As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Once Upon A Time In The [Chat]

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    @Aioua your friend will probably need to bug a real estate person in Japan. Most apartments are found via them if they want a normal place. Japan doesn't really do the Craig's List/Apartment Search the way the US does. If they want something furnished and kind of crappy without key money have them look at Leo Palace.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    I want that 808
    That boom boom in your town

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    I've thought about trying to start a union at work

but we can't

well we could, but I don't work for my MEGACORP company, I work for one of the like 20 different companies contracting work to MEGACORP, so even if mine somehow unionized that wouldn't mean we had an actual effective union of the MEGACORP workers.
    Then MEGACORP would drop our company when it was contract renewal time.

~*~contract work is a scam~*~

ABOLISH

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Also if I'm a voice actor and we're halfway through recording for a character and I lose my voice because of 8 hours of gruntwork the previous day, costs are going to be imposed outside of your budget anyway because the schedule gets fucked

what are you going to do, recast halfway through

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I've thought about trying to start a union at work

but we can't

well we could, but I don't work for my MEGACORP company, I work for one of the like 20 different companies contracting work to MEGACORP, so even if mine somehow unionized that wouldn't mean we had an actual effective union of the MEGACORP workers.
    Then MEGACORP would drop our company when it was contract renewal time.

~*~contract work is a scam~*~

It really is, you're paid a ridiculous amount of money that you immediately lose 40-60 percent of to your recruiter and you typically get no benefits other than low end health insurance that now costs more than obamacare for about the same level of support, and you don't get vacation or holiday pay.

All so a company doesn't have to actually invest in you.

Fuck contract work.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    A cute girl at Panera just told me that I have a voice like Charlie Day

NOT SURE IF GOOD

This is a good thing. Look up Night Attack. One of the hosts looks and sounds a LOT like Charlie Day. Very successful!

(Also Night Attack is great)

• Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    Alazull wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    That SAG voice actors strike....

I am in favor of most of their demands, but stunt pay for vocal work is ridiculous. Stunt co-ordinator for Mo-Cap, SURE. Not fucking hazard pay for doing what you do for a living. I don't get hazard pay for typing at work all day. Just get insurance on your damn voice.

screaming is rull bad for your voice

It's also what they decided to do for a living. I'm just saying there's nothing that's going to convince me that voice actors need stunt pay for having to scream from time to time.

their voice is their instrument. There are actors/singers who have to walk around mutely for weeks before/after a performance to preserve their voices.

I disagree with you.

Fair enough, and I'm not calling them babies or anything, I agree with 99% of it, I just think that one line needs to be replaced with mandated shorter sessions for stressful dialogue instead. I don't see the studios buying into it.

Well, counter-argument, by knowing they'll have to pay more for stressful sessions they'll probably keep the sessions short and concise on their own.

Like that's usually the best way to structure a CBA, instead of putting in strictures on how much time or when certain things can happen, just make it cost more and the people using it will naturally curtail it themselves.

I'll buy that. Set up the high-ball offer so you get what you want in the middle agreement. You've sold me. Also I don't care if they get the stunt pay, I'm not a voice actor and I don't pay $70 for new games anyway so I don't give a shit if they get more expensive. Kudos, you've turned my opinion. I think you just won the internet : )

The rest of you though....

You just lost the game.

Yay logic wins again!

User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular

NOT SURE IF GOOD

tumblr_leoh91WD0u1qflfnio1_500.jpg

unfff

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Aioua your friend will probably need to bug a real estate person in Japan. Most apartments are found via them if they want a normal place. Japan doesn't really do the Craig's List/Apartment Search the way the US does. If they want something furnished and kind of crappy without key money have them look at Leo Palace.

Yeah his employer is going to get him set up with an agency. They bring people over a lot so they've got a system in place.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I mean, I'd fuck Charlie Day

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    in high school i was in this governor's school for the arts program over the summer (no longer offered because when the budget cuts come, they come for the arts first), and my roommate was in there for singing

She couldn't speak for a full week leading up to a performance she had and mimed everything she needed

i was like...yo...im just here to draw.....this is commitment..........

I've heard some singers, like Hayley Williams, don't speak before concerts to preserve their voice.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    i'm a contract and i wish i werent

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular

NOT SURE IF GOOD

unfff

Just, y'know, don't obsess about the grungy bar you're the janitor for all the time and you should be golden.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Quite often a day of grunting or making certain voices can leave them unable to work the next couple days.

If my job required me to do something that had an affect on my body that prevented me from working, yeah, I think some extra pay would be in order.

Don't all jobs require you to do something that has an affect on your body?

Are you intentionally ignoring the part where I said 'unable to work the next couple days'? Or did you just skim what I wrote?

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    In other news, I finished a few more animation cycles for my pixel art platformer.

adr9vx2goz8x.gif

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    Googling around it sounds like there is plenty of push-back and disgust amongst Japanese people towards the racism and exclusion bullshit.

So... glorious Nippon is just like everywhere else: Normal people and racist assholes both.

Also, the author of that delightful refugee manga in her own words:
    “It is my understanding that most of the refugees fleeing Syria this time are bogus asylum seekers. Instead of traveling around furtively like before, those illegal migrants are now inundating other countries through the front door,” Hasumi said.

“I have no problem with genuine refugees who really are unfortunate. This illustration is supposed to be a dig at those ‘bogus refugees’ who are exploiting the world’s sympathy for those truly in trouble.”

Lady, if that's "your understanding" then maybe you need to stop hanging out on Stormfront.org

Or the BBC I guess, who also reported recently on the number of not-Syrian refugees claiming they are.
    link to article pls

I'm looking and all I'm able to find on BBC and other british sites is a story about a fake photo that was circulated claiming to prove an isis man was posing as a refugee and the flury of retractions following the debunking of the photo.

• Options

NOT SURE IF GOOD

unfff

Just, y'know, don't obsess about the grungy bar you're the janitor for all the time and you should be golden.

but you do have to marry The Waitress

that's nonegotiable for true Charlie Dayery

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Quite often a day of grunting or making certain voices can leave them unable to work the next couple days.

If my job required me to do something that had an affect on my body that prevented me from working, yeah, I think some extra pay would be in order.

Are you intentionally ignoring the part where I said 'unable to work the next couple days'? Or did you just skim what I wrote?

Neither.

There have been times I have hurt myself on the job and have had to take personal time to recover.

One of those I had a union and they gave me time off to get better.

Are we being combative for a reason?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Oh my god you guys I ordered a sandwich and it is just a mess.

It is the kind of sandwich made that someone had heard of the concept but had maybe never seen one?

Like all the meat and cheese is at one side, the veg on the other, mayo and mustard oozing out. Cut into fourths all willy-nilly so that it's not equal sections, and then it wasn't even wrapped completely, despite the presence of two pieces of foil.

I...I might actually take this back.

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    In other news, I finished a few more animation cycles for my pixel art platformer.

I want a laser/forcefield watch!

beats the crap out of lame apple watch for sure

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular

adr9vx2goz8x.gif

This is looking very Another World ish! :D

Oh brilliant
  • Options

adr9vx2goz8x.gif

This is looking very Another World ish! :D

That's kind of the idea. Not so much Prince of Persia control though, more metriodvania

• Options
    edited October 2015

Neither.

There have been times I have hurt myself on the job and have had to take personal time to recover.

I think we're all in agreement that unions are good for labor.

I really hate the anti-union sentiment that has developed. The refinery workers here went on strike for like six months because of safety issues (i.e. not wanting to die in a fire on a regular basis) and you would see people telling them they were being lazy and should get back to work because it was "driving up gas prices".

I'm just like guys we should be worried about it too if that thing goes up its like five miles out of town.

Alazull on
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    yA5YB.jpg

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    8IbH4NEl.jpg

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod

NOT SURE IF GOOD

how's your pratfall game

I walk into things all the time

This is blind privilege

• Options

NOT SURE IF GOOD

how's your pratfall game

This is blind privilege

How did you know she was cute then?

• Options

NOT SURE IF GOOD

how's your pratfall game

This is blind privilege

Did you even WATCH Daredevil?

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    Googling around it sounds like there is plenty of push-back and disgust amongst Japanese people towards the racism and exclusion bullshit.

So... glorious Nippon is just like everywhere else: Normal people and racist assholes both.

Also, the author of that delightful refugee manga in her own words:
    “It is my understanding that most of the refugees fleeing Syria this time are bogus asylum seekers. Instead of traveling around furtively like before, those illegal migrants are now inundating other countries through the front door,” Hasumi said.

“I have no problem with genuine refugees who really are unfortunate. This illustration is supposed to be a dig at those ‘bogus refugees’ who are exploiting the world’s sympathy for those truly in trouble.”

Lady, if that's "your understanding" then maybe you need to stop hanging out on Stormfront.org

Or the BBC I guess, who also reported recently on the number of not-Syrian refugees claiming they are.
    link to article pls

I have none, caught it on one of the midday radio things they do on NPR stations.

• Options

NOT SURE IF GOOD

how's your pratfall game

This is blind privilege

her adorkable laugh

her dreamy monologue about how happiness is in the little things

the way she briefly touched his fingers when she took his credit card

that's love, Alazull. Love.

• Options

NOT SURE IF GOOD

how's your pratfall game

This is blind privilege

Did you even WATCH Daredevil?

Yes.

Still, he wouldn't be walking into things all the time if he was all Daredevil.

I've still got him.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod

NOT SURE IF GOOD

how's your pratfall game

This is blind privilege

She gently moves his hands to touch her face. Slowly, his fingers move to a build an image of her; tears stream down his face. I watch through the window.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Also, her boobs were so big they stretched all the way across the register and smothered Jacob's face as he stated his order

love

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    I do like all the game devs arguing on Wheaton's blog about how they don't think VAs deserve anything because they don't get residuals either and the general response is "well maybe you guys should form a union too"

I'd like to see a programmer union. That would be interesting. The Local 404.

I would sell my mother for a Programmers/IT/Computer Worker's union

I wonder if some the issue is that most of our industry was built up during prosperous times. "If you don't like it just go somewhere else" was an easy thing to do, supposedly. So we never really had a foundation of needing any real workers protection. And now that attitude is just kinda baked into the industry.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    I'm going to feel like such a prick if the case is immediately lost because one of the defendants isnt there

but im pretty sure thats not the case, and in fact the reason for joint and severable liability (if you can only get one of them you can still sue all of them)

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Also, her boobs were so big they stretched all the way across the register and smothered Jacob's face as he stated his order

love

truly

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    I think I already posted this one but here's the group shot for the game.

k3y3g123ie6l.gif

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Exclusionary racism and Japan is complicated. It is tied to a culture that believes an individual of a group can lose all privileges by actions of other individuals of that group. Most of the stuff you see the no foreigner signs are like bath houses and onsens. Some of the more famous ones are in Hokkaido with ports that tend to get Russian sailors. Now the Russians are basically drunk sailors with a bad rap. They are also white. So when a white American who speaks Japanese and is polite comes he is excluded for being part of the group known as white foreigners because of those Russians.

Culturally the Japanese see this as okay as it can happen with in Japanese society. If you have a tattoo you are not allowed into an onsen unless it is owned by Yakuza. Public baths are the same. This is an example.

The relationship of the country who is 97% Japanese to that 3% minority population is different from say the US where the majority isn't even about 55% of the population.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options

NOT SURE IF GOOD

how's your pratfall game

This is blind privilege

her adorkable laugh

her dreamy monologue about how happiness is in the little things

the way she briefly touched his fingers when she took his credit card

that's love, Alazull. Love.

Well, this would be why my last girlfriend called me "emotionally distant" huh?

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular

Neither.

Did you get workman's comp? If not, that ain't right.

If you're given a task where you know you'll do enough damage to your body to prevent you from working for 1-2 days, you should either be able to refuse that task, OR be paid extra for that task to cover the losses from missing work.

This discussion has been closed.