As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The 2015 [MLB] Offseason is Off and Poppin'

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited November 2015
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Toronto Blue Jays
    Donaldson is a fine choice but sometimes I think they just don't want to give it to Trout if it can be avoided.

• Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    Toronto Blue Jays
    Donaldson is a fine choice but sometimes I think they just don't want to give it to Trout if it can be avoided.

Trout's problem is that he's so good and everyone knows it so in order for him to win the MVP, he has to be even better than everyone else.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    Toronto Blue Jays
    I don't think that's necessarily true.

I think it's more to do with the majority of voters still seeing counting stats like rbi and runs as valuable indicators as to a players worth and not you know, entirely team dependant.

I'm super happy that Donaldson won obviously, but if you just take all of Trouts stats and put him in the Jays line up and you're looking at even better counting stats.

He's also facing the battle of narratives.

Lose to Triple Crown, lose to player that, in the minds of voters, carried his team to the playoffs for the first time in 2 decades.

The real problem is people don't actually appreciate that Trout is already one of the best players to ever play.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    New York Mets
    Angry wrote: »
    I think it's more to do with the majority of voters still seeing counting stats like rbi and runs as valuable indicators as to a players worth and not you know, entirely team dependant.

but those stats mean they make things happen

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    Pittsburgh Pirates
    Trout had 9.0 fWAR this year and Donaldson had 8.7. So it's no big shakes either way.

What likely had the most to do with it was that the Jays made the playoffs and the Angels did not.

• Options
    Chicago Cubs

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    New York Yankees
    Hey, he sounded it out. He tried

• Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    Chicago Cubs
    that's how my mom says it

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Toronto Blue Jays
    Rumor is Cubs and Yankees are talking a Gardner for Castro swap

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    New York Yankees
    :?

I'd rather get a package of Baez plus some other prospect(s) depending on how low Baez's stock has fallen.

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    St. Louis Cardinals
    Goose! wrote: »
    Arrieta gets the NL Cy Young. I wonder if Kershaw took away some from Greinke?

I think that race was as close as you could possibly have it. Like, even if you look at traditional pitching stats, you had Greinke with ERA, Arrieta with wins (and a no hitter), and Kershaw with strikeouts. You start breaking down into the advanced stats and nobody breaks away from the crowd, even then.

I think Arrieta probably had the narrative advantage, which was probably just enough of a push to get him there (and if you give Kershaw's first place votes to Greinke, he still has 13 to Arrieta's 17, so I don't think that was the difference)

Though, looking at the voting breakdown, I sure have to wonder who gave a fifth place vote to John Lackey

It was me.

• Options
    Chicago Cubs

I'd rather get a package of Baez plus some other prospect(s) depending on how low Baez's stock has fallen.

I don't think Baez's stock would be low enough to trade for Gardner straight up, let alone with other prospects

• Options
    edited November 2015
    New York Yankees

I don't think Baez's stock would be low enough to trade for Gardner straight up, let alone with other prospects

Seemed like it to me, with the talk mid season of the club not sure he's more than a AAAA player.

Anyway, the broader point was to get cheaper while getting younger. I didn't realize how young Castro is, but he's nearing free agency in terms of service time.

Goose! on
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    New York Yankees
    Brewers traded for Johnathan Villar (sent a minor league pitcher back to Houston in return) and traded away Luis Sardinas to the Mariners.

Also, Jeter denied the gift baskets rumor on Joe Buck's dumb talk show.

Goose! on
  • Options
    Toronto Blue Jays
    Dave Roberts is your new Dodgers manager.

• Options
    411Randle411Randle Librarian Oook.Registered User regular
    Toronto Blue Jays
    Jays sign J.A. Happ to the third-largest contract they've ever offered a free agent pitcher.

Granted, that's still only 3 years, 36 million, but still. J.A. Happ?

On the bright side, if they're willing to spend that much on Happ...

1) Silence 2) Books must be returned by the last date shown 3) Do not interfere with the nature of causality
  • Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    Toronto Blue Jays
    The ball has apparently been in Toronto's court for a week with Price.

Which leads me to believe that they aren't doing a goddamn thing.

This Happ signing and Shapiro apparently wanting to hire one of the worst executives ever as GM has me just shaking my head.

• Options
    Toronto Blue Jays
    I keep hearing the Red Sox are going to throw all the money at him.

• Options
    Toronto Blue Jays
    Well, that brief period of hope was nice, I guess...

1) Silence 2) Books must be returned by the last date shown 3) Do not interfere with the nature of causality
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Los Angeles Dodgers
    they would be stupid to sign Price because he's probably asking for infinity dollars and his playoff record is fucking abysmal

• Options
  • Options
    Toronto Blue Jays
    That's a lot of money

• Options
    Los Angeles Dodgers
    I love this move

because its horrible for the Red Sox

• Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    Pittsburgh Pirates
    That's a lot of money

But was it all the money?

This reminds me that I had a fantasy league thing to mention. If we were thinking of making any rule changes that affected the draft in any way we should probably do that as soon as we can so everyone has enough time to plan, especially if trades start to happen at all. I doubt anyone's really thinking about it right now, but starting in January it's going to be creeping up.

• Options
    New York Yankees
    $31 million per year is insane.

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    New York Mets
    I guess the price...was right.

• Options
    Chicago Cubs

the cubs have a seriously good social media person

• Options
    Toronto Blue Jays
    Well, that's certainly an overpay. If the Jays can sign something from what's left for something more reasonable, I guess I can understand not wanting to shell out "highest pitcher contract ever" money. Kind of wish he'd left the AL East, though.

• Options
    Chicago Cubs
    Apparently the Cardinals were #2 in the bidding, so they're willing to spend some money

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    Toronto Blue Jays
    that David Price contract

ahah

ahahahahahahahah

• Options
    Toronto Blue Jays
    Yeah ok.

I want nothing to do with 30 million dollar regression years.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    New York Mets
    waitaminute

I just realized that Price isn't 25 anymore

what the hell is that contract?!

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Chicago Cubs
    Seeing rumors connecting the Cubs to the Braves. Apparently the Braves are interested in Jorge Soler, and the Cubs are interested in Shelby Miller or Julio Teharen. I have to say that I don't really like moving Soler for either of those guys (they'd def ask for more than Teharen), mostly because I'm not sure either is enough of an improvement to the rotation to justify trading Soler. I get those pitchers are young and have a lot of years of team control, especially compared to Hammel, but Hendricks put up the same WAR as Miller did, last year, and his peripheral stats were better.

I wouldn't mind if the Cubs traded for Miller, but...not for Soler.

• Options
    Los Angeles Dodgers
    I officially believe that Price is a formal sleeper agent of the Rays, sent through the division to sap resources from the opposition

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Toronto Blue Jays
    Well it worked on the Jays

• Options
    Los Angeles Dodgers
    I picked up The Show 15 in the bargain bin

they've changed hitting... in such a fashion that I suspect they may have purposely nerfed my approach!

I like to sit on the breaking ball and react fastball... they seem to have amped up the speed differences so you actually do have to guess/identify now instead of just having a standard swing timing

its like real baseball, i hate it!!

also i got drafted by the red sox, i hate it!!

• Options
    Toronto Blue Jays
    Marlins just named Barry Bonds their new hitting coach.

That's a damn good hire.

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    New York Mets
    Mike Stanton needs help hitting more home runs. I like it.

• Options
    Toronto Blue Jays
    Who better to hire than arguably the greatest hitter of all time?

This discussion has been closed.