As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Elite] Dangerous; Engineers Are GO!

• DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    The system's navigation beacon near the primary solar body is usually a good place to hunt pirates. The best spots to hunt pirates are the Resource Extraction Sites (RES for short). These are big mining operations you'll find located in planetary rings.

Also a basic scan will give you information on what organization a ship is in. Check your local Faction info to find out who the local gang is and how strong they are. If they are a really strong organization then finding their ships won't be too tough. But if they are already beaten down pretty hard it may be tough to find spawns.

• darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    Today I learned that "Lawless" and "Pirate" do not mean the same thing.

Also I welcome tips on pirate hunting. Right now, I'm jumping into the system that the mission tells me has pirates and vaguely flying around in supercruise until signal sources appear and I investigate those. One out of ten times maybe I find a pirate, that then proceeds to kick the shit out of me because I am terrible. Is there a more efficient method to track down these roguish sorts?

If it's a quota for a mission, I think your best bet would be either hanging out at a Resource Extraction Site if the system has ringed planets, or I think the jump/nav (I forget the name) beacon is another good bet.

forumsig.png
  • BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    If you want to come hunt pirates, come to Harma in Open and bring rare commodities from 120 or more light years away. I will meet you there -- I will be in the Federal Assault Ship as I am the Archon Noob Welcome Wagon.

Bigity on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I took my Adder out to do some combat since I saw some videos that said trading early on is more effort for less reward

And me and like nine other ships all ganged up on the one Python by this nav beacon who was wanted and when it died I got 130,000 credit bounty, plus the mission payment

So

Yeah

Do some bounty hunting early on, I guess!

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    These days early combat will get you much more money than early trading. I don't think it ever evens back out honestly, combat has had huge reward buffs.

• AumniAumni Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    These days early combat will get you much more money than early trading. I don't think it ever evens back out honestly, combat has had huge reward buffs.

I've seen some big credit/hr numbers thrown around - is it tied to the PowerPlay at all? Doing conflict zones seems to plateau pretty quick. I suppose with the bigger ships (I'm still Viper/Cobra level) high RES would be pretty good.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    So I had a pretty fun first session with the game tonight.
    • I found out that I shouldn't try to assassinate a Pirate Lord in a starter Sidewinder.
    • "Docking request denied...Docking request denied...Docking request denied..."
    • I tried to do some combat quests involving killing civilian ships. I got a bounty put on my head, and then the cops showed up and blew me out of the sky. I think I'll stick to smuggling...
    • Eventually built my way up to 150K credits and moved to the Eravate system. Got a new snazzy Adder for a ship with some neat new guns and a better warp drive, power generator, and more cargo space. Now I can transport all the slaves!
    • I found a wrecked ship with a lone survivor in an escape pod. I picked him up and sold him into slavery.
    • It seems certain stations lean towards certain mission types, is that the case? How do I tell what kind of station will have smuggling missions and not "go kill civilians" type missions

Any tips on what this power play faction stuff is I keep hearing about? I'm mostly worried about getting more credits right now, should I worry about that too?

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    If you're in Erevate, my guess is you started in LHS 3447.

Should that be the case, don't bother with PowerPlay unless you're going to join up with Hudson's squad unless you want to get ready to go 100+ LY to get out of Hudson's territory when you pledge to someone else. If it's Winters, I think you'll still be alright in Hudson space.

• darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    just mucking around in the tutorial.... I have a old Cytek Cyborg that I am using for flying.. its tricky.. should I just switch to KB/Mouse having a hell of a time trying to keep attackers in my sights.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
    edited November 2015
    Yeah stations are owned by one of the local factions. Their government type, the local economy and other local factions, neighboring systems and their factions among some other stuff is what goes into generating the missions for the bulletin board. You can definitely look around for systems that support the stuff you like to do.

I don't know if I'd recommend powerplay for a new player. Some of the mechanics are a bit obtuse. There are some solid benefits once you get a sure footing and know what you want out of the game.

Drake on
    If you're in Erevate, my guess is you started in LHS 3447.

Should that be the case, don't bother with PowerPlay unless you're going to join up with Hudson's squad unless you want to get ready to go 100+ LY to get out of Hudson's territory when you pledge to someone else. If it's Winters, I think you'll still be alright in Hudson space.

Yep, that's where I started out. Eravate seems like a better system, LHS 3447 seems kinda sucky.

edited November 2015
    Aumni wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »

I've seen some big credit/hr numbers thrown around - is it tied to the PowerPlay at all? Doing conflict zones seems to plateau pretty quick. I suppose with the bigger ships (I'm still Viper/Cobra level) high RES would be pretty good.

Some powers are more conducive to making money than others, some give bonuses to bounty hunting, some to trading, etc. They aren't required, but can help.

If you plan to actually participate and help your power - like Drake said, I'd recommend waiting until you have the base stuff down and a credit stockpile. I generally lose money supporting my faction and have to use the salary from my rank to mitigate the loss, and trade to make up the rest and profit for the week. However, I enjoy the Crew folks I interact with and we have a good time last minute fortifying and causing havoc for the Imperials that have been trying to kill our faction for the last few months.

Bigity on
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Where is a good place to look for early bounties?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    So today I learned some crucial facts

1. Lots of people try to scan and interdict me
    2. Turns out I have a hold full of valuable and illegal things
    3. Suns are bad, and not a viable escape strategy
    4. I need more O2

I got interdicted in supercruise around eravate and in my struggle to escape, flew into a suns gravity well. The other guy followed me. I managed to get away leaking oxygen after firing potshots and venting my cargo into said sun. Did not quite make it to a station though

• DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    'twas a good day to hunt.
    acgbs2x853bj.jpg

That was on the Potriti Nav Point. Ended up teaming with another two guys over there and we were chasing wanted people left and right. With some help from the authorities we had some good hauls.

Ended up getting me a shiny new Cobra Mk III and trying new, and more dangerous, bounties.
    5fe26d5wwo1f.jpg

Still trying to get the hang of the small auto-cannons. They seem to fire and stop, then fire and stop, and it's not the ammo emptying up (at least I don't think it empties that fast.)

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
    Welcome to Club Cobra. She's a hell of a work horse.

• AumniAumni Registered User regular
    Drovek wrote: »
    'twas a good day to hunt.
    acgbs2x853bj.jpg

That was on the Potriti Nav Point. Ended up teaming with another two guys over there and we were chasing wanted people left and right. With some help from the authorities we had some good hauls.

Ended up getting me a shiny new Cobra Mk III and trying new, and more dangerous, bounties.
    5fe26d5wwo1f.jpg

Still trying to get the hang of the small auto-cannons. They seem to fire and stop, then fire and stop, and it's not the ammo emptying up (at least I don't think it empties that fast.)

Also remember that the hardpoints on a cobra are kinda awkward. If your auto-cannons are on the belly you'll need to be pitched up slightly. Took me a while to figure that out.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • ValkunValkun Registered User regular
    Been keeping an eye on this one for a while but the current sale was too good to pass up.

The first bit of play was certainly interesting. Did the tutorials, watched a getting started video, customized the controls heavily (good god, why is mouse-x roll?!). The game runs surprisingly well on my budget PC.

Started up proper in open play and immediately looked at the mission board. One Osmium for 60k eh? Sounds easy enough. Leave my starting station and realize I'm speeding, whoops. Looking through the local sector, find an asteroid belt that looks promising and start heading towards it. Noticed a salvageable ship on the list so I took a little detour. Interdiction! Didn't feel like getting into a tussle with the starter ship so I headed towards the blue circle of freedom. The only thing at the salvage site was a single escape pod. Did the right honorable thing and took them aboard. Back to mining! Overshoot location, turn around, slow down properly and enter field. As I thought, it takes a mining laser to mine, ah well.

Hmm, didn't Scott Manley say something about scanning stars? Pointed my ship towards that shining beacon in super cruise. Hot, too hot! Managed to turn away before my hull melted away but the exit vector took me right back into the corona. The ship's not looking too good at this point, time to head back to port. Another salvage site popped up. This one had a good dozen souls floating in space, but my hold could only hold another three.

Docking denied. Docking denied. Docking denied. Think I might need to fly towards less busy space. A quick hop into solo and I get my docking clearance. It took me a good two minutes to make the landing as the pad would just not recognize that I was there. Finally slammed the ship into the landing pad and it registered. No black market. Right, I know my original station had one. Managed to score 12k credits for delivering my passengers safely. Definitely not into slavery.

edited November 2015
    Also, I realize you can pitch faster than you can yaw, but coming from other space sims the default controls are just too weird.

Valkun on
    edited November 2015
    darkmayo wrote: »
    just mucking around in the tutorial.... I have a old Cytek Cyborg that I am using for flying.. its tricky.. should I just switch to KB/Mouse having a hell of a time trying to keep attackers in my sights.

Couple of things:

1) When dogfighting, you want to keep your throttle/speed in the 'blue' zone on the right of your scanner. In this range your ship has the best response. You can adjust to close or run as needed, and should.
    2) Some ships turn faster than others - if your ship is less nimble than your target, you may need to stay at a further range, so you don't have to adjust as much to keep them in your sights. Obviously, fixed weapons are not good for ships that can't turn fast enough - you'll want gimbled weapons (which are affected by chaff), or turrets on the really big, slow ships in some cases (also affected by chaff). Fixed weapons are only good for ships with enough agility to turn tightly (Vulture and Federal Assault Ship come to mind, but they can work on some other ships well once you get your bindings all figured out - including sensitivity on your joystick etc).

Bigity on
    Welp. Decided to fly coreward and may have made a miscalculation. Sitting within spitting distance of the landing pad, slowly suffocating to death. Oh, I didn't realize that was load bearing oxygen, the ship just exploded.

edited November 2015
    Valkun wrote: »
    Been keeping an eye on this one for a while but the current sale was too good to pass up.

The first bit of play was certainly interesting. Did the tutorials, watched a getting started video, customized the controls heavily (good god, why is mouse-x roll?!). The game runs surprisingly well on my budget PC.

Started up proper in open play and immediately looked at the mission board. One Osmium for 60k eh? Sounds easy enough. Leave my starting station and realize I'm speeding, whoops. Looking through the local sector, find an asteroid belt that looks promising and start heading towards it. Noticed a salvageable ship on the list so I took a little detour. Interdiction! Didn't feel like getting into a tussle with the starter ship so I headed towards the blue circle of freedom. The only thing at the salvage site was a single escape pod. Did the right honorable thing and took them aboard. Back to mining! Overshoot location, turn around, slow down properly and enter field. As I thought, it takes a mining laser to mine, ah well.

Hmm, didn't Scott Manley say something about scanning stars? Pointed my ship towards that shining beacon in super cruise. Hot, too hot! Managed to turn away before my hull melted away but the exit vector took me right back into the corona. The ship's not looking too good at this point, time to head back to port. Another salvage site popped up. This one had a good dozen souls floating in space, but my hold could only hold another three.

Docking denied. Docking denied. Docking denied. Think I might need to fly towards less busy space. A quick hop into solo and I get my docking clearance. It took me a good two minutes to make the landing as the pad would just not recognize that I was there. Finally slammed the ship into the landing pad and it registered. No black market. Right, I know my original station had one. Managed to score 12k credits for delivering my passengers safely. Definitely not into slavery.

If you need to dock and the station is full, switch to solo mode.

Never mind I can't read

Bigity on
  • CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Well after jumping to around eight different systems, I finally finally found a hauling job that I was capable of doing. Every other mission seems to be targeted for ships that are much better outfitted than mine. And that took a few hours, so I'm taking a break. I literally cannot find any pirates to hunt anywhere, so I'm giving up on doing that for the moment.

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    Well after jumping to around eight different systems, I finally finally found a hauling job that I was capable of doing. Every other mission seems to be targeted for ships that are much better outfitted than mine. And that took a few hours, so I'm taking a break. I literally cannot find any pirates to hunt anywhere, so I'm giving up on doing that for the moment.

I found an unexplored system, and scanned everything. Managed to sell it for 20k, and pick up a couple upgrades.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
    Oh man, I was bounty hunting in a low intensity Resource Extraction Site, and I accidentally fired on a friendly ship after getting 400K+ in bounty claims. I wasn't able to escape from the cops fast enough and I lost all of it.

May not seem like a lot to you guys, but I'm down to my last 1000 credits. That stung a bit :(

• darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Oh man, I was bounty hunting in a low intensity Resource Extraction Site, and I accidentally fired on a friendly ship after getting 400K+ in bounty claims. I wasn't able to escape from the cops fast enough and I lost all of it.

May not seem like a lot to you guys, but I'm down to my last 1000 credits. That stung a bit :(

I think I had a similar moment when I was starting out. The lessons in Elite can come at a high cost, unfortunately.

forumsig.png

This exact thing happened to me last night

Elite is a harsh and delicate mistress

signature-deffo.jpg
    Managed to get some more bounties and now I have a Cobra Mk III instead of a dinky Adder to hunt pirates in.

I'm considering pledging to one of the powers that are good for bounty hunting. What would be a good one? I heard Alissa is decent, but I like Archon Delaine a lot. Does he offer any benefits to bounty hunters?

• RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    Uh, you'll certainly get a lot of experience in combat with him.

• dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Managed to get some more bounties and now I have a Cobra Mk III instead of a dinky Adder to hunt pirates in.

I'm considering pledging to one of the powers that are good for bounty hunting. What would be a good one? I heard Alissa is decent, but I like Archon Delaine a lot. Does he offer any benefits to bounty hunters?

Note: Things will spawn to shoot at you, and they will be very large.

• BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    The Eagle is a very fun little ship. <3

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • jinkumabutajinkumabuta Registered User regular

I believe the A. Lavigny Duval faction is still bugged atm in that their bounty bonus is counted twice though the bug has been acknowledged by Frontier so they will fix it next patch. Those who are hardcore enough to grind to rank 5 ALD are basically making more money bounty hunting than end-game traders right now.

That said, beware that once you've pledged to a power, you will start occasionally getting interdicted by rival faction NPCs (and sometimes actual players who play part in those organized blockades) on top of the regular interdictors from missions and pirates... If you're confident in being able to defend yourself against endless eagles, courriers, DBEs and vipers, then go for it!
    Otherwise, you're honestly not missing much from powerplay. The main activities are kinda very high time investment to reward ratio in addition to being a bit plain dull at the moment.

• dporowskidporowski Registered User regular

I believe the A. Lavigny Duval faction is still bugged atm in that their bounty bonus is counted twice though the bug has been acknowledged by Frontier so they will fix it next patch. Those who are hardcore enough to grind to rank 5 ALD are basically making more money bounty hunting than end-game traders right now.

That said, beware that once you've pledged to a power, you will start occasionally getting interdicted by rival faction NPCs (and sometimes actual players who play part in those organized blockades) on top of the regular interdictors from missions and pirates... If you're confident in being able to defend yourself against endless eagles, courriers, DBEs and vipers, then go for it!
    Otherwise, you're honestly not missing much from powerplay. The main activities are kinda very high time investment to reward ratio in addition to being a bit plain dull at the moment.

Don't forget the surprise Anacondas!

I'm not bitter. Still. At all.

• Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    This looks so good, I'll have to remember to pick up Horizons when it comes to console, I doubt my PC can handle it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyPoaVRErE0

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    I still don't get I've thing about horizons: is it completely separate? Will non horizons people just not get access to the new stuff but otherwise coexist with the other players?

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • DockenDocken Registered User regular
    If you do t have it you get stopped at the current planet wall - if you have it you can then transition to the surface.

So nothing really changes if you don't have it and everyone coexists together.

• jinkumabutajinkumabuta Registered User regular
    Drovek wrote: »
    I still don't get I've thing about horizons: is it completely separate? Will non horizons people just not get access to the new stuff but otherwise coexist with the other players?

Yes, pretty much.

We'll all co-exist in the same world but some rides in the theme park will be closed to you is you don't have the expansion.
    There's a lot of exciting stuff though and honestly I think that if you have the sort of personality that enjoyed the base game for what it is, the expansion will be more than worth the price of admission.

• AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Okay, well that was an interesting system. I guess my plan of "Pick an interesting looking star to plot a course to in the generation direction of the nebula I eventually want to reach someday" is working out. Present in the system:

* 14 Stars. The main star was one giant O-type that was large enough to still be immediately obvious even 9,500 ls away. The rest included: 1 A, 1 G, 3 K, 3 L Dwarfs, 1 T Dwarf, & 4 Y Dwarfs.
    * 17 Planets. 10 of them were boring Rocky Bodies, but there was: 1 Icy Body, 2 High Metals, 1 Metal Rich, 2 Type III Gas Giants, & 1 Water Giant; the last of which I hadn't seen before.
    * 3 Black Holes. One of the Black Holes was in a binary orbit with the main O-type. The other two were in binary orbit of each other, only 4-5 ls apart; and orbiting them (anywhere from 15-60 ls away) were 2 of the stars and a half-dozen of the planets in the system.

Thanks for the 115k CR system in a 375k CR trip.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    That is one hell of a stellar dust up. Neat!

9KmX8eN.jpg
    Aegis wrote: »
    Okay, well that was an interesting system. I guess my plan of "Pick an interesting looking star to plot a course to in the generation direction of the nebula I eventually want to reach someday" is working out. Present in the system:

* 14 Stars. The main star was one giant O-type that was large enough to still be immediately obvious even 9,500 ls away. The rest included: 1 A, 1 G, 3 K, 3 L Dwarfs, 1 T Dwarf, & 4 Y Dwarfs.
    * 17 Planets. 10 of them were boring Rocky Bodies, but there was: 1 Icy Body, 2 High Metals, 1 Metal Rich, 2 Type III Gas Giants, & 1 Water Giant; the last of which I hadn't seen before.
    * 3 Black Holes. One of the Black Holes was in a binary orbit with the main O-type. The other two were in binary orbit of each other, only 4-5 ls apart; and orbiting them (anywhere from 15-60 ls away) were 2 of the stars and a half-dozen of the planets in the system.

Thanks for the 115k CR system in a 375k CR trip.

And I thought it was weird finding a system with five suns

signature-deffo.jpg