As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Phantom Pain

• el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Lalabox wrote: »
    -Tal wrote: »
    A fun thing to do: rocket punch yourself

lol if you still play as snake in this game

Buffalos need downtime, too

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    If you really want some bang for your helicopter arrival buck, you cannot go wrong with True

It's juuuuust long enough between helicopter arrivals that I always half-forget I set it, then laugh and laugh when I'm reminded

Grey GhostErin The Red
    Whoa

"Origins of 'Code Talker'" is the single best chunk of Indian writing I've ever seen in a video game, bar none

Olivaw-TalStiltsSnicketysnickel_viciomasterofmetroidGundiSpeed RacermiscellaneousinsanitySenorTacosgtrmpSCREECH OF THE FARGTransporterErin The Red
    Wait what?

Boarding schools get mentioned in a game with flaming fucking unicorns?

what is happening?

GethStilts-TalmasterofmetroidSenorTacosGrey GhostgtrmpTransporterpookaSpeed Racer
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    The soul of metal gear has always been the juxtaposition of real ass shit with dumb ass bullshit

PNk1Ml4.png
    el_vicioSyphonBlueOlivawSkeithStiltsVegemyteLalaboxKilroymasterofmetroidGundiSpeed RacermiscellaneousinsanityOdinBahamutZEROEndBlankZoeSCREECH OF THE FARGTransporterBlackbird SR-71CThorn413
    edited October 2015
    I only know (in my admittedly limited experience) of one piece of visual entertainment that so much as admits that Indian boarding schools were a thing, and that's the HBO adaptation of Bury My Heart at Wounded at Knee.

My mind's blowing a bit, right now

Poorochondriac on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Part of me wasn't surprised that Code Talker turned out the way he did because no one who wrote that game was an American so none of them had any baggage about it

But on the other hand, Vulcan Raven

So really I was still shocked he turned out as great as he did

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    StiltsTransporter
    edited October 2015
    Stole 4 nukes from a dude, destroyed 3, kept one for fun. So...I have to actually build one myself for the achievement, it seems.
    /sigh

Oh, and another thing - maybe I'm weird, but my favorite Quiet visual in the game is
    in the prologue, when she chokes you out - the fierce look is great, and the purple/blue ghostly image of her as you faint is even better (I'm still trying to grab a decent image of that)

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• 101101 Registered User regular
    So mission 11:
    Turns out you were actually meant to fight Quiet?

woops, first time I just sneaked around the outside, popped some smoke and ran my ass out of there.

Didn't even realize it was still on my mission list until I had unlocked Africa. Having DD really made that mission easier, having him sniff out Quiet as she shifted position.

post 45 spoilers
    has anyone tried the mod(s?) to get Quiet back? Is that a potential problem regarding online play since I'm modifying the game?

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    101 wrote: »
    So mission 11:

woops, first time I just sneaked around the outside, popped some smoke and ran my ass out of there.

Didn't even realize it was still on my mission list until I had unlocked Africa. Having DD really made that mission easier, having him sniff out Quiet as she shifted position.

you know what REALLY makes that mission easy
    dropping a supply drop on her head

PoorochondriacJoeUserNoSobriquetThorn413
    Oldfield's Nuclear is an ace track for mercin' dudes

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

Seal
  • SkulloSkullo Registered User regular
    Code Talker is possibly the best Metal Gear support team character, and definitely the best new character introduced to the series since MGS3.

It's a damn shame that almost all his content is in tapes, where many players could miss out.

VeldrinmasterofmetroidSpeed RacerSnicketysnickOlivawSkeith-TalSCREECH OF THE FARGTransporter
    Skullo wrote: »
    Code Talker is possibly the best Metal Gear support team character, and definitely the best new character introduced to the series since MGS3.

It's a damn shame that almost all his content is in tapes, where many players could miss out.

"Missed if you aren't looking for it" kinda sums up most indigenous stories, unfortunately

Kilroy-TalSCREECH OF THE FARGTransporter
  • KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    101 wrote: »
    So mission 11:

you know what REALLY makes that mission easy
    dropping a supply drop on her head
    bonk

Grey Ghost
  • GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    I thought Code Talker was great and I'm just sad he doesn't get to be in more Metal Gear stuff. Really happy to hear you liked him, Pooro.

SkulloSpeed RacerOlivawEvilCakemasterofmetroidVeldrinTransporter
  • miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    Rebel Yell just came on the radio in the car and my pulse quickened a bit, shit where's Dhorse we gotta get to the LZ

uc3ufTB.png
    VegemyteMetalbourneOlivawel_vicioSnicketysnickStiltsSkeith-TalGrey GhostVeldringodmodeSCREECH OF THE FARGTransporterYukiraBRIAN BLESSED
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    God, Quiet on mission 45 is horrifying. And I love it.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    I think a nice little touch would have been (ending spoilers)
    if venom snake was rank s in medicine

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
    manwiththemachinegunDouglasDangerStiltsOlivawSkeithmasterofmetroid-TalGrey Ghostel_vicioVegemyteSnicketysnickGundiSCREECH OF THE FARGTransporterVeldrinNartwakSeal
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Rebel Yell just came on the radio in the car and my pulse quickened a bit, shit where's Dhorse we gotta get to the LZ

Take on Me, Rebel Yell, Friday I'm In Love, Final Countdown, Maneater, and Love Will Tear Us Apart are all available for Rock Band 4

Considering investing in an eyepatch for performances

6F32U1X.png
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    So I was wondering why this thread wasn't popping up in my bookmarks. I forgot to actually bookmark it. Doh.

Anyway, wanted to mention this

So apparently the parasite armor mist and armor cartridges don't prevent S ranks. Only the camo one does.
    Despite what the suit itself says in its description.

Also I use snake because he runs/moves faster and I am impatient. Also cyborg arm. You will have to pry that thing off me with a crowbar. It is mine. My precious.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    el_vicio
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    SLyM wrote: »
    I think a nice little touch would have been (ending spoilers)
    if venom snake was rank s in medicine
    Too big of a clue.
    Btw, with the way the ranks have added on now, Venom Snakes rank would be equivelant to all S's in Peacewalker. So he really was the best they had.
    He hasn't done medicine in a while tho.

Code Talker
    I can't remember if I asked for help in this thread or the G&T thread so I'll thank in both.
    I S ranked this really easily by crawling up the waterfall and sneaking out again past the skulls and puppet soldiers.
    It was really intense sneaking through the forest, at one point I went directly under one of the skulls on her perch, if she'd looked down I would have had zero cover.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Whoa-HOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

-TalMorninglordSpeed RacerVeldrinMoth 13AtomicTofuVegemyteSkeithAvalonGuardSnicketysnickOlivawJohnny ChopsockyDaypigeonmasterofmetroidSCREECH OF THE FARGTransporterSeal
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Jesus, I keep forgetting about MGO

Rock Band 4 has taken up all of my brain entirely, I forgot that it's almost out

6F32U1X.png
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    and you will probably forget that it's out a week later, because i imagine it will be pretty meh

• miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    MGO2 was real good, I hope MGO3 is likewise

also i hope they bring back ambulance boxes and tank boxes for it

uc3ufTB.png
    MGO2 was real good, I hope MGO3 is likewise

also i hope they bring back ambulance boxes and tank boxes for it

Here's my pitch:

box Voltron

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

miscellaneousinsanity
    I forgot rock band 4 was coming out this tuesday

I don't think I've seen an ad for it

PNk1Ml4.png
    el_vicio wrote: »
    post 45 spoilers
    has anyone tried the mod(s?) to get Quiet back? Is that a potential problem regarding online play since I'm modifying the game?

I am also interested in this. Does it break multiplayer or screw up any side ops if you do it?

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
    el_vicio wrote: »
    post 45 spoilers

I am also interested in this. Does it break multiplayer or screw up any side ops if you do it?
    She cannot participate in any multiplayer.
    I'm not sure what sideops it would break.

I'm more concerned that online will detect modified files and lock me out from fob stuff or something

el_vicio
  • Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    I only know (in my admittedly limited experience) of one piece of visual entertainment that so much as admits that Indian boarding schools were a thing, and that's the HBO adaptation of Bury My Heart at Wounded at Knee.

How many times do I have to yell at you about Scalped?

I read the first trade paperback and didn't love it

It had inelegant swearing

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Also I use snake because he runs/moves faster and I am impatient. Also cyborg arm. You will have to pry that thing off me with a crowbar. It is mine. My precious.

Yeah, I gave up using anyone else for any purpose when I realised how powerful the stun arm could be.
    I can clear an outpost in one shot, and by the time I run to the next outpost, it's recharged.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    edited October 2015
    I'm more concerned that online will detect modified files and lock me out from fob stuff or something

I did the thing and re-replaced the file with my original after I saw it worked
    Quiet's still there, the file is my original. I doubt that this'll cause problems, since there are technically no modified files anymore. I think she stays unless I replay 45, which NOPE

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

Snake... if we're going to combat Cipher, we need more money. Whatever it takes.

PNk1Ml4.png
    Speed RacerStiltsKyoka SuigetsuOlivawmasterofmetroidVegemytenumber13SCREECH OF THE FARGTransporter
    How can you trademark "big boss"

law is weird

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited October 2015

I read the first trade paperback and didn't love it

It had inelegant swearing

To put it mildly

Hobnail on
    Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor