yo-Kais? Lots of questions I hope a reviewer puts out for me before I take the plunge.

But yes it was rather fun, I think their soultimate attacks last longer if you hit all the requirements perfectly. The cat yo-kai seemed to do crits when I hit em all perfectly.

• Options
    the demo was cool, but kinda underwhelming. it's more minigames than tactical gameplay like Pokémon. It really felt like it catered to a very young audience, in terms of gameplay.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Supposedly it can get quite difficult later on in the full game. Selecting a team of 6, all with certain synergies and innate abilities/affinities, and then rotating that team to maximize damage output and spread out incoming hits, Purifying/doing Soultimates all in real time and under pressure is kind of how the combat is supposed to work. So that's fairly unique. Not really Pokemon-style combat, which I think is a good idea.

The beginning of the combat music is so catchy.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Level-5 made Soccer RPG fun, I have confidence they can make a ghost RPG fun as well.

Riokenn on
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    It's so weird seeing a bunch of people talking about how the combat doesn't seem as deep as pokemon. I don't think I've played another rpg with combat that bores me as much as pokemon's does. 1v1 battles, 4 skills each, switching out constantly to get the right weaknesses. Loved it like 10 years ago but I just can't go back to that.

I haven't played the demo yet, but Yo-kai watches 3v3 active time battles, and the wheel that you rotate to switch out your active party looks really cool. And the fact that you don't really give your party commands and instead tell them which targets to focus on and tell them when to use their ultimate attacks looks interesting to me.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    I've never played Pokemon, so I don't have much of a point of comparison, but I just think it's smart for Yo-kai to take a very different approach to combat than Pokemon, given the other obvious comparisons between the two like monster collecting.

Renzo on
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    DeMoN wrote: »
    It's so weird seeing a bunch of people talking about how the combat doesn't seem as deep as pokemon. I don't think I've played another rpg with combat that bores me as much as pokemon's does. 1v1 battles, 4 skills each, switching out constantly to get the right weaknesses. Loved it like 10 years ago but I just can't go back to that.

I haven't played the demo yet, but Yo-kai watches 3v3 active time battles, and the wheel that you rotate to switch out your active party looks really cool. And the fact that you don't really give your party commands and instead tell them which targets to focus on and tell them when to use their ultimate attacks looks interesting to me.

Pokemon's battling system has gotten a lot more complex in the last 10 years. There are 3v3 battles and all kinds of stuff now.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Also, I think people really aren't thinking of Pokemon's single-player battles when they refer to its depth. Player vs. player is a different world entirely.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    well, I'm ok with being different ffrom pokemon. But the more complex version you people described is more about clicking fast and being spastic, not really tactical

camo_sig2.png
This discussion has been closed.