As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo 3DS] THIS THREAD IS DEAD, POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    DaringDirk wrote: »
    DarkMecha wrote: »
    Yeah, a shitload of games play better on the new3DS.

How much better does MHGen play on the N3DS? Am I seriously missing out playing it on my old friend, the blue 3ds xl?

I don’t think it PLAYS any better, just loads faster and has more detailed textures. Of course, if you do not have a Circle Pro the right nub is the difference between night and crippled claw hand day...

Eh I started on the PSP so I'm comfortable claw handing it. I use the virtual d-pad alittle bit too, but mostly I claw / tap the R button to recenter the camera alot.
    skeldare wrote: »
    DarkMecha wrote: »
    Yeah, a shitload of games play better on the new3DS.

How much better does MHGen play on the N3DS? Am I seriously missing out playing it on my old friend, the blue 3ds xl?

Unlike MH4, there's no graphical upgrade with the N3DS.

Ah ok, that's not a big deal to me.

DarkMecha on
    Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Also boo I would get a pink or that lilac 2ds here shakes fist curse you region locking!

You could always import and do a case swap.

그것은 그렇게 성가신
    I do know Japanese but I don't really want another J system as my brother says when I show him the eshop Doesn't count

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Man do I want a freaking GBC. Damn not living in the US of A.
    I just bought a GBASP, but the screen is super bad. I'm gonna have to buy a new screen too.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    I just bought a GBASP, but the screen is super bad. I'm gonna have to buy a new screen too.

If you can, try to find a later model GBA SP that had the back-lit screen. Supposed to be much better. I don't know how much they go for though.

Edit: Well I looked into it for about 60 seconds and the model number is AGS-101, as opposed to the original which is 001 and found this on ebay:

http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/Nintendo-Game-Boy-Advance-GBA-SP-System-AGS-101-Brighter-MINT-NEW-Pick-A-Color-/201090920636

Maybe that helps.

DaveTheWave on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    NOOOO...my L button is dying. :(

Is it easy to repair? Or should I just swap my OG3DS for them fancy New 3DSXLs?

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options

If you can, try to find a later model GBA SP that had the back-lit screen. Supposed to be much better. I don't know how much they go for though.

Edit: Well I looked into it for about 60 seconds and the model number is AGS-101, as opposed to the original which is 001 and found this on ebay:

http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/Nintendo-Game-Boy-Advance-GBA-SP-System-AGS-101-Brighter-MINT-NEW-Pick-A-Color-/201090920636

Maybe that helps.

That's the one I bought, actually, I went straight for the 101.
    But the screen itself is shot, there's like a horrible white vignette effect.
    The backlighting is great, tho.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Aw jeez, that's sad to hear.
    I was thinking about buying one since my NES SP is getting a bit worn out. Especially the L and R buttons.

Also checking out that Ebay seller he sells backlight mods and screens for GBC.
    Color me interested, if only it came with instructions or a youtube video on how to do it correctly.....

Riokenn on
    OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    I mean, that's the exact model, not seller, because I'm brazil.
    that seller is probably great

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Riokenn wrote: »
    Aw jeez, that's sad to hear.
    I was thinking about buying one since my NES SP is getting a bit worn out. Especially the L and R buttons.

Also checking out that Ebay seller he sells backlight mods and screens for GBC.
    Color me interested, if only it came with instructions or a youtube video on how to do it correctly.....

If you're not concerned about Game Boy & Game Boy Color games, look into a Game Boy Micro. I love mine.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    NOOOO...my L button is dying. :(

Is it easy to repair? Or should I just swap my OG3DS for them fancy New 3DSXLs?

My og3ds R button just died on me and I grabbed a 2ds to hold me over until whatever the NX ends up being.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    My L button started getting wonky on my 3DS. I swear this is what worked. There's an unorthodox trick out there called the "blow fix" where you blow into the shoulder button. Well it would work for a little bit, but the problem would keep coming back. So as a last ditch effort, I put my mouth around the button with a good seal around it, then sucked in really hard, then blew out really hard.

Fixed it permanently. Causing me to surmise that the "problem" is probably some dust or link that gets caught under the button.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    My L button started getting wonky on my 3DS. I swear this is what worked. There's an unorthodox trick out there called the "blow fix" where you blow into the shoulder button. Well it would work for a little bit, but the problem would keep coming back. So as a last ditch effort, I put my mouth around the button with a good seal around it, then sucked in really hard, then blew out really hard.

Fixed it permanently. Causing me to surmise that the "problem" is probably some dust or link that gets caught under the button.

There are so many things I could say...

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular

That works for me for while, but I always eventually have to take a screwdriver to my dick handheld and spray out the contact with some compressed gas. Unfortunately I couldn't save my JP 3DS that way because a single screw was driven in so tightly it wouldn't budge, and it was the screw closest to the bad button.

• Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular

That works for me for while, but I always eventually have to take a screwdriver to my dick handheld and spray out the contact with some compressed gas. Unfortunately I couldn't save my JP 3DS that way because a single screw was driven in so tightly it wouldn't budge, and it was the screw closest to the bad button.

The L button on my 3DS hasn't worked in like a year despite ardent application of the incrediblly homoerotic blowing method. I should probably do this, but part of me also just resigned myself to this fate.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Well, I'm in a lousy way.

Not knowing what the NX has in store, I sent my New Nintendo 3DS XL in for repair through PR, but wound up hanging on to my 32GB microSD card because I hadn't backed it up in a while, and thought this would be a good opportunity.

From what I'd heard, they were just going to swap the touchscreen (the problem area) out, but though they couldn't replicate the problem, they ended up sending me a different unit instead.

Got the unit back, wiped of most everything but a couple of Nintendo DS games and my data (Friends List, Miis, etc.). Put in the microSD, and it won't recognize it. Tried to find out more, but to no avail, and I have a review due in a week, so I tried Nintendo Consumer Service, and they ultimately told me I'd need to redownload everything, but because of the card, it won't let me. Told me to reformat the card and put the backup back on there, but that didn't do it.

So now I'm worried I'm going to lose the last several years' worth of save data, and who knows what else, assuming I can even get this stuff to work again.

I feel like I should have never sent it in to begin with and just taken my chances.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's all gone, bro. Sorry for your loss.

• Options
    How so?

• Options
    God nintendo is so shitty about that stuff. Their whole system is ass backwards.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Brainleech wrote: »
    How so?

All SD data is tied to the original system. Without getting the original hardware back (extremely improbable), there's no way he can access those save files ever again.

• Options
    Oh ok
    I understand now

• Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    So everyone's looking forward to Chase: Unsolved Cases Investigation Division next week, right? Right?! It's the spiritual successor to Hotel Dusk and Last Window and will only cost $6.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    I sent my n3DS in for repairs right when the Galaxy model came out. When I got it back, it was wiped of all data. I had to call Nintendo to assist with a swap to the new unit, as it wouldn't connect. They transferred my ID to the new console, and I put in my old SD card. I lost 3,000 streetpasses and all my streetpass game data. I popped in Smash Bros, downloaded the DLC, and prepared for the worst. All my game data was there. All my game data on downloaded games, however, is gone.

It's a blow. Losing all the streetpasses and puzzle pieces etc sucks, and I don't even care about taking my 3DS with me to try and get it back. :/

PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    Since Nintendo is usually a generation or two behind when it comes to online features, I feel like we're about due for cloud saving on the NX. Hopefully, that will bring an end to these kind of horror stories.

• Options
    By "generation or two" I'd say we're talking about actual human generations, i.e. 25 to 50 years.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    By "generation or two" I'd say we're talking about actual human generations, i.e. 25 to 50 years.

Oh please.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    http://gonintendo.com/stories/266667-corpse-party-launching-oct-25th-in-na-oct-26th-in-eu

In the cult hit horror adventure Corpse Party, players take control of a group of Japanese high school students who inadvertently engage in a pagan ritual and find themselves inexplicably transported into a whole other space: an inescapable echo of a long-since demolished school building where a series of gruesome murders once took place. Remastered from the 2011 PSP (PlayStation®Portable) system release, the Nintendo 3DS rendition of Corpse Party will feature redrawn, high-resolution character sprites, newly arranged music tracks in binaural 3D audio, and 3D art stills, as well as four new Extra Chapters exclusive to this version that provide insight into lesser-shown characters and plot elements previously left unexplained.

Corpse Party for Nintendo 3DS will be released physically for the first time in English through a limited ‘Back to School Edition’ priced at $49.99, which will include high-quality miniature figurines of characters Naomi Nakashima and Seiko Shinohara, as well as a soundtrack CD containing nearly 80 minutes of music from the game not previously featured on the ‘Songs of the Dead’ compilation, including three tracks exclusive to this Nintendo 3DS version. In addition to the limited ‘Back to School Edition’ physical release, Corpse Party will also see a digital release on the North American Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS for $29.99. The title will also see a digital-only release on the European Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS for €29.99/£24.99, as well as in Australia for $49.95 AUD.

Originally developed as an independent title by Team GrisGris and published by XSEED Games, Corpse Party will release for Nintendo 3DS in North America on October 25, 2016. The European version will launch on October 26, 2016. This title has been rated “M for Mature” by the ESRB, PEGI 18, USK 18, and R 18+ by the ACB.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Huh so it's really coming out in NA

Also Monster Hunter Generations for the 3ds is on sale until the 18th for 27.99

• Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    Since Nintendo is usually a generation or two behind when it comes to online features, I feel like we're about due for cloud saving on the NX. Hopefully, that will bring an end to these kind of horror stories.

I usually think of Nintendo as having released two consoles during the sixth generation, or whatever number you assign to the generation that starts with the Dreamcast. The Wii fits WAY better in that gen than in the same one as the 360/PS3, and the WiiU likewise makes much better sense as a super late seventh-gen console.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular

Nah, they're not that bad.

They're only 10+ years behind on online features.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options

I was making a jest
    but yeah, around 15 years actually sounds right.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Are we going to see an account based rather than hardware based system for the NX? I fucking hope so.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited October 2016

I was making a jest

This is still an outdated meme. They're at parity or better in far more ways than they're behind.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options

I was making a jest

This is still an outdated meme. They're at parity or better in far more ways than they're behind.

HOW, pray tell???????
    Their account system is pre-PS360, their ownership system is pre-PS360, their friend system is pre-PS360...
    There's no cloud either.

It's super shit.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    To their credit though, they at least finally have a browser-based shop setup roughly on par with PSN now, including "buy on browser, download straight to device" functionality.

https://www.nintendo.com/games/buy-digital

Edit: funny aside, Nintendo and Amazon's feud is still so heated that Nintendo doesn't list them as a physical retailer for any game in the eshop.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    edited October 2016

I was making a jest

HOW, pray tell???????
    Their account system is pre-PS360, their ownership system is pre-PS360, their friend system is pre-PS360...
    There's no cloud either.

It's super shit.

- good quality online servers for ages now, with the rooms and matchmaking you'd expect of a modern platform
    - constant patches and updates that happen smoothly and automatically, for both first and third party releases
    - voice chat in games that support it
    - more Nintendo-produced/supported games with online features than ever before
    - good quality and reasonably priced DLC
    - season passes, digital bundles and cross platform releases
    - long term online support for games (Animal Crossing from 2012 getting a new major patch)
    - a complete social network they made for themselves
    - apps for all major video services
    - nearly every game on every platform gets a digital release alongside retail, unlocking the same day
    - frequent digital sales and promotions on their online storefronts
    - what's wrong with their "friend system?" works pretty much exactly as a modern platform should...
    - nearly all of "old Nintendo's" restrictive policies have been removed, especially in the digital realm, which has led a lot of indies to success on their platforms

They've had nearly all of these for years now.

And online multiplayer is still free.

Seriously, how blind do you have to be to consider Nintendo a decade behind on online features?
    Donnicton wrote: »
    To their credit though, they at least finally have a browser-based shop setup roughly on par with PSN now, including "buy on browser, download straight to device" functionality.

https://www.nintendo.com/games/buy-digital

Yeah, add this to the list as well.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    It's their digital rights platform that is out of date far more than their actual network services platform.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Entaru wrote: »
    It's their digital rights platform that is out of date far more than their actual network services platform.

Exactly. The specifics are important.

Because people always used to say "Nintendo is bad at online" back in the day when there was no way to communicate with anyone else on a Nintendo platform, Netflix came on a physical disc, digital games were limited to 40 megs, no retail games were ever released digitally, no DLC, games with game-breaking bugs simply went unpatched or you called them to ask them to physically mail you an updated disc, etc.

Nintendo cannot still be "bad at online" in the same sense they were once criticized to be.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Dude, these bullets are not as positive as you think they are.
    "Voice chat in games that support it." Every other device has system level chat AND 3rd party apps you can use alternatively (skype). Meanwhile Nintendo is STILL like "you can use these emojis we took from AIM circa 2001, we can't trust you otherwise."

"More online Nintendo games than ever" is like "Best family comedy of 2017" for a movie released in January. A really unimpressive stat if you think for a few seconds.

"Good quality online servers" EH. Nintendo has zero esports, I don't know if any game people take seriously has ever tested this. Closest would be Splatoon? Do any Nintendo games have access to dedicated servers?

I'll give with some of the other stuff. The sales are far better than they used to be. Day one digital has gotten way more respectable. Games that would require online actually seem to have it now (just remembering MonHun3 DS and stuff like that).

• Options
    I can't give them too much credit for the New Leaf update. It was more so to salvage the AC amiibo situation than anything else.

• Options
    You mentioned a bunch of secondary or fluff features.
    I still have only 100 friend slots on the new3DS, which still uses fucking friend codes.
    Digital ownership is so backwards it's worse than what PCs had in 2003.
    3DS games have to go online by themselves, and take ages to connect.
    The PSP was better in all senses out of the box.

camo_sig2.png
This discussion has been closed.