The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Aurora: Kim Stanley Robinson is breaking my heart

majanzmajanz Registered User regular
Its been out since July, but I finally got around to Kim Stanley Robinson's latest novel, "Aurora".

5178VB4WBRL._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Anyone else here a hard scifi buff? This book is not for the easily distracted. In fact it kind of falls into that genre of science fiction that I like to call, "Novelized Doctoral Dissertations".

Yeah! Another 3 chapters on the importance of Benzine on healthy ecosystems! I can't wait!

I'll be honest, I didn't finish the book. I didn't even make it to the final chapter.

And I'm a huge Kim Stanley Robinson fanboy! Okay, I'm a huge Mars Trilogy Fanboy! Plucky humans using their mighty brains and opposable thumbs to conquer new worlds, etc.! Even if they aren't doing the do with green skinned women I still love it!

But this novel... I can't say why its breaking my heart without spoilin' the fudge out of it - but it is... :(

So, anyone else out there masochistic enough to read it?

• majanzmajanz Registered User regular
    I finished it. Now I'm going to find my old 'The Replacements' LPs and cue up 'Unsatisfied'. :?

https://youtube.com/watch?v=DU6IndADEWI

• liquiddarkliquiddark Odd magpie St. John's, NLRegistered User regular
    It's a difficult book, but then so are most of his works. Years of Rice and Salt is one of the best things I've ever read, but holy crap it's sloggy sometimes.

Current project: Contension, a realtime tactics game for mobile
    @oldmanhero .programming .web comic .everything
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Is Kim Stabley Robotson the Green Mars, Red Mars, Two Mars, Blue Mars

• KetarKetar Lacks the basic intelligence required for pretty much everythingRegistered User regular
    40 Signs of Rain was one of the worst books I've ever read by an author I previously enjoyed. It was enough to put me off KSR forever, barring pretty much universal acclaim for a subsequent novel.

Sometimes our strengths lie beneath the surface - far beneath, in some cases - but I'm sure there's more to Ketar than meets the eye!