As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Elite] Dangerous; Engineers Are GO!

• Options
    GashikGashik Office Communist Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Petesalzl wrote: »
    Bigity wrote: »
    With all these sweet smuggling missions I'm close to benching my Clipper for an Asp.

i didnt find the asp to be much better than the cobra. because of the increased size/mass anything that is a higher rank is needed just make up the difference. for example it has bigger thrusters but is slower, has bigger fsd but doesnt jump as far.

its highest hardpoints are two mediums, which is the same as the cobra.

its internals are two 2s, three 3s, one 5, one 6/ which yes compaired to the cobras three 2s, and three 4s is a improvement, but i put a shield generator in the 6 and a fuel scoop in the 5, leaving the 2s and 3s for everything else which again is comparable to the cobra.

so really in the end youre paying an extra 20-30 million for a bigger, slower, cant jump as far ship with slightly better shields

edit: also yes, interdiction is broken, i know for certain because one time i was getting frutrated with it not working i just ignored it, but didnt submit either and i succeeded in avoiding the interdiction for no logical reason. i cant imagine that would be considered working as intended

While I'll grant you the Asp has a fairly steep jump in price over a Cobra, the cargo and jump range advantage goes to the Asp in this case. Here's a comparison of two built for smuggling. Built for jump range, cargo, and speed. No weapons, smallest shield possible. Key is, don't fit your class 6 internal slot with a shield unless you're planning to do combat in it. For smuggling, that should be a cargo rack.

http://coriolis.io/comparison/N4IgdiBcYK4DZwDQgEZQNqgM5RAQywAcRkJIQBBIgAgBcBTLWkkAY1wAYBWAES4v4AWHsN5cAwgFppM2dw6COAJmWKOARg0A6AJIB3dQA4A6gEUAvOa0UDJi+ZABfRNlysA9igBOeAPoBbAGtfAEswljI2TzwvOkZmZHZyBREKQQoAZh4srMEpWUkODKK1TTLdA0lAiktrSurLJwBdZAAzDABORAA2REFEdUQMxCUWkGJyMDx-ehYAEygORyA===

Gashik on
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Yea but I love the Asp :D

• Options
    PetesalzlPetesalzl vorpal blade in hand Registered User regular
    ok, good point on the smuggling comparison.

i was had been running without shields for smuggling for a time, but kept getting attacked and especially now with interdiction being troublesome i went back to having a shield. which them i have to assume the rank 6 shields added weight were the cause of my reduced jumps, because it certainly isnt better than the cobra with the layout i mention before

• Options
    Rank 6 shields are overkill for non-combat. You just want them to hold up long enough for you to get away. I really like the 2 extra small hardpoints in the Asp too, I can fit fun stuff on there like rails.

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Yea but I love the Asp :D

I believe the popular expression is "dat Asp, tho".

forumsig.png
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I believe the Asp is the longest jumper in the game, maybe second to the Anaconda.

• Options
    edited October 2015
  • Options
    that website is amazing

• Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    Some footage of planetary landings has surfaced!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=553mTYXSGPU

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Gashik wrote: »

Max jump notwithstanding, you can fit an Anaconda to have enormous range.

553 LY... It's absolutely insane.

EDIT:

Or this guy: 21.8 LY Jump Fully Fueled, 801.12 LY Range (This one is a bit of stretch)

Soggybiscuit on
    Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    Freaking disconnects and 60s jumps are pissing me off today.

• Options
    Freaking disconnects and 60s jumps are pissing me off today.

sunday was really anoyying too cause it was offline for a number of hours. and the sad par twas i finnaly convinced a friend of mine to play it he logged in for the first time and we couldnt get voice chat to work, so we went and set up a team speak channel... only to have the game servers go down a few minutes later

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Aaaaagh. I just came back with to Smeaton Port with a hold full of Platinum and Painite and dang I got interdicted FOUR times. Twice by a pirate named Amy who had a decently kitted Cobra, and then twice by her alongside Julie, who had a fucking Python! Thank goodness for ECM.

Is it better to have ECM, or point defense?

Also I think although the Asp is something I've had my eye on for a while, I may actually just pick up a Diamondback Explorer and hang out in Mahon space racking up Powerplay credit. It seems punchy enough to hold out in a fight and it can take the little bit of cargo I'll need for Powerplay junk.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    Aaaaagh. I just came back with to Smeaton Port with a hold full of Platinum and Painite and dang I got interdicted FOUR times. Twice by a pirate named Amy who had a decently kitted Cobra, and then twice by her alongside Julie, who had a fucking Python! Thank goodness for ECM.

Is it better to have ECM, or point defense?

Also I think although the Asp is something I've had my eye on for a while, I may actually just pick up a Diamondback Explorer and hang out in Mahon space racking up Powerplay credit. It seems punchy enough to hold out in a fight and it can take the little boy of cargo I'll need for Powerplay junk.

Honestly, I've been hit by so few missiles that I think chaff is far more important than either of those. Chaff makes turreted and gimballed weapons useless for a period of time. 4 pips to engines, drop chaff, and boost away.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    when people drop chaff I just turn off my targetting and luke skywalker that shit

• Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    Yeah I remember we both did that in hazres and all I could think was ... good ... good.

Chaff probably works against npcs, though.

• Options
    Tube wrote: »
    when people drop chaff I just turn off my targetting and luke skywalker that shit

Did you bulleye womprats in your T-16 back in the good ol' days?

• Options
    Yeah I remember we both did that in hazres and all I could think was ... good ... good.

Yeah, I have no idea about players (I haven't encountered many), but against NPCs it rocks. Won't stop a plasma accelerator shot from knocking you out though.

• Options

Kentucky windage ftw mamajammas.

• Options
    MadPenMadPen San DiegoRegistered User regular

Yeah, I have no idea about players (I haven't encountered many), but against NPCs it rocks. Won't stop a plasma accelerator shot from knocking you out though.

It works against the vast majority of players as well. Even against really good players, it'll buy you a second or two while they point away from you to lose their shitty lock.

3DS: 4098-4243-6127
  • Options
    Anyone who can hit anything with a plasma accelerator deserves it

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Yeah that bolt is too damned slow. So are cannon shells, I miss the beta cannons.

DarkMecha on
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    GUuuuuuuys. Sothis. Someone got 31m worth of smuggling missions there. One was 20 mil.

Course, its like 500 ly out.

Bigity on
  • Options
    DarkMecha wrote: »
    Yeah that bolt is too damned slow. So are cannon shells, I miss the beta cannons.

Hitting things with the cannon is basically an accident. Eventually I realised I'd do more damage just putting another pulse on the huge hard point.

• Options
    DarkMecha wrote: »

Hitting things with the cannon is basically an accident. Eventually I realised I'd do more damage just putting another pulse on the huge hard point.

I think that particular one is meant for larger targets only, which I'm fine with. I've had success with smaller cannons but it's a very short ranged kind of thing.

Really though the engagement ranges in ED are very close anyways. Few of the weapons have ranges longer than around 3km.

• Options
    Cannons are fine against appropriate targets. I prefer them on a fixed mount. Once you get a feel for them it's like shooting from the hip cowboy style. You just have to be picky with your shots. Use good deflection and observe your enemies attitude.

• Options
    I'd agree with that, it does feel that way. I've had success with them as they do a lot of damage and they really wreck subsystems. I just remember them in beta. Oh the sweet 4x cannon Vipers blasting people as they come out of stations. Was probably OP heh.

Also don't be afraid to use missiles. I've ranted about them in the past, but that was mostly because they kept bugging out on me. It seems like they are fixed now, or it was just lag / bad luck. It's kind of like star trek photon torpedoes - they do minimal shield damage but wreck hulls. I like that dynamic and I frequently use missiles now.

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    You definitely can't have multiple chaff systems though, right? I figure on a dedicated mining rig that's literally popping from Njikal 3 to Njikal 4, it makes sense to just have maximum defensive stuff. Are point defense cannons good at taking down missiles, or does it make more sense to go for the ECM?

On that note actually holy HECK can I not wait for them to re-tool the outfitting significantly. Just... just give me like... a few more options for "stores".

The "literally all the internals" store is so fucking gigantic, scrolling through with a joystick setup is interminable.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    So... anyone tried out the Federal Gunship? (Or as I'm gonna call it, the Dropship Mk. 3)

I bought an Assault Ship and I do actually like it in a combat role. It's got a nice boost to firepower and power generation; it has significantly worse shields than a Vulture but does have plenty of room and power to put in some shield cell banks, unlike the Vulture. It's also less maneuverable than the Vulture, of course, but it basically matches it with speed and I'd compare it's flies better than even most smaller ships excluding the dedicated combat fighters. Also while it's not optimal for it you can use it for non-combat roles if you want. Also it's really massive (like, it has a lot of mass) so you can actually ram anacondas and, assuming neither of you have shields, come out on top.

With the Gunship though.... it's more than twice as expensive, significantly slower, and trades away one of its large hardpoints in favor of two small and two mediums. It's got better internal compartments and thus better shields/is tougher but to me it doesn't look like that's worth the severe tradeoff in maneuverability as well as the relatively high price tag. Is it better than it looks on paper?

Also @Tube what'd you say your id was?

• Options
    You definitely can't have multiple chaff systems though, right? I figure on a dedicated mining rig that's literally popping from Njikal 3 to Njikal 4, it makes sense to just have maximum defensive stuff. Are point defense cannons good at taking down missiles, or does it make more sense to go for the ECM?

On that note actually holy HECK can I not wait for them to re-tool the outfitting significantly. Just... just give me like... a few more options for "stores".

The "literally all the internals" store is so fucking gigantic, scrolling through with a joystick setup is interminable.

You can have multiple chaffs - and if you bind to a key vs a fire group, they only fire one at a time.

• Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    If a ship is moving so slow that it can be shot by one of those precision fire weapons, I would prefer to just ram it and have it be dead.

• Options
    Played some more CQC. I managed to survive for an entire deathmatch and even placed 4th. Flying well enough to not die the whole match felt pretty good. The Condor is a handy little fighter. It's pretty funny how big Eagles look from its cockpit too.

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Bought the game. Undocked. (First try!) Bought a chaff launcher! Can't buy chaff. Problem. Figured out how to put it and my discovery scanner in groups, and discovered what my discovery scanner does. Found a "conflict zone", became intimidated, and flew back to where I started. Landed! (Second try.)

Is there uh, like, "the idiot's first steps to doing things" somewhere? I found the bulletin board, but didn't really think it a good idea to pick up cargo that says "illegal in (station I'm in I forgot)".

Also what does "loaned" mean in the context of "everything on my ship but the chaff launcher"?

• Options
    Here you go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLsHmTe-4MU

All of your starter gear is "loaned" to you. You can't sell them for cash basically is all it means.

• Options
    If a ship is moving so slow that it can be shot by one of those precision fire weapons, I would prefer to just ram it and have it be dead.

This. You can line the shot up right and do a lot of damage (or miss), or you could just put a laser in there and do the same damage as regular, constant DPS. It's ok for an alpha strike, but I'm pretty sure you're going to be losing out significantly in terms of actual damage.

• Options

This. You can line the shot up right and do a lot of damage (or miss), or you could just put a laser in there and do the same damage as regular, constant DPS. It's ok for an alpha strike, but I'm pretty sure you're going to be losing out significantly in terms of actual damage.

I found cannons to be useful for player pirating. If you line the shot up right, two cannons landing their shots on drives knocks them out pretty well. However, I did not care for them for PvE fights.

• Options
    Ok guys. Sothis, about 450ly from Sol.

Missions give money based on the distance. I went out there in my Asp, spent 30 minutes or so refreshing missions, headed back with 7-8 and made 23.5 million space bucks.

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular

Missions give money based on the distance. I went out there in my Asp, spent 30 minutes or so refreshing missions, headed back with 7-8 and made 23.5 million space bucks.

These are new smuggling missions! You'll have to deliver illegal cargo to the destination(s), some of which will be outposts (so no zooming through the mail slot at suicidal speed). There are also NPCs dispatched to chase you down and interdict you.

They sound amazing, honestly.

• Options

That's amazing money.

I need to get in on that.