As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Phantom Pain

• AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    JayKaos wrote: »
    I just wish there was a better back half to the story. Everything else was perfect.

yeah basically everything from just before the final skull face mission on felt a bit awry

except the quarantine mission

jesus that one still haunts me

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    I kinda like the unstructured, weirdly paced second chapter

It definitely feels a bit rushed but in general the idea of "our nominal mission is complete and now the organization is devouring itself" works well enough for me to accept the rough edges

Also I think Kingdom of Flies sounds pretty dumb story wise so I'm not really shedding any tears that it got cut.

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I actually think the Skull Face story ends super strong

That moment with Huey undercutting everything is kind of brilliant

And speaking of, Huey's subplot is good the whole way through, it might be the only plot that lasts into Chapter Two that keeps the quality up

6F32U1X.png
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i don't think the location/encounter design in tpp is that good

most of the bases wind up feeling pretty same-y and you fight the same soldier ai through the entire game

the controls go a long way but i didn't leave the game feeling like i had anything to say about any base other than describing what it looks like

liEt3nH.png
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular

most of the bases wind up feeling pretty same-y and you fight the same soldier ai through the entire game

the controls go a long way but i didn't leave the game feeling like i had anything to say about any base other than describing what it looks like

I liked the bases just fine, but my #1 complaint with the game was that it needed more variety in its mission structure

Parts of the game bump up against the whole Hitman "clockwork universe" style design but they do almost nothing interesting with it

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    yeah i was gonna say, i think the new hitman is a very strong representation of some of what MGS5 was trying to do, and it has the benefit of focusing in very closely on the things it wants to do rather than having a broad scope

liEt3nH.png
  • LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    There are some parts of TPP's bases that were super great and intense to play, where you are just crawling along, dodging spotlights, and taking refuge behind tiny rises and ditches, which feel like beautiful refuges

But then so much of it is also just about sprinting through open spaces, and skirting the edges of very sparsely popilated bases, before making a beeline to whatever, and not dealing with the base enough.

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    I kind of love that MGSV shows that Ocelot is just kind of a chill dude when he's not pretending to be like five layers of cover identities

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Did anyone post about how scientists are looking into using wolbachia bacterium on mosquitoes to curb the spread of zika?

Cool times, good times.

More directly relevant to the topic at hand, TPP has lingered more pleasantly in my mind than most any game from the past year.

Sometimes I'll just be like walking down the street and think, "That dang ol' game with flying whales and flaming unicorns talked about Indian boarding schools and made me cry"

And that's not nothing

Poorochondriac on
    edited August 2016
    I cannot read the word wolbachia without hearing Code Talker say it

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
    KetBra wrote: »
    I kind of love that MGSV shows that Ocelot is just kind of a chill dude when he's not pretending to be like five layers of cover identities
    He's still under at least one layer of cover in this whole game, though

6F32U1X.png
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Yeah but he's not pretending to be anyone. All he's done is convince himself that Venom is Big Boss.

He's not pretending to be a terrorist or be Liquid fucking Snake

And I'm still not 100% on when he exits that particular trance. Is it early in the story? After the story missions?

KGMvDLc.jpg?1

I liked the bases just fine, but my #1 complaint with the game was that it needed more variety in its mission structure

Parts of the game bump up against the whole Hitman "clockwork universe" style design but they do almost nothing interesting with it

The game needed more dynamic missions. The missions where I was running around were some of the most memorable. Sneaking into the same base the 50th time was not.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    My only problem with MGSV's bases--and it's a pretty hard one to shake--is that even the biggest ones don't feel as complete as Guantanamo in Ground Zeroes. I'm really bummed that there were so few sprawling complexes like Mfinda Oil Field and the spot where you finally come face to Skull Face.

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
    Yeah but he's not pretending to be anyone. All he's done is convince himself that Venom is Big Boss.

He's not pretending to be a terrorist or be Liquid fucking Snake

And I'm still not 100% on when he exits that particular trance. Is it early in the story? After the story missions?
    pretty sure he's under the trance until at least skull face is killed

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    MGSV's Chapter 1 ending is so dang strong.

https://youtu.be/aAAbEgmENM0

Gets me every time.

I know it's a longshot, but maybe there's a chance we'll be getting some form of Kingdom of the Flies, built off the work for SuviVe.
    the big rematch with Sahelanthropus was intended to be in a warzone with multiple factions fighting it and you. That... kiiiinda sounds like the gameplay for SurviVe? And it seems like they're putting a Sahelanthropus fight in that at the very least. So assuming it's not a reskin of Mission 31, someone somewhere is building a new mech battle in FOX engine. Maybe they can do this other one too...

Oh brilliant
  • LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    man, Code Talker was such a great character

• mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    EDIT: Thanks for ruining my joke saved draft.
    I cannot read the word wolbachia without hearing Code Talker say it

COPULATE

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
    Lalabox wrote: »

I think he legit might be my favorite video game character?

Definitely in the running, at least.

Like the battle is between him, Grace Nakamura, Ciri, and Manny Calavera.

Code Talker on hamburgers might be my favourite video game goofiness

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular

Manny and Grace are incredibly good pulls, grace especially

That's some rad box art for the Definitive Edition MGSV. Could do without the 10/10 blurb, but otherwise, yeh thats coooool.

Oh brilliant

The Gabriel Knight games were Very Important to lil' Pooro

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    That's some rad box art for the Definitive Edition MGSV. Could do without the 10/10 blurb, but otherwise, yeh thats coooool.

To be fair, it's no Arkham City GOTY box

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
    Man what the hell was up with that one little scene with Code Talker freaking out

That never came up again

6F32U1X.png

they're very good games to have Formative Experiences around

they're very good games to have Formative Experiences around

I often wonder if I love noir because I loved Gabriel Knight, or if I loved Gabriel Knight because I was bound to love noir

What I do know for sure is that the best Protomen song is "The Hounds" because the horn riff bears a passing resemblance to the horn riff in the Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Father opening cinematic

i don't mean this as a dig, but your posting style made a LOT more sense now that I've internalized you as a Gabriel Knight fan

i don't mean this as a dig, but your posting style made a LOT more sense now that I've internalized you as a Gabriel Knight fan

a) I have a posting style?

b) No dig taken, don't worry, but I'm very curious what you mean there

look, gabriel knight has a lot of words when it wants to, and they're all very good

Man what the hell was up with that one little scene with Code Talker freaking out

That never came up again

I think it might have been tied up in the lacking explanation for the Puppet soldiers. From what I remember, it was a very similar effect, the kind of sparkly green particles.

There was never any real talk about what the fuck was happening to the possessed Puppet soldiers. They were being influenced by nearby Skull Units, but any look at how or why they were able to recover afterwards was absent.

Hypothetically, it may have been another kind of parasite power? Perhaps they were being used as 'cameras' and anything they saw was immediately relayed to the Skull's, explaining their omniscience in battle. Kill the Skull using them, signal gets cut and the Puppet is released. Code Talker had these same parasites and was using them to spy on Mother Base?

But that's all just assumptions. Could imagine it got cut due to being a third, unrelated branch of parasites.

Oh brilliant
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular

That never came up again

Made more sense before they cut these scenes
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xxzdvp0UGvw

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
    agoaj wrote: »

That never came up again

I admit it took me way too long to figure out what was going on in this vid

• mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    i still have never seen that splashing in the rain scene in the actual game.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I did and it was fucking mortifying

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
    The only one I missed was the low morale mutiny scene. It's a bummer that was optional, and you probably won't see it unless you're intentionally fucking up. Some of Venom's best lines are in it;

https://youtu.be/k5sV_61VpBI

Oh brilliant
    Kiefer Sutherland gives a good performance, what little of it there is

6F32U1X.png
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Anzekay wrote: »
    agoaj wrote: »

That never came up again

I admit it took me way too long to figure out what was going on in this vid

I'll have you know there is a very good reason for Huey not wearing pants.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
    I know it's a longshot, but maybe there's a chance we'll be getting some form of Kingdom of the Flies, built off the work for SuviVe.
    the big rematch with Sahelanthropus was intended to be in a warzone with multiple factions fighting it and you. That... kiiiinda sounds like the gameplay for SurviVe? And it seems like they're putting a Sahelanthropus fight in that at the very least. So assuming it's not a reskin of Mission 31, someone somewhere is building a new mech battle in FOX engine. Maybe they can do this other one too...

Konami says no, shut up

womp womp. It was a very low possibility, can't be too disappointed. Sad to see it's not in the cards at all tho.

Oh brilliant
  • GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    A reminder that TPP gave us this, indirectly.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9L1WYMKSaTA